– 000.2

MP! Gaming Cafe。 — ( story ongoing! )

• • •

chapter zero, part two.

May 31, 2018

Blinking felt like a heavy task for Jikyung now that the fatigue was setting in. All she wanted to do was cuddle up against the office chair and take a nap, but that wasn’t ideal. She needed to finish this.

There was a small window high up that let the sunlight through, granting the room some natural light. The office was congested with file drawers, shelves, boxes, and two desks that each had a desktop for work purposes.

Three piles of papers were in front of her. One for the resumes received, one for those that are rejected, and one for successful candidates to interview.

The door swung open, “Jikyung, my girl!” Minjin grinned that same grin she always wanted to smack off his face, “How’re the resumes going?” The familiar smell of fresh coffee reached her nose. A cream coloured mug straight from their own kitchen is placed right in front of her.

Jikyung scanned the resume in front of her, “Some of these people..”

Silence filled the room.

“Some of these people what?”

“Oh, sorry. It’s just that we’ve got an interesting bunch.” She continued, gathering the resume’s contents and sorting it to the successful pile.

Jikyung eyed the coffee in front of her. She really didn’t need another cup, but she reached for it anyway, warming her hands up. “Thanks for the coffee,” Jikyung brought it to her nose, taking in the aroma.

“You got Hanyeon in there, right?” Minjin peeped over to the pile. Jikyung chuckles, “Yes, I did. Don’t worry so much.” She hears Minjin remove the rain jacket off him, plopping it down on the other swivel chair behind her. “Just asking,” he sing-songed.

A comfortable silence takes place.

“Ah, I think I’m going crazy!”

A faint and familiarly characteristic whine is heard from a male co-worker, highly likely from the kitchen.

A smile grows on Jikyung’s face, “Can you go check on Hyun for me?” Minjin immediately complies, “Of course.” He goes for the door and she turns her head towards him, “Thanks!” Minjin shoots a quick finger gun before shutting the door behind him.

Jikyung enjoys the silence and decided to take a small break, finally taking a sip from the cup of coffee.

The smile on her face widens. The coffee wasn’t heavy and had a good amount of milk. The sugar didn’t overpower her taste buds either.

Minjin always knew how she likes her coffee.

 

Bickering can be heard from the kitchen and Minjin pops his head through the small archway, “And what’s happening here?”

The culprits abruptly halt their quarrel. Manager Hyun’s left ear was caught between manager Sion’s fingers. Both looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

The female manager unhands her co-worker’s ear, “Hyun keeps misplacing the kitchen equipment!” She reports, almost sounding a child ratting out to her classmate. Hyun rubs his ear, easing the pain, “But I literally know where everything is! All the ’s in an organized mess-“

“Okay, and when Yoonju gets a hard time functioning in the kitchen, then what?” Sion cuts in, leaning right up to Hyun’s face. A comical sneer forms on her own face, “Don’t want to give our Yoonju a hard time, right?”

Minjin sheepishly smiles as they continue to argue between each other. Well, he saw no reason to break it apart. Nothing too serious as usual.

He left the two to sort things out and walked up to the front counters. He noticed some quick glances and hushed whispers as he arrived, giving a smile of acknowledgment to the pleasantly surprised customers.

The entrance door swings open, revealing a girl not any younger than him by a couple of years. “Yoonju!” He waved, welcoming the newly promoted employee. The college student blinks, shooting her hands up to wave back as she realizes his presence.

“Minjin, you’re here.” She states, only a slight tone in her voice giving away her delight over the spontaneous visit. “How’s your new manager duties coming along?” He shot a random question and then quickly added, “Hyun been good to you?”

Yoonju opens but instead just blinks, giving herself a moment. “Wait, what’s that supposed to mean?”

Minjin’s face almost blanks, “Ah, well..” He tilts his head sideways, “Hyun and Sion are at the back of the kitchen doing their usual thing.”

“What, making out?” 

“What? No!” Minjin widened his eyes at the image.

Dear God, the sun would rise from the west if that day ever came.

“I’m just kidding, Minjin. Calm down.” She patted his shoulder, passing him by as she lightly skipped further inside and towards the back of the café 

With that, he’s left alone at the front. Every table has been tended to and the customers have busied themselves with either games or their own personal stuff. It’s the noon and a weekday, though the streets of Hongdae are still crowded. It was bright out, clear of the light showers that the city’s gotten for the past few weeks.

Suddenly, he felt a sense of pride and relief flood through him. Minjin was grateful he pulled through with this café. He did it for a lot of people, but he also did it for himself.

Footsteps sound right behind him and he sees Sion lean against the counter beside him, “Hyun never listens.” Minjin can almost agree, “Sure, but not unless Jikyung is in the picture.” Sion sighs, “I don’t know how she does it.”

Well, Jikyung’s always been a force to reckon with.

“I really hope Jikyung will be hiring some good kids,” Sion huffs. He could only absentmindedly assure, “I’m sure she will. I trust her judgment.”

But to be honest, he had a gut feeling all the antics would multiply a hundredfold.

Minjin’s smile shifted just a bit as he remembered the only other manager who was absent for now.

“It’s like I’m always stuck with that absolute . Why can’t I get more shifts with Gaho? At least he’s easy to work with.” Sion complains.

Yeah, about that..

Minjin’s pretty sure the poor guy would suffer the most from all the shenanigans.

He’s also sure Sion would give one hell of work shift for him to share. Gaho always seemed at a loss for words with this girl.

“I’m sure Jikyung has her reasons, Sion.”

author's note: and here's an introduction to the other managers! though i won't be putting up their profiles on the character page soon (i'd be taking too many faceclaims then, so i'll just wait after the applying period is done-). jikyung obviously can't haRD CARRY THE WHOLE PLACE HERSELF! i was itching to write something, so here it is!