Chapter 2: First Impressions

Dhampirica

 

“We’re here” Sooyoung says dryly.

What happened? Where did it all go wrong? Why did I feel so scared all of a sudden. My door suddenly weighed a ton, I used all my strength to push it open and as I try to stand my legs are like jelly. I closed the door and lean on it for support, my breath hitches in my throat and my heart pounds in my ears like a drum. Jiwoo slinked her arm around my waist to help me up, Sooyoung on my side threaded her fingers with mine, brushing her thumb over my hand and patting my head. My unnies are trying their best to comfort me, but it was them who made me feel this way. At least they’re making up for it by walking me across the parking lot towards the institute -- I stopped dead in my tracks causing Sooyoung and Jiwoo to jolt from my sudden action. I scan the building, I can feel my eyes expanding to the size of the moon, my head feels light and suddenly reality washes over me “I don’t even know where my first class is or how University works, where do I even go? This building is so huge, there aren’t ghosts or anything right? This place looks so scary it looks like vampires would be living here oh go-”

Jiwoo placed a hand over my mouth “Shh! Chaewon, you’re rambling again. I feel you sweating, relax! It’ll be fine trust me” reassuring me as she flashes me her million dollar smile “There’s always a freshmen orientation on the first day back, we’ll take you to the auditorium. This place is big, but once you explore it a bit you’ll remember every nook and cranny like the back of your hand” Sooyoung raises our hands, fingers still threaded together as she smiled at me with her eyes.

We enter the building, my nose is immediately attacked with a mixture of scents ranging from an old book smell to lavender essence and .. Bread? I wince in comparison to Jiwoo who has an ear to ear smile, looking at her compared to the foyer we’re standing in she’s like the sun if not shining brighter. Sooyoung unnie on the other hand her eyes looked predatorial, as if she’s scanning the area for someone. I blink rapidly as if an eyelash were in my eye -- am I seeing things? Sooyoung doesn’t look happy in the slightest, a stark comparison to Jiwoo unnie.

Sooyoung gestures Jiwoo to come in closer, now I’m sandwiched in between my unnies and I have no idea why. I’m already having a hard time breathing, my nerves race like a thousand wasps in a jar. A few minutes later we arrive in front of a large wooden door engraved above reads ‘theatrum’, it looks more like a mythical door to Narnia if anything.

My unnies let go of their hold on me and hug me one last time before departing “This is the auditorium, just go in sit down and they’ll handle the rest. If you need anything we’re only a text away, okay?” Jiwoo’s brown orbs gloss over as if she’s going to cry “Jiwoo Unnie, don’t cry I’ll be okay. I’ll contact you if anything” I gave Jiwoo a reassuring hug before the moment is ruined. The door behind me moves both Jiwoo and I forward, luckily Sooyoung caught a hold of us before we ended up on the floor. The three of us stare at the girl  standing in the doorway, she’s adorable and petite, her hair is up in two little buns. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there” her voice boomed throughout the hallway, I swear it was like a giant megaphone was inside of . It caught us all off guard, I smiled at her “It’s alright, we shouldn’t had stood in front of the door anyway” The shorter girl outstretched her hand towards me “Im Yeojin! My name is Yeojin Im, get it? Because my last name is spelled ‘I-M’ so I pronounce it as I’m. Besides that I’m also a freshmen here” My unnies laugh and I do too not to be rude, but because this girl has made a clever pun out of her name. I extend my hand to return the gesture “I’m Chaewon, Park Chaewon and these two are my unnies Jiwoo and Sooyoung”

Something in Yeojin’s eyes caught my attention, it’s as if there was a familiar gleam that I couldn’t recognize when she looked at both Jiwoo and Sooyoung. When I glanced back at the two in a second, all three had an expression that looked like they silently agreed to something without me. Brushing it off Jiwoo and Sooyoung waved me goodbye and headed off to their classes.

I turn to Yeojin who suddenly disappeared, I bat my eyes at the auditorium door still open I assume she ran inside so I followed suit. For someone so small I wonder how she walked way so quickly or perhaps I’m just slow.
I take a few steps inside and the air is thin, the walls are maroon with gothic carved archways and window stained glass in different colours.
The auditorium is quite large, almost like a concert hall in comparison, a giant chandelier hangs above the empodium. The auditorium was dimly lit, with numerous candles all around. Behind me, the entryway was also a very large gothic carved archway with plush gold and red carpets.
“This place sure screams Hogwarts..” I whisper a little too loudly stepping forward quickly I feel a body rooted in place, I fall back on my bottom. I look up to see a girl that definitely wasn’t the girl I met earlier.

Suddenly my palms are sweaty, my legs feel like wet noodles and my stomach is dropping, I’m scared and she hasn’t said a word. The taller girl towered over me, her hair jet black, skin as light as mine but in contrast with her hair she looks like a ghost. Her eyes bore holes into mine as I feel like I’m sinking through the floor somehow. She’s beautiful yet I’m absolutely horrified because I see a flame behind her eyes like a wolf staring down at prey ready to attack. She looks unimpressed and doesn’t seem friendly, but my mind went blank when she extended her hand out for me.I let out a tiny yelp and winced shielding my face with my arm, “Sorry, I thought you could see me so I just stood there hoping you’d walk on the other side” her voice was so soothing to my ears, as if she were coaxing me to calm down.
I relaxed a little and gingerly took her hand, her grip was firm and immediately pulled me up. I am either feather light or this person in front of me is a wrestlemania fighter disguised as a pretty girl.

What seemed to be almost a minute I stare blankly back at her “T-thank you.. Sorry for bumping into you” I say sheepishly. “That’s alright, I’m Hyejoo. Son Hyejoo, nice to meet you and you are?” I hesitate before replying, “My name is Chaewon, Park Chaew-” all of a sudden I hear the familiar booming voice screeching from across the auditorium, “YAAAAAAH HYEJOO, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?” I flinched from the sudden sound but my hand stays in place, my new acquaintance not letting go of my hand as she turns to face Yeojin who races towards us.

Yeojin and Hyejoo seem to know each other, Yeojin’s staring up at the girl with a smirk slowly morphing onto her face as she looked down to see our hands together.