Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Dhampirica

 

 

♪♫♬ Remember me.. Do you remember me? ♪♫♬

I wake up to hear Oh My Girl's remember me playing quietly fading into my ear as I slowly sit up on my bed. Bobbing my head slightly to the beat I hum along, instead of turning my alarm off I smile and whip my duvet off myself and jump out of bed. The song is just about to end as I do the ending pose for my favorite song -- all was great until I start seeing stars, internally cursing at  myself I carry on with my morning routine. Brushing my newly dyed blonde hair, I check myself  out making sure I look extra perfect today as I pose in front of my mirror doing my signature stance 'finger gun point'.

Today I start attending Eden’s University, an exclusive all girls school for Arts, known for their prestigious arts program and being an institute known for rich bratty girls. At least I’ll be killing two birds with one stone I thought "I get to learn more about songwriting and check out cute-girls-in-uniforms-" Stopping myself outloud "Chae, now's not the time to have our heads in the clouds!" Trying to tame myself I feel a blush creeping to my cheeks, sometimes I think someone can hear me thankfully I'm alone in my room.I make my way over to my make-up table and light up my mirror "Mirror, mirror on the wall who's the awesomest of them all?" I say to my reflection every morning, of course it won't answer it's an inanimate object, Chae. After making myself laugh I go on with my usual make-up style, once I finish I tie the top of my hair and tie a black ribbon around it.

10 minutes have gone by and I've been gawking at my new uniform, it looks adorable and on me even better! my signature hairstyle goes well with my attire today.I lean over my nightstand to grab my phone and charger placing both items in my white backpack. I start reminiscing about the little thread patches I made with my best friend Jiwoo. There's a small eden green butterfly and a pineapple on the bottom right of my bag, on the bottom left there's a rainbow heart and a crown on top and on my left back pack strap I've customized it to say "Gowon" a nickname Sooyoung unnie made up for me. I check myself out one last time before my nose is tickled with the sweet smell of vanilla and cinnamon in the air, my stomach growls loudly and I take it as a cue to rush to the kitchen.

"Good morn- Who are you and what did you do with my daughter?” My mother says playfully as she turns to me after pouring the batter into the hot skillet, I'm eyeing the fresh batch of pancakes and back at my mother.  “Morning mum, I am your daughter!” as I scoop a few  pancakes onto my plate “I’ll be getting a ride from Sooyoung and Jiwoo today” and walked to the dining room, sometimes I think our house is unnecessarily large. Although my parents are both architects I’m thankful that they designed this house beautifully.  I’m about to take a bite of my pancakes before I hear a car honking outside.
I whip my  head around, I can see Sooyoung’s Mercedes Benz outside my window (thankfully there’s a huge window in front of the dining room) visible to both my best friend and her girlfriend I gesture for them to come in and join me for breakfast.

I jump from my seat and rush to the front door to let them in. “Ahh! Unnies!! Good morning!” Jiwoo doesn’t hesitate to lock me in a death gripping hug as it feels like she’s wringing out the air from my lungs that I can barely breathe. Meanwhile, Sooyoung stares me up and down “Wow, wow. Princess Gowon living up to her name I see?” She arcs a brow at me and smirks, Jiwoo finally let me go and I try to steady my breath. I straighten my posture and smile at the both of them as I  clear my throat “Why, yes. Unnies as you can see I’ve bleached my hair blonde And tied it up too” I twirl around and end with a courtesy, right on cue Sooyoung makes an audible gasp as if I’ve offended her.

Jiwoo playfully sobs “Our baby Chaewon is growing up so fast!” Her and Sooyoung pretend to wipe a non-existent tear away from their eyes. I roll my eyes and take their hands into mine as I lead them to the dining room “Let’s eat breakfast like a real family before you two turn to dust” I turn to Sooyoung whose face is relaxed morphing into a cringe “YAH! Did you just call us old?!” Our laughter rang through
 the entire house, I swear at least two people in Canada couldn't hear us, we were just that loud.

 

After they finished eating, the trio said their goodbyes to Chaewon’s mother and thanked her for the cakes. 
 

The car ride there, Jiwoo turns to face Chae who sat in the back seat “Are you excited ?? I’m really excited for you Chae! You’ll love it here -- I can’t wait to introduce you to our friends!” Sooyoung shot her a look as if she’s trying to tell her something important, for a quick second Jiwoo turned to her girlfriend, brows furrowed and her expression changed..
morphed into an ‘o’- shape. The car ride was ghost quiet despite the radio being on, Jiwoo’s face went white as a sheet of paper and the air was so thick you could take a slice out of it. Sooyoung caught my eyes through her rearview mirror, smiling apologetically “Don’t worry Chae, I’m sure you’ll make plenty of friends. Just.. Don’t make any enemies. You know how dramatic girls can be” Sooyoung’s eyes were back on the road, gripping the steering wheel her knuckles were turning white, while Jiwoo slumped in her seat.
 

Something was off, they weren’t telling me something my legs suddenly felt like noodles and my head felt like it  weighed a ton, my palms started to sweat and my breakfast was threatening to jump out of my stomach. I whispered under my breath "Today is going to be a very long day..."