Confrontation

cheesy troublemaker

First of all, i would just like to really, really, really, really, REALLY APOLOGIZE FOR THE LONG BREAK I TOOK FROM UPDATING THIS FIC :’(

 

It had been a couple of hours since Sooyoung's 'dramatic' outburst at the cafeteria and she was currently hiding in her secret place. 

 

And by hiding place, she meant by the small gap between the two vending machines at the end of the hallway. If anyone found out she'd occasionally hide here during certain situations, catch her dying of embarrassment right on the spot. Thankfully, no one ever seems to pass by this part of the school, plus the vending machines haven't been repaired since last year and the flickering lights says it won't be long till it's retirement.

 

How long will Sooyoung wait there? Honestly, she's not sure.

 

It kinda seems like most of the school has been cleared, only leaving behind a few teachers in the staff room marking away test papers with the occasional long sighs and a few grumbles of 'I don't get paid enough for teaching these kids' and a janitor too busy jamming to his music player while mopping the already squeaky clean floor. Sooyoung stands up from her crouching position, her legs almost giving out for crouching too long and huffs.

 

This might've been the worst day ever. She finally found her boyfriend cheating on her red-handed (she's forever grateful actually thank you cheerleader chick) and he was exposed in front of the whole school. The pitiful looks everyone gave her were worser though. But the winner of them all was...

 

The face Jiwoo expressed so ever slightly earlier, anguish mixed with guilt and kinda a bit of anger? It was a first for her to see such a not Chuu side of Jiwoo. It just makes Sooyoung realise that she doesn't actually know Jiwoo that well. 

 

Would she still get to know Jiwoo better with the way everything was right now? Ehh, she can't promise that. The latter wouldn't want to talk to her after she ran out of the cafeteria in such a miserable state. Heck, Jiwoo might even go as far as ignoring her whole existence. Laughing bitterly to herself, Sooyoung decides it's finally to go home. She doesn't want to think about the possible events that were about to unfold tomorrow. If she were to guess in one word, it would be disastrous.

 

Tomorrow would be disastrous.

 

She might as well take advantage of returning home earlier than usual and devour each and every ice cream pint in the freezer, considering her older sister isn't there to annoy her as usual. 

 

Well, initially, that was the plan.

 

Everything happened so fast right before her eyes, auburn locks and dilating pupils accompanied by furrowed eyebrows entered her field of vision. The distinct scent of strawberries also tickled her nose and Sooyoung gapes, dumbfounded. With the way Jiwoo was breathing frantically, she would've thought the younger girl had been looking for her all this time.

 

"Sooyoungie!"

 

"Ji-Jiwoo—?"

 

Her eyes had blazing fury in them. She was mad. This was the first time Sooyoung's seen her junior become so mad. "You! . . . " she accused harshly, her footsteps getting louder as she approaches Sooyoung with lightning speed and the older braces herself for a series of shouts, slaps, honestly anything—

 

Only to feel familiar hands wrap around her waist, hands grabbing fistfuls of cloth on Sooyoung's back and Jiwoo's head burying itself into Sooyoung's chest. Sooyoung was taken aback and was clueless on assessing the unexpected situation. She was also painfully aware of her own arms, not sure whether to return the gesture or to push the girl away. This has been the most awkwardest she's ever been.

 

"—I've been searching for you everywhere." Jiwoo exhales breathily, her voice cracking at the end. She sounds like she was on the verge of tears, and it makes Sooyoung's heart ache so much. She was making the girl she liked cry. But . . . why would Jiwoo even search for her, even if she does feel slightly ecstatic at the thought of Jiwoo's mind filled with Sooyoung. She's afraid to ask but she needs to know why Jiwoo would go through such lengths just to find someone like Sooyoung.

 

"H-Hey . . . why were you looking for me?"

 

"Why?" Jiwoo asks in disbelief. "Because I was so worried for you, Sooyoung you big idiot!" Jiwoo calling her an idiot? Wow that's a first. Well to be precise, no one's ever called her an idiot before.

 

Wait. Jiwoo was . . . worried?

 

"You weren't in the practice room, you weren't in the classroom," Jiwoo inhales sharply, "Each toilet stall on the first and second floor, the sport supplies store room, the teacher's lounge, the science labs, and even the freaking cramped janitor's closet!" Sooyoung jaw slackens after hearing the outburst from the younger girl. She'd never thought to see the girl so frustrated, let alone for a reason so dumb.

 

"It's a good thing I didn't stop searching for you though. Even if your hiding place is somewhat lame." Jiwoo snickers, wiping the remaining tears in the corners of her eyes, making Sooyoung's ears burn in embarrassment. God, just let her die on the spot already. 

 

". . . I still don't see the significance of you wasting your time searching for someone like me. Especially after something like that happened. Aren't you ashamed to even be seen associating with someone dumb as me?" Sooyoung doesn't know what she's saying actually. She knows spouting all this nonsense will only make Jiwoo drift further apart from her. Why was she being such a difficult person to the only human she deeply liked?

 

Jiwoo's mouth hangs wide at Sooyoung, tears threatening to spill again. Sooyoung's heart shatters into pieces. She really should watch . "Did you really think I would leave you alone after that bastard pulled that ing stunt on you?" Jiwoo's voice was harsh and cold and accusatory and Sooyoung might have taken it too far. Jiwoo chuckles, but it wasn't the sugary, sweet inducing kind. It makes Sooyoung shiver instead of the usual jittery butterflies in the stomach. 

 

"Geez, I know you probably hate me—" Sooyoung opens to strongly disagree but Jiwoo silences her with the show of an index finger "—don't cut me off." Sooyoung shuts up.

 

"But I would never try to cut you off for whatever reason. I care about you too much to even think of doing such a horrid thing," Jiwoo cares about her? "And in the first place, why would you even think that I'd be ashamed to be friends with you?" Jiwoo asked, a tinge of confusion in her tone. 

 

Sooyoung shrugs her shoulders. "Because I'm a loser. And you deserve better than some loser like me." Sooyoung explained. "And for the record, I could never hate you." 

 

Jiwoo pondered over Sooyoung's statement, giving it a deep thought. Umm, call her obnoxious but wasn't this the part where she was supposed to deny her claims?

 

"Oh yup! You're definitely a loser!" How can she say that with such a stupid grin on her cute face? Sooyoung bites the inside of her cheek. She deserved to be called that though, considering all the times she treated Jiwoo badly.

 

"But so am I," Jiwoo pointed to herself, a sympathetic smile decorating her face. Sooyoung raised her eyebrow in confusion. "We're both losers!" she exclaimed happily.

 

Sooyoung was officially lost.

 

"I'm not really sure what you're getting at Jiwoo."

 

Jiwoo placed both of her hands in Sooyoung's warm hands and rubbed her thumb over the older's knuckles affectionately while she stared back into her brown orbs. Sooyoung felt herself melting under Jiwoo's gaze.

 

"That's exactly my point. You calling yourself a loser doesn't make sense whatsoever, does it? For all I know, you're the most caring, hardworking senior that never half-asses anything, unlike me," Jiwoo points to herself while speaking in a silly tone, prompting a small chuckle from Sooyoung, "And also happened to be the best dancer this school's ever seen. If anything, I think you're a winner!" the corners of Sooyoung's eyes had started producing sweat glands. Yup, she wasn't crying, her eyes were just sweating! Jiwoo hasn't noticed since she's kept her eyes shut tightly.

 

"And y'know . . . I like you so much." Jiwoo mutters softly under her breath, too shy to voice it out louder. 

 

Okay, now hold on.

 

Sooyoung couldn't believe her ageing ears. Did Jiwoo, famous player with cheesiest pick-up lines in the ing universe, just confessed to her?

 

"Do— do you mean that? A-Are you sure?" Sooyoung didn't want to get her hopes up high but dang it, she wanted this moment to be so true. She's secretly wished for the moment Jiwoo might somehow love her back and it was actually happening right before her eyes. "Please tell me this isn't a joke." Sooyoung was outright pleading as she gripped Jiwoo's shoulders. The younger girl was extremely red with embarrassment, her round mochi cheeks expressed that perfectly.

 

"Of course I'm saying the truth!!! Don't you know how much courage I mustered up to get that out of my chest all these years?" Jiwoo whined, playfully punching Sooyoung's chest repeatedly, trying to express her frustration. Sooyoung was speechless. All these years? It's been that long? Her tears kept overflowing and really, it's no point trying to suppress it already. Jiwoo was clearly shocked by Sooyoung's response. She wasn't expecting to elicit any positive response with her confession, let alone a waterfall of tears.

 

"Sooyoung . . . ? Are you alrigh—"

 

Sooyoung envelopes Jiwoo in the tightest hug she's even given anyone. Jiwoo feels her oxygen supply decreasing and is literally a breath away from dying.

 

"I'm such an idiot oh my ing god."

 

"Sooyoung . . . I— can't . . . br-breathe. . . !" Sooyoung doesn't seem to hear and only grips Jiwoo's torso tighter. Maybe Jiwoo's life was too short but she's dying in the arms of her crush so who was she to complain?

 

"I've been lying to you all this time, saying nonsense about how I still liked Yongguk even after the douchebag cheated on me for god knows how many times I already lost count, thinking that he could change in some way for the better, I actually thought he wouldn't even lie to me any more. And look at how ing wrong was I," Sooyoung releases Jiwoo from her death grip and smiles sympathetically. She really was the most pathetic person in the world. Jiwoo doesn't think that though.

 

"That wasn't your fault! You just didn't know he had a stinky personality when you first dated him." Jiwoo pouted. Her cheeks were puffed up whenever she pouted and Sooyoung tried to restrain herself from pinching them into oblivion.

 

"Well, then dating him must have been the worst decision freshman me has ever made."

 

"I couldn't agree more!" Jiwoo says a bit too enthusiastically. She was grinning ear to ear with such a bright smile, no more tear stains decorating her face and gosh, Sooyoung felt her heart growing sizes. It still feels so surreal. Jiwoo confessing her love to Sooyoung, Jiwoo having a crush on her for years without her even knowing. All this time, Sooyoung thought it was one-sided on her part but she didn't even think to consider asking about the younger girl about anything. However, she still had one question she's been itching to ask the younger girl since forever.

 

"Then . . . what about Jungeun?"

 

Jiwoo raised her eyebrows, "What about her?"

 

"I thought you guys were dating?"

 

Jiwoo fell silent. Sooyoung felt her heart speeding up again and her anxiety taking over her body. Why was Jiwoo so shocked?

 

"Wh— What? Me and Jungie? D-Dating?" Jiwoo raised her pitch higher without realisation. "Who told you that?" 

 

Sooyoung touched the back of her neck. "Well, judging from the pecks and looks you guys give each other and how close you two are so I just assumed . . ."

 

Jiwoo's eyes widened and frantically waved her hands around, shaking her head to and fro. "We're just best friends since childhood! I've never thought of Jungeun that way before, it'd be pretty weird since we're practically siblings," Jiwoo explained thoroughly, "Plus, Jungeun likes hot girls and I don't really seem to fit into that concept, do I?" 

 

That was the moment where Sooyoung realised she ed up. 

 

Sooyoung misunderstood their relationship since the beginning . . . She was red with shame as the word friends repeated through her head. Jiwoo was right, she was an idiot.

 

"Don't tell me that's the reason you've been avoiding me lately." Jiwoo asked with slight hesitation wavering in her tone. When she saw Sooyoung nodding slowly, Jiwoo groaned softly.

 

"I was just joking earlier but you really are an idiot."

 

"You don't have to remind me!"

 

Jiwoo snickered as she watches Sooyoung cover her face, too ashamed to reveal it after that stupid misunderstanding. Jiwoo pried open Sooyoung's hands as the older girl was reluctant to reveal it.

 

"Sooyoung, show me your faceeeee!" Jiwoo whines but the latter refuses strongly, her hands not budging from her face one bit. Jiwoo huffs, and finally gives up. Sooyoung was more than happy enough to not show her deep red face.

 

"By the way," Jiwoo reaches for the hem of Sooyoung's shirt and fidgets around with it playfully, "I still haven't heard your answer."

 

An answer? Sooyoung was supposed to answer ...what?

 

". . . To?" 

 

Jiwoo pouted again, it was getting more adorable by each second and maybe Sooyoung should stop thinking about how she'd love to kiss those pouty pink lips away.

 

"My confession! Duh?"

 

Oh yeah. How could Sooyoung forget the highlight of her ing day? She brought Jiwoo's hands that were tugging her shirt up to her lips, softly pecking it and grazed her thumb over the soft skin of Jiwoo's knuckles to and fro without missing a beat. Jiwoo's heartbeat rises, not expecting Sooyoung to commit such a bold gesture.

 

"I love you just as much, if not more."

 

Jiwoo manages to grin despite the slight blush on her face. "Good!"

 

Sooyoung an eyebrow at the younger girl's underwhelming response. "Good? That's all you've got to say? Then are we going out?"

 

Jiwoo shakes her head. Sooyoung's face drops. 

 

" . . . You don't want to date me?"

 

Jiwoo realises her unintentional mistake when Sooyoung's disappointment could be heard clearly in her tone. "I-I do! Just. . . not now," she glances at a hopeful Sooyoung, "Not while you've just broken up with longtime, perfect boyfriend Yongguk."

 

Sooyoung has disgust clearly masked on her face. Maybe she didn't miss him as much as Jiwoo thought she would.

 

"I feel like throwing up whenever I hear his name now," Sooyoung gagged, prompting Jiwoo to let out a loud scoff.

 

"Please, you're exaggerating."

 

Sooyoung shrugged her shoulders, not quite agreeing to Jiwoo's statement since she does feel sort of nauseous thinking about her ex. 

 

Well, Jiwoo did say she wanted to date her right? It felt . . . nice to have the feeling mutual. She's also being considerate about her wellbeing although Sooyoung really think she's fine. But if Jiwoo wants to take it slow, Sooyoung wouldn't stop her.

 

They can take their own sweet time.

 

Sooyoung's eyes trailed down to Jiwoo's parted lips and gulped. Would it be weird to kiss her as friends though? 

 

Jiwoo tugs at the hem of Sooyoung's waistband to get her attention. "Why not we go home and think about this tomorrow? It's getting late." she suggests and Sooyoung can't say no to those eyes. She agrees and they head back and part ways at the intersection. Sooyoung waves at Jiwoo but the latter suddenly runs up to her and plants a little peck on her cheek. It was brief but firm. Sooyoung's face felt hot and she hoped it didn't show.

 

"Let's message each other on LINE tonight!" the younger girl shouts as she runs back to her home. Sooyoung stands still for a few minutes before coming to her senses after a dog sniffs at her legs and readies it's peeing stance.

 

", do your business elsewhere!!!" Sooyoung curses as she jogs away, fearing for her life that the dog would chase her. As she passed house by house, her mind kept replaying Jiwoo's kiss and , maybe she is the happiest girl in the world since her goofy grin kept enlarging on her stupid face.

 

She likes Jiwoo. Jiwoo likes her back. Finally, the universe was starting to make some sense for once.

 

*

 

Sooyoung appears to school tomorrow once again, totally not paying mind to the fact that she broke up with her ex in public yesterday, embarrassing both her and the guy in the process. Still. She figured it was better to get it up and done with, although she wished it would have been done somewhere more privately.

 

Some people are giving her glances. She can hear whispers, some were discreet but most of them were plain obvious. The old her might have been shaken up by all this unwanted attention or she wouldn't have gone to school at all. Sooyoung would come up with the most damned excuses like, "I'm coming down with a fever," or "I have brain cramps from studying and reading books 24/7."

 

It's a miracle that her parents bought these so-called excuses.

 

It's weird. Sooyoung doesn't feel any sort of insecurity or anxiety in her. It's probably due to her reconciliation with Jiwoo (although they didn't fight before, just simply not exchanging words) that made her like this.

 

Was it really Jiwoo's perspective that she's been so paranoid of this whole time? Geez, talk about lovesick, Sooyoung!

 

Sooyoung enters her designated class. Her classmates stop and stare at her for a tad longer than usual, some pitiful, some have... jealousy? Man, what were they jealous of? If they wanted Yongguk so much as their boyfriend then ask the douchebag out! Just don't come crying to her feet later on about how you regret liking some two-timing, piece of trash when it happens!

 

Jinsol walks up to her and just envelopes her in a reassuring hug. Sooyoung is the least bit surprised since it's Jinsol we're talking about, always whiny and in need of warm, fluffy cuddles. Sooyoung doesn't forget to hug her back though.

 

"Hey, you alright? I've heard about everything that's happened yesterday with that… person.”

 

Did Jinsoul think saying Yongguk’s name would jinx her or something?

 

"He's not Voldemort, Jinsoul." Sooyoung playfully rolled her eyes followed by a small chuckle. "And... yea. I'm fine. Well, not exactly that fine, but definitely better than before."

 

Jinsol smiles in relievement. Sooyoung feels at ease too when she finally spots that very Jinsol-like smile. 

 

"Good. And, if that creep ever comes back to try anything with you, be sure to call me up and I'll come running to beat his !" Jinsol stands in some sort of fighting stance while punching the air. Sooyoung couldn't contain her laughter when her best friend was acting so ridiculously.

 

"You can't even hurt a fly! Stop talking big you liar."

 

Jinsol shrugs innocently. "Eh, wouldn't hurt to try right?"

 

The thought of Jungeun suddenly crossed Sooyoung's mind and she felt like a huge dolt all over again. Perhaps she should apologise to Jinsoul over the misunderstanding she had.

 

"Enough about me. How are you with Jungeun?"

 

Jinsoul was appalled, needless to say. Sooyoung used to be so reluctant to hearing about her progress with Jungeun that she never dared to bring up the blonde in a conversation again.

 

"Uh... Good! Actually. We're making plans again this weekend since our last date went better than expected."

 

Sooyoung observed how Jinsoul's face softened, as if she was reminiscing the good memories she made with Jungeun on their date to the amusement park. Sooyoung smiles at Jinsoul. She was happy for her best friend.

 

"I'm happy for you, Jinsoul."

 

*

 

The disciplinary teacher was teaching quantum physics on the whiteboard to the students, something Sooyoung never really cared about. She continued staring out the window and daydreamed about Jiwoo again. She's been doing that lately and even if she tried to stop, she couldn't. The younger girl had completely invaded her thoughts and made a home in it. Her eyes followed a certain womanly figure that kept skipping through the school courtyard without thinking. When she heard a loud squeal of delight, only then Sooyoung realised who she was staring at.

 

The object of her affection, Kim Jiwoo. And it seems that Jiwoo also noticed her staring because she was waving and flailing her arms around to get Sooyoung's attention. Without thinking, she waved back, biting back her smile because of how cute Jiwoo was acting. Maybe it was a mistake that she waved back though. Because Jiwoo was so ecstatic by such a little gesture until she shouted 'I LOVE YOU SOOYOUNGIE!' until it disrupted her class. The disciplinary teacher didn't seem so pleased about it.

 

"HEY, KIM JIWOO! Do you want me to send you to the principal's office for making a racket?!" 

 

Jiwoo's pupils shook in fear and she quickly got to her knees on the courtyard and begged for mercy. "I apologise for my actions, sir! Please don't make me go there againnnnnnn!!!" Jiwoo wailed dramatically. The other students were laughing at the display Jiwoo was putting on while Sooyoung covered her face in embarrassment. Her crush really did the wildest things. Hearing the most obnoxious wolf whistle from behind her, Sooyoung turned around to find the source of such a sound and what awaited her was the sickeningly smug face of Jung Jinsol.

 

"Love huh?”

 

“Shut up.” Jinsol didn’t interrogate Sooyoung any further because the bright red colour on her ears was more than enough of an answer.

 

*

 

Sooyoung was waiting for Jiwoo outside of her classroom so they could walk together to their own respective clubs. Fidgeting with the hem of her blazer, she stood nervously while waiting patiently for her not-yet girlfriend. After a few minutes, the clattering sound of chairs and loud muttering could be heard, meaning that Jiwoo’s class had finally ended. Sooyoung watched as the door flung open, observing student by student to find a certain girl. Jiwoo was the last one out and the delighted expression on her face when their eyes met . . . Sooyoung wouldn’t dare to trade it for anything else in the world.

 

“Hi, sorry that my class ended so late! Were you waiting for long?”

 

Sooyoung tucked a strand of hair behind her ears. “Nah, I only just got here.” Her class ended 10 minutes ago but she wouldn’t say that to Jiwoo’s face.

 

“That’s a relief then!” Jiwoo beamed and Sooyoung felt her heart skipped a beat. “Let’s get going to your dance club then!” Jiwoo took the lead with Sooyoung’s hand in hers and walked with such a bubbly air surrounding her. Just what does Jiwoo eat to have so much energy even after 8 hours of class?

 

“You are weirdly happy today, Jiwoo . . .” 

 

“Well, of course I am!” Jiwoo responded with a look over her shoulder, “I get to walk with such a pretty girl like this, who wouldn’t be overjoyed?”

 

Sooyoung palmed her face. “You and your sweet talking . . . honestly!” Jiwoo chuckled at Sooyoung’s grumbles. Sooyoung may act like she’s mature but in reality she acts like a child in front of Jiwoo. And she really doesn’t want anyone else to see this side of her except for Jiwoo only. The loud hallway slowly turned quieter as they approached the dance club so Jiwoo could drop Sooyoung off before she heads to her taekwondo practice. What awaited them in front of the dance club was quite an unpleasant surprise. Jiwoo felt bile pooling in and she’d live to roundhouse kick the uninvited guest out of their sights but Sooyoung’s violently shaking body couldn’t be ignored. The guy that started all this mess.

 

Yongguk.