not//definitely//jealousy

cheesy troublemaker

When Sooyoung heard the soft hums of Moonlight from behind her, she was, without a doubt, sure of the owner of such a heavenly voice.

 

"Sooyoungie!"

 

Kim Jiwoo. Or, as others would call, Chuu. Sooyoung paid no heed to the warm greeting and continued searching her locker for the books needed for the next period. The cold shoulder she gave didn't even do much damage since she knew the girl's cheeks was already stretching into the wide, sheepish signature smile as per always when they meet each other. Sooyoung braced her ears for the words that were about to come out from Jiwoo's lips.

 

"Are you a parking ticket?" Here it comes...

 

"Cause you've got fine written all over you." And there it is.

 

The goddamn cheesy pick up lines.

 

Every. 

 

Single. 

 

Day.

 

Without fail. Only pure idiots, *coughs* herself *coughs*, would actually find it endearing. It should be a crime honestly, to deliver such embarassing words in public, especially to her, the definition of cool! Outrageous! The nerve of this...

 

Cutie...

 

"How many times have I told you to stop doing that?" Sooyoung spoke harshly but a faint blush appeared on her cheeks. Jiwoo simply giggled.

 

"Do what?" she asked innocently.

 

"You know what I mean."

 

Jiwoo put her tapped her finger on her chin and pretended to ponder. "You mean, my very romantic, swooning, will sweep you off your feet, words of love?"

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes. "Yes, those disgustingly cheesy pick up lines." Jiwoo's lips formed into a pout as she leaned on the locker besides her to get a better glimpse at Sooyoung's side profile.

 

"I know you secretly like them!" 

 

Sooyoung shrugged her shoulders. She never did say she hated them. Not that she'd admit it though. Way too embarassing.

 

"You still keep making moves on me even though I already have a boyfriend. He won't like it, you know?" Sooyoung finally faces Jiwoo after finding the books for Chem. The younger girl scoffed in response.

 

"You mean that cheating douchebag boyfriend of yours?"

 

Sooyoung flinched. "We've talked and he already apologised. He said it was a mistake." Jiwoo was definitely not convinced by the face she was making. She was told that she was a pretty bad liar. "Didn't he gave you the same excuse last month? Or when he went to that club the other night? What about that summer camp last year--"

 

"Stop it!" Sooyoung raised her voice, making all the other students turned their heads to the both of them. Jiwoo still didn't break the eye contact which suprised and irked Sooyoung at the same time. She chose somewhere else to look at, as long as it wasn't Jiwoo's face clouded with concern.

 

"He doesn't deserve you Sooyoung. How long does this have to go on for you to realise that?" Jiwoo reached out to put her hand on her shoulder but Sooyoung simply backed away. She didn't need anyone's sympathy.

 

"Everyone makes mistakes, and Yongguk's not an exception. He said that it wouldn't happen again and I trust him." Sooyoung knows that her boyfriend was never true to his words. Always made empty promises. But she was too proud to admit that Jiwoo was right. So she continued dating the piece of trash he was. 

 

"You still deserve better though." Jiwoo softly muttered under her breath. Sooyoung's ears perked up. 

 

"Oh? Then tell me then who do I deserve then, if not the popular and handsome Yongguk then." Sooyoung stared into Jiwoo's eyes who didn't expect that question, obviously. She was still trying to find an answer, still agape.

 

Please say you. Please say that I deserve you. A part of Sooyoung wished for Jiwoo to say that.

 

"I-"

 

"KIM JIWOO!" A sudden roar by the disciplinary teacher in the hallways made Sooyoung and Jiwoo yelped in surprise at the same time. He was the most feared man at school, even more terrifying than the principal when he has his glasses on. That way, he can see much clearly, the students who were always on his hitlist. And one of those students happened to be Kim Jiwoo. She wasn't harmful really. Just caused some trouble here and there,  and had ended up not on time for some classes but nothing too bad. But somehow, she was one of the disciplinary teacher's favourite students to see. And by favourite, she meant it in a bad way, of course. Jiwoo was ready to make a run for it until the teacher managed to yank her hoodie from behind.

 

"Ack!"

 

"Are you aware that you should be in detention right now?" the man's piercing eyes were staring daggers at Jiwoo who was still trying to squirm her way out from the man's iron grip. 

 

"I was just heading my way there, I swear!" Jiwoo held up both of her hands in defence. The teacher was having none of that.

 

"Nice try, kiddo. And how many times must I remind you that this jacket is a violation of our school rules?" he continued scolding the poor girl while pinching her ears and practically dragged her away from Sooyoung.

 

"Owowow-- This is my signature look sir! You can't erase me of my identity--" Jiwoo somehow escaped the teacher's tight hold on her ears to shout to Sooyoung, "See you later Sooyoung-- OWOWOW THAT HURTS!" she yelped again when the teacher continued dragging her by the ear to the detention room. Sooyoung wasn't even sure of how to react to this whole incident. Other students who witnessed this simply went back to their own matters since this was an everyday sight at school. She closed her locker and was about to make her way to the lab when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

 

"Well, who do we have here Miss, 'I'm Too Cool To Respond To Chuu's Everyday Adorable Cheesy Pick Up Lines', Ha Sooyoung?" 

 

Jinsol was so smug about this and Sooyoung deeply regretted telling her about the way she felt about Jiwoo's words since she never knew the blonde would clown her about it. What a fool she was for thinking Jinsol could help sort out her feelings for Jiwoo?

 

"Haha. Very funny, Jinsol." Sooyoung said sarcastically. The blonde probably took it as a compliment since there was no snarky comeback from her as usual. Sooyoung never wanted to facepalm herself so badly before.

 

"Thanks, but I've always known that I'm hilarious!" Sooyoung scoffed in response. Jinsol was nudging her for some reason and Sooyoung was not catching up on her implementation. She didn't feel like guessing today.

 

"What d'ya want?"

 

"Are you seriously asking that? Didn't you see Chuu just now? Head over heels for you, as per usual?" Jinsol had the word appalled written all over her face. Sooyoung tried to not understand what her friend was saying, even if she totally understood everything she said.

 

"I think you should seriously consider glasses Jinsol. That girl acts with everyone like that, not only me," Sooyoung shifted her gaze elsewhere, "I'm not special."

 

Now it was Jinsol's turn to scoff. "Yeah, she could come propose to to you on her knee with a ring and everything and you'd still deny it right?" Sooyoung felt strange. She liked the sound of Jiwoo proposing to her, yet she shouldn't.

 

"That won't happen, obviously. You're exaggerating."

 

"Keep telling yourself that then." Jinsol didn't want to press the topic about Jiwoo any longer and neither did Sooyoung. "Have you heard that we're getting a new student today?"

 

Sooyoung's eyebrows raised in surprise. A new student. At this time of the year? How strange.

 

"That's news to me. From where did you receive this piece of information?" the thought of a new student picqued Sooyoung's curiosity. She could make friends with the supposedly new student and gain some praises from the school board and the students for attempting to get the new student to fit in. Or, she just wanted to imagine the look on Jiwoo's face when Sooyoung has someone new to get closer with. Wait, was she even hearing herself right now?

 

"Overheard the teachers talking about it in the staff room. I hope it's a cute girl cause' I've been dying for a girlfriend lately!" Jinsol says, a bit too loudly for Sooyoung's ears. "I'm not gonna die alone yet, you hear me Sooyoung?! Not until I score myself a babe!"

 

"Uhh, alright? Good luck with that then, Jinsol."

 

It's as if Jinsol was a completely different person now, how her eyes were brightly sparkling just a moment ago but those same pair of eyes had suddenly turned serious. It even made Sooyoung stopped walking to ask her what was wrong.

 

"... What's with you all of a sudden?" Sooyoung hesitantly asked.

 

Jinsol moved closer to Sooyoung. "I heard he did it again yesterday evening, Sooyoung. He was caught in the gym supplies room by some of the freshmen who wanted to lock the room." Honestly, Sooyoung wasn't even surprised anymore. Just dissapointed. She saw the same pitiful expression on Jinsol that was on Jiwoo's just moments ago and how she despised those expressions, as if she was a pathetic plaything used for that jerk's amusement in their eyes. She hated receiving pity. Even if she knew that Jinsol's words had a 99.9% chance of being correct, she still wanted to deny her claims, just so she didn't seem like a loser.

 

"There's no proof. I can't believe what you say until Yongguk comes and admit it himself."

 

"I-- Wha-- Sooyoung..?" Jinsol couldn't even form any coherent words anymore. Honestly, mood. "Do you want to wait until he shatters your heart to absolute pieces and trample on the shards to make you completely realise that he's a total son of a or what--"

 

"Hi y~"

 

Ugh, even his voice disgusted Sooyoung. Jinsol stopped her little rant even if she wanted to let the guy listen to what she had to say. Yongguk brought his arm around Sooyoung's neck and leaned closer towards but merely missed it when Sooyoung turned her face slightly, making it land on the corner of her lips. He seemed pretty upset but Sooyoung wasn't about to give him the privilege of being her first kiss.

 

"Aww, why so cold? I really missed you~"

 

The nerve of him to ask such a stupid question. "Sorry. Just not really in the mood now." He really came at the worst time, and she could see Jinsol's unsettling face. Yongguk shrugged his shoulders to say that he understood and eyed Jinsol in a menacing way.

 

"Was this chick bothering you, babe?" 

 

"Excuse me?" Jinsol was pissed off. Oops, he should've known that Jinsol was the scariest thing when she was mad. But Sooyoung probably didn't mind seeing him getting beaten up by her, no she'd actually really like it. She was even willing to pay to see the jerk beside him lose a tooth or two.

 

"I'm her friend, not some chick. And you're the one who's bothering us." Jinsol said, matter-of- factly. 

 

"Hey, can't a good-looking dude like myself get to spend some time with his incredibly y bomb of a girlfriend?" Yongguk responded, shrugging his shoulders and turned to smile sleazily at Sooyoung. As much as she wanted to tell him to go drop dead by now, her parents taught her to do everything elegantly, like how a lady should. So instead, she simply returned a small smile and nothing more. Jinsol was about to gag from the sight in front of her.

 

"Oh wow, I might actually puke. Anyways, I have a class to get to so, later Sooyoung!" Jinsol gave a final stink eye to Yongguk and a waved slightly at Sooyoung, who returned it. Now, she was left with her jerk of a boyfriend.

 

"Well, your friend was kinda hot."

 

Was he actually saying this right in front of her girlfriend? Sooyoung just can't wait to break up with him soon.

 

"I'm just right here beside you, what the actual ? And fyi, she's a lesbian so don't even start having some ideas." Yongguk didn't even flinch, but the disgustingly smug grin on his face kept getting bigger and for what honestly?

 

"What, you jealous I called someone else other than you hot?"

 

He's a total nut case, is what Sooyoung concluded. How did she even agree to date him in the first place anyway? If the girl he was seeing actually wanted him, then by all means go ahead and have him, her ing pleasure. Sooyoung rolled her eyes in response, too lazy to give a proper reply.

 

"You wish." But he wasn't listening.

 

"But it's such a shame though? A babe with looks and a body like that going towards waste," he shook his head with displeasement, "She just haven't found the right man."

 

Eww, how did Sooyoung not know she was dating a total homophobe? Yongguk was getting disgusting as time went by.

 

"Um, who she likes is literally none of your ing business. If she prefers over then so be it goddammit." Sooyoung snaps at him which actually stunned him for a moment. He frowned again shortly after.

 

"You're such a buzzkill babe. Always serious as always and can't take my jokes--"

 

"I heard you got some action with another girl yesterday," Sooyoung simply cut to the chase, "Any explaining to do?"

 

Yongguk's eyes seemed panicked for a moment, if Sooyoung wasn't mistaken. He was getting better at playing dumb since he quickly changed said expression.

 

"Nothing to explain babe. I haven't touched anyone else other than you ever since I promised that day." Sooyoung could believe him, if only he wasn't doing such a poor job of covering the totally obvious hickey on his neck. He wasn't even trying anymore, just slapped a plaster on it. He could've wore something to cover up the mark or put some concealer. Did he think Sooyoung was that stupid? Or that she was a forgiving saint? He could go himself for all Sooyoung could care.

 

"What's that?" Sooyoung pointed to the plaster on Yongguk's neck and asked in a demanding tone.

 

"Bug bite."

 

Yeah, right. Why was Sooyoung even wasting her time with him? She had a class to go to.

 

"Whatever you say, Yongguk. I'm heading to class and you should be as well." Sooyoung kept her response curt. Her headache was killing her from just listening to his blatant lies.

 

"Oh okay then. Love you babe!"

 

Sooyoung didn't respond back. It was probably because of three options which are:-

 

a) She doesn't genuinely love Yongguk

 

b) She's fallen for someone else much charming (and by charming, she meant Kim Jiwoo's endearing smile and brown eyes charming).

 

c) All of the above

 

Option C scared Sooyoung the most, since it feels the most correct answer as of now. Her newfound feelings still feel a little fuzzy to her but it's been quite a while, how those feelings still kept lingering in her. And it all started with those damn cheesy pick-up lines. She still remembers it clearly, the first memory of her and Jiwoo together when she had first arrived at the school and saw Sooyoung who was a sophomore at that time.

 

*

 

"Umm, excuse me?" the younger girl timidly approached Sooyoung which couldn't help but smile at her shyness.

 

"Can I help you with anything?" Sooyoung responded. She was probably lost in this huge place and wanted to go somewhere.

 

"Would you touch my arm so I could tell my friends that I've been touched by a literal angel?"

 

Oh. That was unexpected. 

 

"... W-What?... I mean--" Sooyoung was fumbling with her words in front of a junior. How embarassing. The girl kept smiling shamelessly at Sooyoung, clearly enjoying the tinted red colour decorating her cheeks. The audacity--

 

"Chuu! I've been looking for you all over girl!" an extremely beautiful girl with russian features came and tugged the brunette away from Sooyoung. She didn't look mad, just annoyed.

 

"We're already late for the ceremony and you still have time to woo girls?"

 

"I was just on my way Heejin!"

 

Both girls seemed to have forgotten about Sooyoung's presence which made her feel slightly awkward. Is this what it feels like to be the third-wheel? Before Sooyoung could back away from the two juniors, the shameless girl jogged back to say something to her.

 

"Sorry for putting you on the spot earlier. I'm Jiwoo but you can call me Chuu!"

 

"Um... Ha Sooyoung." First it was pick up lines, now introductions? Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

 

Jiwoo shook Sooyoung's hands excessively to show her excitement. "See you around then!"

 

Sooyoung didn't know what answer would be appropriate but she figured a simple smile would suffice. The two juniors slightly bowed before running at full speed ahead towards the auditorium. Sooyoung looked back at her hands which were still warm from that Jiwoo girl's touch.

 

What on Earth just happened...?

 

*

 

Right. It all started from that cursed moment where Jiwoo had been the only thing on her mind that day. She had a knack for making girls blush and it was effective on Sooyoung, even if she was one who hardly expressed much on her face. Until this day, she's been finding a way to get back at Jiwoo for playing with her feelings. She told herself so many times that it was nothing, just a trick Jiwoo played on her. But just look at her now. She was so lost.

 

Whatever. Sooyoung was going to put this behind her with a delicious packet of bread and juice at the cafeteria after class. She already has enough things to think about. Like on how to finally find a way to break up with that Yongguk bastard.

*

The bell finally rings after what it seems like decades and Sooyoung's stomach has been growling during Chem until the teacher had to stop teaching just to ask her if she was alright. She was outright mortified and couldn't forget the priceless reactions from her classmates. Why did she seem so unlucky today? But, thank god it was finally recess. She could meet up with Jinsol and get more info on the new at student.

 

When she arrives, the cafeteria is much hectic than usual. Looks like she's not going to get her lunch that easily today then. She rolled up her sleeves, preparing to enter the battlefield before her at the counter with sweaty teenage boys fighting amongst themselves to earn the bread of the day. Suddenly, she heard a faint voice calling her name from somewhere.

 

"... young-- Sooyoung!"

 

She turned around and saw Jinsol waving at her with her favourite bread in her hands. Well, that saves her the trouble of fighting for food with the other students. Maybe Jinsol  deemed to be useful at times, maybe.

 

" Ugh, you're my saviour," Sooyoung plopped on the seat in front of Jinsol and high fives her in the process, "How'd you even get one of these babies?"

 

Jinsol huffed proudly and winked at Sooyoung. "The teacher let us out early, or rather, I excused myself early by asking to go to the toilet five minutes before the bell and made a dash to the cafeteria!"

 

"You didn't get caught by the disciplinary teacher?" Sooyoung asked in amazement knowing that he would always patrol during recess so the students wouldn't get too rowdy. 

 

Jinsol had a coy smile plastered on her face. "I memorised his schedule for the week and it stated that he had a meeting at recess so voila!" She spreaded out her arms towards the heap of buns on the table. "I got all these for half price~"

 

Sooyoung let out a small gasp. How did she not notice these many buns right before her eyes? Jinsol kept nodding to herself, very satisfied with everything now.

 

"I'm so grateful for being your friend."

 

"You should be!" Jinsol slammed her fists on the table loud enough to only make Sooyoung give her full attention. "So, get this! I already saw the new student and it's a girl! Not to mention that she's hot and definitely my type!" Jinsol couldn't keep herself still in her seat. It reminded Sooyoung of an excited puppy.

 

"Ooh, interesting. How did she look like?"

 

Jinsol was like a lovestruck girl, kept giggling and her mind was so out of it. In all honesty, it creeped Sooyoung just a teeeensy tiny bit. But she must've looked like this whenever she used to talk to Jinsol about Jiwoo so she decided to keep her lips zipped.

 

"She had blonde hair, like me! And red lips that deserves a lipstick CF and mysterious brown eyes which kept mesmerizing me and--" Jinsol stopped talking but her jaw dropped. Sooyoung was confused as to why Jinsol had stopped describing the new girl but her shaking finger pointed to a person who fitted exactly with Jinsol's description.

 

"T-That's her!"

 

Sooyoung had to admit, the girl was definitely cute. She looked chic, and everyone had their eyes on her as she passed by all the tables. She saw that the girl was walking towards a table with three girls waving excitedly at her. And one of those girls, Sooyoung squinted her eyes to give herself a clearer view in case she was mistaken, was Jiwoo. Did they know each other? The blonde girl was smiling widely and started to run and was greeted by a pair of arms that belonged to Jiwoo herself.

 

"Jungie!" 

 

So they did knew each other. Sooyoung saw Jiwoo burying her face on the new girl's collarbone and planting a peck on the cheek which made the blonde chuckle loudly. 

 

They seem close. Were they best friends or . . . something more? Sooyoung was deep in thought until Jinsol brought her back to reality. 

 

"Ohh, so it seems that Chuu already knows the new girl? Guess I have to ask her for them digits then!" Jinsol was already on her second serving of bread but Sooyoung hasn't even opened her own packet. She somehow lost her appetite after she saw Jiwoo acting too friendly with that Jungie girl. Too friendly for Sooyoung's own liking. But it wasn't like Jiwoo belonged to her anyways. She doesn't have any right to be mad at the junior associating with other people.

 

Then, what do the knots she felt in her stomach explain? She knew that it was in Jiwoo's nature to be outgoing with everyone she met but this new girl was different. But the sparkling eyes they gave each other as of now didn't seem like what normal friends would usually do.

 

And, Sooyoung doesn't find the idea of Jiwoo being more than friends with someone other than herself pleasant. She actually finds it very unpleasant. But this can't be jealousy, 

 

Right?

 

It just can't be.

 

 

A/N

Check out my twitter @tiredorbit for some updates or sumthin ^^