Start of Something

Panic At The Neighbors House

“I can’t be a father!”

 

“Sanghyuk-“

 

“No, I seriously can’t!”

 

Taekwoon sighed as he watched Sanghyuk pace, hands running through his hair. All he wanted to do was go home and get some rest but judging by the howling of the blizzard outside that wasn’t an option. Now, he had to deal with Sanghyuk doubting his abilities to raise a child.

 

Okay, he also remembered what Rowoon had called him on Christmas.

 

It was cute how Rowoon turned to Sanghyuk when he needed something, and how soft Sanghyuk got around the child who he has only know for a couple of months.

 

Taekwoon rubbed his face. “Sanghyuk, calm down-“

 

“He called me ‘dad’, Taekwoon. Now Amelia is asking me if I am going to take him in.” Sanghyuk sounded so distressed but Taekwoon could hear the faint softness and love that lingered in Sanghyuk’s tone whenever he spoke of Rowoon.

 

“Why can’t you?” Taekwoon asked instead, folding his arms and meeting his gaze. “What is preventing you from taking him in?”

 

“I’m too young.” The excuse sounded weak.

 

“And?” Taekwoon knew several people that had children younger than Sanghyuk – even as teenagers and they managed to raise a child. “Just because you’re young means nothing when it comes to parenthood. You are mature enough.”

 

Sanghyuk’s shoulders sagged as he bit his lip making Taekwoon wish he’d stop biting them. He was going to make them bleed. Not because he wanted to kiss them properly – no, not at all.

 

Maybe just a little bit.

 

“Those young parents had other people to help them most of the time.” Sanghyuk tried to argue.

 

Taekwoon felt a pang of pain in his heart at Sanghyuk’s statement.

 

“What about me?!” He cried out causing Sanghyuk to jump in shock. “I am here for you. So is Hakyeon, and Jaehwan, Wonshik and Hongbin! They love Rowoon – even if they tease you about being too young to be a father.”

 

Sanghyuk bit his lip and shook his head. “It means…nothing.”

 

“How does it mean nothing?!” Taekwoon failed to see Sanghyuk’s reasoning in this conversation. Him being too young was a valid reason but the fact that he had friends that were there for him wasn’t?

 

“I’m a witch!” Sanghyuk snapped. “If they ever found out they’d never let me raise a child, even if he has a knack for magic himself!”

 

Taekwoon paused and stared, noticing the tears b underneath Sanghyuk’s eyes which he was obviously trying not to show. The faint tremble in his body gave away his actual distress.

 

“I’ll be kicked out of town and they’ll force me to give Rowoon back, they’ll send him away to a camp to try and get the magic out of him.” Sanghyuk whimpered, realising his act was up.

 

Taekwoon took a step forward and held a hand up in a silent question. Sanghyuk wiped his eyes before crashing and leaning towards Taekwoon, who grunted under the added weight on his body.

 

He ran his fingers through Sanghyuk’s hair, feeling the tension in his body. “You will be fine, Sanghyuk. You will have me no matter what. If they try to make you leave, I’ll take in Rowoon myself.”

 

Sanghyuk whimpered. “But your place can’t have a child comfortably.”

 

“Who said anything about staying in my place?” Taekwoon teased. “Rowoon would be your kid, I’m not going to keep him from you.”

 

Sanghyuk stiffened and leaned back, eyes meeting Taekwoon’s with a clear look of confusion. “Why?”

 

“Because I know your life was the same as Rowoon’s and that you love him even if you don’t explicitly show it.”

 

He had a terrible life before finding Jaehwan and even then, it wasn’t the best until moving here apparently. Taekwoon tried to avoid the fact that Wonshik had indicated that Sanghyuk’s life turned better since meeting him. Sanghyuk claimed Rowoon was part of it – but didn’t deny Taekwoon’s involvement.

 

Sanghyuk wiped his eyes as he struggled to keep the tears at bay – Taekwoon still didn’t associated crying with Sanghyuk as this was the only time he had seen him cry. It was startling.

 

Sanghyuk still looked like he doubted him, Taekwoon ignored the stabbing pain in his heart.

 

“You love Rowoon and he adores you, and I love Rowoon but he is closer to you and anyone can tell that out of everyone in this town, he’ll choose you over everyone else. Even those who would be more qualified to take care of a kid. And, I want to help you with Rowoon because I love you and I love kids, going so far as to the fact I don’t want you to struggle with changes in your life.”

 

Sanghyuk opened his mouth. “I can’t help my doubts, and Rowoon does adore you, and-“

 

He fell silent, expression morphing from one of distress to confusion to shock.

 

“What?” Taekwoon asked, not catching onto Sanghyuk’s surprise.

 

Sanghyuk smiled to himself, ducking his head. Chuckling, it sounded dry and pained. “You don’t love me, Taekwoon.”

 

Oh.

 

That’s what he had said and paid attention to.

 

“Why can’t I?” Okay, he probably should play it off but if he does then Sanghyuk would never believe his true feelings for him.

 

“You don’t know me.” Sanghyuk muttered, keeping his gaze from Taekwoon clearly indicating he was worried about Taekwoon catching onto his thoughts.

 

Taekwoon noticed Sanghyuk shrink in on himself and bit his own lip to try and figure out how to prove to Sanghyuk that he does love him. He stepped forward and tugged Sanghyuk back towards him.

 

“Sanghyuk.”

 

“Don’t.” He tried to push himself away but Taekwoon clung on tighter.

 

Taekwoon reacted quickly. Sanghyuk needs to know his feelings are genuine, and honestly, only one option seemed appropriate as of right then. Considering his brain was trying to focus on several things at once, this narrowed it down to only a few.

 

He kissed him.

 

Sanghyuk stiffened before he shivered and melted into Taekwoon.

 

Taekwoon felt Sanghyuk wrap an arm around him, drawing him ever so closer. Fingers digging into his side and slightly lifting up his shirt as his hand moved upwards.

 

Was Sanghyuk always this warm?

 

He let out a small whimper at the action as his own hands clutched at Sanghyuk’s shoulders. Pressing chest to chest and could feel a soft rumble escape Sanghyuk.

 

Taekwoon pulled away, breaking off the kiss and let his eyes flutter open once he took a couple of breaths.

 

Sanghyuk’s eyes were still closed and his breath raced across Taekwoon’s face as he struggled to compose himself. He whispered something under his breath, too quiet for Taekwoon to hear it but it seemed to relax him.

 

“Sanghyuk?” Taekwoon whispered, hoping he hadn’t jumped to conclusions.

 

He shook his head and leaned back in to kiss Taekwoon, almost slamming him against the wall. Taekwoon gasped at the action. Okay, he was not expecting that response. He was expecting to be pushed away and told to leave once the blizzard quietened.

 

This was not something that Taekwoon was complaining about though. Perhaps they could push it further? Now, that was something he wanted to test.

 

“Not what I was expecting.” Taekwoon gasped when Sanghyuk finally broke the kiss.

 

Sanghyuk huffed. “I am surprised as well.”

 

They both leaned against each other, Taekwoon felt his body wedged between two strong and solid surfaces. He panted and tilted his head up slightly to meet Sanghyuk’s gaze, with a heated feeling behind them. His fingers dug into his shoulders.

 

Sanghyuk rested their foreheads together, hand coming up to push Taekwoon’s hair out of his face.

 

“Beautiful.” Sanghyuk whispered and Taekwoon felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment at the words. “How…Why do you love me?” Clearly, he didn’t want Taekwoon to hear that latter part of his comment but he still did.

 

Taekwoon blinked and raised his eyebrows. “What it chronologically or alphabetically? We’ll be here for a while.”

 

Sanghyuk looked surprised before his smile grew soft, and it was something that Taekwoon loved viewing more. It suited him the best.

 

“What about you?” Taekwoon asked, feeling guilty but suddenly he couldn’t shut his mouth. “I can’t be the only one expressing these emotions.”

 

“Would I have kissed you if your emotions were unrequited?”

 

“No.”

 

Taekwoon leaned forward and felt his eyes slipping shut. , he was tired. He should probably get some rest. Feeling his lips move, Taekwoon figured he actually spoke out loud which was reaffirmed by Sanghyuk’s response.

 

“Yeah, let’s get you to bed.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

The wind still howled loudly outside, the sound causing Sanghyuk to stir awake slightly. Yet, he didn’t want to move, or more actually – he couldn’t move easily. As if something was keeping him pinned to the mattress.

 

His eyes blinked up and tilted his head down to see a mop of black hair right underneath his chin. The feeling of fingers curling around his shirt and tugging at it ever so slightly. Clearly, Taekwoon wasn’t awake as his breathing indicated.

 

Sanghyuk moved his hand to run his fingers through Taekwoon’s hair, shifting so he was slightly sitting up against his pillows. His eyes drifted shut as he kept an ear out for anything that should alter him or convince him to get out of bed. Which was warm and comfortable, more so with Taekwoon’s body pressed against his.

 

This was something he could definitely get used to.

 

“Sanghyuk?” He turned to see Starlight sitting in the doorway, looking much to amused and smug about the Sanghyuk’s current situation. He tilted his head and grinned, his teeth sharp and glinting in the light. “Should I bring Taekwoon something in case he is unable to walk?”

 

“ you, nothing happened.” Sanghyuk hissed.

 

His familiar did not look convinced before he stretched. “Wonshik, Jaehwan and Hongbin have just returned. I am pretty sure they accidentally revealed magic to Hakyeon because Wonshik and Hongbin were snapping at Jaehwan.”

 

Sanghyuk grumbled as he attempted to get out of bed. He wasn’t surprised that if that were the case, it would be Jaehwan. He had a knack for revealing things that should be kept a secret at the most unconventional of times.

 

“Hakyeon’s is most definitely going to call Taekwoon and it will wake him up.” Sanghyuk was able to slip form bed even though he regretted it when Taekwoon whimpered and curled in on himself, drawing the blanket closer to his body.

 

Oh . He was cute.

 

“Stop ogling your boyfriend and help me stop Hongbin from murdering Jaehwan and tainting this house.” Starlight grumbled as he trotted off, forcing Sanghyuk to follow him.

 

Sanghyuk pressed a kiss to Taekwoon’s forehead. “I’ll be back soon.”

 

Taekwoon groaned and opened his eyes by a crack and stared at him. “Okay.” He nodded before nuzzling back into the pillow and drifting back to sleep.

 

Yeah. Sanghyuk was one hundred percent screwed.

 

Sanghyuk entered one of the spare bedrooms and saw Jaehwan rocking on the bed. Eyes focused on nothing in particular, so much that he didn’t even look up when Sanghyuk appeared. Hongbin and Wonshik weren’t in the room so Sanghyuk figured they were cooking.

 

Great. He hoped they didn’t set off the fire alarm again. Their attempts at cooking were feeble at best but still surprisingly edible.

 

“Jae-“

 

“He hates us!”

 

Sanghyuk wasn’t even fazed by Jaehwan loud outburst, this being his usual life for the near past decade, since finding Jaehwan at the age of seventeen. He had known Jaehwan for eight years? Really?

 

Sanghyuk shook his head. “It’s Hakyeon. He is unable to hate anyone. He’d probably more hurt that he wasn’t made aware of it earlier.”

 

“Hurt leads to hate.”

 

“If it is lead to stew for too long, yes.”

 

“He will hate us, he’ll make Taekwoon ignore us.”

 

“No, he won’t.”

 

Jaehwan tilted his head to stare at Sanghyuk, gaze calculating. “How do you know that?”

 

“Because I know Hakyeon. I may be hurt but I also know Taekwoon. They are both stubborn and unreasonable but then again, everyone is and you can’t blame them for it.” Sanghyuk looked out the window to see the blizzard had died down. “I’m going to see Rowoon so I might as well tell Hakyeon to meet me there.”

 

“He’s gonna kill you.”

 

“He won’t.”

 

Sanghyuk returned to his room to change, he’ll pick up something quick to eat while out. There is a small magic café on the outskirts of town which he likes so he should probably take Hakyeon there. The magic veil will keep his magic hidden from outsiders so that is an added bonus.

 

Rowoon also gets to experience a different type of magic – mostly angel magic.

 

Their foods are delicious after all.

 

He pulled on a fresh set of clothes and sent a text to Hakyeon.

 

Sanghyuk: Let me explain

 

Sanghyuk: Meet me at Café Coral in twenty minutes, I’m picking up Rowoon so I’ll meet you there

 

Hakyeon: Want me to pick a table?

 

Sanghyuk: If you want

 

“Sanghyuk, where are you going?” Taekwoon asked as he sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he stared at Sanghyuk who had just finished changing.

 

“Jaehwan accidentally revealed magic to Hakyeon so I’m going to go and talk with him to clear up any misunderstandings from him. I’m also taking Rowoon cause it’s a magic café and if he has a knack for magic, he should get exposure to it.” Sanghyuk explained.

 

“Can I come?” Taekwoon was already clambering out of bed and looking around the room for Sanghyuk’s wardrobe. “He is my best friend after all.”

 

Sanghyuk raised an amused eyebrow. “Did I just hear Taekwoon call Hakyeon his best friend? Usually you call him an idiot and jerk who never leaves you alone.” He ignored Taekwoon’s relatively annoyed gaze and motioned towards his dresser. “My clothes are in there, there might be some that can fit you but I’m not sure. I think some are Wonshik’s and they’d definitely fit you.”

 

Sanghyuk waited until Taekwoon was dressed and almost had a heart attack when he realised that, yes, Taekwoon was fully wearing his clothes.

 

They were just a little too baggy to fit Taekwoon comfortably but he didn’t seem to care all that much. The sleeves on the jacket were way too long and you couldn’t even see Taekwoon’s finger tips at all, and it was also a few sizes too big and hung low on his legs.

 

“Too adorable.” Sanghyuk teased as he checked Taekwoon out making him flush at the clear attention Sanghyuk was giving him. “Those clothes would look better on the floor however~”

 

Taekwoon screeched but Sanghyuk was grabbing his wrist and pulling him after him, calling for Starlight to make sure that Wonshik doesn’t burn the place down and Hongbin to not kill Jaehwan. That they’d be back in a little while, not sure when exactly.

 

They got a chorus of farewells before they began their walk towards the orphanage where Rowoon would be spending the day.

 

That would soon change.

 

The air was still cold and nippy, striking their revealed skin as Taekwoon pretty much clutched onto Sanghyuk to try and avoid the wind. Sanghyuk hummed as he wrapped an arm around Taekwoon to keep him close and to make it comfortable for the both of them.

 

“Why are we walking?” Taekwoon whined. “Cars are a thing.”

 

“The town is too small for cars to be mainstream here. Plus, the exercise is good.”

 

“It is cold, are you trying to kill me by hypothermia?”

 

“You wanted to come with me, so don’t complain.”

 

“I will complain if I want to complain.”

 

Sanghyuk just sighed as he knocked on the door of the orphanage, pointedly ignoring Taekwoon’s whines about it being too cold for him to be out of the house for more than a few minutes.

 

Amelia opened the door and looked surprised upon seeing them. “Sanghyuk, Taekwoon, what are you doing here?”

 

“We are going to a café and we wanted to bring Rowoon with us.” Sanghyuk explained. “If it allowed, Amelia.”

 

The orphanage owner looked between them, confused but nodded. “Yeah, it is. I’ll just go and grab him. But, really? Now?”

 

“Something came up.”

 

“Dad!” Rowoon cried, rushing past Amelia and tackling Sanghyuk’s legs, almost knocking him clean off his feet.

 

Sanghyuk laughed as he crouched down. “Hey, kiddo. You been good for Amelia?”

 

Rowoon huffed. “Of course, I have.”

 

Amelia shook her head. “He’s been angsty since Christmas. It’s been a wonder that he hasn’t run to your place in the past couple of days.”

 

Taekwoon looked at Amelia. “Well, we’ll be taking him off your hands for the day.”

 

Amelia looked at Sanghyuk and raised an eyebrow. “Only for the day?”

 

“I still…” Sanghyuk bit his lip as he stood up and scooped Rowoon up in his arms. “No answer for now.”

 

She sighed but waved as Taekwoon, Sanghyuk and Rowoon walked off anyway. Sanghyuk would come up with an answer soon, he just needed to clarify it within himself first before jumping to decisions without properly thinking it over.

 

Which was more often the case in his life.

 

“Where are we going?” Rowoon asked, eyes wide in curiosity.

 

“To a café for breakfast.”

 

“Ooo!” Rowoon squealed. “I love cafes, but I rarely go.” He sounded so sad at the end and Sanghyuk pulled him even closer to him.

 

“Well, you can choose whatever you want to eat and drink.” Taekwoon ruffled his hair. “Sanghyuk will buy anything.”

 

“Anything?” Rowoon stared at the two adults, wondering if they were lying about it or were being serious.

 

Taekwoon grinned, ignoring Sanghyuk’s look. “Anything.”

 

“Yay!”

 

Sanghyuk hissed quietly. “Really?”

 

“You sound as though you weren’t going to do exactly that.”

 

Sanghyuk was about to argue when they approached the café to see Hakyeon standing by the door, looking around for them. Shoe tapping against the snow impatiently.

 

“Hakyeon!” Sanghyuk called catching his attention and could see Hakyeon looked conflicted and torn about how he should be feeling.

 

“Sanghyuk.” His tone was clipped and Sanghyuk avoided feeling hurt since he knew that Hakyeon felt hurt even more.

 

He deserved a proper explanation and that was why Sanghyuk was here in the first place.

 

“Taekwoon, why don’t you and Rowoon go and buy something for all of us to eat. Hakyeon and I will find a table and you can meet us there once you’re done.” Taekwoon nodded and before Sanghyuk let go of Rowoon he whispered into the kid’s ear. “Do you think you can delay your choice for a bit kid?”

 

“Why?” Rowoon asked, just as quietly.

 

“It’s just…I have to talk to Hakyeon privately for a bit, kay?”

 

Rowoon looked confused but shrugged. “Alright.” Clearly, he understood that Sanghyuk was requesting him of a somewhat important duty and took it in stride.

 

They entered the café, feeling the warmth from the place wash over them and draw them into its comfort. Angel magic would do that to you no matter how much you tried to avoid it like the plague.

 

“So…” Hakyeon started as they sat down in a booth to the back of the café. “Magic.”

 

“They didn’t tell me what happened, only that Jaehwan got slack around you.” Sanghyuk responded, no point in trying to avoid it. “But yes, magic is real and an actual thing that isn’t from fairy tales.”

 

“So, you do know about magic.” Hakyeon stated simply, not sounding surprised but more like his suspicions have been confirmed.

 

“Yeah, Jaehwan trained me.” Sanghyuk hummed as he glanced at Rowoon and Taekwoon. The former looked as though choosing what topping he wanted for his pancakes was a serious issue and needed to be thought through very thoroughly.

 

He didn’t have to go all out but apparently he thought he had to.

 

“Does Taekwoon know?” Hakyeon sounded worried and angry at the possibility of Taekwoon not having a clue and Sanghyuk lying to him about it all. He didn’t have to worry but at least Sanghyuk was glad that there was worry for his best friend.

 

“Yeah…” Sanghyuk nodded. “It…Was…Something.”

 

Hakyeon met his gaze. “He’s okay with it?”

 

“It took him some time to get used to it but he is.” Sanghyuk nodded as he noticed Taekwoon and Rowoon currently ordering the food and drinks. “Though…I guess you can call me a Witch.”

 

“You guess?”

 

“It’s complicated as to what I am properly considered.” Sanghyuk waved his hand.

 

“Oh.” Hakyeon fell silent, not sure how to continue the conversation which was saved by Taekwoon and Rowoon returning to the table with a table number.

 

“The food all sounds yummy!” Rowoon cried as he collapsed beside Sanghyuk, legs kicking back and forth under the table. “How do you choose?”

 

“You don’t.” Sanghyuk chuckled. “They know everything here.”

 

Taekwoon looked between them and spoke up quietly. “Are you alright?”

 

“You are okay with it?” Hakyeon asked, turning to his best friend which earned a confused look from Rowoon.

 

“Yes.” Taekwoon nodded. “You don’t have to be.”

 

Hakyeon opened his mouth but shut it, however Rowoon seemed to figure out what the discussion was about.

 

“Have you met Starlight properly? He has great stories.” Rowoon spoke as he looked at his cup of water. “He’s dad’s wolf.”

 

Hakyeon just froze. “Starlight…can…talk?”

 

Rowoon looked at Hakyeon. “You didn’t know?”

 

Sanghyuk launched across the table to grab Hakyeon’s sleeve. “Stay and hear us out, please.”

 

Hakyeon stared at him, his eyes grew hard. “Why should I listen to you? You’ve lied to me.”

 

“More like just not telling the truth.” Sanghyuk argued. “Look, let us talk about this like adults. Ask as many questions as you want and I will answer them all.”

 

Hakyeon seemed to study his eyes to see if Sanghyuk was telling the truth. His shoulders sagged ever so slightly.

 

“Fine. I want only the truth.”

 

“That is all you are going to get.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Taekwoon looked at Hakyeon who was leaning on the table, noting the hard and determined expression on his face.

 

“So, magic is real.”

 

“Yes.” Sanghyuk nodded. “Some people are born with a natural instinct to magic like myself, and Rowoon here. Others can be raised into magic like Hongbin and Jaehwan, and some, like Wonshik, have a flair for magic but no real training yet are able to make potions just as well as others.”

 

Hakyeon stared at the table but a voice rang clear as a waitress placed their plates of food in front of them. “Your food~”

 

“Thank you.” They chorused and turned to their food to eat, Rowoon happily finding it more interesting than whatever they were talking about.

 

“Are you here because it’s a small town?” Hakyeon’s question was unexpected and Taekwoon could see the surprise on Sanghyuk’s face.

 

“Uh…Not really.” Sanghyuk cleared his throat. “We very rarely live in towns just because we want to. We stay in places because we like them but that isn’t why we move there in the first place.”

 

That caught Hakyeon’s attention.

 

“Why are you here then?”

 

“To help protect the children.” Sanghyuk hummed. “You live here you should know what I am talking about.”

 

Hakyeon met his gaze. “Halloween.”

 

Sanghyuk nodded.

 

Rowoon and Taekwoon were silent as they looked between the two of them.

 

Taekwoon pursed his lips as he tried to figure out what exactly was going on through Hakyeon’s mind. He might’ve known him for years but even then, sometimes Taekwoon couldn’t tell what his best friend was thinking.

 

Hakyeon’s eyes never left Sanghyuk. Who didn’t seem too bothered about it all, quietly waiting for Hakyeon to return to his senses.

 

“I haven’t forgiven you lot.” Hakyeon’s voice was quiet and serious.

 

“I don’t expect you to.”

 

He pushed himself from the table, expression shifting between looking hurt and stubborn. “I’ll be on my way.”

 

Taekwoon followed Hakyeon to the door. He could at least try and reassure him.

 

“Hakyeon…”

 

He stopped and saw the anger that filled his eyes. “You didn’t tell me.”

 

“It wasn’t my place to say. I promised I’ll keep it a secret.”

 

“He hasn’t done anything to you, has he?” Hakyeon tilted his head towards Sanghyuk who was listening to Rowoon talk about something or other. “Otherwise-“

 

“No.” Taekwoon clutched Hakyeon’s arm. “Please, don’t hate them. Don’t say anything either, this was why others in that house kept having to move. Because people found out about their magic and wanted them out even though they just want to help.”

 

He knew he sounded desperate but he needed Hakyeon to understand the complexity of this entire thing.

 

Hakyeon grumbled. “I don’t like it, but whatever. Fine.”

 

Taekwoon murmured a quiet thank you as he watched Hakyeon walk outside the café. He sighed heavily and walked back to Sanghyuk and Rowoon.

 

“Woon?” Sanghyuk asked as he sat back down.

 

Taekwoon shrugged weakly. “I dunno. Hakyeon can hold grudges but I think he will tell anyone. He isn’t an .”

 

Rowoon gasped and Sanghyuk had the urge to tell Taekwoon that they have a child with them but held his tongue. That was something Taekwoon knew and apologised to Rowoon who claimed he had heard worse from some of the older orphans.

 

Taekwoon murmured to Sanghyuk. “There are laws against targeting children.”

 

“I know.” Sanghyuk sighed before they decided they should head home.

 

Rowoon grabbed Sanghyuk’s hand and looked up at him with childlike worry. “Will Hakyeon talk to us again?” His voice was so soft that Taekwoon had to strain to hear him which was so different to Rowoon’s normal loudness.

 

“I hope he does, kiddo.” Sanghyuk sighed and looked at Taekwoon hoping for some reassurance that Hakyeon was actually going to remain their friend.

 

Taekwoon couldn’t offer such reassurance.

 

They dropped Rowoon back at the orphanage but promised to celebrate New Years with him. Rowoon had complained about not wanting to hang around the older orphans and they caved and took him back home with them.

 

Taekwoon chuckled as he watches Sanghyuk’s eyes fill with adoration and love towards Rowoon. “You are weak when it comes to him.”

 

“Apparently, I’m also weak when it comes to you.” Sanghyuk lightly teased, winking at him. “If Starlight is to be believed.”

 

“Of course Starlight is to be believed.” Taekwoon laughed, nudging Sanghyuk with his hip and feeling him wrap an arm around his waist. Pulling him ever closer.

 

Sanghyuk made an offhand comment about it being cold. That was a lie. It wasn’t that cold anymore as the day progresses and the threat of another snowstorm was lessening until the evening.

 

But, whatever.

 

It gave Taekwoon an excuse to stick to Sanghyuk. Not that he needed one but it was always handy having one on hand.

 

The house was strangely quiet, considering Jaehwan currently was in residence.

 

Starlight met them at the door and sniffed, tail swishing from side to side. “I think Jaehwan’s broken.”

 

Sanghyuk made a strained noise in the back of his throat. “Where is he?”

 

“In the room he’s been cooped in since the early hours of this morning.”

 

Sanghyuk cussed quietly under his breath so that Rowoon wouldn’t hear him. He asked Taekwoon to spend some time with Rowoon and probably see if they need any specific types of food or even go back to his place if he needed to get something. Sanghyuk was going to talk with Jaehwan, Wonshik and Hongbin who definitely would be beating themselves up about what happened.

 

They really liked Hakyeon too.

 

Taekwoon said he should go home and see if there is anything he needs to do.

 

Rowoon could be trusted with Starlight as long as he got distracted by video games that is.

 

Taekwoon looked at his phone. Contemplating whether or not he should call Hakyeon to try and clear up the air around them. It can’t be good to keep all of this bottled up. There had to be questions that Hakyeon hadn’t asked because of Rowoon.

 

“I’m not surprised you are calling me.”

 

“Hakyeon.” A loud sigh escaped the older male.

 

“I don’t know how to feel.”

 

“I know.”

 

“How are you so calm?”

 

“Because I didn’t run away when I found out.” It was a low blow but necessary if he wanted to keep his friend talking and communicating. “I may have passed out but Sanghyuk was calm and explained everything to me.”

 

“He’s a mage.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Sanghyuk. Everything about his place screamed Mage but I though it was just for decorations and show. So, I never commented on it.”

 

“I thought you’d know.”

 

Hakyeon laughed dryly and fell silent.

 

“I don’t know how to feel.”

 

“I think Jaehwan’s broken.” Taekwoon murmured. “Sanghyuk didn’t say but I figured he must be extremely beat up about what happened. I don’t know exactly.”

 

Hakyeon cleared his throat. “I…I saw him levitating some things and freaked out. They weren’t expecting me to be watching, I guess.”

 

Taekwoon tilted his head back and nodded even though Hakyeon couldn’t see it. Knowing him, he would know anyway.

 

“So, how are things with you and Sanghyuk?” The change was needed and appreciated though Taekwoon wanted to keep his lips firmly seeled shut.

 

“Good.”

 

“He looked like he wanted to kiss you in the café.” Hakyeon teased.

 

Taekwoon’s neck flushed, how had he not seen it? Well, granted Taekwoon wasn’t the best at deciphering emotions he wasn’t used to. Someone wanting to kiss him was high up on that list.

 

“Yeah…He did. I mean.” Taekwoon coughed as he heard Hakyeon let out an interested noise. “I kissed him last night because he was freaking out about potentially adopting Rowoon and I wanted him to shut up. Then he kissed me back and uh…”

 

That was the most he had spoken for majority of the morning, though he was certain he spoke more last night while high on the addiction of Sanghyuk’s lips. . Just thinking about it made him blush like a teenager.

 

Hakyeon paused before chuckling. “So, when is the wedding?”

 

“ you.”

 

“Nah, I know you just wanna do that with Sanghyuk.”

 

Taekwoon groaned. “Come on, Hakyeon.” He smiled weakly. “Will you come to Sanghyuk’s for New Years?”

 

“I-“

 

“Look, I know you don’t want to but believe me. They do care about you.”

 

Hakyeon fell silent again and Taekwoon knew he was thinking it over.

 

“Can…I don’t know yet.”

 

“Will you at least try?”

 

“Maybe.” Hakyeon sighed, caving by Taekwoon’s words.

 

“Thank you.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sanghyuk rested on his bed, looking to the side to see Taekwoon still curled underneath his blankets.

 

It was still very early; the sun was nowhere near rising and the only thing in the room was peace and silence. Sanghyuk felt a smile cross his face as he leaned his fingers out to brush across Taekwoon’s cheek.

 

He shifted and whimpered, burying his head into the pillow.

 

Adorable.

 

Way too adorable.

 

Sanghyuk leaned forward and brushed his lips across Taekwoon’s forehead slightly causing him to stir.

 

Sanghyuk bit back a groan. He didn’t want to wake Taekwoon up. He should still be sleeping.

 

“Sanghyuk?” Taekwoon whispered, eyes still closed but shifting closer to Sanghyuk’s body. “What?”

 

Said male flopped onto the bed, making Taekwoon open his eyes and shot him a glare. Sanghyuk merely laughed at him and stretched his limbs out along the bed.

 

“You are terrible. You woke me up.” Taekwoon whined lowly, turning away from Sanghyuk.

 

Sanghyuk groaned and rolled over to wrap an arm around Taekwoon’s waist, pulling him close to his body once more.

 

“Go back to sleep, then.” Sanghyuk pointed out, as he buried his face into Taekwoon’s hair.

 

Taekwoon squeaked when Sanghyuk’s fingers dug into his stomach ever so slightly. “You are keeping me awake, jerk.”

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

Taekwoon rolled over and stiffened when he realised just how close Sanghyuk was to him. He blinked owlishly at him and Sanghyuk chuckled lowly under his breath.

 

Taekwoon leaned forward and pressed his lips against Sanghyuk’s.

 

Sanghyuk hummed and messed with Taekwoon’s hair ever so slightly.

 

“Is Hakyeon coming over?”

 

“Dunno, maybe.” Taekwoon pulled away and scowled. “Why are you talking about my best friend now?”

 

“Worry.” Sanghyuk shrugged as best he could laying on his side. “Why else would I ask?” His eyes were soft and could see Taekwoon melt into the mattress and his body. “I have a feeling we are going to have a kid burst through that door soon.”

 

“Like on Christmas?”

 

“Yeah. I just don’t know if it is gonna be Rowoon or Jaehwan. We’ll see when it happens.”

 

Taekwoon laughed at Sanghyuk’s comment and pushed him onto his back, rolling over to straddle the taller male. Sanghyuk raised his eyebrows in interest.

 

“I am not complaining about this position, but with four other people in the house who could possibly be awake?”

 

They weren’t. The plants would’ve told Sanghyuk if they had woken up but he didn’t ask them to keep an eye on them at all. Starlight was with Rowoon and they would definitely hear him before Rowoon broke the door down in excitement.

 

Jaehwan could possibly teleport into the room, leaving Wonshik and Hongbin to kick the door down to grab Jaehwan and drag him away.

 

“Pfft. They won’t be awake for a little while.” Taekwoon scoffed as he leaned down to pepper kisses across Sanghyuk’s face. He pulled a face and tried to turn his head away but Taekwoon full on kissed him in response once again.

 

Hey, if he started his mornings like this all the time he won’t be complaining.

 

Sanghyuk ran his hands up Taekwoon’s back, sliding them under his shirt. “Question.”

 

“Do you have to keep talking?”

 

“Can we make our anniversary the 29th of December?”

 

Taekwoon leaned back and raised an eyebrow as though he couldn’t believe Sanghyuk’s words. His expression clearly said, “really?”

 

“That was two days ago, genius.” He pointed out.

 

“I know, but it is in the middle of Christmas and New Year’s.” Sanghyuk felt iffy about it. What if he was overthinking it all? They never made it obvious or known to anyone after all. He could be making up a date because it felt right.

 

Taekwoon rolled his eyes. “I mean…I guess. I’d like to have dinner first before it all, though.”

 

Sanghyuk chuckled. “I’ll make it up to you.” He pushed upwards so he and Taekwoon were face to face. “Though, just not right now. We have children here and can’t have them walking in on something they shouldn’t.”

 

“We can’t scar Jaehwan now can we?” Taekwoon’s grin was wide and -eating making Sanghyuk shake his head at him in response.

 

“Yeah. He’d never shut up about it.”

 

They weren’t doing anything special for New Years, the magic community rarely did. Most often celebrated having gone an entire year without getting killed though. However, many communities went by different calendars but kept the main celebrations the same.

 

Sanghyuk had listened to Rowoon complain that Taekwoon lived in a different house. Knowing why that is but making it seem like they were just making it difficult for themselves.

 

“But,” Rowoon whined. “Father lives here anyway!”

 

“Rowoon…” Sanghyuk sighed as he watched his best friends and boyfriend laugh at Rowoon’s determination to make Sanghyuk crack.

 

“No, dad! He does!” Rowoon huffed and folded his arms.

 

He was ridiculously cute and couldn’t be intimidating even if you told him how to act as such. Then again, he was just a kid.

 

Taekwoon and Sanghyuk caved and they would see about moving Taekwoon in.

 

“You seem okay with it.” Taekwoon hummed as he felt Sanghyuk wrap his arms around him and pull him close. “Thought you’d want to take it slow.”

 

“I did think that, but…” Sanghyuk paused not sure if he should continue on or not. “This house was getting lonely, only having myself technically live here.”

 

“You are going to have me, though.” Taekwoon looked back at him.

 

“And Rowoon.” His voice was quiet and could see the surprise on Taekwoon’s face.

 

“You…” He glanced quickly to make sure the kid wasn’t overhearing this. “You are adopting him?”

 

Sanghyuk nodded. “Yeah. Paperwork is a but Amelia is an angel when it comes to all of that technical work. The town is so small though so it should go through by mid-January depending on how everything goes. Rowoon needs to give his own confirmation.”

 

“I’m sure he will.” Taekwoon whispered. “He loves you after all.”

 

“Mm.”

 

“Dad? Father?” They turned to see Rowoon looking up at them. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Something.” Taekwoon hummed.

 

Rowoon blinked and looked at Starlight who seemed to be glued to his side. “Starlight?”

 

“You son wants to know why you are denying adopting him.” Starlight huffed and nudged Sanghyuk’s leg. “Tell the truth.”

 

Sanghyuk paused and stared at Rowoon who was watching him. He looked between all of them and launched at Rowoon before scooping him up.

 

“We will discuss this next year.”

 

“So tomorrow?”

 

“Yeah.” Sanghyuk laughed as he hoisted Rowoon up and looked at Taekwoon. “Save me.”

 

“Nope.” Taekwoon laughed as Starlight merely smirked.

 

Before Sanghyuk could say anything else they heard a knock at the door. Rowoon tugged on Sanghyuk’s shirt.

 

“Dad, who is it?”

 

“Dunno, kiddo.” Sanghyuk approached the door. “Can I put you down?”

 

“No.” Rowoon whined and wrapped his arms around Sanghyuk’s neck and tightened it. “Don’t put me down.”

 

“Fine.” Sanghyuk opened the door and realised who was on the other side of the door. “Hakyeon.”

 

Hakyeon smiled weakly. “Hey, Sanghyuk.”

 

Rowoon paused before yelling loudly. “Father! Uncle Hakyeon is here!”

 

Sanghyuk winced at the noise right by his ear. “Rowoon, that was my ear.”

 

“Sorry.” Rowoon whimpered and shrunk in on himself, tucking his head into Sanghyuk’s neck. “I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s alright, kiddo. Just watch it next time, alright?” Sanghyuk hoped Rowoon heeded his advice and actually did watch where he was the next time he decided to yell. Unless of course he was getting kidnapped.

 

Which he hoped wouldn’t happen.

 

“Is…Are the others here?” Hakyeon asked, not hearing the usual noise that Jaehwan emitted wherever he went.

 

“Yeah, they just fell silent when Rowoon announced your arrival.” Sanghyuk stepped aside and let Hakyeon enter the house. “They are in the living room if you want to talk to them.”

 

Hakyeon looked at Sanghyuk before nodding, determined not to it up.

 

Rowoon squeaked and Sanghyuk jumped as he felt Taekwoon come up behind him.

 

“Hey. What’s going on here?” Taekwoon whispered.

 

“Hakyeon is going to talk to them.” Sanghyuk replied.

 

“I hope it goes well.”

 

“So do I.”

 

Rowoon pulled a face. “Yuck.”

 

Taekwoon chuckled. “One day you may find someone.”

 

Rowoon seemed even more disgusted by that but merely complained that no-one could be more disgusting than them. He struggled when Taekwoon kissed his temples and whined when Sanghyuk kept him in place. Eventually he caved and sunk against Sanghyuk once more.

 

Sanghyuk smiled at Taekwoon who raised an eyebrow at him in amusement. He merely leaned in and kissed his lips, enjoying the peace.

 

Even if Rowoon was making it difficult.

 

Yeah, Sanghyuk was happy.

 

This was his family.