Her Peaceful Place

Don't Fear The Reaper

 
 

Lee Kaeun. 26. Reaper. Would Take A Bullet For Sakura's Cat But Won't Admit It.

 

 
 

Miyawaki Sakura. 21. Used To Hate Being Dependant, Now She Can't Fall Asleep Alone.

 

 

 

"I can't promise that things won't be broken, but I can swear that I will never leave."
______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Sakura couldn’t remember falling asleep. 

 

There was just so much...activity, last night that she must have passed out halfway through and nobody could really blame her. Kaeun worked her to death, and as well as her entire body felt so sore she could just starfish here on her bed forever. 

 

Only her bed was barely big enough to squeeze in both Kaeun and her, and the former was currently still fast asleep next to her. Kaeun was lying down on Sakura’s right arm, curling into the shorter girl’s side in a manner that made the imposing and fearsome Reaper look almost vulnerable. Kaeun had an arm wrapped around Sakura’s waist as she used the latter as a bolster, and Sakura didn’t mind it one bit.

 

Lee Kaeun was beautiful. 

 

Sakura brings her right arm up, movement limited somewhat due to having the weight of another human resting on it and lightly caressed Kaeun’s exposed shoulder. Her skin was so soft. So delicate and fair, and Sakura could not believe that she was allowed to appreciate this heavenly body in it’s full glory the entire night. She worshipped Lee Kaeun like the Goddess that she was, and she prayed with all her heart that she would be allowed to do so again.

 

The light brushes to her shoulder finally causes Kaeun to stir, groaning grumpily in the cutest manner as she tried to lightly swat away Sakura’s hand in vain. She is surprised that it took Kaeun this long to wake up. She would have thought that a highly trained fighter like the Reaper would jolt awake almost immediately with the lightest touch. This must show just how much Kaeun trusts her. 

 

Just how exposed Kaeun allows herself to be around her. It was the greatest privilege.

 

“Good morning.”

 

“Mm. ‘orning.” Kaeun mumbled lazily, burying her face deeper into the crook of Sakura’s neck to shield her eyes from the streaks of light filtering in through the blinds.

 

It tickles. Kaeun’s breath against her skin. The older woman was practically nuzzling her nose into Sakura’s collarbone and it was just...just perfect. It was like a dream. Like she hasn’t woken up yet. 

 

“I was kinda expecting you to not be here when I wake up.”

 

“Oh? Is it that kind of arrangement?” Kaeun chuckles against Sakura’s skin. The sound was low and almost gruff, a brilliant contrast to the melodic high pitched whines that Sakura was able to coax out of the Reaper’s throat throughout the night.

 

“No! No, I’m not kicking you out. I’m just...pleasantly surprised.” Sakura is quick to defend herself, to prevent any misunderstandings. This thing she has with Kaeun, whatever it may be, was too beautiful to be ruined by petty things that could be solved with communication.

 

Sakura still hasn’t had her fill yet. She would like to keep this fantasy alive for as long as she possibly could.

 

“Surprised that I’m still here?”

 

“Mmhmm.” Sakura nods once, and she could feel Kaeun’s smile pressing against her skin in response.

 

“I like it here.” Kaeun states simply, and it amuses Sakura enough to allow a small chuckle to leave .

 

“This cramped little apartment?”

 

“It’s not that small.”

 

“Unnie, if you tiptoed your head would touch the ceiling.”

 

“Then I just won’t tiptoe.”

 

“You like this place that much?”

 

“I like you. This place has you in it, so I like it as well.” Kaeun confessed easily, and her lips seemed to chase the blush creeping up Sakura’s face because they’re suddenly kissing the latter’s cheek. Soft lips peppering light kisses against Sakura’s flushed skin and the Japanese girl was caught between sighing in dreamy contentment and giggling from how tickling the kisses were.

 

“I like you here too. I get to hug you anytime I want.” Sakura says as she does just that; turning to her side and enveloping the older woman’s (still ) body with her own and just basking in the warmth that now occupied her arms. 

 

Kaeun pressed a single kiss to Sakura’s forehead, and it was one that lingered longer than all of the other kisses so far. There was something weirdly intimate about forehead kisses. It was a simple act, and yes those lips have explored much more intimate locations on Sakura’s person but the act itself was...nice.

 

It was nice.

 

It made Sakura feel protected and warm.

 

Loved.

 

“You’re trouble, Miyawaki Sakura.” 

 

Sakura smiled at the statement, that was obviously meant to sound serious but Kaeun herself couldn’t keep a straight face long enough to sell it. “How so?” 

 

“I almost don’t want to go back. You’re horrible for my job.”

 

“Then stay.” Sakura suggests. Her finger traces nonsensical patterns into Kaeun’s bare shoulder, and the latter shivers slightly at the contact. 

 

The Reaper actually looked torn for a moment, as if Sakura’s suggestion was legitimately a viable option. It was flattering enough to somewhat dull the ache she felt when Kaeun eventually shook her head, turning down the offer.

 

“I can’t.” 

 

Sakura hummed. She didn’t expect any other answer, but she did hold a little bit of hope. She couldn’t help it. She was human, and she was infatuated. Both symptoms that didn’t lend a hand to logical thinking. 

 

“Have you ever thought about it? Leaving the Red Roses?”

 

Kaeun pauses to think, an act made difficult by Sakura casually rubbing her bare leg against the former’s. “Not often. Only on certain occasions. Like now, for instance.” Kaeun looks right into Sakura’s eyes, half lidded grey eyes meeting brown ones in a gentle greeting. “Right now leaving doesn’t sound so bad.”

 

“You can stay with me.”

 

It was another harmless suggestion, laced with hope but Kaeun chuckled at it anyways without a trace of humour.

 

“I can’t just walk out the door, Kkura. The Reaper can’t simply just leave. Not without a lot of bloodshed.”

 

Sakura contemplates that. She thinks back to the time she spent with the Red Roses, and how not just the Gwangju branch but the entire organisation seemed to revolve around the Reaper. The Head Enforcer. The front line of defense and offense. Kaeun was revered. Her name was spoken with awe and adulation. Maybe Sakura understands just how important Kaeun was to the Red Roses. She understands, but at the same time she wishes she didn’t.

 

It would make saying goodbye so much easier if she did not know what dangers Kaeun was going back to the moment the woman walks out her door.

 

“Do you have to go back now?” Sakura timidly asks, and the look on Kaeun’s face suggests that indeed she does. In fact, the Reaper probably had to report to duty several hours ago but she didn’t want Kaeun to leave.

 

“...I might have a few minutes.”

 

And from the sounds of it, Kaeun doesn’t want to leave either.

 

“Let me make you breakfast. You’re looking rather thin.”

 

“Me?!” Kaeun laughs brightly at Sakura’s ridiculous excuse to keep her here longer but the latter is on her feet and halfway across the room heading towards the dining area before the Reaper could even do anything about it.

 

Sakura didn’t even bother wearing any clothes as she worked on her toast and omelette breakfast, the only things she could make with what little groceries she remembered to buy the last time she went out. Kaeun watched the Japanese girl cook from the comforts of Sakura’s bed, propped up on an elbow and glorious figure wrapped up in a thick duvet.

 

This was probably a fantasy, cooking for a Goddess while said Goddess lounged on her bed. It wasn’t Sakura’s fantasy however. She wouldn’t dream of including her limited culinary skills in a fantasy of any kind. No, it was actually embarrassing for Sakura to do this but if it meant keeping Kaeun here for even a second more, she’ll gladly do it.

 

Even if she ends up accidentally giving Kaeun food poisoning.

 

Actually that might be a plus. Maybe a sick Kaeun would stay here longer. Now wouldn’t that be a horribly sadistic thought? A thought that maybe was worth entertainin—

 

Sakura’s entire body shivered when she felt warm lips press gently against her neck. Strong arms wrapped around Sakura from behind nearly making the girl fall from the added weight but if Kaeun noticed it she didn’t bother budging an inch.

 

“...Unnie, I can’t cook like this.”

 

“I don’t need to eat.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Sakura chastised, causing Kaeun to whine adorably in protest. 

 

She would never have expected in a million years to hear that kind of sound coming out of the fearsome Red Roses Reaper. Was that aegyo? It was. Lee Kaeun just did aegyo on her. It took every ounce of self-restraint Sakura had in her small body to not turn around and pepper the taller woman in all the kisses and hugs she could muster.

 

But no. She can’t be distracted. She can’t risk burning her food. This was the last of her groceries, and groceries are bloody expensive. With a concentration level that rivalled Nako’s when the smaller Enforcer was fixing one of her Gundam figurines, Sakura finished her cooking while essentially wearing Lee Kaeun as a backpack.

 

“It’s good.” Kaeun tells her, after the food has been served and they’re both seated around the small dining table.

 

“Really?”

 

“Mhmm. The best I’ve ever had.” Kaeun manages to mumble through a mouthful of egg and bread. She certainly seemed to be telling the truth based on how fast she’s gobbling up her meal.

 

Sakura shakes her head, disbelieving but grateful. “Flatterer. Don’t let Chaewon hear you say that.”

 

“She’ll forgive me.” Kaeun shrugged, and Sakura does not doubt it.

 

They spend the next few minutes eating in relative silence, the only sounds that filled the small studio apartment were the clinging of metal cutlery and Maru-chan’s content purring as the cat curled up on Kaeun’s bare thighs. It was oddly domestic, a situation that Sakura never saw herself getting used to but she could. With present company, she really could get used to living like this. Huddled around a table eating home cooked breakfast, ignoring the fact that they were both still very much in the .

 

It was also weird how immediately comfortable she was baring this much skin in front of another. That was something new as well.

 

“So what will you be doing after this?” Sakura breaks the silence, aware that their time is borrowed and brief.

 

“Preparing for another war, probably. The tension between the families are getting higher.”

 

“I have Business Statistics to attend later in the evening, so we’re doing essentially the same thing.”

 

Kaeun laughs, and that was enough of a response for Sakura. She knows she’ll never understand what the Reaper has to go through. She doesn’t live that life. She never has to live in fear of one day seeing her friends die. She never has to feel the pressure of taking another’s life at the command of someone else. So bringing laughter to Kaeun is all she could afford to do, and if she could make the Reaper forget her job even for a brief moment, it would be more than enough.

 

“I have to go, cat.” Kaeun says gently to Maru-chan, who stretches and hops off her legs almost immediately.

 

Sakura takes the dirty dishes and proceeds to watch Kaeun dress in silence. The journey of finding her clothes was made difficult by the haphazard manner in which they were discarded (why were most of their clothes lying in a heap by the door? They had barely stepped into the apartment and their hands were already on each other) but eventually she finds them all. The final piece would be the polished silver pistol that Kaeun safely placed onto the nightstand the previous night.

 

“You be good, okay Sakura?” Kaeun says finally, tucking the gun away in a concealed holster before throwing her pink jacket back over it.

 

The perfect disguise. One would never suspect that Kaeun was the Enforcer for one of South Korea’s leading crime families.

 

Well, except for the blood stains still soaked into the white shirt she wore. 

 

Technicalities.

 

“Can I....Call you?” Sakura asks as she sees Kaeun begin walking away towards the door. Any reason to keep Kaeun here longer. Any reason to prolong this moment.

 

Kaeun chuckles, and nods. “I already saved my number in your phone.”

 

“You did?!”

 

“Yeah.”

 

There was a tinge of pink on the Reaper’s face, as if she was embarrassed that she had taken the initiative. Something about Kaeun’s shy body language coaxes Sakura to approach the woman, the small living quarters allows the shorter Japanese girl to make it across to Kaeun in as little as 5 small steps.

 

It was obvious that Kaeun wasn’t prepared for Sakura to enter her space so quickly and decisively. Kaeun was mentally ready to leave this safe place and return to reality but Sakura suddenly approaching her thwarted those plans, and as a result the Reaper stood stunned by the door. Unmoving.

 

As if still deliberating what to do, Kaeun slowly reaches out for Sakura but in a split moment of decisive decision-making the latter pulls Kaeun in closer and stands on the tips of her toes so that her lips could meet perfectly with the taller woman’s.

 

Sakura would never get used to the feeling of her lips pressing against Kaeun’s. It was a delicious contrast between time slowing down and a rush of adrenaline. She feels immortal in these brief moments, as if the very concept of infinity was flowing through her veins. She did not want to let go. Judging by the strong arms wrapped tightly around her waist, neither did Kaeun.

 

Eventually the need for air breaks them apart, and Kaeun takes it as her cue to leave. Sakura watches with a heavy heart as the Reaper turns to walk out the door, but the latter pauses right as she turns the doorknob to look back at the younger girl.

 

“I’ll see you soon.”

 

Kaeun says it with so much certainty, that it eases Sakura’s concerns somewhat. Concern that this will be her last time seeing the woman. The very thought that Kaeun herself did not want what they had going on between them to end brought a smile onto Sakura’s face.

 

“Yeah. Please stay safe.”

 

Kaeun nods before walking out the door and shutting it closed behind her, leaving Sakura to stare blankly at the wooden surface. She stands there for a moment, frozen in place before running towards her bedside table to look for her phone.

 

Lee Kaeun’s number. She’s always wanted it; a means to communicate with the Reaper whenever she wanted but she never dared ask for it before. Knowing the Reaper’s status it must be highly confidential, what with even the phonecall she received just the other day from Kaeun in regards to her coming over was done on a burner phone.

 

Sakura scrolled through her contact list, trying to find it but it just wasn’t there. No “Kaeun” or “Lee Kaeun” or “Reaper” or even “Red Roses Kaeun”. Had Kaeun lied? Did she even save her number?

 

Finally, after almost giving up, Sakura finds it. An unfamiliar name saved in her contacts list and what was written brought about a mess of high pitched giggles and squeals from the Japanese girl.

 

My Deadly Girlfriend 💕

 

Girlfriend.

 

With an emoji.

 

What. The. Hell.

 

Lee Kaeun was too cute.

 

 

 

*****************************************************

 

 

It was easy.

 

Despite what one might think, despite every assumption Sakura herself had going into this, it was surprisingly easy. Being the Reaper’s girlfriend, that is.

 

No, that statement was inaccurate.

 

It was easy being Lee Kaeun’s girlfriend, not the Reaper’s. The woman makes it a point to separate the two personas when they are together. They don’t talk about Kaeun’s job, or close to the like when they are together.

 

They talk about everything else. Sweet somethings and meaningful nothings. Sakura finds out what Kaeun’s favourite colour is (unsurprisingly, it’s red), her favourite American band (Journey), her favourite Korean group (Fly To The Sky), as well as many other pointless trivia facts such as what hair colour Kaeun wishes she could dye her hair but thinks it wouldn’t look good so she hasn’t done so.

 

It is easy, because Kaeun makes it easy. Sakura knows just how much effort the woman puts into spending time with her. Sakura is never wanting for anything and a single text is all it takes to have her girlfriend standing on her porch, looking annoyed that Sakura was so clingy but will struggle to leave in the morning because she “doesn’t want to go back to reality”.

 

Kaeun is soft when she is with Sakura.

 

All traces of the rough-around-the-edges Reaper would disappear the moment she enters into her girlfriend’s embrace. Kaeun becomes vulnerable, she allows her armor to fall. She has no objections with Sakura taking the lead during moments of intimacy, surrendering control to the cherry blossom. If Sakura were to assume correctly, she would think that Kaeun actually enjoys being the bottom. The older woman always seemed particularly joyful when she is being taken care of, something that doesn’t happen AT ALL in her workplace Sakura is sure.

 

The days pass by, and before they know it half a year comes and goes. Half a year spent with Kaeun as her girlfriend. Half a year of unbridled happiness.

 

 

 

***************************************************

 

 

Kaeun objects when Sakura finally gets employed after months of hunting. The older woman finds it redundant, saying that she has more than enough money to care for the younger cherry blossom but Sakura refuses to accept hand outs. She wants to earn her living, because she isn’t comfortable with doing much else. It wasn’t anything particularly outstanding or glamorous; Sakura somehow managed to land a job selling fish. 

 

Not the dead ones. Not fish for eating. Sakura works in a pet store, specialising in live ornamental aquatic pets. 

 

Sakura doesn’t know ANYTHING about taking care of fishes.

 

It was the only place that would hire her though, so she took it with the mindset of learning on the job. Three days into the job and she manages to kill an entire tank of starfishes, earning her a thorough scolding from her boss. She cries into Kaeun’s arms that night, disappointed in herself which in turn causes her girlfriend (who has a tendency for violence) to calmly ask for her employer’s address while loading her gun.

 

Sakura makes it a point to get better at her job from then on, to avoid any more mistakes on her part and to prevent any “mistakes” from mysteriously happening on Kaeun’s part.

 

Her girlfriend often visits her at work though. Initially Sakura was worried that a repeat of the abduction case would occur; where rival gangs would take notice of Kaeun’s attachment to Sakura and take advantage of it. She starts to catch random people staring at her from outside her shop, but it never amounts to anything much. She does inform Kaeun of these instances though, but the Reaper simply shrugs and says that she’s safe.

 

They wouldn’t do anything, because they all feared the Reaper.

 

Sakura’s hyperactive imagination comes up with plenty of “what-if” scenarios. Such as what if they kidnapped Sakura to distract Kaeun, and move in to attack the headquarters while the Reaper was away? Two birds with one stone, and their headquarters would be left unprotected all because of Kkura herself.

 

Kaeun laughed at that as she reminded Sakura that the Gwangju branch wasn’t their main base of operations. That was in Seoul, and Kaeun hasn’t been guarding it in the first place. She was only tasked to defend the Gwangju branch because Eunbi was here, the heir to the organisation. In terms of how the system works, the Red Roses would still be able to function normally even if the Gwangju branch were to fall.

 

To put it simply, there would be no point for anyone to pick a fight with the Gwangju branch and risk angering Kaeun again, because she’s already shown the world once what would happen if they so much as touched her girlfriend.

 

Essentially Miyawaki Sakura was probably the second most protected girl in the country, asides from Kwon Eunbi herself.

 

Kaeun has done a lot for Sakura. More than she feels she deserves, but for some weird reason she couldn’t seem to get Kaeun to buy a fish for herself. Out of all the things she could get Kaeun to do for her, rearing a fish wasn’t part of the list. The Reaper would throw in all sorts of excuses, one being grander than the next but really.

 

It was just a fish.

 

You barely needed to take care of it at all!

 

“Come on~! Can’t you show me some support?” Sakura whines one day, huffing and puffing after a retreating Kaeun as the older woman did short laps around the small shop to avoid her sulking girlfriend.

 

“I’m gone on missions several days at a time. How am I supposed to take care of a pet?”

 

“You’re just full of excuses. I bet Yunjinnie would love to own a fish.”

 

Kaeun grumbles, hopping onto the counter to create some measure of distance between her and her insistent girlfriend. “She’ll probably love it a little bit too much.”

 

“Well, you can bring her over one of these days and she can choose one herself.”

 

“No.”

 

“Why not~?” Sakura whines again, placing her hands onto Kaeun’s knees and looking up at the older woman with her best attempt at puppy-dog eyes. She sees Kaeun falter a little before the Reaper collects herself and composes her posture.

 

“No work stuff, remember? When we’re together it’s ‘us’ time. No Red Roses allowed.”

 

“So stingy.” Sakura pouts, which quickly transforms into a series of soft giggles as Kaeun gently ruffles the younger girl’s hair.

 

Sakura slowly eases herself away from the counter and her girlfriend to resume working. It wasn’t the most exciting occupation ever made. There were barely any customers and Sakura’s daily routine usually consists of making sure each tank had enough food and praying that no fishes died that day. At least her shop was located in the mall so whenever boredom would strike, people-watching was an easily accessible activity to pass the time. Her manager wasn’t even present most of the time, leaving her to man the shop on her own.

 

Sometimes Yuri and Yena would drop by to hang out with her. Those moments were always fun. Kaeun is always understandably busy, but the older woman does make an effort to visit her girlfriend whenever she could afford to leave the headquarters. Sometimes Sakura would put up the “Lunchbreak” sign and the two of them would spend an hour or so just cuddling in the back room. Sometimes they would do more than cuddle.

 

Oh the things these fishes have seen....

 

When they aren’t doing anythjng scandalous or inappropriate however, Kaeun’s favourite activity would be propping herself onto the cashier counter (as if they didn’t have enough chairs in the shop. Really. There’s a barstool RIGHT THERE) and just observing Sakura work.

 

Kaeun likes to do that. Sakura-watching. It’s up there with shrugging as the Reaper’s favourite pastimes.

 

“You don’t have to work here, you know that right? I can take care of you.” Kaeun reminds after several minutes of watching Sakura struggle to clean a particularly deep tank.

 

Sakura shakes her head, feeling like they’ve already had this conversation several hundred times in the past. “I like working. It gives me something to do, and I hate taking your money. It’s hard earned.”

 

“I earn it for you to spend it. What else would I do with all that cash?”

 

“I don’t know! Donate it, maybe?!” 

 

“I’m donating it TO YOU!”

 

“What is this, a lover’s quarrel?”

 

Both Kaeun and Sakura turn to see Yuri standing by the entrance, arms crossed and an amused expression on her youthful face. Sakura was caught halfway between yelling and flinging the damp and dirty cloth she had been using to clean the aquarium tanks at her stubborn girlfriend, while Kaeun was sitting awkwardly on the countertop as she tried to avoid said cloth being thrown at her.

 

It was an awkward moment to say the least.

 

Kaeun was the first to recover, clearing while trying in vain to hide the blush creeping up her cheeks. “A mild disagreement.”

 

“Kaeun-unnie!!” 

 

A blur runs past Yuri and flies across the shop to tackle the woman perched on the countertop, nearly knocking Kaeun off and sending the Reaper into a tank full of mealworms. Sakura could tell that it took every bit of restraint Kaeun had not to punch the blur in the face just out of instinct, but the Enforcer has had plenty of practice to exercise her self control.

 

Yena was just a little too fond of Kaeun, and she can be quite...exuberant in expressing said fondness.

 

“Hey twerp. Done with classes for the day?” Kaeun asks with an amused smile as she softly patted the younger girl’s head. She was getting better at that. Petting heads. She secretly wonders if this could be considered a form of character growth. She also secretly wonders how long Yena was going to stay wrapped around her midsection like a sloth holding onto a tree. 

 

“Yeah! Thought we’d swing by and make fun of Sakura’s job again.” Yena informed happily, while Sakura scoffed from across the shop.

 

“It’s a perfectly decent occupation!”

 

“The SPAO job would’ve been better!”

 

“You just want free clothes!”

 

“Well, who doesn’t want free clothes?!” Yena eventually lets go of Kaeun’s waist and begins marching towards Sakura, prepared to name every single reason why the Japanese girl turning down the sales clerk job at SPAO was a bad idea. It was a good thing too. Kaeun was starting to forget how breathing felt like.

 

Sakura was initially hesitant to introduce her girlfriend to her friends, the former’s occupation playing a huge factor in the decision. Eventually, after confirming with Kaeun that it was okay and an endless amount of pestering from Yena, Sakura conceded and several months after here they are.

 

It was an odd dynamic they had. Yena took to Kaeun almost immediately, worshipping the woman like a rolemodel of what she wanted to look and behave like in the future. Yuri took her time warming up to the older woman, understandably cautious but she eventually learned to accept Kaeun as Sakura’s girlfriend when she saw just how well the latter was being taken care of. 

 

They seemed to get along well enough, Yuri and Kaeun that is. Sakura was only half paying attention to Yena’s one-sided argument and was looking past the duck’s shoulder to try and guess what Yuri and her girlfriend were animatedly talking about. If only she was better at reading lips. If only Yena would just shut up long enough for Sakura to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

 

Yuri eventually turns in their direction and smiles as she catches the Japanese girl observing them. The law student gives a single nod and approaches Yena to drag the chatterbox away.

 

“C’mon Yena. We’ll be late for our movie.”

 

“What? But I wanna hang out more with Kaeun-unnie!” Yena whines, trying her best to talk her way into staying longer but Yuri wasn’t having any of it.

 

“We paid a lot of money for these tickets and I don’t want to miss even a second of it. Come on.” Yuri insists, dragging Yena out of the pet store as the poor girl lost her will to fight back against her more determined girlfriend. She looked to Sakura and Kaeun for help but the couple just shrugged in unison, resulting in Yena letting out one final wail in defeat.

 

“Bye Kaeun-unnie! You’re too hot for Kkura—!”

 

The Reaper and the cherry blossom watches the couple disappear around the corner, and only when the two are out of sight do they release the breath they had been holding all the while.

 

Yena was a like a typhoon. Sakura loved the girl to bits but after relatively calm and sedated moments with Kaeun, the utter chaos a Yena visit can cause was exhausting. Kaeun tells Sakura that she is used to having loud idiots running amok around her, what with Yujin and Wonyoung constantly causing trouble at the headquarters but Sakura is still apologetic every single time. Kaeun’s job keeps her exhausted enough as it is, without Yena further adding to that.

 

“What did you and Yul talk about?” Sakura asks, finally remembering seeing the two of them talking by the counter before Yuri’s sudden exit.

 

Kaeun laughs lightly, shaking her head as she leans against her beloved cashier counter again.

 

“She’s a sharp one, that Yuri. She must have searched up my name the moment you introduced us way back then. Explains why she didn’t seem to like me in the beginning.”

 

Sakura freezes, eyes growing wide as the implication of Kaeun’s words slowly sank in. “She knows?”

 

A nod, and Sakura groans as Kaeun continues. “She gave me a cloaked warning too. Brave. She must love you a lot.”

 

Yul did that?” It was hard to believe. Yuri was hardly the confrontational one amongst the three of them, and here she was giving out cloaked warnings to known murderers?

 

Kaeun laughs at the look of pure shock on Sakura’s face.

 

Make sure that none of your bugs follow you home to Sakura, exterminator. Kill them all at work.” Kaeun said, in what Sakura assumes was ber best impression of Yuri’s voice. “Honestly she kinda reminded me of Eunbi for a moment. I nearly gave a salute and a ‘Yes ma’am!’”

 

“Don’t get any ideas. She’s studying to be a lawyer, not join the mafia.” Sakura warns, although she doesn’t really know what to make of this new information. 

 

Yuri knows. Yena in her utter obliviousness obviously does not know. Would Yuri tell her? Probably not. That girl was careful with these things. She wouldn’t just recklessly blurt out information that sensitive.

 

“I’m sure the mafia needs a lawyer too.”

 

Sakura snaps her head to her girlfriend, seeing the latter shrug nonchalantly after saying something so suggestively dangerous.

 

“Not funny, unnie.”

 

Kaeun laughs again, obviously content with being able to get a rise out of her girlfriend. The Reaper reaches into her pocket and pulls out a carton of cigarettes, taking a stick out and proceeding to light it up despite the incredulous stare Sakura was giving her. They were in a bloody MALL! You can’t just—just smoke and light up a cigarette in a MALL—she’s lucky the smoke alarms haven’t been working for about a week now.

 

Wait. Did Kaeun tamper with the smoke alarms when she wasn’t looking?

 

“Even Yuri realises though. The war that’s approaching. Probably keeps up with the news.” Kaeun mumbles with a cigarette in , making Sakura click her tongue in annoyance.

 

“You don’t allow me to read the news.” Sakura replies, cupping her hand and dipping it into the nearby goldfish tank in order to fling some water towards her girlfriend and (hopefully) put out the cigarette.

 

“Because I don’t want you to worry.”

 

Of course Kaeun dodges the water attack with ease. Well, it was worth a shot. Maybe she should dunk the woman’s entire head into the tank. That will definitely put the cigarette out.

 

“Is there any reason to be worried?” Sakura asks, concern for her girlfriend showing through despite the semi-violent thoughts she had in her brain about drowning said girlfriend.

 

Kaeun blinked in reply, before wearing a bright smile and shrugging her Greatest Shrug Ever™. “Of course not.”

 

Sakura narrowed her eyes, seeing her girlfriend’s stupid smile only growing wider and more nervous the harder Sakura squinted. That stupid cigarette was still in that stupid mouth. The Japanese girl eventually sighed, recognising this as another one of those losing battles she’s gotten so accustomed to as of late.

 

“....Liar.”

 

 

**************************************

 

 

A few weeks later they’re in Sakura’s house, with the owner of said house busy trying to win an especially frustrating round of Tetris 99 while her girlfriend watches on disinterestedly from the dining table, cleaning her gun in the meantime.

 

“I’m going away for awhile. To Jeju.”

 

“Oh? How long?” Sakura asks, distracted but not bothering to even look away from her screen. It’s not uncommon for Kaeun to go on business trips. She goes wherever she is told to go.

 

“A week, maybe. Two, tops.”

 

Sakura stops playing as soon as she hears Kaeun’s answer, and with good reason. 2 weeks would be the longest Kaeun has ever gone on a mission. The longest they have gone without seeing each other since they started dating. Sakura tries to pretend as if it isn’t a big deal but Kaeun knows better.

 

“How dangerous is it going to be?” The younger girl asks, as she always does whenever Kaeun goes off on missions. This time however, Kaeun pauses a bit longer than she usually does before answering.

 

“Probably a little more than usual. We’re all on edge. With the fall of the Black Dahlia, the power balance has shifted. Everyone is anxious and tense, just waiting for something or someone to make the first move.”

 

“...Did I trigger this?”

 

Kaeun shakes her head, small reassuring smile on her face. “No. With the rate Chaeyeon was going, it was bound to happen anyways. She would’ve found some other way to irritate me enough to wipe her entire family out.”

 

Eventually it would have happened. But there was no denying that Sakura getting kidnapped was the catalyst that turned the cogs of war. It was the event and the reason why the war was happening NOW. Kaeun tries to underplay the fact to not make Sakura feel bad but she knew. If she hadn’t gotten kidnapped, this war wouldn’t be happening right now.

 

“Is there anybody else as good as you in the other families? Anybody else capable of eliminating an entire organisation?” Sakura asks, out of curiosity more than anything. She wanted to know just what dangers her girlfriend would be facing.

 

Kaeun shrugged, trying to seem casual about it. “Probably. But at the risk of sounding conceited, I don’t think there’s anybody who can do it as fast and as efficient as I can.”

 

“So the Red Roses is safe from enemy attack when you’re offshore?”

 

“Probably.”

 

Kaeun sighed after her answer. Long and loud, slouching back into her seat as if an entire week’s worth of exhaustion had hit her all at once.

 

“...Is everything okay, unnie?”

 

Kaeun shakes her head and pouts. Who taught her how to pout? It should be illegal to be that cute.

 

“I’m just so tired. I just want to sleep in my girlfriend’s arms forever!” Kaeun whines with her best aegyo, effectively removing all worry from Sakura’s mind. The latter laughs, getting up from where she had been playing her videogame and moving to give her adorable girlfriend a backhug.

 

“Should I come with you? To Jeju?”

 

Kaeun hums, almost purring like a cat when she feels Sakura’s warm arms wrapping around her shoulders.

 

“It’s dangerous.” Kaeun would protest. It was an unnecessary risk, but then she feels Sakura’s warmth radiating onto her own body and suddenly the thought didn’t seem too bad. “But then again...Having you around would make the trip a LOT more bearable...”

 

Sakura smiled, kissing Kaeun on the cheek to seal the deal. Looks like they’re going on a trip together.

 

 

 

***************************************************************

 

 

Jeju Island was a popular tourist destination,

 

So popular in fact that Sakura wonders if anybody would even notice her presence here, but Kaeun takes no allowance when it comes to her girlfriend’s safety. She did willingly bring Sakura with her on this mission after all. Right into enemy territory.

 

Well, sort of.

 

There hasn’t really been any traces of “enemy” activity in sight. Kaeun has Sakura parked in a luxurious hotel, overlooking the oceans and topographical views of splendor that only an island such as Jeju with it’s many national heritage sites could provide. Kaeun visits her after her missions to take her out to dinner and occasionally to spend the night, but otherwise the Japanese girl doesn’t really get to see much of anything at all. 

 

It was too dangerous for her to go site-seeing on her own. At least, until Kaeun completes her mission which Sakura suspects involves killing a lot of people. It was a war, but it was one conducted in surprising silence. One wouldn’t even know that blood was being spilled every single night in the over-commercialised backroads of the island. There weren’t even any police sirens blaring out when the sun goes down.

 

It was a peaceful place. Heavily commercialised, but peaceful.

 

Kaeun could probably beg to differ, with new cuts and lacerations decorating her body every single time Sakura sees her. The Reaper would stumble into their shared hotel room after a long day of fighting, completely exhausted just to curl up in Sakura’s arms as they lay on the couch together. To “recharge her batteries”, Kaeun explains. 

 

Sakura doesn’t mind. She wants this war to be over just for Kaeun’s sake. Sometimes she finds herself crying while the Reaper sleeps in her arms, delicate fingers tracing over every new injury Kaeun has sustained that day. She knows this body more than anything else. She spends meticulous moments studying every inch of Lee Kaeun’s flesh, thus every new addition of a cut or a fresh bruise goes unmissed. 

 

The only thing Sakura could do to support her girlfriend is wait for her to come home and welcome her with open arms and warm food (in this case, reheated room service). She was useless otherwise. She couldn’t fight Kaeun’s battles. 

 

On the 8th day of her stay in Jeju Island, Kaeun finally returns to the hotel room with a weary smile on her face and her clothes smelling of charcoal briquettes. 

 

“It’s done.” Kaeun says simply before performing her routine of collapsing into Sakura’s arms. 

 

It was a weight off Sakura’s chest, and she peppered the crown of Kaeun’s head with light, affectionate kisses. She was so grateful. So grateful that Kaeun survived yet another battle in this endless war. She could sleep easier tonight, knowing that tonight’s moment of peace would be extended for just a little longer.

 

“...So what do you want to do first thing tomorrow baby? I owe you a proper vacation.”

 

Sakura laughs. Kaeun owes her nothing. She did have a list of places she wanted to see with her girlfriend (she’s been stuck in this hotel room for a week with nothing to do) but before she could start naming them off the sounds of light snoring coming from the woman in her arms tells her that it could wait.

 

Kaeun deserves a night of proper sleep.

 

As she finally manages to drag Kaeun’s unconscious form onto the taller-than-necessary four-poster bed they shared, Sakura can’t help but notice just how young and girlish her girlfriend looked.

 

The Reaper and Lee Kaeun. Such contrasting sides of the same coin.

 

 

 

******************************************************************

 

 

Her older girlfriend held the image of someone who was more than proficient at doing anything and everything, from opening too-tight jars of peanut butter to doing mass loads of laundry at inhuman speeds. In this regard it’s always a nice surprise whenever Sakura gets the chance to discover something that the woman wasn’t able to do well. It’s rare, but it happens.

 

Today she discovers that Lee Kaeun had no idea how to ride a bicycle.

 

She was never taught, is the excuse the older woman gives to justify her lack of expertise. She has a car and a chauffeur, what does she need to ride a bicycle for?

 

Still it does not stop the grin from splitting across Sakura’s face from ear to ear. That is how they end up spending their remaining days on Jeju Island renting bicycles and riding them (poorly, in Kaeun’s case) all over the island. With Sakura’s careful tutelage and Kaeun’s uncanny knack in picking up new physical activities with alarming speed, it only takes a day for the Reaper to zip around and ride circles around the Japanese girl.

 

Sakura was able to experience a sweet few hours of being better than Kaeun at something. That was good enough, she supposed.

 

It was their last night in Jeju, and the couple decided to spend it by a cliffside overlooking the ocean, feet dangling precariously off the edge as they huddled close together wrapped in a thick blanket and a can of Cass in their hands.

 

It was a quiet part of the island. Probably closed off to tourists so they really shouldn’t be here but they had stumbled upon this scenic place by chance and there wasn’t exactly anybody around to stop them. Maybe Kaeun’s rebellious side is rubbing off on Sakura.

 

“It’s beautiful here.” Sakura says as the night air blows a salty breeze across her face. She hears Kaeun hum next to her as the latter takes a loud sip from her can.

 

“Anywhere with you is beautiful.”

 

The cheesy reply comes out of left field and Sakura finds herself almost doubled over in laughter, amused because such cheesiness came from Lee Kaeun. She feels a strong arm wrap around her waist just to ensure that she doesn’t accidentally fall off the edge of the cliff in her exuberance. The possible danger was not even at the forefront of her mind. Kaeun has always been so good at keeping her safe.

 

“When did you get so sweet?” Sakura teases, poking Kaeun in the side and giggles as the woman jerks away from the touch.

 

“I don’t know.” Kaeun shrugs, the dim light of the moon illuminating her face just enough for Sakura to be able to see the hint of pink colouring the woman’s cheeks. “Just felt like sayin’ it I guess.”

 

It was hardly a romantic reason, but Sakura leans up and kisses her girlfriend on the cheek anyways. Call it a reward if you will. Frankly Sakura just really likes kissing Kaeun. If societal obligations and bodily needs weren’t a thing, she would be kissing Kaeun every minute of the day if she had a choice. Actually scratch that. She does have one primary bodily need, and that is to feel Lee Kaeun’s body pressed against hers.

 

What a privilege she has. To be able to kiss a Goddess such as Lee Kaeun anytime she wants. To call someone so ravishing, so beautiful, hers. Something up there must have aligned to allow this circumstance to happen. A lucky star perhaps? A fairy god-mother watching over her? Logic would dictate that such a thing does not exist, but the way her heart beats to the tune of an unrecognisable love song whenever she is with Kaeun was hardly logical. 

 

“I need to leave Gwangju more often. The world is a really big place.” Sakura decides after a moment of contemplating things that are bigger than her.

 

From where they are seated, they could see the entire horizon and although it was nighttime the view was still breathtaking. There was so much more to the world than Gwangju and her tiny studio apartment.

 

“Where else would you want to go?” Kaeun inquires, giving the girl next to her all of her undivided attention.

 

“I don’t know. It’s...It’s never been an option for me. I never had the luxury to choose anything before.” Sakura replies. She hears Kaeun hum and the former turns to look at her girlfriend, who had a distant look in her grey eyes. As if she was both here and not simultaneously.

 

“...I’ve always wanted to go to Paris.” Kaeun says after a measure of silence.

 

“That sounds so far away.”

 

“The City of Love, they call it. I don’t know. It sounds a lot less stressful than my current living situation.”

 

Kaeun chuckles lightly to end her statement but there was a weight there that couldn’t be disguised so easily. The woman was stressed with work. Understandably so, but she rarely allows Sakura to see just how her occupation is affecting her wellbeing. Being an Enforcer must take it’s toll. Being the BEST Enforcer must be downright strenuous at best.

 

“Can I come with you?” Sakura asks as she traces small patterns on the back of Kaeun’s hand. She draws stars. Flowers. Pikachu. Random shapes as an excuse to have her skin pressing against her girlfriend’s.

 

Kaeun pulls her hand away only to throw it over Sakura’s shoulder, pulling the latter closer to her as if they weren’t already impossibly close enough. “Of course. You’re already there with me, in my head. We’ll live in a quaint stone townhouse and you’ll get me fresh croissants each morning.”

 

“That’s the least I could do. You probably paid for that stone townhouse, so getting croissants sounds like a fair deal.”

 

Kaeun laughs, and in turn it makes Sakura laugh as well. These quiet moments. She wanted them to last forever.

 

“Hey Kkura.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Y’know....That last mission was the hardest I’ve ever had to complete.”

 

Sakura jumps to attention, eyes wide and immediately scanning the taller woman next to her.

 

“Are you hurt?! You didn’t tell me! I wouldn’t have made you ride bikes then!”

 

“No. No I’m fine.” Kaeun waves her off but Sakura still frowned in disbelief, eyes looking for invisible injuries way beyond the normal cuts and bruises the Reaper usually came home with.

 

“I’m serious Kkura. I’m fine.”

 

“Then...what was hard about your mission?”

 

Kaeun seems to steel herself, as if contemplating if she really wanted to say what she was about to say. Taking a deep breath Kaeun looks out onto the ocean, eyes fixed upon the vast horizon before finally exhaling long and slow.

 

“It’s just...It’s getting harder and harder for me to kill.”

 

Sakura tilts her head in confusion. “Is that a...bad thing?”

 

Kaeun chuckles simply. “Yeah. It’s horrible for my job. A Reaper who hesitates to take lives. What good is a Reaper with a dull scythe? I mean—“

 

The woman was scratching her head now, obviously frustrated at something and trying to get to a point but Sakura was sure that Kaeun didn’t quite know how to get there. She watches Kaeun struggle, not knowing how to help so she stayed quiet.

 

“—I see them as living people now, instead of targets. It’s from all the time I spend with you, I think.”

 

Sakura nods, to show that she is listening but she wasn’t quite following the story.

 

“You’ve made me ineffective as a killer. You brought out the humanity in me. You’ve made me weak, Sakura.”

 

“....Are you breaking up with me?”

 

Sakura was scared. She didn’t quite know where this was going but she hoped that she had read the situation wrong. Her heart was in and she was just about ready to plead for Kaeun to rethink her decision when the older woman herself shook her head in denial.

 

“No.” Kaeun paused, taking her gaze off the horizon to instead look at Sakura. “I...like being weak. I’ve never...never had the luxury to be weak before. It’s a nice feeling.”

 

A smile plays across Kaeun’s face, one that is mirrored by Sakura herself. Kaeun leans in and captures Sakura’s lips in a searing kiss; as if to burn away the doubts and insecurities that would lead Sakura to think that the former ever had the thought of breaking up with her. It was always different when Kaeun was the one who initiates the kiss. It was almost more frantic. More...raw, less about romance but more about proving a statement. That she wanted Sakura. That she needed, Sakura. That words alone weren’t enough to convey the swell of emotions rising up within her.

 

Sakura is left panting as they separate for air. Maybe it is the lack of oxygen to her brain that causes her to blurt out what was on the forefront of her mind. The one thing that she’s restrained herself from saying because it could be too much of a burden once uttered out loud.

 

“I love you, Kaeun-unnie.”

 

The moment those grey eyes grew wider was the moment Sakura realised what she had just confessed, and that it was too late to take it back. She could see the panic spread through Kaeun’s features, probably having never been confessed to in her life.

 

“Sakura—“ Kaeun began, uncertainty dripping even from the very first syllable and that tells Sakura to cut the woman off. To take the pressure off her.

 

“You don’t have to say it back! I just...I just wanted you to know. I’ve fallen in love with you.”

 

It felt good. To be able to say it out loud, finally. She sees the conflicting emotions in those grey eyes and she tries to be understanding of it. She tries to tell herself that she shouldn’t expect anything from Kaeun, as the woman has bigger things to worry about. Bigger burdens to carry. Sakura was just a tiny piece of her world. Just being here; having this moment with Kaeun was enough for Sakura. Just being allowed to love Lee Kaeun was more than she could ever ask for.

 

“I...” Kaeun begins, but hesitates. As if she herself realises the gravity of what her next words following this confession would have.

 

The Reaper sighs, turning her gaze back out into the ocean. She closes her eyes, savouring the night breeze blowing her auburn hair about and a ghost of a smile appears on her beautiful, youthful face. A hand slowly finds it’s way to Sakura’s, and Kaeun interlaces their fingers together. A plea for strength. It was Kaeun’s turn to voice out what has been on her mind for the past few weeks.

 

Sakura watches as Kaeun’s lips slowly part, the latter’s eyes slowly opening to reveal a steely determination behind fiery grey. 

 

“I want to leave the Red Roses.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________

 

 

Hello!

 

So, this is it. We are entering the final arc of this story. The direction this story was heading to all the while: Lee Kaeun leaving the Red Roses. Was it surprising? Hahaha

 

The next few chapters will be told through Kaeun’s perspective, as from now on it’s her story. Her journey of fighting this war as Sakura waits for the love of her life to return to her. Goodness me this has been fun to write. It’s been ages since I was able to write an entire chapter of just FLUFF. I hope you find this chapter to be wholesome and sweet.

 

I...really wanted you readers to fall in love with Lee Kaeun in this story. The eventual reveal of her wanting to leave the Red Roses wouldn’t be as impactful if none of you really cared about her. That was the hard part. Making Kaeun charming enough to be liked by all of you. I hope you like her, and I hope that you can feel the swell of anticipation of what’s to come just by reading that last line. I want to leave the Red Roses.

 

It will be fun. It will be chaotic. It will be tense. Hopefully. If I could write it well enough. This is the final arc! Let’s go forwards and end it with a bang, yeah? The Reaper versus the World!!

 

This whole chapter was inspired by a song from Sleeping With Sirens called James Dean & Audrey Hepburn. Especially the line in the song that goes “You bring out the beast in me. I fell in love from the moment we kissed”. That last scene on the cliff overlooking the ocean was inspired by the cover for their album, “If You Were A Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack”. 

 

 

Huge shoutout to the upvoters TheLoneWolf48, littledreamer, jakiem and 39daun ! All of you inspire me to write better. I love your comments and feedback. Thank you so much. From the bottom of my heart.

 

See you in the next update!


_____________________________________________


"But I love you like my own sister, Kaeun. I don’t want you to die. I want you to live, and in order for that to happen I need you to WANT to live."

"I have no intentions of dying, Eunbi.”

"...That’s what I want to hear.”

"How many am I up against? 5, maybe 10 thousand?"

"Doesn't that sound doable for the Reaper?"

"....Almost sounds too easy."


Don't Fear The Reaper
Chapter 9: Till Death Do Us Part (Part 1)

 

___