Dive In

Don't Fear The Reaper



Lee Kaeun. 25. Reaper. Likes Cute Pajamas, And Everybody Is Too Afraid To Make Fun Of Her For It.




Miyawaki Sakura. 20. Wanted To Buy A Book On How To Be Tough, But It Was Too Heavy For Her To Carry Home.

 

 

"Dive in, take a breath, blow your smoke through the hole in my chest."
 

_____________________________________________________

 






Sakura finds herself attending the Red Roses’ training sessions.

 

Not as a participant, but as part of the audience. She observes as the newer recruits get put through the ringer by an intense Reaper, who never fails to remind them that one mistake would equal the last one they will ever make. 

 

Sakura would be lying if she said she wasn’t curious. She sees one recruit get nearly blown back by the recoil produced by the M16 rifle he was shooting, and she wonders if it really was that bad. Would she get blown back too? They were built pretty much the same, the recruit and her. They had the same frame. It really didn’t seem that hard. 

 

Sakura begins to wonder what it would feel like to fire a gun. She ponders how the weight of a knife would feel like in her hands. Kaeun makes every minute movement look like a dance. So graceful and certain, almost as if every step taken was choreographed perfectly in Kaeun’s head instead of thought up on the fly. She attends a full week’s worth of training sessions before gathering enough courage to ask Kaeun if she could learn how to shoot a gun.

 

Kaeun promptly shuts her down, of course. The Reaper tells her that she had no business learning how to fight, and that she would only end up hurting herself or others. There was a valid point to that, but Sakura keeps getting dragged to practice sessions regardless of what Kaeun might think. Sakura begins to think that the other Red Roses members don’t share Kaeun’s point of view. They seem eager to train her. A little too eager.

 

Maybe it was pride. Maybe it was obedience, but Sakura would always refuse their proposals. She didn’t want to learn self-defence without Kaeun’s consent. She wanted the Reaper to be the one to teach her, but such an event doesn’t seem to be coming anytime soon.

 

Sakura continues following Kaeun to these practice sessions, although she never ends up learning anything. It was a brilliant way to pass the time, and a Kaeun in her -kicking element was an extremely attractive Kaeun.

 

“Elbows UP Gyuri. You’re making this too easy for me.”

 

Sakura watches from the bleachers as today’s victim struggles to parry Kaeun’s half-hearted swings with a knife. One could easily tell that the Reaper wasn’t even trying her hardest, but the poor girl she was training could barely keep up.

 

“Give me....a Howitzer and maybe...maybe an entire army of ninjas. Maybe then I’ll put up more of a fig—ACK!”

 

Kaeun cuts Gyuri’s spiel short with a sharp kick to the jaw, knocking the trainee off her feet and into the adjacent wall. Poor Gyuri was unconscious before her feet had even touched the floor.

 

“I doubt it. NEXT!”

 

That would make victim number 5, just this one morning. Something was up with the training today, because the -kicking that Kaeun was handing out this time seemed to be done with a purpose instead of at random. There were also a lot more people in the audience watching today’s session instead of the usual loiterers.

 

Sakura recognises all of them of course. In her one week staying at the Red Roses headquarters, she had formally been introduced to and informally bumped into almost every single person living in this building. It wasn’t hard. They seemed eager to meet her as well. “The Reaper’s Girlfriend”, they so lovingly dubbed her. 

 

The nickname never fails to bring a flush to her cheeks. She wonders if Kaeun minds it?

 

“Kkura-unnie...”

 

Sakura looks down, almost falls out of her seat in shock when she sees a brunette girl with fox-like features crawling up the seats towards her, a look of fear in the girl’s eyes.

 

“Kkura-unnie...Save us...”

 

The fox-girl repeats, and Sakura would love to but she didn’t know how to do so. The Reaper had her sights set on these soldiers, and Sakura doubts that anybody could save them now. She’s witnessed first hand what Lee Kaeun could accomplish once she’s set her mind on something. Images of a dead Chaeyeon and a building full of corpses come to mind.

 

“Lee Nakyung. Where do you think you’re running off to?”

 

The look of fear on Nakyung’s eyes morphed into one of sheer terror as Kaeun addressed her from the training room floor. 

 

“I’m not running, I’m crawling away verrry very slowly—EEK!” Nakyung shrieks as Kaeun cuts her off mid-sentence by throwing a knife straight towards the younger girl, missing Nakyung’s face (and Sakura’s foot) by mere centimetres.

 

“Get down here! What do you think Sakura of all people can do for you?!”

 

Sakura tries to not get offended by Kaeun’s insinuation. “Sakura of all people”. What is that supposed to mean? Was she not a threat? Maybe Sakura should throw her shoe at the Reaper and THEN we’ll talk about who is and isn’t a threat. She’s got quite a good arm on her, the dead roaches in her studio apartment can attest to that. 

 

One throw. Right across the room. 100% kill rate against any roaches wandering her line of sight.

 

Sakura could be a sniper if she so chooses.

 

....Probably.

 

“NEXT!” Kaeun shouts again, nudging Nakyung’s unconscious body to the side with her foot. Well, that didn’t take any time at all. A shaky young boy probably no older than Nakyung herself takes her place, and almost immediately cowers in fear as Kaeun swings her knife down upon him.

 

“Why is Kaeunnie choosing your protégé for you again?”

 

Sakura turns to see Nako talking to Hyewon, who Sakura just only realised was sitting right next to her. Huh. These Enforcers were part time ninjas. When did they even get here? 

 

“Because I’m lazy.” Hyewon replies, taking a long slurp of the bucket-sized 7-Eleven drink she was hugging with both hands. The Enforcer honestly didn’t seem interested in this whole process at all.

 

Now Sakura learns why there were so many people in attendance today. It was a ceremony to find Hyewon’s new protégé, and from what Sakura hears nobody is really clamouring for the job. Protégés and Enforcers are usually the ones who lead the charge in raids and combat situations, thus only the most motivated of people were suited for the job.

 

Sakura wasn’t an expert. She’s fairly new to this after all, but as she sees Kaeun add yet another unconscious body to the ever-growing pile in the corner, there wasn’t a motivated soul in sight.

 

“You realise at this rate she’ll probably be handing your protégé over to you in a matchbox right?” Ahn Yujin chirped up from a few rows behind Sakura, and Hyewon just shrugged in response.

 

“Why can’t I just have Kkura here as my protégé?” Hyewon asked, nonchalantly swinging an arm around Sakura’s shoulder and pulling the Japanese girl closer to her.

 

Hyewon was...muscular. Surprisingly so. The arm holding Sakura close to the Enforcer’s body was rock-solid, a surprise given how aloof and generally uncaring Hyewon appeared to be. A blush slowly made it’s way across Sakura’s cheeks when Hyewon pulls her ever closer, and wow Hyewon actually smells good too—

 

“ACKNOONAHAVEMERCY—“

 

Everyone’s gaze returns to the training field, where Kaeun was strangling a spiky-haired boy while looking directly at Sakura and Hyewon. It didn’t take a genius to decipher the message Kaeun was trying to send, and without further prompting Hyewon pulled her arm away from Sakura.

 

Sakura felt butterflies form in her gut from the Reaper’s possessiveness. Or was it protectiveness? Was she trying to prevent Hyewon from putting her moves on Sakura, or was she just being a fussy parent overseeing the child in her care?

 

“I saw Kkura-unnie get bullied around by a housefly earlier. Not exactly your best choice for a protégé.”

 

“YOU SAW?!” Sakura exclaimed in embarrassment as she turned to face an amused Nako, completely forgetting her previous train of thought.

 

“Yeah. You’re such a wimp.” 

 

“It was FAST!” Sakura shouted in defence of her own good name, which wasn’t really worth much over here because pretty much all these people think she’s a loser and yeah they’re probably right but couldn’t they at least leave her with a semblance of dignity?

 

Wonyoung was like HALF her age but TWICE her height. An over exaggeration, but the two weeks she’s spent with the Red Roses isn’t doing much for her self esteem.

 

“NEXT! You! Jisun!” Kaeun calls out to an extremely pretty girl who steps up to the plate with extreme hesitation, obviously not eager to have her face get un-prettied.

 

“She’s on fire today, isn’t she?” Somebody says from a few rows behind Sakura.

 

“Well, Kkura’s here, so she’s probably just showing off.”

 

That was probably a false assumption. Sakura had been to almost every training session since she started staying with the Red Roses and even she could tell that there was something about today’s Kaeun. The Reaper was on her 8th protégé candidate and she was hardly even breathing heavily.

 

The Reaper was almost inhuman. It’s constantly being said, but Sakura can’t help thinking it every time she sees Kaeun in her element. The way the older woman simply cuts through the air with such ease, dancing around Jisun’s slashes despite the candidate’s best attempts. 

 

Kaeun was amazing. 

 

The Reaper jumps to avoid a low sweep from Jisun and her hoodie lifts up momentarily to reveal a physique that belonged on the covers of fitness magazines. That must be how Kaeun packs so much strength behind her every move. Sakura wonders if she could develop a body like that as well? How much training had to have gone into that?

 

“Stop drooling over her abs Kkura-unnie! You’re flooding our basement!” A grating voice that Sakura recognised as Ahn Yujin’s jeers from behind her.

 

“Is that what that is? I thought we had a plumbing problem or something.” Wonyoung joins in with the teasing, and Sakura was now blushing bright crimson.

 

“I’m NOT drooling!”

 

A clang of metal, and all eyes return back to the training field. Jisun has dropped her knife, and had her arms up in surrender while Kaeun had hers pointed at the younger girl’s throat. Despite her loss, Jisun has fared the best amongst the other candidates.

 

She was still conscious, at least.

 

“She’s an absolute monster. Who taught her how to use a knife?” A male voice carries over from the front rows, a mixture of astonishment and horror. Sakura picks up shreds of conversations from all around her, each echoing the earlier sentiment.

 

“Heard she learned from the Boss’ brother. The Kwon’s have always been pretty good at fighting despite being stuck behind a desk most of the time, but Jiyong-nim is a downright savant.”

 

“If she trained under Kwon Jiyong it’s no wonder she’s that comfortable with a knife. I’ve seen him in battle before. A madman, that one. Better suited to be an Enforcer than in admin.”

 

“Look at her though. It’s like she’s not even trying....”

 

“Well, she probably isn’t, but can you really blame her though? The Enforcers are on a different planet from us normal folk. There’s a reason why they’re the main military force in the organization.”

 

“Are they really that strong...?” Sakura finds herself absentmindedly asking outloud, completely forgetting her surroundings and who she was sitting next to. Fortunately however, the Enforcer next to her didn’t seem fazed by the question.

 

“Nope. We’re horrible. Seriously. Don’t send us out on missions and just let us sleep in all day, please.” Hyewon replies inbetween mouthfuls of crisps.

 

“Don’t take Hyewon seriously Sakura. Despite being the LAZIEST member of the ENTIRE Red Roses, she’s actually pretty agile. Even Kaeun can’t keep up with her speed when Hyewon gets serious.”

 

A rush of movement accompanied that bold claim, and Sakura turns to see everybody around her standing up to bow to Eunbi. Sakura was about to follow suit, when Eunbi simply gestured for everyone to sit back down. 

 

The leader takes a seat in the empty chair to Sakura’s right, observing Kaeun finishing off her 10th straight victim with a curious smile on her elegant face. 

 

“...Would you like to see what happens when the Enforcers fight each other, Sakura?” 

 

The girl in question could only blink in confusion in response to Eunbi’s inquiry, which soundly suspiciously like an invitation. Sakura didn’t want to be the cause of anything unpleasant so she stayed mum despite being wholeheartedly curious, but maybe words weren’t needed. Maybe, based on the mischievous smirk on Eunbi’s face, the question asked was meant to be rhetoric, and she was going to make them fight anyways regardless of what Sakura’s answer was going to be.

 

“Reaper!” Eunbi calls out, silencing the entire hall and gaining Kaeun’s attention.

 

“How about an intermission? A half-time show, perhaps?”

 

Kaeun narrows her eyes at Eunbi, who doesn’t let the mischievous grin fall from her face. “What are you up to, Eunbi?”

 

“Oh nothing. I think it’s just been awhile since I’ve last seen you actually put your back into something.”

 

“Why don’t you follow me on one of my eradication missions then?”

 

“I can’t! I’m a fragile flower that needs to be protected from the elements! I won’t survive a MINUTE beyond these walls!” Eunbi declares dramatically, resting a hand on her forehead like the damsel in distress that everybody currently present knew she wasn’t. 

 

Kaeun, visibly annoyed, merely clicked her tongue and moved towards the weapons table positioned at the side of the training field to pick up a new knife. The grin on Eunbi’s face grew ever wider, if that was even possible, and it became clearly apparent to Sakura that the leader found much joy in moving her people around like pieces on a chessboard for her own amusement.

 

“Nako. Go down and give us a show, why don’t you?”

 

The smaller Enforcer is on her feet in microseconds. “Yes! It’s been ages since I’ve gotten a good workout in!”

 

“Will Hyewon be joining us too?” Kaeun asked, balancing a knife by it’s hilt on the point of her index finger.

 

Hyewon shook her head while slouched in her seat, not showing any desire to participate whatsoever. “I’m good, thanks. Got a bag of chips. Not interested in fighting.” 

 

The atmosphere in the hall...changed, somehow. There was a swell in the air, as if everybody was waiting with bated breath for a wave to crash over them. Sakura looked around, and everybody had the same odd mixture of anticipation and concern on their faces. Sakura would venture out to say that the Enforcers don’t often fight with each other.

 

“Boss...are you sure about this? Usually when Enforcers fight, at least one of them gets hospitalized for several days, and Kkang-unnie is in the middle of an important mission.” Yunjin, Kaeun’s protégé, timidly asks Eunbi. 

 

“Oh? Are you suggesting that your handler will lose to Nako, Yunjinnie~?”

 

Eunbi was obviously goading Yunjin, and the protégé backed down while mumbling her protests. Sakura only managed to catch the younger girl mutter a quick “Nothing is impossible” before a loud whoop from the field draws her attention away.

 

“And NABUKI ENTERS THE ARENA!” Nako announces while flipping over the metal barricade separating the viewing stands from the training field with all the gusto of a pro-wrestler making her entrance. Nako was enjoying this, definitely.

 

“I never agreed to anything.” Kaeun however, did not seem to share her fellow Enforcer’s enthusiasm. Nako makes her way to the weapons table and they make eye contact as Kaeun walks back to the center of the field. 

 

“Well you best be on your guard then. Don’t wanna look bad in front of your girlfriend, do ya?” Nako jerks her head in the direction of the audience, and anyone could tell that it had struck a nerve with Kaeun. The latter’s usual uncaring demeanour seemed to stagger somewhat.

 

“....I am not afraid to hit a child, Nako.”

 

“What a coincidence!” Nako chirps, joining Kaeun in the center of the field with an overly-friendly smile on her face. “Neither am I!”

 

There was a brief moment of tense silence as the two Enforcers stared each other down. Nako was considerably shorter than Kaeun, and Sakura had been wondering since the moment she was first introduced to the tiny Enforcer just how effective can one as small as Nako be at killing someone?

 

Her question was answered a second later when Nako sprints towards Kaeun without any warning. The Japanese Enforcer was equipped with 6 knives in total; 3 being held between her fingers in each hand. Nako closes the distance between her and Kaeun with frightening speed, making a grand slash with both hands that Kaeun somehow managed to parry and deflect using only a single knife.

 

Nako continues her assault, haphazardly slashing at Kaeun with her knives as the Reaper stayed on the defensive. Sakura stared dumbly at all the action, mouth hung open in amazement because of just how...fast they both moved. Fast wasn’t even the word to describe it. Sakura’s eyes couldn’t keep up with their hands as their knives moved faster than humanly possible.

 

Nako’s fighting style was chaotic. Pure chaos. The shorter girl flipped and twirled and jumped through the air like Yoda or a flea on a hot tin roof making it incredibly difficult for Kaeun to attack her. It was a testament to Kaeun’s skill that she could stay on the defensive for this long with just one knife, when Nako was using 6 and BOTH of her hands. The latter appeared to be enjoying this, if the manic smile stretching across the Enforcer’s face was any indication.

 

A chill crept up Sakura’s spine as the crazy expression Nako was wearing reminded Sakura of her own brush with insanity. It was eerily similar, how the sheer delight and ecstasy on Nako’s face reminded Sakura of Chaeyeon.

 

Nako takes a large step in, and faster than Sakura’s eyes could even process it Kaeun greeted Nako’s approach with a wide horizontal slash. The shorter of the two avoids it with a graceful backflip, creating some distance between them. Nako laughs brightly as she shows off her knives to the audience and Sakura could see that about 4 of them had the blades chipped and broken, courtesy of Kaeun’s continued parries and blocks.

 

“You’re getting slow, Kaeun.” Eunbi lightheartedly chides, and Sakura turns her attention to the Reaper to see what the leader meant. She was surprised to find Kaeun with two long cuts running along her left bicep, her sleeve in tatters and her arm bleeding. It appears Sakura wasn’t the only one surprised by this development, as a rush of murmurs and harsh whispers falls over the rest of the audience.

 

The Reaper was injured. Evidently it wasn’t something that happens often.

 

Kaeun for the most part looked completely annoyed. She stared at her torn up sleeve with furrowed eyebrows before sighing and taking the whole hoodie off altogether. Kaeun tosses the article of clothing aside, leaving her in nothing but a figure-hugging grey sports bra that barely left much to the imagination. Sakura’s eyes traced Kaeun’s perfectly defined abs, strong biceps, large—wow Sakura’s lips were now dry and her nose was about to start bleeding did somebody turn up the heat in this hall?

 

The sound of a camera going off causes everyone to turn their heads back to find Minju holding up her phone, smiling sheepishly as she was caught taking a picture of the Reaper’s godly physique. Yujin whispers to Minju to send it to her later. Sakura wonders if Minju would be willing to send her the photo as well. 

 

She was not one to be too proud to beg.

 

“You alright there, Kaeun-unnie~?” Nako sang, skipping in place as she finished replenishing her knives from the table. Despite her manic way of fighting the shorter girl hasn’t even broken a sweat, whereas Kaeun was noticeably panting. The previous fights must have started to creep up on the Reaper.

 

Kaeun took a deep breath and exhaled long and slow, calming her breathing while stretching her long limbs. When she’s done relieving the excess tension in her body, Kaeun returns to the center of the field but something has changed with the Reaper.

 

She was a lot more relaxed. Her limbs were looser, but the tension around her seemed to increase 10-fold. Like a grenade without it’s pin. 

 

“...Let’s continue.”

 

For the second time that day, a chill ran up Sakura’s spine as Kaeun uttered that sentence. Perhaps it was just her instincts but despite being all the way here in the audience, Sakura’s entire body was screaming for her to get as far away from Kaeun as possible. To run away, because this was about to get dangerous. It wasn’t just her though, as everyone else in the audience started to fidget restlessly. There was a murderous glint in Kaeun’s grey eyes. A tiny flame being stoked into a bonfire. 

 

“Now we’re in for a show.” Eunbi said with a knowing smile, and Sakura finally gets it. The reason behind the sudden change in tension. The fear Sakura was currently feeling as she looks out onto the Enforcers on the field.

 

Sakura had just witnessed Lee Kaeun transform into the Reaper.

 

Quicker than Sakura could process, heck, quicker than even Nako was moving earlier on, Kaeun dashes forward. Her knife leaves her hand with a swift flick of the wrist, cutting through the air headed straight towards Nako. The shorter Enforcer easily deflects it, sending the knife flying back through the air only for it to be intercepted by Kaeun’s foot.

 

It was impossible. It should be impossible, for ANY human to move like that but Sakura is seeing one do so with her very own eyes. Maybe those rumours of Kaeun being a monster wasn’t an over exaggeration after all. The speed and agility currently being put on display...

 

Kaeun had continued running after she flung her knife towards Nako. As if predicting where Nako was going to deflect the blade to, Kaeun had jumped and aimed a kick at practically nothing. She was just—just doing a flying kick to THIN AIR! But then the deflected knife had connected with her foot in midair, and was redirected back towards Nako at double the speed.

 

Having no time to dodge the incoming projectile, Nako had raised her left hand just fast enough for the blade to sink into the back of it, avoiding any vital points. As if she didn’t have a bloody knife sticking out of one hand, Nako slashes (a still airborne) Kaeun with her other hand, who stops the attack by nonchalantly grabbing Nako’s wrist as if the Reaper had seen the attack coming a year ahead of time.

 

Having both arms incapacitated, Nako had no way of blocking the open palm strike Kaeun nails directly into the shorter girl’s jaw. Nako stumbles backwards, creating some space between them that honestly Kaeun was all too kind to allow. The Japanese Enforcer spits out a tooth and laughs heartily. As if she was happy that Kaeun was finally being serious. As if she took pride in bringing out that murderous glare in the Reaper’s eyes.

 

Nako pulled Kaeun’s knife out of her hand and tosses it aside, not even wincing as she did so. Blood splashed onto the tiled floor, and Nako was off again. Throwing a flurry of attacks that Kaeun was forced to defend while unarmed. Kaeun expertly did so, ignoring Nako’s 6 knives and instead focused on the arms holding then, blocking and swatting away Nako’s forearms and wrists. Kaeun does a large backstep, forcing Nako to overextend forwards due to her shorter reach and that is when the Reaper strikes.

 

Using the backstep as a feint, Kaeun instead immediately rushes forwards the same time Nako does so, catching the girl off balance and ramming her head against the shorter girl’s forehead. Nako’s head whips backwards, but before she could stumble back to create some more separation between them, Kaeun had rooted the girl to the spot by stepping on her foot.

 

Nako’s eyes grow wide in realisation as to what was coming next.

 

“—“

 

“Finally caught you, you little flea.” Kaeun spits, finally able to chain down Nako and her unpredictable movements.

 

Next to Sakura, Eunbi shakes her head and chuckles. “It’s over.”

 

Kaeun bends low, her left fist almost dragging along the floor with how low her posture was, before twisting her waist violently. Her left fist slashes diagonally through the air and connects with Nako’s unguarded side with so much impact that Sakura swears she saw a shockwave appear around the two Enforcers. There was a sickening crack, and Nako is sent flying several feet to the side like a broken doll. She lands in a crumpled heap, coughing and screaming in agony while clutching her broken side. 

 

Nako curls into a ball, writhing on the floor as she wheezes and vocalises the pain she was currently feeling. The fight was over. The Reaper had won in emphatic fashion.

 

A silence falls over the audience, before one by one they start to remember how to speak again and before long the hall was filled with excited chatter and conversation.

 

“That never ceases to amaze me. That’s her favourite punch! You know she’s aiming for your liver, but Goddamn there’s no way for you to avoid it. She’s just too powerful.”

 

“The Reaper is a demon! Did you hear the sound her fist made when it connected with Nako-unnie’s body? That’s not the sound flesh is supposed to make!”

 

“You think it’s possible for me to be transferred into the accounting department? I don’t think the battlefield is for me, if there are demons like THAT on it.”

 

“I-Is Nako going to be okay?!” Sakura asks worriedly to nobody in particular. Why wasn’t anyone tending to the young girl? Sure she was an Enforcer, but what the heck was that punch?!

 

“She definitely has some broken ribs. That punch is nasty. s your insides up completely. A normal person would have lost consciousness due to the pain.” Yunjin explains, sounding all to familiar with her handler’s favourite move. She pauses, before shaking her head and smiling before continuing. “A normal person, that is.”

 

Sakura turns her attention back to the field to see Nako already standing up on her own, ragged breathing but still laughing that familiar laugh. She smiles as Kaeun approaches her, a gesture that the Reaper returns with one of her own. They give each other a high-5, an act that causes Nako to wince in pain and Kaeun pats the younger Enforcer on the shoulder before stepping aside to allow Hitomi and her bevy of medics to attend to Nako’s wounds.

 

Hitomi gestures to Kaeun’s shoulder and throws the Reaper a couple of rolls of bandages, which the latter caught with her right hand. Her left arm, Sakura now realises, was dripping even more blood than the two gashes from earlier should have caused. Tracing the small rivulets of blood to it’s source, Sakura gasped when she saw two knives sticking out of Kaeun’s shoulder. The exchange must have taken place during the liver punch, with Nako’s counterattack coming too fast for Sakura to see.

 

Neither party got away scott free. Kaeun was left standing in the end, but Nako herself put up a valiant fight. If there was one thing Sakura could take away from this it would be the confirmation of something that she’s suspected all along.

 

The Red Roses’ Enforcers are insane.

 

“So...what do you think?” Eunbi asks, breaking Sakura out of her thoughts.

 

“That was incredible...straight out of a movie. I...I didn’t expect Nako to fight like that. She becomes someone else entirely. It’s like she’s possessed.” Sakura replies, still shaken from the earlier display of aggression both parties had shown.

 

“Well...Chaeyeon was her handler after all. Nako was her protégé, so there’s bound to be similarities in the way they fight.” Eunbi shrugs, and then suddenly it all made sense to Sakura. 

 

The hints of insanity she sensed and the chill up her spine. It all made sense now.

 

“How about Kaeunnie though? Are you impressed?” Yujin inquired loudly from the back, while Minju and Wonyoung giggled like preteens next to her.

 

“Yeah...” Sakura trails off, watching Kaeun bandage her injured shoulder in the distance. “She’s really, really strong! Is there anything she can’t do?”

 

“Well...it’s not like she isn’t without her weaknesses. It’s just that there’s probably no single human out there that can take advantage of those weaknesses.” Eunbi answers, but doesn’t explain any further. Sakura stares curiously at the rest of the family members, wondering if one of them would do the honours.

 

Fortunately enough, Yunjin takes pity on her and does so.

 

“Kkang-unnie tires out really fast. Her body can’t keep up with her physical abilities, so she gets winded pretty easily. If you were to fight her, that would be your best shot. Wear the Reaper out.”

 

Hyewon sighs. “Even with THAT knowledge though...none of us have ever completely beaten her in a fight when she gets serious.”

 

“Really? Not even once?” Sakura asks in wonderment.

 

Eunbi supplies an explanation, despite being silent earlier. “Her strength is in her ability to just...predict how people will react to certain movements. If she shoots you and you somehow managed to dodge it, she knows exactly which direction you’ll dodge to so the second shot won’t miss. She knows what kind of punch you’ll throw before you even think of it yourself. It’s crazy. Inhuman. I don’t even know how she does it.”

 

“Also she hits like an ape.” Minju adds unhelpfully.

 

“Yeah. Her technique is perfect. No wasted movement. Professional boxers would probably love to take a Masterclass from her.” Yunjin confirms with a smug smile. It was obvious that she was fond of her handler, and took great pleasure in bragging about Kaeun’s many feats.

 

“NEXT! Lee Saerom! It’s your turn!” Kaeun yells, continuing the protégé selection process from earlier.

 

A beautiful girl with shoulder-length hair steps up to Kaeun, understandably nervous after witnessing what the Reaper was capable of when she’s giving her 100%. Fortunately for Saerom though, Kaeun wasn’t giving her anywhere near that. In fact, it was almost as if the information Sakura had been supplied with earlier was being put on display, with Kaeun’s movements being noticeably more sluggish than before.

 

Saerom to her credit took notice of this, stepping into Kaeun’s personal space with considerable bravery to land a flurry of precise attacks and strikes that Kaeun easily deflected, but a particularly stronger slash caught an exhausted Kaeun off guard, and the Reaper’s slackened grip allowed the young soldier to knock the knife right out of Kaeun’s hand.

 

The Reaper stood there unarmed, while a panting Saerom pointed her knife directly towards Kaeun’s chest. With a weary smile, Kaeun raises her hands up in surrender.

 

“Oho~” Eunbi sang, watching the scene before her unfold.

 

“Looks like Hyewon-unnie’s got a new protégé.” Yunjin confirms and Hyewon hums in delight, clapping her hands rapidly only to stop abruptly when Kaeun roundhouse kicks Saerom straight into unconsciousness from out of nowhere.

 

“Oi KAEUN-UNNIE! THAT’S MY NEW PROTÉGÉ YOU’RE BULLYING!”

 

 

**************************

 

The Red Roses headquarter’s halls have become something completely familiar to Sakura, having been stuck in this building for several weeks now. Even her cat, Maru-chan, was allowed free reign of the hallways and has made himself very comfortable with the expensive furniture and priceless antiquities lining the walls.

 

Sakura has lived alone for so long, that it feels weird to have someone wishing her a good morning everytime she comes down to the dining hall for breakfast. It’s weird, just how comfortable she feels around these criminals and killers. Granted it’s not as if they’re conducting they’re illegal activities in the hallways and in plain sight of her, but Sakura has to remind herself to keep her guard up on occasion. 

 

She’s too comfortable. This wasn’t a permanent set up.

 

Her best friends, Yuri and Yena would text her every single day to ask how she was holding up. They don’t know the truth of course. As far as they know, Sakura’s decided to go on an extended vacation to “find herself”, although Sakura didn’t really have an alibi at the ready when they inquired how she was funding said vacation.

 

She chalked it up to savings

 

Yena and Yuri both knew she didn’t have any, but they did not push the subject. They just reminded her to be safe, and to text them if she ever needed anything.

 

Saints, the both of them.

 

It was Valentines day, and instead of spending time with each other they decided to take an hour to give her a video call. It helped that she was currently staying in a hotel room, so that did wonders in selling her little white lie. Sakura found it hard to fall asleep that night, for one reason or another. Maybe it’s because her calm and cute conversations about classes and movies juxtaposed horribly with her current situation. Two days ago she had just watched two Enforcers nearly tear each other to shreds just to entertain their boss.

 

It’s 4am, on a Tuesday, and Sakura has developed the earliest stages of identity crisis.

 

She leaves her room, out of boredom more than anything. There was a common area down the hall with a fully-stocked pantry and a kitchenette. In the day, it would be filled with laughter and life. Wonyoung playing tag with Yujin like the kids that their age would suggest they were, while Minju would watch on like a careful mother making sure none of them hurt themselves.

 

At 4am though, there was only silence except for the sound of....running water?

 

Sakura rounds the corner, and sees Kaeun there by the sink. A wet rag in her hand as she cleans up her arms and neck. It was weird seeing Kaeun down here. Her quarters were in the luxury suites a few floors up, and she could definitely do her washing up in her own bathroom but the sight of the Reaper was not unwelcome.

 

The Reaper doesn’t seem to have noticed her yet, so Sakura takes the opportunity to just...observe Kaeun as she does Kaeun things. The light of the moon made it’s way into the common area through the large windows lining the walls, making Kaeun look absolutely ethereal as the moonlight washes over her. Like a Goddess. Sakura’s heart skips a beat as Kaeun’s toned back, rippling muscles visibly apparent even through her satin shirt, moves and undulates as the Reaper scrubs away at her skin with that wet rag.

 

Kaeun was in her Red Roses uniform, Sakura only now realises, meaning the older woman had just gotten done with a mission. At 4 am. Was there even such a thing as working overtime in this business?

 

“It’s rude to stare, Sakura.”

 

The girl in question nearly jumps in shock as Kaeun addresses her without even turning back.

 

“How did you know it was me?”

 

“Footsteps.” Kaeun replies simply.

 

“Do I walk differently from everyone else?”

 

The Reaper hums, turning to look at Sakura and the latter sees the fatigue and exhaustion in those grey eyes. There were flecks of blood spattered across Kaeun’s cheeks and neck, and Sakura realises that Kaeun was using that rag to clean off as much blood as she could.

 

“Long night?” Sakura inquires, and Kaeun sighs wearily. 

 

“Extremely.”

 

Kaeun begins to her shirt for no apparent reason other than to torment Sakura and the Japanese girl stands frozen in place, eyes following those lithe fingers as they make their way down the red satin. Kaeun shrugs out of the shirt, and the dim lighting makes Kaeun’s already chiseled abs look as if they were carved from marble. Sakura swallows, blushing as a topless Lee Kaeun stands before her in nothing but a pair of slacks and dainty black lace. 

 

Kaeun begins running the wet rag across her stomach, cleaning up the blood that’s managed to seep through the shirt and contaminate holy territory. Sakura’s mouth goes dry and she stares transfixed at the rag’s journey along perfect abs and the various scars adorning Lee Kaeun’s marvelous body. Would Kaeun mind if Sakura volunteered to do the job for her? Heck Sakura wouldn’t even NEED the rag to do the cleaning. Good God this was an image that she will preserve in the deepest, darkest reaches of her brain only to be revisited during one of those nights. 

 

“Is there any blood on my back?”

 

“Huh?” Sakura asks dumbly, brain having already gone into the gutter and not functioning properly.

 

“My back. Is there blood on it?”

 

Sakura stares, and nearly cries as the muscular back she had been admiring earlier was presented to her in all it’s unclothed glory. For someone so committed to preserving Sakura’s wellbeing, the Reaper was quite hellbent on killing the poor girl.

 

“Y-Yeah. There’s some.”

 

Kaeun sighs, shrugging and slinging her shirt over her shoulder.

 

“Shower it is then.”

 

Sakura didn’t want Kaeun to leave, but she had no reason to make the Reaper stay so she stepped aside as Kaeun dragged her obviously fatigued body off towards the elevators.

 

A few minutes later, Sakura found herself in the common room by herself, wishing that she had said something to keep Kaeun there with her even for a minute longer.

 

 

As luck may have it, Sakura was fortunate enough to be afforded a second chance. 

 

Or Sakura would like to think it was luck. She kinda liked the idea of somebody upstairs looking out for her. 

 

Instead of returning to her room, Sakura had decided to turn the TV on in the common area and flip through some channels for a few minutes. Halfway through a show about celebrity houses, the sound of footsteps echo back down the hallway and in walks Lee Kaeun, towel on her head with her hair still damp and wearing a matching set of giraffe-printed pyjamas.

 

It was such a contrasting image from the one Kaeun left earlier, covered in blood and all manner of questionable fluids. 

 

This Kaeun looked...fluffy, for lack of a better word. She looked sleepy and tired, and her comfortable looking pyjamas made her look like a child. Sakura really, really wanted to reach out and pull the woman down onto the couch so that she could cuddle her to death, but she is reminded of what violence Kaeun is capable of and thinks better of the idea.

 

“What is it?” Kaeun asks, catching Sakura staring at her.

 

“N-Nothing.”

 

“Nothing, except....?”

 

Sakura hesitated for a moment before answering, but the pointed stare Kaeun was giving her indicated that the Reaper was too exhausted to patiently wait for a response. 

 

Honesty was appreciated in the mafia, was it not?

 

“You just...don’t look like a killer when you’re like this.”

 

Kaeun blinked, before snorting in amusement and flopping down onto the empty space next to Sakura. She looked as if she was about ready to fall asleep the moment her had made contact with the couch, making Sakura wonder why was she out here and not in her room getting ready for bed?

 

“Everyone is capable of being a killer, Sakura. Even killers wear pyjamas.” Kaeun replied lazily, and Sakura decides she likes this side of Kaeun. It was vulnerable and oddly human.

 

“How did you get involved in this? How did you become a killer?” Sakura finds herself asking. Normally she would be hesitant to be so direct, but perhaps Kaeun letting her guard down emboldened the cherry blossom somewhat.

 

Kaeun stays silent initially, and for a moment Sakura had thought the woman had fallen asleep. Her eyes were closed and she seemed to have sunken into the plush couch cushions.

 

“...I owe the family. They rescued me when I was young, trained me to be the person I am today. It’s all I know how to do.” 

 

Sakura nods in understanding, although she belatedly realises that there was no way Kaeun saw it with her eyes closed. 

 

“I figure this business doesn’t give you many opportunities to make friends.” Sakura assumes, and Kaeun laughs lightly at her words. Light and airy, Sakura could probably get used to the sound.

 

“It doesn’t.” Kaeun lazily shakes her head. “I don’t have anyone outside of the organization.”

 

“Don’t you ever get lonely?”

 

“Not really. I have family.”

 

Sakura hums. The TV having been long forgotten by both of them.

 

Kaeun opens her eyes and turns to Sakura, beautiful grey eyes catching what little moonlight that managed to seep in through the windows, turning them into dancing stars. Gosh Lee Kaeun was gorgeous. Sakura has never ever seen anyone so...

 

So damn beautiful.

 

“What about you? Do you ever get lonely?” Kaeun asks, and Sakura shakes her head no.

 

“I have friends.”

 

Kaeun nods absentmindedly, looking as if she was inches away from falling asleep. “That’s good.”

 

What a pair the two of them made. Both orphans, one with friends in place of family members, while the other found solace in a crime family but had no friends. A weird matchup. Despite everything, the similarities between the both of them were hard to ignore.

 

“That thing you said...about anyone being capable of killing...do you think that applies to me as well?”

 

Something flashes within Kaeun’s eyes. An emotion that passed too quickly for Sakura to put a name to. The Reaper looked more alert, as if Sakura’s question had managed to snatch away the sleep that was starting to claim the former. “Do you have somebody that you would like to kill, Sakura?”

 

“No! No I—I was just wondering. Y’know? All of you...you do it so easily. We have pretty similar stories, only difference is you were picked up by a crime family, whereas I was picked up by my uncle. Given the circumstance, could I have become....you?”

 

Surprisingly, Kaeun’s lips stretch into a soft smile. Her right hand, which Sakura had not realised was too close to touching hers, had closed the distance so that she was now rubbing slow, reassuring circles on the back of Sakura’s left hand. It was an affectionate gesture. One that Sakura had not been expecting from Kaeun of all people.

 

“You have a warm heart, Sakura. Not tainted by anything at all. It would be best if you don’t think about such things.”

 

Sakura nodded slowly, brain moving at a snail’s pace with her attention being focused solely on the soft shapes Kaeun was drawing on the back of her hand. 

 

“...Could you promise me one thing, Sakura?”

 

Sakura looks up, surprised by the sudden request. Kaeun’s voice was low and soft, as if she was afraid of waking up the neighbours. As if everything she had to say was a secret meant only for Sakura’s ears.

 

“What is it?” Sakura found herself replying in similar volume. 

 

“Promise me...Promise me you’ll never join the Red Roses?”

 

Sakura would have laughed. What an absurd request! Why would Sakura—why would she become—there was no way she could—

 

....But she sees the sincerity in Kaeun’s eyes. The fear that intermingled with the grey, the honesty they were trying to convey...

 

“...I wasn’t going to.” Sakura denies, although she couldn’t be 100% sure if that was true.

 

“Would you humour me by promising anyways?”

 

This meant a lot to Kaeun. For Kaeun to ask this of her, she must know something that Sakura herself has yet to realise. Has she been attending those practice sessions with too much curiosity in her eyes? Kaeun has somehow seen right through her. She knows Sakura better than the latter knew herself.

 

Still, if a promise meant that much to Kaeun, then promise she shall. She never really wanted to join the Red Roses anyways. She was just playfully encouraging the seed of curiosity that had been growing in her over the past two weeks.

 

“I promise.”

 

Kaeun smiles a toothy smile, and whether or not she had made a promise that she would later regret, it didn’t matter because she had made Kaeun happy with just one innocent promise. 

 

She intends to keep that smile, thus the promise shall be kept as well.

 

“Thank you, Sakura.”

 

“Will I be free to just leave this place after all this is done?”

 

Kaeun looked momentarily surprised by the question. “Of course.”

 

“Are you sure about that?” Sakura asks, wondering for the life of her how life was going to return to normal after all this. They wouldn’t just...let her go, would they? That was too nice of a gesture for a noted crime family.

 

“You’ll be free. Eunbi owes me that much, at least.”

 

Sakura giggles at Kaeun’s reassurance. “You’re doing a lot for someone you barely know.”

 

Kaeun shrugs. “I wouldn’t say that. I did read your file, after all.”

 

“Yeah...but, do you know me, or do you know me?”

 

Kaeun hums, as if she was deeply regarding the question. Sakura realises that for the past few minutes the Reaper hadn’t taken her eyes off of her for even a second. Kaeun was watching her intently, so earnestly giving attention to Sakura as the latter talked.

 

“Tell me about yourself then. In your words. Let me know more about Miyawaki Sakura.” Kaeun requested, and again she was taken aback. She did not expect for Kaeun to play along with her.

 

Her mind momentarily drew a blank. For a moment she wracked her brain for every cool factoid about herself she could use to impress Kaeun but sadly, she couldn’t really think of anything. There was nothing about her that screamed “hey pay attention to me I can be quite cool if I tried hard enough”.

 

She was just plain ol’ Miyawaki Sakura.

 

“Well...I have a cat.”

 

Sakura tries. Maru-chan was probably sound asleep in her room, curled up on the bed like the regal animal he undoubtedly thinks he is.

 

“Mmhmm. I’m aware. Fat little git.” Kaeun smiles, gesturing for Sakura to continue.

 

“I’ve got like...a handful of close friends, that I won’t name right now because you still scare me and that is pretty revealing information.”

 

Kaeun laughs, and it was infectious enough to coax Sakura into laughing with her. “That’s fair. Anything else?”

 

Sakura wracked her brain. She was running out of positive things to say about herself at an alarming rate. It’s funny how much you discover about yourself when you’re asked to talk about it.

 

“I’m pretty good at video games....?” Sakura tries, grasping at straws at this point.

 

Kaeun bites her lip, furrowing her eyebrows as she contemplates for a moment. “I’ve never played a videogame.” Kaeun admits after a pause, and Sakura nearly falls off the couch in disbelief.

 

“Really? Never? You’ve got to be pulling my leg. Not even Super Mario?!”

 

Kaeun laughed again, lightning quick reflexes moving to try and catch Sakura as she saw the overzealous girl nearly toppling off her seat. “Nope. Never played a Mario, whether he be super or average. And if I was pulling your leg Sakura, you would be missing a leg right now.”

 

“Not even anything on your phone? Flappy Bird? Snakes? That 3D Pinball game on Windows that you only play when you can’t access the internet...?” Sakura refuses to believe that there was anyone living in a metropolitan city like Gwangju that hasn’t even once touched a form of video game at one point in time.

 

“I learned how to clean a gun when I was only 8 years old, Sakura. My whole life is like a video game.” Kaeun says pointedly, and that’s when Sakura accepts the fact. There was no point for Kaeun to lie about this after all.

 

“...Not a fun one.” Sakura mutters, but of course Kaeun and her superhuman bat-hearing caught it.

 

“That’s pretty subjective, isn’t it? What’s fun and what isn’t.”

 

Sakura had to admit there was some truth to that, but seriously...living a life with no video games? It just seemed...sad. Like, this woman was taken away at such a young age she never really lived out her youth. The world fell on her shoulders at the age of 5.

 

“Y’know...I could be your friend.”

 

Kaeun perks up at that. The corners of her lips tugged into an even wider smile and it was only then that Sakura realised that the Reaper had been smiling all throughout their conversation. “Yeah? And you’re okay with being friends with a killer like me?”

 

“Well, why not? I could introduce you to the others and we could like...talk about random stuff together. Movies and crushes maybe?”

 

“I don’t think I would even know where to begin contributing to that kind of conversation.”

 

“We’ll get you there! Baby steps.” Sakura pumped her fist as a show of determination, and Kaeun laughed brightly at the former’s dorkiness.

 

It lasted for a brief minute, before something catches Kaeun’s eye and the vibrant laughter from earlier dulls into something that lacked the life it once held. Confused at the sudden change in mood, Sakura was about to ask about it when Kaeun reaches out and gently cups Sakura’s face.

 

The intimate gesture made all the blood in Sakura’s body rush to her cheeks, blushing bright crimson as Kaeun’s thumb gently caressed her face. What brought this on? Does Kaeun know just what she is doing to the poor girl?

 

“I can’t believe I allowed this to happen to you.”

 

Kaeun sounded sad. 

 

It took Sakura a moment to figure out that the taller woman was actually tracing the scars that served as the souvenirs she brought back from her brief encounter with Chaeyeon. One on her cheek and one on her lip. Healed, but not quite. Sakura would probably be carrying these scars with her for the rest of her life, if not physically then psychologically. Kaeun shouldn’t feel responsible for this though. After all if the Reaper had not saved her that night, she probably wouldn’t even be here tonight.

 

“I-It wasn’t your fault! It was Chaeyeon’s! Don’t blame yourself!” Sakura tries, but Kaeun shakes her head.

 

It was obvious that Kaeun herself was still carrying a significant amount of baggage from that night as well. The guilt of getting someone as innocent as Sakura involved...these scars were a reminder that Kaeun had been irresponsible. Careless. 

 

This woman shoulders too many burdens. Sakura didn’t want to be another weight for Kaeun to carry with her. She wanted to be a source of strength. She wanted to tell Kaeun that sometimes it was okay to be weak, but...but oh God Kaeun looked so beautiful every single word that Sakura had on the tip of her tongue melts away into a sigh.

 

“Your skin is so soft...” Kaeun breathes, almost disbelieving as she continued to caress Sakura’s cheek. Sakura found herself nuzzling Kaeun’s palm, burying her face deeper into the touch.

 

Kaeun’s thumb ventures lower, until it lightly grazes Sakura’s lips and the Reaper stills completely, as if suddenly aware of what she was doing. Sakura didn’t want her to stop though. Sakura didn’t want Kaeun to pull away.

 

Her fears prove to be misplaced as instead of pulling away, Kaeun leans in closer, drawing Sakura in as well. She could feel warm breath fan against her skin, and the smell of Kaeun’s shampoo envelopes her senses until everything was Kaeun. In this world only Kaeun existed. Everything she breathed in was Lee Kaeun.

 

Sakura’s eyes flutter closed, and as she feels soft lips finally press against hers she was no longer on this planet. She was somewhere far away. Far above every single heartache and problem this world has given her. The only thing that mattered was just how soft Kaeun’s lips felt against her own. Just how impossibly, perfectly, plump they were and how it was everything she’s ever needed in her life and more. Her heart wouldn’t stop beating out of her chest and her head was spinning, almost as if Kaeun’s kiss was simultaneously breathing life into her and taking it away at the same time. It was perfect. Kaeun was perfec—

 

“Well gooooood morning to you two~”

 

With a startled yelp Sakura jumps away, backing off to see Ahn Yujin standing right in front of them, smiling like the cat that got the cream.

 

“Good morning AhnYu.” Kaeun replied with an air of deceptive calmness, as if she hadn’t just been caught kissing the Red Roses’ latest houseguest red-handed.

 

“Am I....” Yujin paused, wiggling her eyebrows knowingly while wearing a -eating grin on her face. “....interrupting something?”

 

“Why, yes you are. A pleasant conversation.” Kaeun replied again, nonchalantly wiping her lips with the back of her hand.

 

Sakura however, wasn’t quite as good as Kaeun was at keeping a decent composure.

 

“Your timing is waaay off Yujin!”

 

“She’s never been the brightest amongst the Red Roses Sakura. You can’t get too angry at her.”

 

“She was—we were OBVIOUSLY busy! Only an idiot would interrupt two people who are engaged in such deep conversation!”

 

“I admit the topic of our conversation was very...stimulating. Far too intelligent for the likes of AhnYu to understand.”

 

“A ! Ahn Yujin you are a dumb—“

 

“—Okay okay I get it! Gang up on the young gangster now why don’t you? Fineee I know when I’m not wanted~” Yujin pretended to sulk, but the proud, mischievous grin she still wore betrayed her little act. 

 

Yujin was a little . 

 

As Yujin disappeared around the corner (probably to head towards the PA system to announce her discovery to the rest of the building), the two left on the couch in the common area sat in awkward silence. The sun has already started to rise through the windows outside, washing the both of them in an orange hue.

 

“Do you...want to grab a bite to eat? Or something?” Kaeun was the first to break the silence, scratching her cheek just to have something to do with her hands. 

 

“Oh...like, outside?” 

 

Kaeun laughed weakly, realising that eating outside would be counterproductive to her efforts of keeping Sakura hidden away from the rest of the world. “That won’t do, would it? I think we have some cereal in the pantry....?”

 

Sakura chances a glance at Kaeun, and is delighted to see the blush colouring the Reaper’s cheeks. It was comforting to know that she wasn’t the only one who was feeling this uncomfortably awkward.

 

She didn’t want cereal. She really just wanted to get back to what they were doing before Yujin decided to stick her stupid nose in. But as the sounds of movement start to echo down the halls, signs that the annoying young gangster from earlier has succeeded in waking up their entire building with the news of what she had caught them both doing, Sakura decides that she didn’t need an audience for the second time they were to kiss.

 

“Cereal would be lovely, unnie.”

 

 

**********************************

 

Kaeun doesn’t kiss her again.

 

Heck, it was almost as if the kiss never even happened in the first place.

 

Did Sakura fall asleep on the couch that night and dreamt up the whole thing? No, that wasn’t possible. Yujin herself was a constant reminder that the kiss had happened. The young soldier had shown signs of developing a favourite pastime, one that involved teasing both Sakura and Kaeun to hell and back but the hobby was quickly quelled by an annoyed Reaper.

 

Kaeun had singled Yujin out as a sparring partner the afternoon after the kiss, and had used that session as an excuse to almost literally beat the ever-living daylights out of the 17-year old.

 

Needless to say, the kiss was never brought up again. Not by Yujin, anyone else Yujin might have told, or even by Kaeun herself.

 

Much to Sakura’s dismay, of course. She definitely wouldn’t have minded if Kaeun were to bring up the topic again. Heck, she would welcome it. It’s been 3 days since the incident took place and Sakura has yet to even bump into the Reaper in the halls, let alone have the opportunity to talk to said Reaper about it.

 

Did Kaeun regret it? Was she a bad kisser? It had been brief, but Sakura still gets butterflies in her stomach and feels her knees get wobbly just remembering how soft Kaeun’s lips were. Sakura sighed a dreamy sigh. She couldn’t believe she’s kissed Kaeun. What country did she save in her past life, Sakura wonders? Was she—

 

“—Earth to Sakura. Hello?”

 

Sakura nearly yelped when she was brought crashing back into the present courtesy of Hitomi kicking her stiffly in the shin. With a start Sakura realises she had been daydreaming of Kaeun again.

 

Eunbi, the well-respected and feared leader of the Red Roses’ Gwangju branch, who governed over the entire building Sakura was currently residing in did NOT look amused with Sakura spacing out and daydreaming while talking to her, but whatever the case she allowed the transgression to slide this time.

 

“How has your stay with us been?”

 

Eunbi inquired, hands folded neatly on the table emulating the very picture of a poised, powerful young woman.

 

“It’s...been pleasant. Your people have been very accommodating Ma’am.” By accommodating, Sakura is again reminded of the kiss she shared with Kaeun and her face started heating up all over again.

 

Does Eunbi know? Of course Eunbi must know. Wasn’t gathering information one of the things that Eunbi prioritises in this organisation? Sakura doubts there was anything that happens in this building that Eunbi did not know about.

 

“Good. Good. It’s important to me, y’know. That our guest be treated right. We’re a crime family, not a bunch of savages.” Eunbi laughs lightly at her own lighthearted joke, and Sakura joins in weakly.

 

“It doesn’t really feel like a gang sometimes. Everything is so clean and tidy.”

 

“We’re not a bunch of thugs, Sakura! We are professionals. There is a certain standard of dignity and class that must be maintained.” Eunbi chastises, seeing Sakura shrink in her seat as she succumbs to the leader’s lectures. “Also I’m guessing you didn’t notice Nako snorting coke during breakfast.”

 

“N-No I didn’t.” Sakura finds herself shaking her head with wide eyes. To be completely honest Sakura probably wouldn’t be able to recognise how looks like even if the drug miraculously fell into her lap one day.

 

“Nasty habit. Oh well. It helps kill her conscience before she kills people, so can’t exactly stop her on that front. Oh—speaking of killing people...”

 

Eunbi trails off, and Sakura swallows thickly. What an ominous place to trail off. The Japanese girl had absolutely no idea where Eunbi was planning to go with that sentence.

 

Sakura sees the mischievous smirk on the leader’s face, and she realises that Eunbi knows it too. Eunbi knows just how scared of her Sakura was. The leader was likely amused by the Japanese girl, toying with her nerves for her own amusement.

 

“...You’re free to go.”

 

Sakura blinks, sees the mischievous smile still being worn proudly on Eunbi’s face, and has to make sure.

 

“....Really?”

 

“Yeah. Kaeun eliminated the last of the Black Dahlia this morning. Can you believe that? An entire crime family, wiped off the face of the earth in as little as two weeks! That girl never ceases to amaze me!”

 

Wow.

 

Kaeun...actually did it. No wonder Sakura hasn’t been seeing the Reaper around. It was...rather unsettling, the price she had to pay for her own freedom. All those lives taken away just so that she could live. What a waste.

 

Such a waste. The blood on Kaeun’s hands should be shared with Sakura herself, although it really wasn’t her fault.

 

She just finds it...slightly unjust that she shoulders none of the burden that Kaeun has to. She was able to live with none of the responsibilities that comes with an entire crime family being wiped out of existence.

 

“How would you like to join us?”

 

The question drags Sakura back to reality for the second time in this one meeting. 

 

“I’m s-sorry?” Sakura manages to sputter, hoping that she had just misheard the question althought the chances of that happening were about as possible as Hyewon skipping breakfast.

 

Eunbi’s knowing smile only continued to grow, as if expecting Sakura to meet the question with this exact level of disbelief.

 

“Join us. Become a part of the Red Roses. You’re studying in a university right now, but what happens after? Are you going to get a job? Are you going to get a 9 to 5 and slave away for the rest of your life? Join us, and we’ll pay you more in a week than you’ll earn in a year of working outside.”

 

Sakura does not doubt that. She has to admit that Eunbi’s spiel was very convincing, and it didn’t help that the leader herself was probably charismatic enough to sell water to the ocean. She would be lying if the two weeks she’s spent here with the Red Roses did not make her curious. 

 

It was nice. To feel accepted by a family. To not feel so alone in her home. A life of crime though...was Sakura up for that? She was the type of person to apologize when she accidentally bumped into the mannequins whilst shopping. She admits that all she’s seen so far of the Red Roses were the pretty, glamorous parts of it. She knows there was a much darker side being kept hidden from her. Would she dare venture into that darkness?

 

“You have a warm heart, Sakura. Not tainted by anything at all.”

 

“I...I’m sorry, I’ll have to humbly refuse your offer.” Sakura finds herself coming to a decision surprisingly quickly.

 

Maybe Kaeun knew that this invitation would be extended to her. Maybe that’s why the Reaper made her promise.

 

Nobody refuses a Kwon.”

 

A cold chill ran down Sakura’s spine, and the hairs on her arm stood on end upon hearing the transformation in Eunbi’s voice. Sakura looked up at Eunbi and suddenly she was reminded of that time she saw Kaeun transform into her Reaper persona to beat Nako. Such...cold intimidation. Sakura was trembling in her seat, teeth nearly chattering as a result of the sheer murderous aura Eunbi was emitting.

 

She was going to die.

 

Eunbi was going to kill her.

 

This was the future heir to the Red Roses Empire. This was the woman who commands the three Enforcers, and wields the Reaper’s scythe as a weapon. Sakura couldn’t even breathe, let alone run away. This was the side of Eunbi that Sakura always suspected existed, but she was unfortunate enough to finally be introduced to.

 

“Well, that’s too bad then.”

 

And as suddenly as it came, all the murderous intention Eunbi was releasing dispersed into thin air, disappearing completely at the drop of a hat. Sakura tried to blink away the tears welling up in the corners of her eyes, catching her breath as she remembered how to pass oxygen through her lungs again. Her entire body seemed to shut down in fear as a result of Eunbi’s intimidation.

 

“I guess exceptions can be made this one time eh, little cherry blossom? Can’t afford to have Kaeun angry at me. That would be terrible for business. She’s already requested for me not to try and recruit you.”

 

Eunbi laughs, while Sakura is still trying to stop her hands from shaking from that terrible, terrible aura the leader released earlier. The danger has now passed. It was all clear now, although undoubtedly a few years must have been shaven off Sakura’s lifespan.

 

“Then could you do me a favour, Sakura?”

 

Eunbi asks, and Sakura really feels as if it was more of a command than a request. The latter really doesn’t feel as if she’s been given much room to refuse.

 

“Y-Yes?” Sakura replies the obvious answer anyways, just to appease Eunbi if anything. She just hoped the request wasn’t anything too outrageous or unreasonable.

 

“Take care of Kaeun.”

 

Oh. 

 

That was...unexpected.

 

“...I beg your pardon?”

 

Eunbi scratches the back of her head, looking questionably sheepish for some reason. 

 

“Take care of her. Help her see the world. She’s 25 for God’s sake and she doesn’t know how public transportation works! She’s so hopeless sometimes, but it isn’t really her fault. The family raised a killer. A weapon, but she’s more than that to me.”

 

The leader paused, allowing her frustrations with Kaeun to surface but there was a soft smile on her face. The least threatening one Sakura has seen the leader wear yet.

 

“I love Kaeun. She’s a sister to me, but she’s never met anyone outside of the family that she didn’t hate or had to kill. Some normalcy in her life might be good.” Eunbi finished, and paused to allow her words to sink into Sakura’s brain and make some sense amongst her mess of jumbled thoughts.

 

“I’m the normalcy?” Sakura tries to confirm, hoping she was following along properly.

 

“Yes you are. You’re the normal-est. maybe I’ll send her out to you one of these days and the two of you could just...hang out or something. Like two normal women in their 20’s.”

 

Hanging out...with Kaeun?

 

That didn’t seem half bad.

 

That might even be downright pleasant.

 

“I can do that.” Sakura says, trying to not seem too eager at the prospect of spending more time with Kaeun but Eunbi probably saw through the facade if the bright, satisfied grin the leader was currently wearing was any indication.

 

“Perfect.”

 

There was a moment of silence, where Sakura just stared at a grinning Eunbi waiting for the latter to say something or follow up with more instructions but none came. Behind Eunbi, Hitomi started pointedly gesturing to the door with her head and Sakura eventually got the hint.

 

“If that is all, I think I’ll take my leave now, Ma’am. Thank you once again for the gracious hospitality and for everything. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you.”

 

Sakura stood up, and gave Eunbi the deepest 90 degree bow she could without slamming her head against the table separating her and the leader. She hears Eunbi laugh merrily, making Sakura question the duality of the leader’s personality.

 

“We’ll miss having you around, twerp!” Eunbi chirps, reaching out to tousle Sakura’s hair before shooing the girl out of the office with a dignified wave of the hand.

 

 

*********************************

 

“You’re leaving?”

 

Sakura pauses outside her room door, her suitcase in one hand and Maru-chan’s carrier case in the other. 

 

Kaeun stood in the hallway, wearing her Red Roses uniform and looking absolutely dashing. The Reaper’s trusted silver gun in it’s holster by her hip, the shiny metallic surface a perfect match to the silky, red satin of Kaeun’s shirt.

 

“Yeah. Eunbi-nim said I’m free to go.” Sakura tried to sound casual. Tried to sound like she wouldn’t miss this place, but it was hard. 

 

She’ll miss this place a whole lot. She’ll miss the food, the noise....

 

...The people.

 

“That’s...great.” Kaeun sounded as if she was struggling herself. The Reaper sounded unsure, making Sakura wonder if “great” was the taller woman’s first choice of words.

 

She wonders how long Kaeun had been waiting outside her door. Had she even been waiting? Was it a coincidence, that she happened to leave her room the exact same time Kaeun walked pass?

 

Why was Kaeun even on this floor anyways? Again, there was absolutely no reason for the Reaper to be here. This was the residential floor for the common soldiers and capos. The Enforcers and Protégés had their own floors.

 

“Are you going out to kill people again?” Sakura asked, in a weak attempt to extend the conversation and spend more time with Kaeun in her space. Empty conversations have never been her strong suit.

 

“That’s a Reaper’s job, isn’t it?” Kaeun replied, sounding almost absentminded.

 

This was the first conversation she’s had with Kaeun ever since they kissed a few days ago. Would Kaeun bring it up? Would she get mad if Sakura did?

 

“I’ll...see you around then?” Sakura ends up saying instead.

 

She didn’t have the guts. She’s never been good at bringing up sensitive topics. She’s never been good at expressing matters of the heart.

 

Of course, nobody has ever mattered in her heart as much as Kaeun currently does.

 

The conversation died with the loudest silence Sakura has ever heard, and she didn’t know how to pick it back up.

 

What even was she to Kaeun? Why did the woman even kiss her that morning? Was it because it was post-Valentines day? Was the Reaper just lonely that day? 

 

“C’mon. I’ll drop you off.”

 

Sakura looks up, and feels Maru-chan’s carrier being softly yanked from her grasp. The cat gives an approving meow, as if to wake Sakura up from the trance she was currently in. Kaeun begins walking, but turns around with a questioning stare when she realises that Sakura still hadn’t moved.

 

“Don’t you have a mission to complete? Shouldn’t you be in a rush?” Sakura questions, wondering what was Kaeun’s motive.

 

The Reaper just shrugs in reply.

 

“Your house is on the way.” 

 

Somehow Sakura highly doubts that, but she takes it as it is. She takes it as Kaeun herself wanting to spend more time with her, and she takes it as an excuse to hold hope in her heart.

 

“Come, Sakura.”

 

Kaeun’s empty hand extends towards her, and Sakura takes a mental picture of the gentle smile Kaeun was currently wearing. Her heart leaps out of her chest as her legs finally move to catch up to Kaeun, taking the latter’s hand in her own as they walk towards the elevators.

 

It was a return to normalcy. A return to her mundane life, but Kaeun’s hold on her hand was firm and warm. 

 

Maybe she’s bringing a piece of the extraordinary back with her after all.

 

 

 

________________________________________________

 

Hello! Apologies for the extreme delay of this chapter! Work happened to pick up, and as you can tell this is probably one of the longest chapters in this fic so far.

 

It would be nice to end the fic here, no? Hahaha 

 

Just kidding. It’s been properly planned out. We’re only at the halfway point! The fic is scheduled to have....11 Chapters! So it won’t end here!

 

Although...I’m kinda sad to see the response for this fic is steadily dropping...Is it due to my infrequent updates? It’s a bit sad, but I’ll work to improve myself and make it better! 

 

Now, on to this chapter!

 

How was the fight scene guys? I uhh...really didn’t have any reason to add that whole thing in there to be honest. That was probably the reason why it took so long to update this chapter. I just REALLY wanted to show off what the Enforcers could do. Heck I would’ve thrown Hyewon into the equation as well if I was even a liiiitle bit more confident in my ability to write fight scenes involving more than two people. It’s a learning process though, and you’re here watching me learn!

 

I also wanted to show Nako and Kaeun’s contrasting fighting style. One was all speed while the other was all power blows. Just to get it out of the way; yes Hyewon is faster than both Nako and Kaeun. Why is that? Well because the real Hyewon loves to go Gear Second before running around, so this is like an homage to that.

 

Another thing that’s changed in this chapter from draft to publishing: Kaeun and Sakura weren’t supposed to kiss yet. It was supposed to be a slow burn, culminating in much later in the fic but a combination of my own impatience, the right moment, and some declining viewership made me decide for the kiss to happen a little bit earlier. It doesn’t really change much, it’s just that there should have been a tiny bit more buildup to it. I think it turned out aite though. What do you think?

 

In the original draft, AhnYu was supposed to interrupt them right before the kiss, making the eventual kiss feel all the more satisfying. I also realised I made Kaeun strip twice in this one chapter. Huh. It was accidental I swear!

 

I’m not sure when the next update will come, to be completely honest. Will try to get it out before I travel to Seoul for a conference in the middle of March.

 

A huge thank you to the people who’ve upvoted the last chapter! Y’all are champions! It means SO MUCH to me! Thanks to mrkyono, Balalala819, Hanlin9, and bubbleblast!

 

Please comment and let me know what you think of the story so far. Interaction means the world to me! It’s the reason why I do this hahaha



Also: Update to the kpop collection:


Managed to hunt down all 15 covers for IZ*ONE's Japanese album! Success!

 

Till next time!