Here she was.

A Christmas Dinner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Oh no, this was bad. This was very, very bad. 

Joohyun had stalked halfway down their neighborhood street before she realized, in complete horror, that she had forgotten her phone on her bedside table. This couldn't be, she rubbed her temples and gritted her jaw tightly. On any other day this would have been perfectly fine, she thought, just why was it today?

No, it wasn't technically her fault. It was her fault. Joohyun had been perfectly sane and in a good state of mind as she ambled out of her bedroom. But she had to be in the kitchen. She was standing there doing something that Joohyun can't even begin to recall, but she had looked so unfairly attractive. It was utterly unreasonable and spiteful of the world that someone looked that good face without makeup, hair in a mess, and lips curled in a sleepy smile.

Ugh. That sleepy smile made her chest tighten and the insides of her stomach lurch. Which made no sense considering that had happened approximately ten minutes ago. And what had she done at the sight of such an angelic and unfairly attractive woman? She completely dismissed her. Yeah, she was feeling horrible about that to say the least.

And now to add to the damage and to the fact that the snowy weather was extremely unbearable, she had forgotten her phone. No, she hadn't forgotten, that woman made her forget it. That woman and her inconsiderate, troublesome, breathtaking, sleepy smile. It forced only one thought into Joohyun's head: to taste that smile.

So before she acted on instinct, she snatched her parka off the rack and half-ran out the door before she could hear the loudness of her heart. And here she was, trudging down the snow-piled street, completely lost at which directions pointed to the shop.

Goddamn that jeweler and their custom necklace policy. "That necklace better be worth it," she muttered under her breath as she shoved her hands in her pockets in an effort to keep warm. Unfortunately, she already knew it was going to be. Even the mere thought of seeing that smile when she gave her the gift would send Joohyun back to the jeweler in the heavy snow completely directionless all over again if that meant her thoughts could become reality. That and more is everythiing that Seungwan deserved, after all.

She heard a jovial burst of laughter from the group of kids running up the opposite side of the street and let out a long and heavy sigh, watching the puff of smoke appear in front of . She felt herself shiver against the thick fabric of the parka and retracted her neck even further into her turtleneck to hopefully be warmed up.

A sense of guilt suddenly struck her when she imagined the four younger girls confused and stumped at the fact that she was missing for the day. But then the strongest pang of guilt hit when she recalled the worried look of Seungwan's face before she shut the door. It was more of a look of confusion, but thinking of the way Seungwan would bite down hard on her lower lip, leaving marks, when she was lost in thought and worrying about overwhelmingly detailed scenarios of the worst outcomes to the situation almost made her run back.

She had to trust that Seulgi, Sooyoung, and Yerim were a strong enough force to prevent Seungwan from completely wearing herself down from worry. But Joohyun couldn't wish for anything more than to be the one who was comforting her. In fact, she didn't want to admit she felt something green and possessive take over her when she thought about anyone else comforting and reassuring Seungwan's vulnerabilities other than her, but she surppressed that feeling as best she could.

Squinting her eyes, she looked up at the towering street sign, hopefully searching for clues to where in the world the jeweler could be located. Her instincts told her to take a right when she reached the junction, and she trusted those instincts more than her logical sense of direction, so she made a right turn. Her instincts also told her that she was going to be immeasurably late for the dinner due to her mistake - well, not entirely her mistake -

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter