I miss you; you did so, so well.

A Tribute to Jonghyun

    And once upon a time, the humans loved the sky so much that they called out to it every morning.

    When day would arrive, they would praise the Sun's radiant beauty and energy, but as night fell, so did their admiration.

    It stayed like this for quite some time until a kind-hearted man ventured into their realm. He watched and studied how his peers only ever loved the Sun; their joy and thanks to the ball of fire ringing out through the day. But at night, he examined the ways they'd scurry into their homes; flooding them with light in fear of darkness suffocating them.

    These acts confused the man.

    So in an attempt to connect with those who shut themselves away from the world, he would walk around in the sable atmosphere. Beautiful words met equally pleasing sounds; songs falling from his lips as he traveled. Curious, the humans that had locked themselves away faintly peeked through slits in their windows, but retreated once the man's eyes fell upon their somber faces.

    Their actions did not dismay the man, however, as songs continued to pour from his mouth. Despite humans turning away, the Moon watched from above, pleased with his talents.

    This occurred every night for years.

    But each night, the outcome was the same. Nevertheless, the humble being continued in his attempts to show his peers that darkness was nothing to be frightened by; that it was okay to feel lost.

    He wanted to show them that it was when silence washed over the world, that the shimmering stars above were fully able to showcase their talents. The moon that gleamed weakly was a view of awe, not disdain. Although it may not radiate the same brightness and warmth of the Sun, its soft light was still present.

    The man wanted to prove to the fearful beings that it was okay if their emotions bared their teeth during nightfall. Darkness was normal; feeling blue and helpless was part of what made humans human.

    After countless attempts, the beings began growing slightly more open to the notion that the darkness wasn't so scary. However, despite this newfound glory, they continued to hide. Over time, the man began to grow weary - questioning their nature as well as his own.

    It wasn't until one special night that he began to realize why the humans acted in the manner they did. This night, in particular, was darker than most. The once bright stars were covered by a blanket of clouds; the Moon barely peeking from behind a bundle of wisps.

    In that moment, he felt fear grow within him. The once comforting silence was now eerie; a foreign chill nipping at his flesh and bones. Tilting his head up, he searched for a saving grace, but could not find one. The way the clouds swallowed the Moon caused him to feel a sense of dread, and the longer he stared, the more he began to understand why human beings hated eventide and feared the blackness that swallowed their homes whole.

    Humans doubt what they cannot see.

    During the day, when light flooded their realm and kissed their skin, the warmth invited their souls; wrapping their bodies in its invisible hands. They were able to see the faces of their loved ones and strangers clearly; children cheerfully ran around in lush greenery and bees buzzed softly.

    Simply, humans were able to view the world the best then, or so they believed.

    But as night fell, the darkness dissipated the warmth they had grown accustomed to, and this frightened them. Heavy feelings mixed within their souls as they scurried away to their homes; boarding the door with wood and nail whilst covering windows with long pieces of fabric. Light from within glowed from these areas; a testament to their discomfort.

    In the eyes of the bright eyed man, however, the night was when he believed the world shone the most.

    Stars cascaded the skies as the gentle movements of nightlife crept past in the distance. Invisible breath breathed life into emotions; some felt more strongly than others, but emotion nonetheless. The way the darkness blanketed over the world was, usually, comforting to him.

    But, on this night, he felt lonesome.

    The way silence hushed even the loudest life; transforming their outwardly happiness into the softest of cries. Bodies curling up in cloth, and occasionally other limbs, in desperate attempts to feel the warmth they had experienced when the burning Sun radiated down upon them.

    Usually, there was something about nightfall that felt so alluring.

    But, on this night, he felt lonesome.

    And it was then that realization struck the soft-hearted man: Vulnerability.

    Human beings were afraid of the dark because it awakened and strengthened the helplessness within their souls, and often, emotion petrified them.

    Puzzled, the man began searching for comfort. Insecurity brushed its invisible fingertips across his chest as fear whispered soft-rambles into his ear. His mind swirled as he tried to remind himself that what he felt was normal; continuing his trek.

    Eventually, he found himself before an array of giant mounds. An idea snuck its way into his brain: If he could travel closer to the sky, then maybe the Moon would become more visible. Instantly, he began to climb until he stood upon the highest hill; neck craned upwards as his eyes glimmered.

    Like rain, tears began to slowly kiss his cheeks. His body tensed ever so slightly as he searched for a trace of the silver orb, but to his dismay, the Moon remained hidden to his eyes. Crying out, he began to wail; extending his arms above his head as he plead for deliverance.

    It wasn't until he had dropped to his knees that he heard her speak.

    "Young one,"  her voice soothed, "why do you cry?"

    Sniffling, he ran his hands over his face as he peered up at the sky; explaining to the Moon his fears. He explained that he knew that the emotions he was feeling were normal, but doubt had crept into his soul once she became invisible.

    The man confessed that he thought she had abandoned him, so he climbed up the highest hill he could find in an attempt to reach her.

    The Moon was silent for a moment; watching as the young man continued to shed tears.

    "Young one," she began, "I am always here - whether you see my luminescence or not, I am always with you."

The man listened silently, so she continued, "I have been watching you for quite some time now. I have seen your efforts with comforting those who fear the darkness. I have heard your words and your voice is so pleasing."

    "But you see, young one," the Moon continued, "I would be lying if I said I didn't understand their perturbation. Confusion spreads through their bodies like wildfire and despite how hard I try to brighten the darkness for them, they hide."

    Slowly, the Moon pushed away the ragged linen flowing in the sky, revealing her faint luster. The man in a gasp as he noticed her radiance was not shining as bright as it once had.

    "I created stars and hung them like ornaments to fill this void, but they hide,"her invisible hands pushed away the remainder of the clouds to reveal the millions upon billions of tiny lights the man had admired so much.

    "I reveal myself at night because that is when they rest, but they do not associate me with restoration," her voice saddened, "only isolation."

    "However," the Moon's tone suddenly twisted, "when you came along, I noticed a change within the humans. You sang songs and spoke words so beautiful that they peeked at you through curious blinds. You comforted them and made it known that it is okay to feel vulnerable."

    "You gave them presence in place of loneliness," she smiled, "and for that, I thank you."

    There was a pause.

    "You, alone, have shone brighter than any star," her words soothed the man as a gentle breeze helped him back onto his feet, "and radiated more warmth than the smoldering Sun could ever think possible."

    With nimble fingers, the Moon reached out to him; transparent thumbs caressing his cheeks.

    "You have given the humans a light in the darkness," she gleamed, "and for that, I want to ask you for a favor."

    The kind-hearted man nodded his head as an array of stars gently connected together - forming a stairway.

    "I know you feel alone, as do I," she cooed. "I'm also sure you've noticed my glow isn't what it used to be, and that's because I'm missing something."

    The man watched as a railing strewn of various orbits formed onto the stairway; awestruck by its beauty.

    "You, Jonghyun," she spoke, "are the missing piece to this home that's not yet finished. You can bring comfort to those who are hurting through your luminosity and words."

    A tear rolled down the young man's cheek, but this time, it was not sad. The lonely feeling from before had completely abandoned his body as his heart overflowed with peace and grace. Finally, he felt a sense of true belonging.

    "You can decline my offer if you wish, but I'd be forever grateful if you joined me. Together," she explained, "we can watch over our humans and show them that on even the darkest of nights, a source of light will always guide them home."

    A smile crept onto his face; white teeth that had been hidden behind corpulent lips finally bared. For a moment, he laughed in joy; a deep sense of euphoria spreading throughout his shaking body.

    "None of us are ever alone," the words flowed from his mouth so naturally that he began to cry in joy.

    The Moon gleamed down upon him as large hands grabbed the makeshift railing of the orbital staircase. With eager steps, he climbed until he reached the sky; a scintillating aura radiating from his body as he joined the Moon.

    As their bodies collided, brilliant light exploded into the void. The human beings who had locked themselves away rushed out from their shelters to spectate the phenomena. Chasms of effulgence flashed in the darkness; their mouths falling open at the breath taking sight.

    Above them, the moon beamed so fervently; something about its aura was so modest, yet so powerful that it rivaled the Sun they had loved so much.

    In an instant, mixed cries escaped their lips - some the same exclamations the man had heard when they praised the Sun. Together, everyone both mourned and rejoiced. Grieving because they would no longer be able to see the man in his human form, but rejoicing because his life's deed was fulfilled. He had successfully brought them out of hiding; teaching them what it means to be human and assuring them that emotion was not their enemy.

    They knew that he was finally safe and at peace in a newer, brighter home and comfort graced their souls. Although the humans could no longer hear the man's beautiful words directly, he continued singing. Warmth replaced the chill of the air; caressing their figures as they joined together to dance and be merry.

    The, now completed, Moon radiated powerfully; its pearlescent aqua color a sign that no matter how difficult times may be, solace can be found.

    All we have to do is look up.

-

For anyone struggling; you did well, Jonghyun.