Chapter 2

Heart 💓 

Baekhyun woke up with a groaned. He stretched his body like a cat before he opened his eyes. His eyes shifted around, and he sighed.

It’s just the same old small unit where he called home.

He didn’t even know if the place he’s staying was qualified to be call as home. The unit itself was only the size of a single room. He didn’t have television, couch or even a bed. He only had a mattress for him to sleep and a couple of stools that he used as chair and table.

Sad. That was the true definition of the place that he called home.

He looked at his watch and realized that he had a few more hours before his shift at the convenience store start, so he took his time to prepare himself.

 

 

“Can’t you do this properly?!”

“I’m sorry Manager Lee,” Baekhyun bowed and apologized.

“You and your sorry never going to bring anything good!” Manager Lee spat before he left.

Baekhyun hold his tears and started to place the items back to its place. He actually didn’t know why Manager Lee hated him so much. He seems to always pick on Baekhyun even though he did nothing wrong just like today. Sometimes Manager Lee was the one who place the wrong item in the wrong shelf and miscalculate the price, but it was always him that pays the price and it was more embarrassing when he was scolded in the middle of the convenience store where customers and his colleagues could see him.

Baekhyun went out from the convenience store and rest himself against the wall during his evening break. He knelt against the wall and hide his face on his knee before he finally cried.

 

This was so unfair! Everything is unfair!

 

 

 

“Can’t believe you still work at this ty place. “

Baekhyun quickly lifted his head up and was stunned to see a very familiar figure standing right in front of him.

 

“Ch-chany-Chanyeol?”

The tall vampire was looking dashing and charismatic as ever.

Chanyeol just looked at him and then turned to look elsewhere.

 

It had been month since Baekhyun left the vampire mansion, but the memories were still there with him.

 

“Humans are stupid,” Chanyeol suddenly said and looked straight into Baekhyun’s eyes.

Baekhyun wiped his tears and frowned at the statement.

“Humans never get enough. That guy has the power, yet he still feels weak and torture other people just to make him feel good. And you are the fool that always get scolded and treated unfairly but why are you still here?” Chanyeol spoke monotonously.

“It’s my life! Who are you to judge me!” Baekhyun stood up and retorted back.

Chanyeol just smirk and shook his head, “Stupid.”

Baekhyun felt offended but he decided to ignore it since he knew it’s not worth it.

“Aren’t you supposed to burn?” Baekhyun asked.

Hey, he might be mad at the tall giant vampire, but he won’t let his curiosity stopped him.

Chanyeol seems to be amused at the question. “No.”

Baekhyun wanted to ask more but knowing that this vampire was very hard to talk to, he just kept mum.

“I am a pure blood vampire, so lights are not going to kill me,” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun was quite taken aback because he never thought Chanyeol will answer him.

 

Then Baekhyun realized that he never asked the question out loud.

“You... you.. read my mind,” Baekhyun said while Chanyeol just looked at him with the ‘what’s new’ look on his face.

 

“BYUN!”

 

Baekhyun flinched and he looked at his watch. He shrieked when he saw that his break was over 5 minutes ago. Feeling anxious he tried to come up with a few acceptable excuses and prepared himself to face the wrath of his manager, but someone seems to have other plan.

“Chanyeol, let go of me.”

Baekhyun tried to free his hand from the tight grip but Chanyeol was stronger than him.

The sound of footsteps nearing him made Baekhyun felt anxious and he wanted to cry so bad. The boss will absolutely hate him for sure.

 

Soon enough the boss managed to reach him and yelled, “IS THIS YOUR PLAYTIME?!”

Baekhyun kept mum and looked down at his shoes with Chanyeol still gripping his arm.

“I’m asking you one more time. Is. This. Your. Playtime?”

Baekhyun gulped and wanted to shake his head but Chanyeol decided to choose that moment to let out a loud scoff. The manager was surely mad and furious. He walked closer to Chanyeol. Realizing that Chanyeol was taller and probably stronger, the manager took a few steps back while still glaring at Chanyeol.

“What’s your problem? Let that useless brat go he needs to clean the store.”

Sensing that Chanyeol did not have any intention to let Baekhyun go. The manager smirk, “Or do you want me to beat you, so you’ll understand what I am capable of.”

This obviously did not attract Chanyeol’s attention at all.

 

“Baekhyun, follow me,” Chanyeol said ignoring the manager.

Baekhyun lifted his head up and he was met with Chanyeol’s intense gaze.

“Just say yes, and I promise I will take care of you,” Chanyeol said firmly.

“I’M GOING TO KILL BOTH OF YOU!!” The manager stride towards Chanyeol and Baekhyun in full speed.

Chanyeol lifted his palm and soon the manager’s movement came to a halt. His feet were stuck on the ground and his legs felt so heavy.

 

“One last chance Baekhyun. Do you want to come with me?”

Baekhyun looked at the manager who was extremely furious and then he looked back at Chanyeol.

 

“I’ll go with you.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It felt like deja vu, the moment Baekhyun opened his eyes.

The room is familiar, the bed was comfortable, the arrangement of the furniture was just like how he remembered it and the tiny vampire that was lying on his chest was really familiar.

 

“Hello,” the tiny voice chirped.

Baekhyun chuckled and ran his fingers through Hoon’s soft lock.

“How long have I been asleep?” Baekhyun asked as he lifted his upper body to sit with Hoon still clinging on his body.

Hoon scrunched his nose and frowned.

“I don’t know. Daddy bring you here last night and now it’s morning. So... ummm,” Hoon lifted his fingers probably to count the hours.

Baekhyun cooed at the cute action and out of nowhere, he leaned down to place a tender kiss on Hoon’s forehead.

Hoon stopped counting and stared at Baekhyun with wide eyes. Baekhyun blushed and thought that maybe Hoon hated the kiss. But the smile that bloomed on Hoon’s face after managed to calm Baekhyun down.

“Again!” Hoon squeaked and shoved his forehead towards Baekhyun emitting a giggle from Baekhyun.

Soon, Baekhyun rained kisses on Hoon’s entire face and the giggling sound from Hoon, made Baekhyun smiled.

“I’m hungry,” Hoon said and pouted when his stomach grumbled.

Baekhyun can’t get enough of the cute tiny vampire.

“Let’s go down and find something to eat,” Baekhyun get off the bed and lifted Hoon in his arm who was smiling happily.

 

 

“Hi, Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun greeted as he entered the kitchen.

Kyungsoo was looking through a cook book while wearing a baby blue apron and it was precious to see Kyungsoo surprised look.

“Oh, you’re awake?” Kyungsoo said and the doe eyed boy grinned widely.

“Was I asleep? Why can’t I remember anything?” Baekhyun asked as he placed Hoon on the chair by the kitchen island.

“We vampire, need to be cautious of our whereabouts,” Kyungsoo started as he grabbed a pan, and a packet of flour.

“We had taken an oath to make sure that no one knows about our whereabouts. And if we need to bring anyone here, we need to make them sleep and bring them here. So far none of us brought anyone except for you,” Kyungsoo happily said.

“So, congratulations for being our first guest for the second time,” Kyungsoo cheered and Hoon happily clapped his tiny hands upon hearing the word ‘congratulation’.

 

 

“Oh man, and here I thought I had the chance.”

The three of them lifted their head and saw a whiny Jongin and the untouchable Chanyeol making their way towards them.

“Jongin, you need to focus more on your sight skill before knocking down your prey,” Chanyeol said emotionlessly and Jongin just whined in return.

“No luck?” Kyungsoo asked knowingly.

“Yeah, this brat here went to attack the deer, after the deer had passed us,” Chanyeol said in disbelief.

“Well, how was I supposed to know I need to attack it before it passes us,” Jongin tried to defend himself.

Baekhyun who had no idea what in the world their argument was about, totally believe that Jongin is stupid.

“What are we eating?” Jongin asked grumpily as he took a seat next to Hoon who was quietly drinking his milk.

“Pancakes!” Kyungsoo beamed happily as he set up 4 plates filled with pancakes and one small baby plate for Hoon.

Baekhyun gaped at the sight.

“When did you cook? I was here with you all the time!” Baekhyun shrieked.

Kyungsoo chuckled and tapped Baekhyun’s shoulder.  “Vampires are also gifted with speed and we tend to move around without making any noise.”

The sight of pancakes made his stomach growled not so quietly.

“Well, I’m glad that you’re hungry,” Kyungsoo said with a wide smile on his face and Baekhyun blushed in embarrassment.

They moved to the dining room and devoured their breakfast.

 

 

“Hoon can count until 10,” the little boy proudly showed his tiny fingers.

“Wow, you’re so clever!” Baekhyun gave Hoon two thumbs up and the boy grinned happily.

“I can count until 1000,” Jongin who was also in the living room proudly stated and sent Hoon a smug smirk.

“Nini hyung is old. So, you can count more!” Hoon sulked and pouted when Jongin was still smiling proudly.

“Jongin, we only need one baby in this house, and I don’t think we need another one,” Kyungsoo said as he went to plop himself next to Jongin who quickly snuggled against the petite boy.

“Yeah, yeah! I’m still a baby,” Hoon enthusiastically chanted causing the adults to laugh at his cute behavior.

However, the laughter died when Chanyeol enter the living room looking paler than ever.

Before anyone could asked anything, Chanyeol beat them to it.

“They’re here.”  

A simple sentence managed to make Jongin gasped, Kyungsoo turned pale while Baekhyun and Hoon sat there and looked around feeling clueless as ever.