Off Beginnings

Her worn out t-shirt

The alarm started buzzing at 6:30 AM. For the new exchange student, Mina, it was her first day of school today.

Having just moved to Korea from Japan at the age of 18, she felt she was ready to take on a new life here, although living alone in a large apartment, which her wealthy parents had easily bought for her, she was still quite nervous to be on her own.

 

Her parents having bought an apartment only a 15 min walk from school was rather convenient.

Her classes starts at 8AM, though she set the alarm to 6:30AM to make sure all her preperations and papers were ready for her first day of school.

 

Before walking out the door, she looked at her backpack before grabbing it. She sighed.

Her backpack was rather expensive looking, and she wasn’t very fond of starting her new life of school by flaunting her money too much. She’d rather kind of just blend in this time and have a quiet, simple school life with few, but great friends. She already knew two of her old friends from Japan, Momo and Sana, went to the same school and would be there. Although the other two japanese students were unaware of the elegant girl’s transfer to the their school, Mina looked forward to seeing them and surprising them.

 

She grabbed her bag, reminded herself to buy a new and cheaper looking backpack and then out the door she went.

 

Since she had woken up so early, so she was also rather early for school as well. She thought it was only natural that she hadn’t seen a lot of students flooding the gates to school yet.

She got the papers out of her bag and started looking on a map of the school that she had brought along to find the office so she could give them the papers for her transfer. Looking down on map she completely forgot to look around for her surroundings in the moment.

 

*thump*

Mina almost fell but kept her balance. Ow my shoulder she thought. She looked down on the floor and saw a smaller girl with rather broad shoulders. She was the one who had bumped into her. Mina, wanting to be nice was about to hold out her hand to help her up, when she heard the smaller girl click her tongue in annoyance and groan angrily

Seriously?” the smaller one almost whispered on her breath.

What do you mean seriously?! You were the one who bumped in to me!” Mina said annoyingly. Refusing to let someone talk to her like that.

 

The smaller girl looked up at the elegant one with slight fierceness in her eyes, almost making Mina want to back away.

The smaller girl clicked her tongue again

”Whatever. Watch where you walk next time.”

 

Mina was still slightly dazed by the look she received from the small girl. Before she could bring up a comeback, the small girl had already run off. She noticed a spilled beverage on the floor and figured it was probably the smaller girls coffee.

Mina kept walking whilst thinking to herself.

What the hell. She didn’t have to be so rude about it.. Also.. She was so small, but she oddly resembled a tiger...”

Mina’s train of thought distracted her whilst she walked and once again;

 

*thump*

 

Not again, she thought.

Papers fell on the floor this time at a sound of something heavier fell to the floor as well.

 

This time, Mina did feel at fault though, it wasn’t like someone rushed into her this time. She was the one not paying attention.

”I’m really sorry I didn’t mean to -”

She looked at the girl she had just bumped into. She was rather tall, had short silver hair and looked both pretty and handsome at the same time.

 

”No, that’s alright. I was focused on something else as well. It was my fault just as much as yours, don’t worry.”

The tall girl picked up her phone that had dropped from the collision as well as she gathered the papers on the floor, then handed them over to the elegant girl.

 

The elegant girl bowed her head and took the papers in her arms.

 

”I haven’t seen you around. You must be the new transfer student from Japan that the principal told me about? I’m Jeongyeon.” the silver haired girl held out her hand to greet the new girl.

 

”Y-yes, I’m new here. I’m Mina... Myoui Mina.” Way to go, Mina. Nice stutter, she scolded herself inside her head.

 

”Well, Mina, You’re rather early today, and since you’re new here, I assume you haven’t quite found your way around yet. Are you looking for the principal’s office right now?”

 

”Yes..” she answered rather quietly.

 

”You don’t have to be so shy around me. I’ll show to the principals office. I’m your upperclassman and I’ve also been assigned to show you around a bit anyway.”

 

The elegant girl girl bowed her head and gratitude and followed the tall silverhaired girl.

 

After the talk at the principals office, she received her schedule for the next days where Jeongyeon showed her the way to her next class.

Mina had started opening up a bit more to Jeongyeon and they had talked a bit more so the walk wasn’t filled with complete silence.

 

”Ah, Mina? Are you aware of the coffee stain on your shirt?”

Mina looked down and saw the coffee stain on her side.

She looked up and groaned in annoyance

”Must be from the girl I bumped into earlier..” Mina said whilst looking down on her shirt trying to cover the stain with her cardigan.

 

”You bumped into someone before me? Hahaha unlucky first day, I guess. But hey, I think I’ll be get you a spare shirt you could fit for today so you won’t have to walk around with that coffee stain for the rest of the day.”

 

Before Mina could decline as she wanted to stay humble and not intrude too much, Jeongyeon interrupted her train of thoughts

 

”I insist. It’s not a problem!”

Mina nodded shyly but thankfully.

 

”This here is your locker.” The tall girl handed her a note with her passcode for the locker.

”And this, here...” The tall girl said as she walked a bit further to another locker, opened the lock with the code and pulled out a black t-shirt with white edges on the arm and white korean letters written on the middle. The t-shirt had a bit of a rip on the cloth of the neck.

”This here is the spare t-shirt!” Jeongyeon said as she handed the t-shirt over. ”There’s a bit of a rip here on the cloth, but it’s not that visible and I suppose it’s better than the coffee stain” she chucked.

 

”Thank you.” Mina responded and smiled with relief. ”I’m also rather relieved your locker is close to mine  as you’re now the only one I know here so far.”

 

”Oh, actually this isn’t my locker.” Jeongyeon responded as she scratched her head.

”This is my friends’ locker. I knew she had two spare shirts in here” She looked in the locker. ”Well actually, she had that one, I guess? She must’ve taken the other one out at some point recently. But don’t worry, I’m sure she’s alright with you borrowing the shirt.”

 

Mina nodded again as Jeongyeon showed her around.

”This is where the toilets are. You can change your shirt in the stalls here, I’ll wait outside” Jeongyeon smiled politely.

After Mina changed, they began walking towards her first class as they spoke about several things.

Jeongyeon is really nice compared to that girl earlier. Thank God I met Jeongyeon there before I managed to get more lost in this school, she thought to herself.

 

On her way to her class the students had begun flowing in from the halls towards their lockers and classrooms.

As the students saw the new elegant girl, whispers begang to occur as several people eyed her and whispered in groups.

 

A tall guy with blonde hair sticking out from his black cap came up to Jeongyeon and Mina in the hallway

”Hey Jeongyeon, who’s the new girl?” Jackson naturally put his hand up and Jeongyeon high-fived it as a greeting.

Mina observed the interaction. They must be close? She thought.

”Hey Jackson, this is Mina. She just transfered from Japan. I’m sho-”

Before Jeongyeon could finish she saw a guy jumping at Jackson, swinging his arm around Jackson’s neck and laughing.

 

”Jacks-” the guy began loudly as he attempted to greet his friend but got severely distracted by the new japanese beauty.

 

”Yah! Bambam, don’t touch my cap!” he shouted as they both fell whilst Bambam almost took off the cap of his friend by grabbing his head in panick trying to gather balance.

 

They both got up and Bambam looked at the Japanese beauty again.

”I’m Bambam!” He quickly put his hand out to greet her with a wide yet nervous smile.

 

”Yahh, Bambam calm down, ah! We have to get to class” Before Mina could shake his hand, Jackson had dragged Bambam away

 

”Nice to meet you, Mina! And Jeongyeon we’ll see you at the cafeteria later!” Jackson shouted enegertically while Bambam wiggled in Jacksons grasp

”Yeah nice to meet you Minaa!” Bambam shouted

 

Mina bowed politely then turned to Jeongyeon.

 

”They’re rather... Energetic” she said as she smiled politely.

 

”Yeah, they are. Jackson’s a pretty good friend. I don’t know Bambam all too well, but he’s a friend of Jackson.”

 

Mina nodded in response. They walked further down the hall with people still whispering and looking. Some went unheard, yet some were a bit louder than others.

”Woahh, she’s so pretty, seriously”, ”is that the new transfer student? She looks gorgeous!”

Could be heard from some student among the crowd.

 

Jeongyeon kept walking, completely ignoring the crowd as if it was already expected. Whilst Mina attempted to hide the fact that she shy and tried to look rather confident whilst walking with Jeongyeon.

 

”I know this school can be pretty confusing at first, so I’ll be here again after your class to show you around some more. But here, this is your first class, math2. Also don’t Good luck!” Jeongyeon looked around the classroom as if looking for someone slightly distracted, as she sent Mina inside the classroom.

 

The elegant girl nodded and smiled in reply.

”Thank you” she said quietly, for Jeongyeon to barely be able to hear her.

The tall silver haired girl smiled in reply and walked off whilst waving.

 

There were already quite a few students in class so not a lot of the seats were open.

As she walked in the class, students began to quiet down and most eyes were on her.

She tried to confidently brush it off and saw that two seats near the window were open. One being on the very front and one being behind that desk and closest to the window.

She put her bag down and sat in the seat closest to the window behind the desk furthest to the front.

 

”I wouldn’t sit there if I were you” said a voice from her right.

”Why not?” The elegant girl said, prepared to stand her ground and not let someone tell her what to do on her first day as she didn’t want to seem weak.

 

”Don’t get me wrong” The guy said, ”It’s just that.. Well... Chaeyoung usually sits there and prefers that seat. And well...”

 

Before he could finish, Mina confidently said ”Well, where is she now?”

It came out a bit too confident for Mina’s expectation.

Damn, I hope I didn’t sound too rude saying that? It doesn’t seem like he wants to be mean or anything, and he didn’t exactly seem impolite.

 

The guy smiled.

”I guess she isn’t here yet, maybe you’re lucky today. I’m Jiming by the way. Park Jimin I hope I didn’t make a bad impression with my first comment before.” He greeted her, still smiling.

 

Lucky day? The beginning wasn’t as lucky. She thought, but still relieved that the guy didn’t seem to be speaking rudely towards her after her short and possibly rude remark.

 

”I’m Mina. Myoui Mina. And it’s alright. I also hope I didn’t come off as rude earlier with my short remark.”

 

”You didn’t, don’t worry.” He responded ”But are you sure you want to sit there?”

 

”How scary could this ’Chaeyoung’ be” Mina laughed.

Jimin opened his mouth about to respond, but the bell rang and so he found his way back to his seat

”Good luck though!” Jimin said before he left.

 

Although the bell had rung, the teacher had yet to arrive.

 

The door from the back of the classroom slid open, and several squeals from some girls on the other side of the classroom broke out.

 

Mina looked around behind her and saw the same smaller girl that had rudely spoken to her earlier thought with different shirt on than earlier.

 

Is this rude girl seriously in the same class as me right now? How even. I thought she’d be at least a year under me when she looks so small and young.

 

The girl confidently walked in, plugged her earphones out of her ears and then looked up straight to her seat and saw someone else in it.

 

The smaller girl smirked as she walked towards the elegant girl

 

... Is she looking at me? Why is she smirking like that... Mina started feeling nervous as the smaller girl approached her.

 

All the eyes were on them.

 

As the smaller tiger reached Mina, she put both her hands on the table and leaned in a little, not speaking too loudly for others to hear.

 

”You know... I really like that seat.” She smirked. ”Could you move to this desk instead?”

 

Ah... This must be the Chaeyoung that Jimin spoke about before then, she thought to herself as she sighed.

She wanted to respond and stand her ground against the tiger but she could really feel she was suddenly much more nervous in front of this girl than she was with Jimin.

How is this small thing so much more intimidating?

 

”I really like this seat too” Mina said, almost shaking with her voice but then tried to smile confidently.

 

Chaeyoung, for a second, almost felt quite surprised at the elegant girl not simply obeying her.

Then she noticed.

The black shirt Mina was wearing seemed.. Rather familiar. Her smirk grew even wider as she saw the rip in the cloth near her neck

 

”I’m pretty sure I like that seat more though.” Chaeyoung said as she moved closer to the girl, trying to intimdate her more.

 

Mina wanted to give in so badly and just get it over with.

Where is the teacher anyway? Why is she so close.. Why does she smell good? What the hell, Mina, that’s not what you should be thinking about right now. She closed her eyes together in frustration at her train of thoughts.

 

As she opened her eyes she still saw Chaeyoung being rather close to her. Before she could say anything in response, the teacher opened the door and walked in.

 

The tiger looked at her with fierce eyes before she smirked again. Chaeyoung reached her hands towards Mina’s neck, and lightly as well as quickly pinched her shirt by the ripped part.

 

”Nice shirt by the way.” the tiger winked

But by reflex she slightly slapped the tigers paw away.

 

”Chaeyoung, sit down” the teacher said with a sigh.

Chaeyoung looked at her hand that had been slapped away and smiled, then turned around and sat down in the chair by the desk in front of her.

 

”Ah, you must be the transfer student, Mina? please introduce yourself for the class.”

 

Mina, still baffled by the close proximity of the tiger before, suddenly felt unable to move for a while.

She’s... way too confident and rude... And why the sudden comment about the shirt?

 

With a few seconds too long before Mina could respond

The teacher again asked: ”Uhmm, Mina?”

 

Mina got out of her daze and stood up, ”Yes, sorry. Hello everyone, my name is Myoui Mina. I’m a transfer student from Japan and I hope to get along with you all well.”

 

She heard the tiger chuckle a bit in front of her from her late response, though it was so quiet she was probably the only that that heard it.

 

She sent an angry look towards the tiger who had turned around slightly to see her presentation.

Though the tiger just shrugged off the angry look, and turned back around to sit properly in her seat.

 

 

A/N:

Well, as I wrote before, this is my first fic. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you thought of the first chapter.

Hope you liked it! If not, please also do let me know what you didn’t like about it! I’d appreciate it!

Also, I apologise if there are too many mistakes with my English or my grammar.