Revelations

Hiraeth

You roll out of bed the next day well into the afternoon. Bright sunlight filters in through the pale blue curtains as you try to get your bearings. The past few days feel like a fever dream, but the shining city outside tells you that you are indeed back in your homeland. Not that you recognize much of it, of course. Even taking into account your minimal exposure to anything beyond the palace walls before your exile, the city has spent the last ten years spreading, growing like a moss over the landscape. And off in the distance is Yuseong River, an iridescent snake splitting the city in two.

After brushing your teeth, you groggily wander downstairs, hoping Hakyeon has procured breakfast in some non-curry way. You catch the barest glimpse of a stranger sitting at the dining table before she hurtles herself toward you, embracing you tightly and obscuring your vision in a cloud of dark hair.

“I didn't believe it, but it's true!” she whispers in a rush next to your ear. The woman finally releases you and holds you at arm’s length to get a better look. Possessing a model-like grace and beauty, she looks entirely unlike anyone you normally interact with. But under her pearly white smile and perfectly sculpted eyebrows, you get the distinct feeling you’ve met before.

“Hakyeon said he found you, but I honestly didn't believe him,” she rambles. “He says a lot of crazy things and—” She breaks off, blinking and pursing her lips. “And, you don't remember me, do you?”

“Ah,” you begin awkwardly, not sure what to say. The woman seems so familiar to you, like you might have seen her in a movie or a dream, but that doesn't seem quite right. Then, at her disappointed sigh of your name, something just clicks, your eyes widening in shock and recognition.

“Sora?”

She beams, wrapping you in another fierce hug. “Oh, you do remember!”

You hear Hakyeon's chuckle off to the side somewhere. “You're crushing her, Sora.”

She releases you quickly as her grin turns sheepish. “I'm sorry. Hakyeon warned me to be gentle with you, but I got a little excited.”

“It's okay,” you say, feeling dazed.

You're back in Asadal now, of course you would run into people from your childhood. It’s just a little hard to reconcile the mental image of your old best friend, all skinned knees and frizzy hair, with the put-together beauty in front of you. If reuniting with Hakyeon was a blast from the past, Sora’s presence feels like actual time travel. “What are you doing here?”

Still smiling, Sora takes your hands and leads you to sit down at the table, now devoid of Hakyeon's various documents.

“I brought her,” Hakyeon answers, leaning against the kitchen island. He's in a fresh set of clothes and looks slightly less haggard than yesterday, though the dark circles haven't budged. “I thought we could use some help reacclimating you with the court.”

Sora nods. “When Hakyeon called me saying he'd found you and that you were back in the Capital, I thought he was making fun of me. But I had to come on the off chance it was true.” She releases your hands and clasps her expertly manicured fingers together. “Wait ‘til I tell grandma!”

You smile at the mention of your old governess. “How is she?”

Sora smiles softly. “As well as can be. She and grandpa have been living at the old house out in Minami province since—“ She pauses here with a wrinkle of her pert nose. “Well, since grandpa left the Council.”

You furrow your brows in worry. Sora's grandfather had been your father's most trusted member of the High Council. With what Hakyeon said last night, you suppose it's only natural the king would dispose of him first. You count it as a blessing that he's still alive.

“And Sanghyuk?”

Sora rolls her eyes heavily. “Still with me in the Capital, still as bratty as ever.”

You smile, glad to hear of her little brother. The image of small, waifish boy clutching at his sister fills your memory with that pronouncement. It was easy to get attached to the kid after years of being followed around on your and Sora’s adventures through the palace. You’re reminiscing when a sudden thought occurs to you, and you spin in your seat to face Hakyeon.

“What do you mean reacclimate myself to the court?”

“My father,” he starts, “has requested your presence at the tower.”

“What.” The idea is so abhorrent that you think you've misheard.

Hakyeon sighs deeply. “I received a message from one of the king's secretaries this morning. It seems he does indeed know you're here, and he wants to see you.”

“When?” you ask simply.

“Tomorrow morning.”

You nod in understanding, seemingly calm. In reality, you've gone completely numb at the thought of standing face to face with the man who murdered your family, stole your kingdom, and almost murdered you as well.

“There's no way to refuse, is there?” A statement more than a question.

Hakyeon shakes his head. “I'm not sure what he wants, but it would be unwise not to go.”

You nod again, anxiety creeping up the back of your neck through the numbness. “What do we do?”

“I have a plan.” Arms crossed, Hakyeon has a look of foreboding.

“Let's hear it.”

“You're not going to like it,” he says with a slight grimace.

“Let's hear it,” you repeat, more slowly this time.

With a sigh Hakyeon runs a hand through his hair and starts pacing. “The kingdom is under the assumption that you are dead, and they have been since your disappearance. The people were forced to accept my father as king only because there was no other choice.”

He stops in front of the window, back turned and hands clasped. “While he certainly has his supporters, the people don’t love my father. They don’t support him the way they did your parents. And with the recent civil unrest, he has never been more unpopular with the common folk.”

You furrow your brows and look to Sora for confirmation, and she nods ruefully. “It's particularly bad down south.”

“So, what am I supposed to do?” you ask.

Hakyeon turns around to face you, arms crossed again. “The king could use some support. If you can convince him you've arrived to help solidify his power, he'll be inclined to leave you alone while we work on deposing him.”

“You want me to be the king's personal cheerleader,” you say, deadpan.

He grimaces again, but nods. “For lack of better term.”

You can't help but let out a sarcastic laugh. “You were right, I don't like this plan. I hate this plan.”

“Think about it,” Hakyeon implores. “The king already knows you're here. He’ll want to know why, and knowing my father, he will feel threatened by your presence. Convince him and the rest of the kingdom you’re here for his sake and he will be forced to leave you alone.”

At your skeptical look, he continues, clearly having pre-scripted this conversation. “Plus, you'll have a great vantage point of being involved in the court. I don't have a lot of allies there, and as I told you, I need access to the king's systems.”

You roll your eyes in exasperation. “Hakyeon, this is dumb. How are we supposed to explain my miraculous reappearance? What makes you think we can convince him of anything?”

“Because he has no choice,” Hakyeon states firmly. “My father's grip on the realm has always been tenuous at best, and he knows it. He may have his sycophants now, but they will turn on him at the drop of a hat.

“As for your reappearance.” He pauses. “I think my father has always suspected you survived.”

“How do you figure?” A chill runs down your spine at the very notion. That the king knew, waited out your years in exile.

Hakyeon shakes his head. “I just know. He never relaxed after I got you out of the kingdom. I covered my tracks as best I could, but still.” He smiles suddenly. “You're his worst failure.”

“I'm glad my not drowning was such an accomplishment,” you mutter darkly.

Sora speaks up from the side where she has been listening intently to your conversation. “What happened that night?” she asks in a soft voice.

Your jaw clenches and your muscles tense, as they always do when thinking back to that time. Hakyeon, taking your silence as a concerning sign, immediately tries discouraging the topic.

“Sora, I don't think now is the time—”

“No, it's okay,” you interrupt, your voice sounding impossibly small, even to yourself. “I've had time to come to terms with it.”

Hakyeon raises an eyebrow, apparently skeptical. “Have you?”

“Somewhat,” you clarify, rather embarrassed. To say you’re over your trauma would be a blatant lie. But it had been ten years ago, and you refuse to hesitate in front of your old friend, regardless of the constant anxiety and occasional nightmares you still have.

You swallow heavily and shake your head. “What do you remember about my parents’ deaths?”

Sora looks like she slightly regrets starting this conversation, but obliges. “There was a fire.” She pauses, pursing her lips and averting her eyes. “The king and queen were called to the Assembly House. Everyone did what they could, but they couldn’t put out the fire until it was too late. Except,” she says, huffing frustratedly, “everyone knows that's a lie.”

“Do they?” You're curious as to how much of the kingdom knows the truth.

“Well, not everyone,” she admits. “Just anyone in the court at the time. Grandpa warned your parents that something was going to happen.”

This is news to you. “He did?” You wonder just how much was known, if all this could have been prevented.

Sora nods. “You were away at school, but the entire High Council and half the magistrates seemed to know something was up with your uncle.”

You look to Hakyeon who nods as well. “I tried keeping an eye on my father, but you know he's always kept me at an arm's length. There were plenty at court who warned your parents that he could strike any moment.”

You look down as your heart clenches. They knew. Your parents knew they were marked for death. “Why didn't they run?” you whisper, half to yourself.

“They didn't want to abandon the kingdom,” Sora says, looking to the floor sadly. “Grandpa ranted about it at home, about how they were too noble for their own good. Grandma at least managed to convince them to send you away.”

You in a deep breath to ground yourself, but your hands curl into fists, nails cutting half-moons into your palms.

There’s only so much you could have done, right, from your position as a sheltered child? Your uncle had never seemed outwardly dangerous. A little weird, a little intense, popping into the palace randomly after long periods away. Your father never had the best relationship with his estranged older brother, your uncle always a little too desperate for leverage in court. But you never thought, never dreamed that he would do anything about it. If only you had spoken up.

“So everyone knows?” you ask in a hollow voice.

“Not the citizens. But the magistrates, the council, half the court even.” Sora looks at you, worrying her bottom lip with her teeth. “I'm sorry.”

You attempt a smile that lands closer to a grimace and shake your head. “You have nothing to be sorry for, Sora. In fact, your grandpa saved my life. Along with Hakyeon,” you add, glancing over to your cousin.

The prince flushes slightly. “I had very little to do with it.”

“I wouldn't be here today if not for you,” you assert. “You remember the funeral?” you ask, turning back to Sora.

She nods. “I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I wanted to come see you the second you got back to the kingdom, but whenever I tried some court attendant or whoever would tell me you were busy.”

“Yeah,” you chuckle darkly. “They wanted to crown me immediately. They probably would have done it at the airport if Uncle hadn't stepped in.”

“I have a theory about that,” says Hakyeon. You raise an eyebrow and he continues. “I think my father assumed that he would be allowed to rule as regent for the time being. You were still a minor, and I think he planned to gradually take over officially.”

“But the Council had different plans,” you finish for him.

Hakyeon nods ruefully.

“I think everyone was afraid of the crown falling into your uncle's hands,” Sora adds.

“Instead they just spurred him to take drastic measures.” Hakyeon's jaw is set in anger, but you're too tired to be mad at what a group of old men did so long ago.

“He sent his men after me,” you explain, turning back to Sora and finally getting to the story. “I don't fully remember what happened, but I remember being dragged from my bed in the middle of the night.”

You squeeze your fingers, doing your best to distract yourself and keep your heart rate down, but it isn't quite working. In your mind, you’re back in a dark, stuffy van, head swimming and lungs struggling to take in air. Wake up. Wake up. Wake. UP.

“I think I may have been drugged as well,” you add quietly, arms crossed firmly in some semblance of keeping yourself together.

Sora's eyes have gone wide at the revelation.

“After what happened to the king and queen I tried to stick as close to my father as possible,” Hakyeon continues for you. “I noticed him being more secretive than usual, and I instructed your grandfather to check in at the palace,” he explains to Sora. “I'm sorry I didn't move quicker. From what I gather, there was a chase. The men tried to transport the princess out of the Capital, but were held up at the bridge crossing Yuseong River.”

He looks away, unable to face you, while you're just doing your best to keep breathing normally. In your dreams you often re-live waking up with water in your lungs, darkness all around you. The memories are just as vivid ten years later.

Hakyeon lets out a strained sigh, the air getting caught somewhere in his throat as he exhales. “Together we got her out of the country.” He has his hands in his pockets, looking older than you've ever seen him. “The few loyal members of the Council and I, I mean.”

You nod. “They set me up with an apartment and fake documents for school and a little money. And that's where I've been until now. And,” you pause for a deep breath, “now you know.”

You're enveloped in a crushing hug once again as Sora jumps out of her seat toward you. “I'm sorry,” she whispers against your ear.

You shake your head, hugging her back. “It happened, and it's over.”

Sora releases you, then stands and surprises Hakyeon with a hug of his own. “You too, you silly prince,” she says emphatically. Hakyeon awkwardly pats her on the back and you almost laugh at the sight. Sora straightens and turns to face the two of you with a determined look in her eye.

“Okay, so what's the plan, how can I help?”