Abeyance

Hiraeth

It's a drizzly Friday evening when your past catches up to you.

The late train out to your neighborhood winds around all the outlying areas surrounding the Armistice mega city, making for a frustrating commute. Being the financial and cultural heart of the United Northern Federation, Armistice is a sprawling metropolis spanning almost twenty-five square kilometers, a melting pot of cultures from all nations. The city swallows up the entire semi-circle coastline formed by the Bay of Sipala and spreads out in all directions, which is a lot to ask for in terms of public transport.

Somewhere halfway through your three-block walk from the subway to your apartment, your phone buzzes in your pocket. Anticipating a co-worker asking for a last-minute code check, you grumble to yourself about being off the clock, but nonetheless tap the screen. The text is from an unknown number.

It’s cold out today.

Another buzz.

You should be wearing a scarf.

Another buzz.

Did you throw out the one I gave you?

You stare at the texts with pursed lips and tensed muscles, waiting for another vibration, but none comes. You immediately block the number, the third one this week, and shove your phone back in your pocket. Quickening your pace, you continue onwards, feeling even more tired than you had a minute ago.

You round the corner to your apartment a good two hours after you'd already left work, the sun long having set. Between your yawning and self-pitying stupor, you don't notice your landlady out to walk her dog until the fuzzy poodle mix runs up to you.

“Hey there, Belle,” you say, bent over to rub the dog's head. Tired as you are, the affectionate canine still manages to elicit a smile.

“Long day?” Your landlady stands with a hand on her hip, tutting mildly. “For such a fancy company, you'd think they could afford to give you more reasonable shifts.”

You straighten back to face her with a rueful smile. “I started barely a year ago, Auntie. Gotta pay my dues and all that.”

TirTech Telecommunications and Security, being a worldwide tech giant, had advertised their cushy benefits and flexible scheduling on all the job sites. However, you are newer hire, a junior consultant, meaning you’re usually saddled with most of the grunt work, requiring long hours in the office. The latest client assigned to you is some alternative banking startup, and their security procedures are essentially made of tissue paper, with all their confidential data on public networks.

She tuts some more. “A young girl like you should be getting ready to go out and do whatever it is you kids do these days, not working late and talking to old ladies like me.”

“You're not even that old, Auntie,” you laugh.

Promising her to take more time for yourself, you head inside, stopping briefly to collect yet more bills from your mailbox. You're so engrossed in reading your credit card company's new payment policy, you almost run into a figure standing at your door. You look up just in time, only to have your world turn upside down.

“Cha Hakyeon.”

The face at your doorstep is from another lifetime. Hakyeon leans on the door frame and flashes his painfully familiar, sheepish grin. “How is my favorite cousin doing?” At your nonplussed expression, his grin falls. “I'm sorry to drop in on you so suddenly. Have you been working late?”

He's answered with silence, your brain still working overtime to catch up.

His gaze softens. “Could we speak inside?”

Shakily, you enter your entry key on the number pad and step inside, followed closely by Hakyeon and a tall, blond companion that you've just now registered.

Your apartment is comfortable by Armistice standards, but right now you may as well be living in a cardboard box.

You're staring, and your eyes seem to be working, but your brain doesn't quite know what to do with this information. Cha Hakyeon, crown prince to the Kingdom of Asadal, and your older cousin, is in your threadbare living room, approximately a thousand miles and three time zones away from where he should be. He glances uncertainly at the blond stranger and takes a seat on your sagging couch. You'd laugh at the contrast between his expensive tailored suit and the blotch on couch cushion next to him where you spilled spaghetti sauce last week, but honestly your brain is still processing.

“What are you doing here?”

He actually pouts, raising his eyebrows up at you in displeasure. You note, with all the absurdity the situation requires, that his brows are meticulously shaped. “Ten years no see and I don't even get a hello?”

“Hakyeon, you're stalling,” says the blond in a sing-song way, still standing next to the prince. Your expression isn't quite a glare, but it's definitely getting there.

Hakyeon sighs. “I won't beat around the bush then. I need your help.”

“What the hell does the crown prince need my help for?” You don't mean to sound as hostile as you do, but a seed of panic has planted itself firmly in your chest.

“My father is a tyrant,” Hakyeon says, his eyes unable to meet yours. “He’s unhinged and dangerous, as you so unfortunately know personally.”

Of course you know. You know your uncle's cruelty and malice the way a shipwreck knows the breaking waves. The panic roots itself in your abdomen as you fight to keep your cool.

The prince stands and begins pacing, still refusing to meet your eyes. “I know I'm asking for a lot. It can't be easy to have me drop in on you out of the blue like this. But know that I wouldn't be here if I had any other options.”

“Spit it out, I don't have all day.” You might mean the hostility this time.

With a sigh he stops to face you at last. “Asadal needs its princess.”

The panic blossoms.

“Get out, Hakyeon.”

“Please!” He steps toward you, and you're forced back against the far wall to put some distance between yourselves.

“Think about what you're asking of me,” you say in a horrified whisper, fighting to stay calm. It's been a while since your last full panic attack, and you refuse to break your streak now.

“I know! I know what I'm asking. Please realize I have no choice, no one else to turn to,” he pleads. Between the tight line of his lips and his clenched hands, you've never seen your cousin this distressed.

“I can't.” You shake your head, willing yourself to keep the tears at bay, but memories resurface unbidden. Your limbs like lead, waking up with your lungs full of water. “You know why I left.”

“You'll be safe, I promise. I already have everything set up, you'll--”

“Hakyeon, they threw me in a river and left me to die!” You don't mean to scream, but it's all you can do to keep it together, eyes screwed closed tightly. He's silent for a second while you do your best to blink away tears.

“I know,” Hakyeon says, ashamed. “I know I can never answer for what my father's done to you and your family. The number of lives he's destroyed can't be counted.” He takes another step toward you and this time you have nowhere left to go. “That's why he needs to be stopped. And I need your help to do it.”

“Am I supposed to just put my life on hold to go help you on this useless crusade?” You're incredulous. “What you're asking for is impossible.”

“We can help make arrangements.” Hakyeon is in his stern prince mode and you know he can't be swayed. “I gave you ten years. All I'm asking for is a couple months of your time.”

The guilt digs in. There are some debts that can't be repaid. Still…

“Hakyeon. This is too much.”

He takes your shaking hands in his, forcing you to look up at him. “I swear on my life you will be safe. I have contingencies prepared for everything. And I brought Jaehwan,” he says, jerking his head toward the blond who has been listening quietly to your family drama this whole time.

Jaehwan gives you a peppy wave and a megawatt smile. You stare blankly, taking your hands out of Hakyeon’s. “Who?

They both seem surprised. “Really? You don't remember—” starts Hakyeon, then seems to change his mind. “It doesn't matter. Jaehwan is my friend and an excellent bodyguard. He'll be watching over you as a favor to me.”

“I don't know that the king is going to be very afraid of one guy.”

“The king won't even know you're there,” Hakyeon says earnestly. “Please, I just need help gathering people, and maybe breaking into the king’s systems. You work for TirTech, I know you can do it.”

You blink in surprise, taken aback. “How do you know where I work?”

Hakyeon smiles softly, a smile you haven't seen for many lonely years. “You thought I wouldn't be keeping tabs on my favorite little cousin?”

“I'm your only cousin, Hakyeon.” You sigh, exhausted by this whole ordeal.

“Well, you're my favorite anyway.” Hakyeon takes your hand and squeezes softly. “Look, you don't have to decide right now. I have to get back to the Capital tonight, but I'll leave Jaehwan here in the city for the time being. He'll make sure you're safe, and when you're ready, you can make your way back home.”

The mention of “home” brings you a not insignificant amount of discomfort. Taking your hand back, you rub your temples. A mild headache has begun to form, and you still have to address those bills at some point today.

“I don't need a babysitter.”

“I'd feel better leaving him with you. Contingencies, you know?”

You don't argue further, anything for a little peace and quiet. Hakyeon straightens his coat, smiling down fondly.

“I have to go deal with some business now unfortunately,” he says. For a second you think he's going to hug you goodbye, but then he turns to the door, which is already being held open by Jaehwan. “Take care, little cousin. I hope to see you soon.”

You're left in your empty apartment with silence hanging in the air and a storm in your chest.