Chapter 1

Take me to the sky

Life likes to throw things at us that sometimes we are not ready for. It's how the weak are weeded out. I began to believe that when my mother had died. She had said it several times but  I never understood it. The day I was pulled aside in the middle of English and was told that my aunt was coming to pick me up I knew, she was gone. 

My one and only aunt lived in Japan and I had never seen her in my entire life. It was a code that my mother and I had agreed on a long time ago. The day she passed "my aunt" would be there to collect me. 

I walked through the hallways trying my best to stay strong, they couldn't see me hurt until we were long gone from here. I got down to the office and saw the car. I knew this was the last time I'd step foot in this high school, the last time i'd step foot in this town. I was gone for good. 

My mother was an Angel. As I child I didn't know the trouble she beared upon those wings, to me those wings were just beautiful. As I grew older I was introduced to the world with which she was a part of. I was introduced to the hardships that Angels held. It was then I met the boys that I had only ever known as my mother's sons, my brothers. Not by blood, but rather by a form of adoption that was rare amongst Angels. 

Many Angels died at a very young age, my mother was lucky. It was also common for Angels to be unable to produce children, another feat my mother was able to accomplish. It was by chance that these 7 boys were ever concieved, let alone birthed. Knowing the punishment for the concieving of half blooded children, their mothers had taken their own lives, another crime punishable in the Angel community. The 7 boys were left on their own, my mother being the saint she was bargained with the council to keep them in the community until they were of age. By then they would have the opportunity to repent for their mother's actions and to take the official Angel oath. 

My brothers, Jin, Yoongi, Hoseok, Namjoon, Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook, were the most important thing to my mother, other than me. She adored those boys for years. They were only a year older than I and I had grown up in their protection. That was the deal they made with my mother. They got to stay with us and live with us, as long as they protected me. 

I remember the few years before they came of age. They would walk around the house screaming about how they would never repent for the actions of their mothers. That they would always hate the way the Angel Council watched over them day and night. The worst was Tae. He'd scream the worst things about his mother, how she left him on his own, subjected to the hate and predjudice of the Angel Council. I had learned to let him do it at home, where my mother was the only one who watched over him. There were still nights the sound of his sobs were the only sound in the entire house. 

Tae was the one I loved the most out of them. He was kind and gentle to me. He never let me get in trouble or think terrible things. It's because of him I had grown up to be so innocent. He kept me that way.

The day they turned 16 they decided against repenting. They never took the oath and it was my mother's job to revoke them of their Angel powers. But my mother knew what that meant. They would be stripped of their memories as an Angel. Forced to be human again. It was a risk, one that didn't promise life for them. My mother decided that day when we got home that she was not losing her boys. 

We left for America and remained there, hidden as much as possible. A spell was put upon us so that only our mother had watch over us. We all knew that when she died the spell would die with her, it would then be our job to recreate the spell, but it wouldn't be as strong. 

It was never to be known that they remained halfbloods, and further that I was a halfblood as well. 

I sat in my seat in the car next to Tae. 

"Let's go." I softly said to Jin as he took off. 

I tried to hold back my tears, my throat burned. The one and only mother I had ever known was gone. All that was left were my brothers and I couldn't begin to understand the danger in which we were in. All I could think of was the way that we would live now, in fear. 

Tae wrapped his arm around me and held me close to him. I listened to his heartbeat and the sound of the rain as it poured on the car. I tried my best to not let the tears slip, but once I was comfortable I let a few go, just to get it out. Namjoon kept looking back at me every so often, making sure I was ok. I felt safe having all my brothers around me. 

We drove for what felt like hours until we reached a small house in the middle of the forest in Washington. I knew that this was our best way of staying hidden until we were able to recreate my mothers spell. We'd be hidden from the rest of the world and the Angel Council. A house my mother had put a spell over that would only last a year after her death. We had that long to figure out her spell. 

We shut the doors of the car and walked inside the house. 3 bedrooms, a living room and a small kitchen. The only bathroom was a conjoined one with two of the rooms. It would be a small fit, but we had to make it work. I looked at my brothers and it was unspoken. Tae, Jungkook and I would take one room, Namjoon, Hobi and Jin would take another and Jimin and Yoongi would take the last. Tae wrapped his arm around me and led me to the room where we would be staying. One bed, and an armchair. We would take turns sleeping on the armchair. I immediately sat down and just stared at the floor. 

"Please don't Ary." Tae said to me "Please don't lose yourself ok? I know what that's like. I can't watch you go through it too." 

Jungkook walked over to me "Arysta please? We love you." 

I nodded but continued to stare at the floor. She was gone, for good. I hadn't even gotten to see her one more time. I kept thinking of her face. The way her blue eyes would look into my green ones and smile. 

"You're so beautifully different Ary." She would say to me. 

I didn't look like her or anyone close to us for that matter. I had dark skin, green eyes and auburn hair. My mother had always treasured my appearance. She loved my eyes, my hair, my skin, everything. She was happy I looked nothing like her or my father. I was my own person, exactly what she had always wanted of me. 

After a few minutes I stood up and went to the living room where everyone was and sat down with them, next to Tae and Jimin. The smell of rain coming through the window was calming. 

I kept thinking to myself, if it never stopped raining I would be ok. Everything would be ok, as long as there was rain. 

Mom had promised me as a child, that once she was gone, she would come as the rain to remind me how much she loved me. So as the rain poured on the house I lied back and smiled.