two

Ki Heehyun is a Professional

 

She still had her lyrics to finish, since she found herself unable to do so the day before, so, without knowing if the studio was booked for them, she still drove to Chaeyeon’s company. 

It was in fact booked, but Chaeyeon wasn’t there. So, finishing her third coffee of the day, Heehyun sighed and focused on her task. 

After finishing it at last, she the shuffle on her phone and leaned back on her chair, closing her eyes. 

The hope that Chaeyeon would knock on the door anytime soon would keep Heehyun waiting, rapping and singing to the songs her phone played. 

“I didn’t know Ki Heehyun could sing.”  

The sudden call made her jump on her chair, almost falling to the ground, as her head snapped towards the door. 

“C-Chaeyeon, what the hell?!” 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” She said, and clearly meant it, by how she tried to hold her laugh. 

“Don’t you know how to knock?” Heehyun straightened up on her chair. 

“I did, but you didn’t answer, so I let myself in,” Chaeyeon said, sitting on the chair beside her. “Your singing voice is just... I mean, I never expected you to sound so different when you sing. It’s nothing like your rap voice at all. And it’s beautiful.” 

Once Heehyun’s eyes found Chaeyeon’s, she felt more awake than she would with all the coffee in the world.  

"I'm sorry," Chaeyeon said, letting her head drop slightly. "You know, about yesterday. I did bad." 

Heehyun stared at her, without a possible word to answer. 

"And you were right, I shouldn't have done that without at least asking for your permission. It was something that involved you too and I didn't think about you, I just thought it would be fun for people to know I was with you." 

"Why?" 

Chaeyeon rose her head to meet her eyes. "People should share their happiness with others, right?" A small smile took place on her lips. "I promise I will be more careful about my actions-" 

"You're fine," Heehyun blurted, and Chaeyeon widened her eyes for a second. "Don't change who you are. I became nervous with the situation and I lashed out on you, so I'm sorry. It's fine if you're a bit more careful, but don’t change. Your fans like you for who you are, they wouldn't like a fake Chaeyeon. And you don’t have to make up those white lies for them to like you, either." There was a pause. "Did I even make sense?" 

"Yes," Chaeyeon nodded, "Thank you, Heehyun. Even if you were harsh, what you said was still something I needed to hear." 

"Well, I'm glad I helped then, but still, I'm sorry."  

"It’s okay, we can leave this behind." 

"Yeah." 

Silence settled in, but their gazes were still locked. Heehyun could swear she noticed Chaeyeon's eyes wandering down for the shortest of the time. She cleared and blinked, shifting her gaze somewhere that wasn’t in Chaeyeon’s direction. 

"M-My rap is finished," Heehyun said, turning her computer to her so she could read it. 

Chaeyeon brought her chair closer to hers, and while she stared at the screen, Heehyun stared at her. When would she stop being amazed by how beautiful Chaeyeon was? Never, because it seemed like she always found new details to add to her Chaeyeon's perfect features collection. Like the smallest of the moles underneath her right eyebrow, or how arched her nose was, or her sharp jawline, so much she was afraid she would cut her finger if she dared to touch it, or how her ear popped out as she tucked a strand of hair behind it- 

“It’s awesom-” Chaeyeon turned her face so fast Heehyun didn’t have time to retreat.  

Their eyes locked once more, but now, they were too close to each other. Heehyun held on her breath, yelling internally at her body to move, to get away, but it told her otherwise, because it kept closing the already small distance between them.  

Like minutes ago, Chaeyeon looked down, and Heehyun unconsciously did the same. Chaeyeon’s tongue ran across her dry lips, and Heehyun couldn’t suppress a loud gulp. They looked too tempting for her to keep staring, while she was still fighting herself, because she had to keep it profess--- 

“I know I just said I would be more careful but… Can I not care about anything now?” Chaeyeon asked, her hoarse whisper sending chills down Heehyun’s neck. 

“So glad you asked,” Heehyun breathed out what she had been holding for so long.  

Professionalism was overrated and damn impossible when it came to Chaeyeon, and she didn’t care. She rested her hands on the back of her neck, and watching Chaeyeon close her eyes, Heehyun leaned in for good.  

Who would know Chaeyeon felt the same as her, and she didn’t need to hear it from her, because the way Chaeyeon held on her arms, even though they were sitting, and the way she deepened the kiss with such urgency spoke louder than any words.  

“H-Heehyun,” Chaeyeon called in between kisses. “The door.” 

“What… about it?” 

Chaeyeon pulled away. “Lock it.” 

Screw the song. 

Only after a loud and shallow breath, Heehyun was able to stand up with her wobbly legs and walk towards the door, locking it. 

She turned, ready to go back to her, but she didn’t need to. Chaeyeon was already there, pushing her body against the door, and Heehyun had to tell her legs not to fail her. 

Heehyun wasn’t one to break rules and disregard her own flawless work ethic, but this was Chaeyeon. Jung Chaeyeon. 

The one with the smile that could take anything she asked of the world. The one whose gaze made Heehyun want to surrender. 

--- 

"Heehyun? What are you doing here?" Chungha asked the second she opened the door. 

Heehyun stepped inside her best friend's house, greeting her dog, Bambi, and sat on her couch. Her smile was so big and bright Chungha almost got blinded. 

"Just paying my bestie a visit," Heehyun held on Bambi and sat her on her lap, the corners of her lips as perked up as humanly possible. 

"Your what?” Chungha wrinkled her nose. “I'm guessing you apologized to Chaeyeon after all? Did you ask her out?" She asked, sitting beside her. 

"Actually, she asked me out. I mean, she didn’t ask me out, she straight up asked me to kiss her."  

"She what?!" 

Heehyun looked down and caressed Bambi's ears. "You heard it." 

Chungha blinked, shaking her head. "You wished." 

"You don't believe me." 

"Holy ," Chungha widened her eyes. "For real? What happened next?" 

Heehyun rolled her eyes, a small grin plastered on, showing a bit of her shoulder to reveal a small bite mark. 

"With or without details?" Heehyun smirked. 

"Keep it." 

She laughed. "We just made out." 

"Just?" Chungha scoffed. 

"Yeah, it was intense, alright, but it didn’t go further than that." Heehyun felt her face warming up. "Not that I didn't want-" 

"I told you to keep it." Chungha glared at her, stealing away Bambi, who snuggled against her chest. "What now?" 

"What now what?" 

"Do you like her, or are you guys just having fun?" 

Heehyun stared at her. "We didn't really talk about it." 

Chungha sighed. "You know you really need to be careful, right? No one can find out. Both your careers will be ruined." 

"I know." 

Ironic how she had told all of that to Chaeyeon, and now she was the one hearing it. 

"I don't know if I like her." Heehyun confessed, her head down. "I guess it's too soon to say I do, but I'm sure it could happen. And I have no idea if that's good or bad." 

"Depends on how she feels," Chungha said. "But even if she does like you back, you can imagine how a relationship with an idol would be like, right?" 

"Gosh, you're thinking way too ahead of time. And can't you be happy for me, instead of giving me a lecture?" 

"I am happy, but I can't not be worried." 

Heehyun gave her a small smile and messed up her hair. "You worry too much. Let's just see how this goes, okay?" 

--- 

“Okay, I think we’re done!” Heehyun’s producer friend who joined them to help said. “Great job, both of you.” 

Heehyun smiled and was about to step out the recording room when Chaeyeon stood up. 

“Wait. I was wondering and I think Heehyun should sing the last chorus with me.” 

“Oh,” He said, looking at Heehyun. “What do you think?” 

She opened several times, but ended up only nodding with her eyebrows raised in her forehead. 

“I-Is this a good idea?” Heehyun asked. 

“Yes. Since I heard you sing yesterday that I’ve been thinking about this. I think our voices will blend nicely and people will be surprised to hear you sing.” 

“Are you sure, I don’t wanna ruin this-” 

“You won’t. Your voice is beautiful, there’s no way it would ruin anything. Besides, if you don’t feel comfortable, it doesn’t even have to go on the final song.” 

He cleared his throat outside, making both girls snap their heads at him. “Whenever you’re ready.” 

They nodded and put on their headphones. The song started playing a few seconds before the last part, and Chaeyeon stared right into Heehyun’s eyes, her gaze so strong she couldn’t break it.  

The song came to the end, but they were still in their own world, smiles creeping into their lips and an almost uncontrollable urge to kiss each other. 

“That was amazing,” He said, bringing them back to reality. “Chaeyeon was very right, your voices sound great together. Listen.” 

Heehyun was still amazed by how naturally she sang with Chaeyeon, like they had rehearsed it a thousand times, but when she heard the final result, she could almost cry. 

“I don’t think you need to repeat it, this one is perfect, and the emotion you both put in your singing is incredible. Your chemistry together is no joke.” He said, nodding at his own words. 

They left the recording room and Heehyun could feel her face warmer.  

“Heehyun, do you need anything else? I think my job here is done.” He said, standing up, smiling at them. 

“Oh, no, now I’ll finish everything up, thank you so much for your help. I’ll make sure you’re the first one to listen to the final version.” 

He nodded and bid his goodbyes, wishing then good luck on their song.  

The second the door closed, hands crept on Heehyun’s waist, making her turn and meet Chaeyeon’s eyes, who wasted no time in pressing their lips together.  

“Impatient, are we?” Heehyun said, pulling away to breathe. 

“I couldn’t wait for him to leave.” 

“Hey, don’t be like that, he helped us a lot today. The song is nearly finished thanks to him.” 

“I know,” Chaeyeon pecked her lips. “He’s awesome, but you know what I meant.” 

Heehyun smirked. “And what should we do about that?” 

“Oh, I think you know that very well,” Chaeyeon said, her voice turning into a whisper as she pulled Heehyun closer again, but she held on Chaeyeon’s arms. 

“Yes, after we finish the song.” 

Chaeyeon pouted and whined. “Why?” 

“Because if we don’t finish it now, you know we will not finish it today.” 

“Okay, you’re right. Then let’s finish it fast so we can get to the fun part.” 

“Oh, our song is not fun?” 

Chaeyeon raised an eyebrow at her, and with her hands on Heehyun’s shoulders, she approached her ear. “Not as much fun.” 

Heehyun took a deep breath and a huge hold on her own body not to grab Chaeyeon and take her to the couch. 

“Okay okay, I’m sorry, let’s focus on the job.” Chaeyeon giggled. 

--- 

Heehyun’s phone rang, making her roll her eyes and stretch her arm towards the table, almost throwing her computer to the floor. 

“You better have a good reason-” 

“ARE YOU HOME?” Chungha yelled. 

“Yes I am, what the is going on?” 

“Turn on the TV!” 

“I’m working-” 

“TURN ON THE ING TV, HEEHYUN!” 

After a mumbled fit of curses trying to find the tv remote, she turned it on, and the first thing that appeared on the big screen was none other than Jung Chaeyeon. 

“You’re welcome.” Chungha said with a chuckle, but the phone was long forgotten. Heehyun could only focus on the screen and the beauty she missed already. 

“So, you actually worked on the song, right? You must be happy it was such a hit!” The MC said, and a grin grew on Chaeyeon’s lips. 

“Yes, not only happy, but proud as well. It was such a great opportunity to work on this song with Heehyun-ssi. She’s truly talented, and allowed me to give my opinions and help with the lyrics and composition of the song, so I was able to learn a lot. I’m really thankful for that.” 

Heehyun hugged the nearest pillow and tried not to squeal, at which she failed miserably. 

“Heehyun really seems like a humble person,” The other MC said. “I think it was a big surprise to everyone when we heard her singing with you when she’s a rapper. How did that happen?” 

Chaeyeon giggled. “Well, there was this time I entered the studio and she was listening to music and singing, and I was very surprised as well, I had no idea she sang so well, so I asked her to sing the last part with me.” 

The MCs showed their amusement. “I think everyone is glad you did, your voices sound great together.” 

“I think so too. This time she was the one featuring in my song, but I would love to work with her again, so it would be amazing if I could feature in one of her songs next time.” 

“Did you hear this, Heehyun?” The MC looked straight at the camera, laughing. “I hope you’re watching right now, you can’t refuse an offer like this!” 

Heehyun’s chin dropped so low it could reach the floor. 

“Let’s hope we get the chance of seeing you two working together again in the future! We also heard that you were...” 

At this stage, Heehyun wasn’t listening anymore.  

Their song had been a hit, she was gaining popularity because of it and Chaeyeon, lots of artists wanted to collab with her now, and she was already so grateful for that. But Chaeyeon asking to be in one of her songs? That was asking too much. 

Yet, Chaeyeon just did it, on TV. 

She searched for her phone and after a few taps, she brought it to her ear, still staring at Chaeyeon on the screen. Then, her call was accepted, and a grin appeared on her lips before she even heard her voice. 

“I heard the hit idol Jung Chaeyeon wants to feature in one of my songs.”  

“If the best rapper in the industry Ki Heehyun lets me, it would be my pleasure.” Chaeyeon’s voice melted Heehyun. 

“With you I could do a whole album if you want to.” 

Chaeyeon laughed, and how Heehyun missed it, even though it’s been only a week since their last meeting. “Don’t joke too much, I’ll consider that.” 

“I’ll start working on something for us as soon as I’m done with all the things I have to do.” 

“There’s no rush, I’m still not done with promotions as well. Speaking of which, my company will call you anytime soon, but I’ll tell you beforehand. You’re gonna perform with me next week for The Show.” 

Heehyun almost dropped the phone. “A-Are you serious?” 

“Of course. I can’t wait.” 

“M-Me too! I miss you.” Heehyun blurted, hiding her face in the pillow. 

“I miss you too Heehyun, a lot.” 

In the silence that followed, Heehyun heard a male voice calling for Chaeyeon in the background. 

“I have to go now, we’ll meet soon!” 

“W-Wait!” Heehyun called. “Would you by any chance have some free time after the broadcast? I was thinking that you could come visit my house and---” 

“Yes. Whatever it is, if I’m going to be with you, the answer is yes.” Chaeyeon whispered before hanging up. “I really have to go now, bye!” 

The phone slid down from Heehyun’s hand as she let her body slide down the couch, squeezing the pillow. Heehyun pulled herself together. Among all of the work she had, she had a date with Jung Chaeyeon and she had to make it perfect. There was no time to mess around and squeal like a middle-schooler. 

But of course she would make it perfect. Heehyun was a professional, after all. 

---

A/N: Here's the second part! It was a short story, but I hope you enjoyed it ^^

I might add a new chapter or two, if I feel like writing more catchae, but I can't promise anything since I have other stories to work on keke