*Chapter Four*

Damage

     Kyungsoo yawned as he slowly stretched out his back. The marathon went on for a lot longer than planned,  but it left him in a decent enough mood. It also left him extremely hungry though. He checked the clock to see it was already past midnight.

“Hey Baek, is there any dining halls that are open this late?”

“Nah, only Lay’s diner by Hower Hall. You can’t use meal swipes for it though.”

Kyungsoo was hungry enough to consider the option.

“I’m gonna go get some food then, wanna come?”

“I’m too tired to walk~” Baekhyun whined. “But will you bring me back a grilled cheese?”

Baekhyun batted his eyes and gave Kyungsoo his best aegyo to convince him. Not that Kyungsoo would find it cute and give in, but rather be so disgusted by his friend that he would blindly agree. Kyungsoo groaned before promising Baekhyun his sandwich, the latter now adding a vanilla milkshake onto his order. Kyungsoo flipped him off and gathered his belongings and ran out the door. Baekhyun paused the show, not wanting Kyungsoo to miss any of the ametur bakers’ masterpieces and checked his phone.

Dickhead 11pm

Seriously dude? Are you that mad?

Dickhead 12am

I’m gonna kick your .

Baekhyun gulped audibly. He completely forgot about the frat boy outside.

    Jongin let out a loud groan when Suho failed to answer his phone for the eighth time. He wanted to just return home hours ago, but he feared for the safety of his well being and his food. He knew Suho would go out of his way to find Kyungsoo himself and make sure Jongin had apologized. He’s done it once before and Jongin still thinks about it at night, remembering the embarrassment. He was starting to contemplate murder when he heard the front door of the residence hall opening. He turned to see Kyungsoo finally exiting the dorm. Jongin began to prepare his “I’m sorry” face to seem genuine when Kyungsoo walked right past him. He stared in shock as the tiny boy continued on the path, completely ignoring Jongin’s existence.

“Yah!” Still Kyungsoo didn’t turn around. “Yah! Kyungsoo!”

The younger boy finally stopped and turned around, the look of shock on his face twisting into one of fear. He turned back around quickly and started speed walking away from the dorm.

“Oh no you don’t.” Jongin glared, chasing his retreating figure.

    Kyungsoo was practically being consumed by fear. In his anxiety driven brain he had thought up some crazy fantasy about Jongin coming to kill him because he yelled at him earlier. Kyungsoo started walking as fast as he can, wondering why he had to die so young. Unfortunately, his short legs were no match for the lengthy strides that Jongin was taking. The older boy grabbed ahold of Kyungsoo’s small shoulders and turned him around to face him, the younger boy screaming in the process.

“WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING!?” Jongin yelled, slightly scared himself.

“DON’T KILL ME!”

“WHY THE HELL WOULD I KILL YOU?” Jongin groaned. “OMG STOP SCREAMING! SHUT UP!”

Kyungsoo stopped hearing the anger rising in Jongin’s voice. Last thing he wanted to do was provoke him further.

“Would you like to explain why you’re running away from me?” Jongin crossed his arms waiting for the answer.

“I-I um…” Kyungsoo looked down and began fiddling with his fingers. “Ithoughtyouweregonnakillme.”

“Excuse me.”

“I thought you were gonna...kill me. Because I yelled at you earlier...”

“Oh my god...I’m dealing with a crazy person.” Jongin pulled his hands down his face dramatically. “I came to apologize for earlier, but if you’re just gonna confuse me for some murderer then I’m going home.”

Kyungsoo felt a pang of guilt as Jongin turned away from him. He wasn’t quite sure why, he felt as though he should still be mad at him. Yet, the older boy came to apologize and he returned the favor by screaming in his face. Kyungsoo’s mind began swarming with thoughts again. Maybe he should apologize as well? Maybe, he should just let Jongin leave and he might never talk to him again. Or maybe he’ll start to resent him and make his life a living hell. He took a deep breath and did his best to muster up some courage.

“W-Wait!” He cringed at his stuttering that he always hated. “I’m sorry!”

Kyungsoo felt relief when Jongin stopped, but the older boy still didn’t turn around, so he decided to continue explaining himself.

“I just...I tend to let myself overthink things and it can get out of control. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.

Jongin wasn’t sure if Kyungsoo was too nice or too stupid. Either way, this was his chance to get the apology over with and on with his life. He turned around with a fake smile plastered on his face. He walked over to Kyungsoo and let out a small chuckle, condescending in nature, yet it sounded purely innocent to Kyungsoo.

“It’s ok Kyungsoo! I overreacted too! How about we call it even?” He held out his hand and watched as the younger boy tentatively took a hold of it.

“Uhm, I still feel bad.” Jongin almost groaned again when Kyungsoo spoke. Can’t this guy just let things go? “I’m about to go eat, I can pay for your food to make up for it.”

Food. Jongin’s greatest weakness. He almost declined, when he realized that his frat brothers might have ate his share of take out when he was gone. Jongin was ALWAYS hungry and the thought of not being able to eat dinner genuinely broke his heart.

“That sounds good to me!”

    Jongin stared in horror at the lit up sign before him. Kyungsoo was going to Lay’s diner, he should have known. His luck was really running out recently. Lay was one of the few people on this campus that absolutely despised him. His judgemental looks bore right into the tan man’s soul.

“Are you coming?”

Kyungsoo’s voice grabbed his attention. The younger boy was waiting expectantly for him at the door. Jongin returned to his fake smile and followed Kyungsoo into the diner. As they sat at the bright red, plush booth Jongin could feel his shaky legs moving the seat. Luckily for him, Kyungsoo isn’t much of a talker. So instead of inquiring Jongin’s obviously nervous behaviour he scanned the menu, struggling to choose what he wanted to eat. Jongin grabbed his menu and sat it up, covering his face.  

“Hey welcome to Lay’s diner what can I get you guys?” A cheerful voice greeted them, but Jongin refused to look up.

“Can I get a number one with a chocolate milkshake?” Kyungsoo’s voice sounded higher than usual, an obvious nervous tone escaping from him. “Oh uh, and I need a number eight with a vanilla milkshake to go.”

“Sure no problem! I’ll bring the second order out with your check so it doesn’t melt.”

“Th-thank you!” Kyungsoo sounded a bit more comfortable than before.

“And for you?”

“Uh, I’ll eat the same as him.”

“Another number one coming up.” Jongin could still feel the man’s presence after he finished talking. “Uh, I’m sorry sir but can I take the menu from you?”

Jongin was screwed.

    Kyungsoo watched with curious eyes as Jongin refused to come out from behind his menu. The waiter seemed nice and patient, but even the younger boy himself felt embarrassed. Finally, Jongin slowly closed his menu and reluctantly handed it over. The bright smile on the waiter’s face instantly dropped into a strong grimace.

“Well if it isn’t the Seoul University Manwhore.” His sarcastic voice had an undertone of venom.

“Hey Lay, how’ve ya been?”

Sorry this update is so short! Although there is going to be some angst, I want this story to be mainly light hearted. Unfortunately, my mood hasn't been very lighthearted so it's been hard to write that way. I hope you guys still enjoyed this update though!! :)