Going To Mark Lee and Friends

Don't Diss My Ability

[Go with Mark and Chenle to meet their friends] START:

 

Renjun found himself staring longer at the boy sitting on the bench next to his friend, not for a second believing that what Mark had said about him was true - he had helped him earlier, after all. A light touch to his left wrist brought him out of his stupor, Mark’s concerned face entered his view. 

 

“Renjun? Come on, we need to go,” The other signed with his free hand, his lips moving along so that Chenle could understand as well. “They’re waiting.”

“Yeah…yeah, sorry,” He mumbled, not even bothering to sign before he was following the others to the cafe that he had scrolled past on the university’s website. Inside, he saw two other boys noisily fighting in a booth near the back of the small space. The shorter one had beautifully tanned skin, a shiny silver earring glinting in his right ear lobe as the other smiled adorably with his eyes curving upwards. Renjun gasped when he recognised the eye smiling male to be the incredibly handsome friend who had accompanied Mark to the administration building before his sign in. He was sure that Mark was chuckling at him as Chenle’s lips were moving too fast for him to comprehend any words - the other was probably explaining his situation to the other two. ‘It’s nice to meet you! I’m Donghyuck and this is Jeno!’ were the words that he was able to read from the tanned male’s lips, the other male’s - Jeno’s - eyes widening at his sentence before he was looking away from Renjun’s calculating stare.

 

Why won’t he look at me?

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Donghyuck,” He said back, making sure to smile and make eye contact with Donghyuck who smiled wide before playfully nudging Jeno’s side. “It’s great to meet you as well, Jeno.” Renjun didn’t miss the way that Jeno looked at him in surprise before his eyes softened and he smiled prettily, gesturing to the other side of the booth and his lips forming the words ‘take a seat’. He felt someone tap his shoulder before he was met face-to-face with a phone that read the message ‘Mark-hyung’s buying me a drink. Do you want anything?’

“Um…maybe just some iced tea?” He asked, looking at Mark in worry but was met with the other giving him a thumbs up before telling him to sit down with Chenle. Hesitantly, Renjun slid into the booth, he kept his eyes trained on a napkin in front of him - damp patches showing that it had been used - before someone tapped twice on top of the napkin. Looking up, he saw Jeno smiling slightly at him with - dare he say it - fondness lurking in his eyes as his lips made the words ‘so, how’s the university so far’.

“Big,” He said, sighing after, letting his shoulders drop and felt someone - Chenle - pat his shoulder. “I nearly got lost going to sign in.” He saw curiosity spark in Donghyuck’s eyes, the other’s smile becoming wider before his lips were creating the words ‘I go to sign ins too’ and ‘they’re pretty annoying, right’. Renjun let himself chuckle before he agreed and politely asked the other why he had to go for special provisions. ‘Ah’ was what Donghyuck’s lips formed next, followed by a simple ‘I got into an accident a few years back and now have a chronic disability’

“I…I’m sorry,” He apologised, bowing his head slightly before he felt Chenle tap lightly at his thigh, nodding towards Donghyuck who was replying to him. ‘It’s okay, don’t worry’ was what Donghyuck said next, his eyes kind and not containing an ounce of spite. ‘I just can’t write in exams because it hurts so I type and get extra time’ were the words that were formed next, Donghyuck looking proud of himself when he later stated that he was currently competing with Jeno for first place in biology. ‘You’re coming dead second, Hyuck’ were the words that Renjun caught from Jeno’s lips before everyone was talking at once and he didn’t know whose lips to read. He was more than grateful when Mark had come back with a tray of drinks, the older passing his disposable cup of iced tea before giving a cup marked with ‘hot chocolate’ to Chenle. He saw Mark’s fingers wriggle themselves in his view, the other clearly wanting some attention that Renjun gladly gave.

“You good there?” Mark signed with one hand while speaking, slightly worried look on his face and Renjun shyly looked away before replying but keeping his lips shut tight.

“Your friends all talk at once and I don’t know who to look at…” He trailed off, glancing around the table and letting his gaze linger slightly more on Jeno until the other male raised an eyebrow at him. When he looked back at Mark, the older was smirking before he smugly signed in reply.

“You’re not fooling me, Renjun,” Mark signed, thankfully keeping his lips shut before he slid next to Donghyuck and sipped on a cup that had ‘Americano’ written on it. “They’re just arguing over biology ranks. Jeno is coming first but Donghyuck wants to beat him super bad,” Mark signed, speaking at the same time to let the others know what was going on. “It’s not that important.” At this, Renjun could tell that they were screaming in protest since the predicament seemed to be very important for them to argue in this way. ‘And not only that, I’m a really good singer’ were the words that Donghyuck’s lips formed and Renjun nodded his head, remembering the small snippets of music that he remembered from a specific music light show that allowed him to see the notes. ‘Maybe I’ll sing for you sometime and you can give me feedback’ were what he read next and Renjun found his heart dropping at the fact that he wouldn’t be able to give Donghyuck any feedback…

 

…he wouldn’t even be able to hear the other’s voice - let alone him singing.

 

He saw Mark’s mouth moving quickly - the older probably giving a lecture or something similar - before he decided that he couldn’t sit there for any longer in case he felt more guilty for having such an inconvenient disability. He saw Donghyuck’s lips moving in an apology - didn’t even bother to read the words - and nodded his head, assured the other that it was fine and politely asked Chenle to stand so he could scurry out of the cafe with his untouched iced tea and a heavy heart. 

 

[~ ~ ~]

 

When he arrived at his dorms, however, he noticed another boy struggling to get his door open - the poor boy probably sighing in frustration and Renjun felt guilty since he probably wouldn’t be able to help him. 

 

He turned away when the boy met his eyes, his small ones sparked with hope and for once, Renjun was glad that he couldn’t hear for he wasn’t in the wrong if the other boy called out for him - he wouldn’t hear anything, anyway. 

 

He spent several minutes lying on his bed and regretting his decisions, the iced tea on his desk and long forgotten before a vibration in his pocket took him by surprise. 

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Hey, I’m really sorry about Hyuck

 

From: Mark Lee!!

He has a hard time with understanding how feelings work

 

From: Mark Lee!!

But I hope they didn’t scare you away?

 

Letting out a breathy laugh, Renjun shook his head before replying.

 

To: Mark Lee!!

its okay, I understand

 

To: Mark Lee!!

And no, I’m not scared of them

 

Renjun decided to omit the fact that Jeno seemed to be quite intimidating but only because the other was so good looking.

 

From: Mark Lee!!

That’s great!

 

From: Mark Lee!!

So uh…Jeno kinda wants your number

 

From: Mark Lee!!

Is it ok if I give it to him?

 

Renjun took a deep breath after reading the words on the screen as his brain struggled to answer the proposal. On one hand, he would be able to get to know the other, get to know the person behind the eye smiles and the protests as to why Donghyuck would never beat him in biology. However…

 

…Jeno was unfamiliar - a territory that he didn’t need to explore. 

 

Should Renjun [allow Mark to give Jeno his number] or [refuse to give his number]?

If you chose [allow Mark to give Jeno his number], please continue reading below.

If you chose [refuse to give his number], please scroll down until you see [refuse to give his number] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Allow Mark to give Jeno his number]:

 

Humming, Renjun bounced slightly on his bed as he laid there and typed his reply, hoping that Jeno wouldn’t be too freaked out by him.

 

To: Mark Lee!!

Sure, it’s okay ^_^

 

From: Mark Lee!!

SwEeT

 

From: Mark Lee!!

He’s a little awkward but he’s chill

 

He couldn’t repress the giddiness that arose within him, the boy who had helped him get to the administration long forgotten when he received a few short text messages from an unknown number.

 

From: Unknown

Uhhhh Renjun?

 

From: Unknown

This is Jeno, Mark-hyung gave me your number :)

 

Gasping loudly, he rolled over but miscalculated his distance from the wall when he banged his head against it. He let himself imagine that his dorm room neighbour asked if he was okay, mumbling out something incoherent before replying.

 

To: JENO

Right number :)

 

To: JENO

So hi

 

He couldn’t refrain from cringing internally, practically hearing his own sound of disgust that he must have made since he hated his messages that much.

 

From: JENO

Yeah hi hehe

 

From: JENO

I know Mark-hyung was meant to give you a tour but…

 

From: JENO

Do you know where everything is?

 

From: JENO

I’d like to get to know you better - you’re interesting

 

Renjun buried his head into his pillow and screamed to his heart’s content, not caring about whether his neighbours heard or not.

 

For Renjun, the night became a cycle of texting Jeno and receiving quite honest replies back - ones that made him scream endlessly until he felt his neighbour knock on their shared wall, the vibrations being a nuisance as he leaned against the wall and mumbled an apology in response.

 

Please scroll down until you see [Preview] START.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Refuse to give his number] START:

 

Sitting up and rubbing his eye slightly, Renjun shook his head to himself before he began to type a reply to the older.

 

To: Mark Lee!!

Sorry, I’m not that comfortable with him yet

 

From: Mark Lee!!

That’s okay!

 

He let himself sigh in relief since it didn’t seem like Mark hated him but he could never say the same about Jeno since he didn’t even chase this one opportunity to get to know the other.

 

From: Mark Lee!!

But give him a chance, okay?

 

From: Mark Lee!!

He really likes you :)

 

Renjun wished that he could stop that sudden intake of breath that invaded his lungs the minute he read that message - not being able to imagine anyone liking him. 

 

Let alone someone with an appearance like Jeno. 

 

To: Mark Lee!!

One day, just not now :)

 

Running a hand through his hair in frustration and throwing his phone on his bed before getting up to sit at his desk - the core ideas of animation somehow being very boring despite them being his passion. Letting his mind run free, Renjun took out his precious sketchbook where he often drew abstract art when his brain was too distracted to concentrate. It had started off as always - a small circle that he coloured in - before he began to draw more features - a curve above it, another small circle and a curve beneath both. With some more shading and lines, the small piece of abstract art began to take form in a human face. A straight but slightly large nose, a mole near the right eye and a brilliant smile that made him rub out the eyes he had drawn and replace them with thin curves. Once finished, he took his phone to check the time only to find out that three hours had passed and now he had a portrait sketch of someone who he had only twice and talked to once. Renjun simply sat on his bed with his back against the wall and screamed to his heart’s content - several knocks from his neighbour coming after a good ten minutes to which he mumbled a reply and finally let sleep wash over him with one lingering thought.

 

Would I still have drawn Jeno if I had just talked to him?

 

Please keep reading on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Preview] START:

 

Sketchbook in hand, Renjun walked blearily into the room of his first class the day after he had hung out with Mark and the older’s friends. The morning had been normal enough - adequate sleep, adequate battery on his laptop and he had seen his neighbour, a very tall first year who had waved off his apology awkwardly - but seeing only one other person in the room wasn’t the usual routine that he was used to. The boy had caramel-coloured hair that glinted as he rest his head on his folded arms, hunched over the desk in a way that would surely hurt his back. Worried, Renjun absentmindedly set his bag and book down on a desk near the front of the room and made his way over to the back where the boy was - taking light steps since he knew that just because he couldn’t hear himself, the other boy would surely hear him. He stepped closer agonisingly slowly, shaking the boy’s shoulder and crouching slightly. 

 

“Hey,” He said softly, eyebrows furrowing slightly as he saw the boy blearily up at him - his features being familiar until he was able to put a name to a face. “Na Jaemin,” He said in awe and saw the other boy blink at him and look away, his hand being brushed off the other’s shoulder. “Are you okay?” He asked and saw the boy sigh in frustration before Jaemin’s lips were moving fast and creating the words ‘if I was, I wouldn’t be crying before my class’. “I’m sorry,” He apologised, feeling guilty and looking away, taking a step back and moving to his seat when he felt a warm hand press against his thin wrist. Turning to look at the crying boy, Renjun could make out the words ‘I’m not what they say’ on his lips before the warmth was gone and Na Jaemin was wiping his tears with his hands. 

“I’m sure, you’re not,” He replied earnestly, giving the surprised boy a small smile before he turned around and walked to his seat. 

 

Today seemed to be full of surprises for Renjun when Na Jaemin had entered his peripheral vision and sat down in the seat next to him, a sheepish question of ‘no one’s sitting here, are they?’ to which Renjun simply shook his head to.

 

Please continue reading Chapter 11.

 

Chapter 11 will be updated within the next two months.