Who Is She?

Who Is She?
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Good morning, Meilian." Yanchen chirped once Meilian stepped off the bus and frowned upon seeing the male. "How did you know I was gonna be here?"

"You're location and Yankai mentioned you left later than you said."

"Ugh, you're both annoying."

"Well, I have to make sure you get home safely."

"The bus is right by the campus. I'm fine and Langfang's security is like one of the  best, Yanchen."

"Either way, I still need to make sure."

"Whatever. Nu Chi Phi is right there. You can go back to Iota Phi Theta now."

Meilian told him while pointing in the direction he can go as Yanchen chuckled.

"Alright, take care then."

"Bye."

The duo hugged before parting as Meilian returned to her sorority house on her own and was surprised to see Yanjun standing outside of it with two bags in hands. She smirked while climbing the steps not believing that Melanie was right about him. She fished her keys out of her pocket while eyeing Yanjun as he shot her a friendly smile.

"Meilian, good morning," He greeted her with a charming smile, "What perfect timing because now I don't have to wait."

"Actually, you'll still have to wait. Melanie's not gonna come down." Meilian informed him as she was about to insert the key into the door.

"Wait, what do you mean? How do you know I was waiting for Melanie?"

"Haha, I just do, Yanjun."

Melanie had sent a message in their NCP's group chat informing them that if Yanjun showed up at the door in the morning with breakfast to not let him in no matter what. So now it was Meilian who was the one that was the unfortunate soul who had to deal with Yanjun in the early hous of morning.

"Would you mind letting her know that I'm here?" Yanjun asked with a sweet smile while Meilian smirked. "She already knows."

"Oh, then she'll meet me?"

"Uh, no, bye."

Meilian deadpanned with a small laugh as she entered the house and closed the door on Yanjun after giving him a small wave not really feeling sorry for the guy with all the stories she has heard about him from Melanie's own mouth as well. She responded in the group chat about Yanjun before making her way up the stairs and entering her shared room with Shuang who was awake and chilling in bed.

"Did you sleep at all?" Meilian asked as Shuang rolled her eyes. "I did, but I just woke up to use the bathroom before you came in."

"So what did he bring for breakfast?" Shuang asked a moment later after putting her phone down and sitting up in bed with a smile. "I honestly never thought the day would come where Yanjun would be so whipped for a girl, but I'm glad that girl is Melanie though. He was totally into her since he set eyes on her."

"Actually, I dunno. I wasn't paying attention to it, but he was holding two bags though." Meilian answered after dumping her things onto her desk and changed into a tank and shorts before climbing into bed. "But me, too, and I know right."

Meilian checked her phone one last time before letting out a sigh. "Ugh, why can't he just stopped asking me about Lady Lotus."

Shuang turned over onto her back and looked over at her rommate. "Ziyi again?"

"Yes. I already told him that I don't know who she is."

"But she's really you."

"I know, but ugh. He's so bugging."

"Why don't you tell him that you're Lady Lotus?"

"I'll tell Ziyi I'm Lady Lotus when you tell Zhengting you're the girl with the black heart and yellow rose tattoo."

"Uh, never mind." Shuang turned her back to Meilian and snuggled into her bed. "Forget I said anything."

"That's what I thought." Meilian smirked before settling into her bed comfortably. "Anyways, I'm going to sleep, but can you wake me up before you leave?"

"Okay, yeah sure. Good night, Meilian." Shuang chuckled as she reached for her phone to set the alarm so that she'll have energy for her afternoon classes.

Shuang arrived to her first class of the day even though it was at two-forty in the afternoon, but she was super excited today than she would normally be. It was all because of one of her Nu Chi Phi sister would be attending the class due to some group issues from another class. Shuang didn't mind the people in her own class, but it was a lot better when she had someone that she knew and was really good friends with also taking it with her.

Shuang entered the classroom and immediately headed towards her own group of five others who were all male, so it was one of the many reasons on why Shuang was so happy for Serena to join her as it'll give her another female to work with. They happened to notice her chipper demeanor, to which they rarely saw as she was more stoic and reserve majority of the time, along with a seventh bubble tea drink when it was normally six.

"You're very happy today." Zhou Rui commented when Shuang handed him his drink while letting out a distracted hum. "Hmm?"

"Did you actually sleep well today that you got enough sleep more than usual?" Yanchen asked with a chuckle as he avoided Shuang's playful smack. "I always sleep well, Yanchen."

"Who's the other drink for?" Ziyi asked as he took a sip of his own bubble tea while Zhengting poked the said drink while also taking a sip of his own boba. "Is it for you so that you can stay up in class this time?"

"It's mine." Serena answered as she appeared beside Shuang and the two hugged which caused the other five to stare at them in shock.

"What are you doing here?" Xukun asked Serena upon seeing her and standing up so that he could hug her as well.

"I'm a part of this class starting today, but Shuang didn't tell me that you guys were a part of this class, too." Serena eyed Shuang as she cast her friend a playful smile. "I didn't? My bad. I thought I did."

"Shuang doesn't tell anyone anything. She just leaves notes or simple text messages regarding things related to the class or homework, but never about anything outside of that." Yanchen deadpanned as Shuang grinned at him. "That's right. Y'all don't need to know about what goes on with my life, anyways."

"Oh, I would beg to differ." Ziyi countered with a knowing smile as Shuang shot him a curious one. "And what would that be?"

"You're life is pretty interesting once you don't think so much about it."

"I feel like you know something I'm forgetting."

"Haha, I don't, but I heard stories from others."

"What kind of stories?"

"You're actually more happy-go-lucky when you're not out and about."

"Who told you that?"

"A few people from your sorority."

"Ugh, so annoying."

"Wait, Serena, are you the student that Mr. Hung was talking about last Thursday who'll be joining our class despite it being way later to do so?" Zhou Rui asked interrupting the conversation as Serena nodded. "Yup, that's me."

The now group of seven quieted themselves as Mr. Hung entered the room to start their lesson. While he talked and recapped from last week's lesson, the two women were whispering to themselves about other things not related to class.

"Why didn't you tell me Xukun was in this class, too?" Serena whispered as Shuang chuckled silently. "Does it really matter? I didn't know that you guys were gonna be an item so soon. I was betting over the summer y'all were gonna end up together."

"Bet with who?"

"The other girls."

"You've guys been betting on my love life?"

"Not just yours. Melanie's, Meilian's, and even Yandi. I'm sure the others have a bet about me, too. You included."

"Really?" Serena eyed her as Shuang shrugged with a small smile. "Who knows."

"Okay, true. I knew about the bet of the others, but not about me."

"Obviously."

"Whatever. There was something about Angela and Ming Peng, but everyone thinks they're just gonna be friends."

"I think so, too, but I'm still hoping they'll get together before school ends."

"Haha, I have it before the next school term. Anyways,I remember hearing something about you and someone."

"Who?" Shuang asked in high alert as she tried not to give herself away by looking at someone within their little group.

"I don't really remember who the guy was, but Kimberley was telling me that someone from I-P-T has been asking around and looking for a girl with a black heart and yellow rose tattoo," Serena shot her friend a knowing look, "And I only know one person in Nu Chi Phi that has such a tattoo, especially around the lower stomach and side area."

"Psh. I'm sure there are other girls who has such a tattoo, Serena, and probably in that said area."

"Not other girls, Ling Shuang. A Nu Chi Phi girl and you're the only N-C-P soror with said tattoo in said area."

"Shut up. I'm sure he doesn't know that that person is in a sorority, so you be quiet."

"Hey," Zhengting interrupted the two's conversation, "What are you two talking about over there ever so quietly?"

"Your face." The two answered in a nonchalant manner causing the others to laugh as Zhengting rolled his eyes. "I know I have a beautiful face, but you guys don't have to admire it in whispers. I'm all ears."

"Serena's been wondering how you do your eye make-up." Shuang lied trying to move the conversation elsewhere. "She's jealous because she can't get hers right like at all."

Serena playfully smacked her. "What? That's a lie. I don't even wear make-up."

"Well, Serena, if you need any tips, then just let me know because I think this one colo-" Xukun interrupted Zhengting. "Whoa, there, bud. Serena's fine and you're not gonna give her any tips while I'm still around."

"Don't be jealous, Kun. She's not even my type anyways."

"Oh, which reminds me. Have you found that one girl you''ve been looking for for like weeks now?" Ziyi asked Zhengting directing the conversation in another direction which caused Serena to shoot a knowing look in Shuang's direction who just signaled with her eyes to tell her friend to be quiet and not say anything.

"I'm pretty sure it's more than weeks now." Zhou Rui interjected. "I think Zhengting's been looking since winter break, right?"

"Winter break?!" Yanchen silently exclaimed. "You've been looking since that long and you still haven't found her. Wow."

"I have." Zhengting pouted. "But no one seems to know who she is. Maybe she doesn't even attend Langfang and was invited by someone who goes here."

"It was a mixer though." Xukun recalled. "Only those from a sorority or fraternity were allowed in unless she sneak her way in or someone brought her when they weren't supposed to."

"Oh she's not a random stranger as she does go here and is from one of the sororities." Serena muttered to herself, but somehow the others had heard her and were all looking at her. "Oh, did I say that out loud?"

"You know who she is?!" Zhengting asked excitedly while Shuang sent Serena murderous glares as to not say anything.

"I'm not sure, Zhengting. I might have mixed up the information. Why don't you refresh my memory?" Serena smiled innocently as Shuang continued to stay quiet while plotting on how to get away with murder.

As Zhengting refreshed Serena's memory, Ziyi who was sitting next to Shuang noticed her unusual quietness.

"You okay?"

"Hmm?" Shuang looked at Ziyi with a confused look. "Did you say something?"

"Yeah, are you okay? It seems like you were really focused on whatever you were thinking about."

"Oh, I was, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna execute it later."

"Wanna share?"

"Not unless you wanna be an accomplice."

Ziyi shot her an amused look. "An accomplice to what?"

"Murder." Shuang smiled, but Ziyi didn't believe her. "Yeah, right, Shuang."

"You don't believe me? I could be one."

"I know, but you're still too nice to actually go through with it."

"Says the one that is actually nice and would never ever contemplate it."

"Right, so no more negative thoughts, Shuang." Ziyi told Shuang as he ruffled her hair and she swatted his hands away. "Stop doing that or you'll never actually get a girlfriend because she thinks you're flirting with all your home girls."

"I would like to think otherwise since Yanjun was able to find one."

"Because Melanie puts him in his place."

"True."

"No, but seriously you gotta stop being overly nice to people, especially girls or the one you like might think you don't like her."

"I feel like your specifically speaking of a particular person."

"Why would you think that?"

"Because you always bring up this topic whenever I do something bro-like with you."

"It's not just me. You do it to Melanie and Serena, too. Even Meilian."

"But now they're taken, so it shouldn't matter. Well except Meilian and you." He smirked playfully. "Do one of you have a crush on me?"

"Yeah right. If I did, then she would kill me."

Ziyi frowned. "Who? Meilian?"

"Um, no one. I didn't say anything like specifically. I just meant that your future girl would kill me if I had a crush on you, but I don't." Shuang blabbered revealing her secret partially. "Besides, I like someone else."

"Ooh, who?"

"None of your business, Wang Ziyi. Now don't ask anymore about who it is."

"Fine, but hey," Ziyi remembered something, "Do you know who this Lady Lotus is that appears with Xingjie on his midnight Monday radio?"

Shuang paused for a second, but recovered. "Technically, I know of her, but not who she is if that's what you're asking."

"Oh, I thought you would know all the girls on campus."

"Seriously, don't believe everything that comes out of Serena's mouth. She just likes to mess with me like the others."

"Then do you know who would know her?"

"Have you tried asking Xingjie about her?"

"Yeah, but he told me this Lady Lotus told him to keep her identity a secret."

"Then I guess you'll just never know who she is."

"I guess not." Ziyi muttered in a sad tone and Shuang nudged him playfully. "Do you like her even though you don't know who she is?"

"What if I do?"

"That is so cute."

Ziyi regarded Shuang for a bit with an analytical expression. "Are you sure you don't know who she is?"

"Hey Shuang," Zhengting interrupted the duo as Shuang felt relieved by the sudden interruption as she turned her attention onto Zhengting once he spoke again, "Serena says you may know who the mystery girl is."

"Excuse me? What did she say?" Shuang asked with widened eyes while casting Serena a look as Serena nodded with a teasing smile. "Yeah, Shuang knows like all the girls on campus. She has a photographic memory and never forgets a face even if she doesn't know who they are."

"How come you haven't said anything when we were all talking about her when we came back from winter break?" Yanchen asked as Shuang came up with a lie. "It's because it's not my business about other people's situation, of course." She then dismissed the topic while gathering her things and standing up. "Anyways, can we not talk about Zhengting's love life. I'm sure Mr. Hung is gonna wonder why we haven't left to go to the library like the others by now. I'm gonna go first."

Shuang ran off with Serena giggling to herself knowing full well that Shuang was gonna do something to her later, but for now she basked in her friend's misery. Maybe Melanie was right about the joy of others' misery if it helps progress the feelings at hand.

Meilian woke to the sound of her alarm going off as she frantically searched for the source of it. She found her phone and ended up the alarm set for three-oh-five and wondered when did she ever set that one up. She sat up while moving to sit on the edge of her bed as she turned to look over at Shuang's empty bed.

"I thought I told her to wake me up before she leaves." She groaned while standing up and went to relieve herself before getting ready for ler late Tuesday's class.

While getting ready, Meilian noticed her phone flashing every so often and rolled her eyes while putting up her hair. "Does that kid not have some extracurricular after school to attend to besides bothering me?"

She shook her head as she reached for her phone to check her message after she was satisfied with how her hair was done. She left her room and began to head to class as she scrolled through the messages of her little brother reminding her that she still needed to provide her vocals for his music project by Friday or he'll get a D for a half-finished project.

"I know that already." Meilian mumbled as she replied back to him before placing the mobile device into her pocket and exited the sorority house. As she made her way down the steps she was greeted by Xingjie as the duo walked in the same direction together.

"Y'know, I love my brother and all, but you and the gang don't have to keep a watch on me for his sake's." Meilian informed the male as he laughed. "Well, Yankai means well and is just making sure that his big sister is well taken care of."

"I know. Yanchen already made sure I arrived safely to my sorority house this morning when I came back later than normal. I really feel like my brother has a tracker on me or something."

"It's because you have your location on, that's why, Meilian." Xingjie reminded her as he laughed again while he swung an arm around Meilian's shoulder. "Just think of it as your very own protection squad."

"I'm pretty sure you're the ones that need it as how Iota Phi Theta is a pretty popular fraternity as of late if I recall from your ever so popular scavenger hunt."

"Yeah, but someone still owes me dinner for ditching me on my Monday night midnight radio special guest appearance."

"I thought you said it was gonna be next Monday night, not yesterday's night."

"You need to check your calendar more often or I'm not gonna buy you late night snacks during our radio jams."

"Whatever. It's not like you're special or anything, Xingjie."

"I know. You already have a special one reserved already."

"I do not. Shut up about that."

"Why? I think by now you would have let him know about your feelings."

"He doesn't need to know and I'm pretty sure he isn't interested anyways."

"How do you know?"

"Because I just do. Now, what did I say about mentioning that or him? Hmm?"

"That you'll treat me out every time it's brought up."

"What? No I did not. Liar."

Xingjie laughed as Meilian pushed him away from her, but he returned back to his original position before she did that.

"Okay, okay. I'm kidding. Sheesh. You're so violent. Ziyi might not like that."

"No I'm not and shut up about that name."

Meilian denied although she elbowed him away from her as he feigned injury by grabbing at his side like it was in pain.

"I'm gonna have to bill you all of my medical incidents this whole semester."

"Yeah, right. That's all on you."

"Maybe I'll forward the bills to him. I don't think he'll mind since he's been wanting to know the voice of Lady Lotus."

"Stop. But why does he wanna know?"

"He likes your voice and wants to meet you."

"That's awkward, but no you can't tell him."

"Why not? You think he's not interested, but he is."

"He just wants to know Lady Lotus, not Zhang Meilian."

"Well, if you just let me tell him, then maybe it's really just you since he doesn't know it's the same person."

"Ugh, shut up, Xingjie."

"I know you know that I'm right about this."

Meilian didn't reply back and ignore her friend. They finally came to their building and Meilian shot Xingjie a smile resuming talking to him again even if for a little bit. "Okay, our path ends here. I'll see you next week."

Xingjie rolled his eyes as waved her off. "We have class together tomorrow morning, dummy. I don't know why you always do that."

"Because I can. See you later, Huba!"

"What did I say about calling me that?!"

"That you'll treat me out every time it's brought up! Huba! Huba! Huba!"

Meilian stuck her tongue out at him as she ran up the steps to her classroom as Xingjie rolled his eyes. "This girl."

Shuang had left the library earlier than normal so that she could get something to eat before her next class as it would be a three hour one. Also, she didn't want any of the others asking her questions regarding the mystery girl that Zhengting was still in search of. Shuang knew that she should have reminded Serena not to mention any of that, but forgot all about it as the boys never really brought it up in class since then.

Shuang let out a sigh as she ran a hand through her hair while making her way to the campus' cafeteria. While thinking of what to purchase, she didn't hear someone calling her name until she felt someone nudging her. Shuang looked to her left and saw that Zhengting was matching her pace while catching his breath. She internally screamed and knew that it was probably Serena who told him that she had just left.

"What's up, Zhengting?" Shuang coolly asked before facing forward again.

"I just wanted to know if you could tell me about that girl with the heart and rose tattoo." Zhengting answered while hoping that Shuang could provide him with some clues to go on as he's been stuck with this girl on his mind since then.

"I don't know much about her so I can't really tell you anything, Zhengting."

"You must know something."

"Why are you so keen on finding her? Didn't you just like slept with her because you were drinking too much?"

"That's none of your business."

"Okay then."

Shuang quicken her pace, but Zhengting matched her once more and grabbed her elbow to slow her down so that they could talk.

"Alright, sorry, but can't you just tell me something?" He pleaded as Shuang let out a deep breath while removing her elbow from out of his grasp. "Sorry, Zhengting, I really can't. Serena just likes saying stuff that isn't true. I don't know who the girl is even though I do have somewhat of a photographic memory, but it doesn't mean I know anything about others. Sorry. See you Thursday."

Shuang didn't give Zhengting time to respond as she rushed away leaving him to stare after her although she was feeling slightly guilty as she really did know, but wasn't sure if he was looking for the mystery girl only to tell her that it was a mistake. In Shuang's mind, she felt like for her it wasn't a mistake at all as she could recall the deep conv

Please log in to read the full chapter