An Unwanted Date

After a Dream

“Sooo,” Jackson said, twirling his truck keys around his finger. “I need a favor.”

 

“No,” Mark said, not even bothering to look up from the counter where he was wiping off a smear of sour cream. He'd been down this road far too many times with Jackson. There was no reward for doing something Jackson asked for, ever. In fact, there were usually long-lasting consequences. Last time it had been being the designated driver for a campus party Jackson had been invited to, and he was still trying to get the smell of vomit out of the truck weeks later.

 

“You know how I've been using that dating app recently?” Jackson barreled on, ignoring Mark. “Well, the results are in. I had the date of a lifetime last night, and your boy Jackson is now the property of the hottest guy this world has ever spawned. I have met The One.”

 

“Good job,” Mark said, grabbing some kitchen cleaner and spraying down the counter.

 

“Shocked, right? Didn't think I had it in me, did you? And this isn't just any guy, either. He is a god among men. He is finer even than me, if you can believe that. Here, I'll show you a picture.” He his cell phone in Mark's face. Mark glanced down briefly. The guy in question was quite attractive in a cold beauty sense, with a well structured face and small but intense eyes. Mark didn't get why someone like that would be interested in his pain in the best friend, but Jackson had his own arsenal of charms when he wanted to be charming. At least this meant he wouldn't be whining about all the bad dates the app had led him to anymore for the time being.

 

“Congrats,” Mark said before resuming his cleaning.

 

“Yup, life's a bed roses right now,” Jackson said in a dreamy voice. “There's just one itty bitty, teeny weeny problem, and that's why I need your help.”

 

“The answer is still no.”

 

“The thing is,” Jackson carried on, ignoring him again, “I had already planned another date on the app before this. You know, because the dates are usually bust, so it's good to have another one on the line up. But now that I'm a taken man, I can't possibly go on a date with someone else.”

 

“So cancel it. I'm sure that happens a lot on these app things.”

 

“I tried to, but the guy had already made the reservations and everything. I felt pretty terrible about that, but it would just feel so wrong to go. Like, you can't have hot nasty with one guy all night and turn around and go out to dinner with another guy the next night even if it's just a courtesy, right?”

 

Mark's eyebrows shot up. “You already hooked up after one date?”

 

“Trying to shame me, Tuan?”

 

“I would never try to shame someone who has none, Wang.”

 

“Of course I hooked up with Jaebum! I mean, you saw what he looks like! After we wrap up here tonight, I'm going back over to his place for Round 2. Or technically, Round 5.”

 

“What does any of this have to do with me?”

 

“I'm getting to that! Since the other guy had reservations, I couldn't just abandon him completely. It was for a nice restaurant, you know, and I didn't give him enough advance warning to find someone else to go with. So I thought I'd...supply...someone else for him.”

 

Mark froze mid cleaning off one of his knives. “Jackson, you didn't.”

 

“Uh...would you mind setting down that knife?”

 

“You didn't, did you?”

 

Jackson laughed nervously. “But the thing is, he's really cute, all right? Like, freaking cute. I think he may actually be your type. If you actually have a type anymore. And I sent him your picture to ask if it would be OK if you went with him instead, and he seemed into the idea...”

 

“Well, I'm not into the idea!” Mark yelled, waving his knife. “Are you ing kidding me? You're forcing me to go on a date with a total stranger just because you're too passive to cancel properly?”

 

“But he's cute,” Jackson protested, as if that made it all better. “Come on, have you even been on a date since high school? Isn't it time to scrape off the rust and get back in the game?”

 

“With a stranger who matched with you? No thank you.”

 

“Hey, he swiped on me by accident. I just pressed him for a date because he's super cute, like I keep on trying to tell you. And now I'm passing those cute guy benefits onto you. You should be thanking me!”

 

“For setting me up on a date without my permission?” Mark groaned in annoyance. “I'm not going to do it. Cancel it.”

 

“I can't cancel it! The date is in half-an-hour.”

 

“HALF-AN-HOUR?” Mark stared at him incredulously. “Jackson, I'm wearing an apron with a taco version of PacMan on it, smell like guacamole, and I haven't even finished closing up the truck yet. Plus, I'm NOT GOING.”

 

“Step one: take the apron off. Step two: use some cologne. Step three: just close the freaking truck right now, you've already killed every single germ that might have potentially existed a thousand times. Step four: do something spontaneous for once in your life and go out with the guy. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to stand a guy this cute up, OK?” He his phone in Mark's face a second time. This time the screen showed a dating profile of a twenty-year old guy named Park Jinyoung. And much to Mark's annoyance, Park Jinyoung was cute. He had a nice face, sweet and warm with deep eyes that wrinkled a little at the corners. He had a kind of “boy next door” vibe going for him, but there was a spark of mischievousness in his eyes which kept him from looking too clean cut.

 

“Adorable, right?” Jackson asked encouragingly.

 

Mark stubbornly pushed the phone away. “Jackson. Realistically speaking, I can't go on a date.”

 

“Why not? The restaurant is just three minutes from here, and you've got wheels.” He smacked the side of Mark's food truck, GuacMan. “Maybe not the best to roll up to a swanky restaurant with, but beggars can't be choosers.”

 

“I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about going on a date.”

 

“Oh. Well, I already warned him you hate people, and he didn't say no.”

 

“I don't hate people.”

 

“Oh yeah? Name one person you like.”

 

“You?”

 

Jackson looked shocked. “You actually like me? I thought you were only putting up with me?”

 

“Since elementary school?”

 

“That totally seems like something you'd do, though! Putting up with me indefinitely while actually intensely hating my guts in that dark and shadowy head of yours.”

 

“Well. I don't hate people. I just don't like one-on-one social settings with people I don't know.”

 

“All right. Fair enough. Just go for the food then and let the poor guy talk at you. Just give it a shot, all right? You never know with these things. I mean, I certainly didn't know I was going to reel in my one true love last night and that he would be so ing hot, but look at me now!” He wiggled his eyebrows. “It's seriously getting too late to cancel, anyways. You should be heading over.”

 

Mark buried his head in his hands and counted to three. He really did not want to do this. It wasn't that he was aromantic, just that he hated the whole cycle of it. Getting to know someone, growing attached, exhausting all that time and effort and emotion just to have it end out of nowhere when you were finally getting comfortable. He'd devoted years of his life to the last person he'd dated only to have it announced their family was moving across the country and had no immediate plans to come back. Three years of dating had ended in an abrupt, borderline casually delivered break up. All that time, all that connection, and it was all gone in an instant, like a beautiful dream vanishing in the morning and leaving only the cold grip of reality. After that, he simply couldn't summon the energy for it again. He didn't want to.

 

But this doesn't have to be like that, he reminded himself. It's just one date. You can nip it before it begins. Just show up, pay your dues, and leave. You'll never have to see him again.

 

He lifted his head, sighing in frustration. “I'll go. This once. But if you ever try to pull this on me again, Jackson Wang, I swear to god—”

 

“I won't, I won't,” Jackson said, waving his hands in surrender. “We don't have time to be arguing this, anyways. You're going to be late, and I've got a fest to attend. Jinyoung will be waiting for you at Après un Rêve. Hope you like French.”

 

Après un Rêve? Isn't that a song?”

 

“Dunno. But it's also a restaurant, a pretty nice one, so don't forget to put that cologne on.” Jackson bounded over to his own food truck, Wang Chinese, and got in the driver's seat. “Have a good time!”

 

Mark heaved another sigh, and pulled down the window shutter to finally close up the concession counter. He was pretty sure a spray of cologne and taking off his GuacMan apron wasn't going to rescue his impression for the night, but perhaps that would be for the best. He had no desire to catch anyone's interest, even the interest of someone cute like Jinyoung. He resolved to simply enjoy a good meal and absolve Jackson of all guilt for having bailed. Once that was done, he could bail himself. No more strings. It would be that easy.

 


 

Mark's practically non-existent enthusiasm for the situation waned even further when he pulled into the parking lot of Après un Rêve. He'd never eaten there before, and for a good reason—it was the kind of classy restaurant he couldn't possibly afford on his budget. Which was saying something considering he actually had a steady part-time job unlike a lot of his university schoolmates who were fulltime students. He had a feeling a maître d' was going to burst out of the restaurant at any second and demand he turn his tacky food truck around and never return.

 

And what did that say about Jinyoung, that he'd planned to take Jackson out to such a nice restaurant? Didn't that mean he was actually pissed that his intended date had bowed out and gotten himself another boyfriend in the process, and that he'd probably take his anger out on Mark the whole night?

 

Mark took a breath and hopped out of the truck. Whatever the case was, better just to get the whole thing out of the way. He was already late, and as soon as Jinyoung laid eyes on him in the faded flannel he'd tossed over his taco-meat stained t-shirt and equally stained jeans, he'd probably want to end the 'date' early, too.

 

Mark swung the door open and was greeted by the sight of the guy from the dating profile waiting for him in the reception area. His picture hadn't done him justice by far—in person, he was even more attractive in a way that could have been intimidating if he hadn't had such a warm smile. And that smile seemed to be ready and waiting for him as soon as Jinyoung met his eyes, spreading across his features as if it was only natural to show such a tender welcome to someone he hadn't exactly signed up to spend an evening with. He was also dressed quite nicely in a freshly ironed dress shirt and immaculate dress pants, looking every inch the kind of prince-like character girls were always swooning over in their webcomics and manhwa.

 

Mark froze in place, instantly feeling awkward. What was he supposed to do now, confronted by that kind of friendly smile? Was turning around and fleeing for his truck an option? Something in his stomach felt odd, like it was flipping over or churning, and he knew instinctively that he was out of his depth and couldn't possibly make it through dinner without making a complete fool of himself.

 

But it was too late. Jinyoung was walking toward him, still smiling. “Mark?” he asked. There was something about his voice that unsettled Mark further. It was rich to the point to where even just one word seemed filled with emotion. If he wasn't being delusional. He was probably being delusional. He blinked a few times, trying to clear his head and most likely making himself look crazy in the process.

 

“Yeah,” he said. His own voice came out in a pitiful murmur. “That's me.”

 

“Great. I'm glad you came. I would have understood if you didn't, but I'm glad you did.” He stuck his hand out. “I don't know how much Jackson actually told you about me, but I'm Park Jinyoung. It's nice to meet you.”

 

Mark took his hand, about to give it a quick and obligatory shake, but Jinyoung grabbed it firmly enough to where he couldn't let go quickly. He lifted his eyes to meet Jinyoung's for a moment, then looked away. “Nice to meet you, too,” he mumbled.

 

Jinyoung released him slowly. “Our table is ready. I'm glad you made it when you did—they were going to give it away to someone else in a few minutes. Shall we?”

 

Mark numbly followed Jinyoung and the maître d' to a table in the back corner of the room. It was a nice set up—there was an actual tablecloth covering the table, and there were candles in the center along with a small floral display piece. The atmosphere practically screamed romance, which made Mark feel even weirder about replacing Jackson when Jinyoung had apparently gone all out in planning this date.

 

“You were going to bring Jackson here?” he couldn't help but ask in mild bewilderment as they took their seats.

 

“It's really no big deal,” Jinyoung said, waving his hand. “My sister is a manager here. I'm getting a discount.”

 

“Then wouldn't it have been easy just to cancel your reservation?”

 

“Uh, honestly speaking, Jackson introduced the idea of bringing you instead before I could even mention it.”

 

“And you didn't stop him?” Mark hoped his annoyance wasn't leaking out too much.

 

Jinyoung simply tilted his head, a bit of hair falling into his eyes. “Clearly I didn't.”

 

Mark wanted to know why, but knew that he was on the verge of coming across as an interrogator, and an incredibly grumpy one at that. He snapped his mouth shut, keeping his anger to himself. He'd unleash it later on the more appropriate target of Jackson Wang.

 

“Have you ever eaten here before?” Jinyoung asked, opening the menu. “I can give you some recommendations with my insider knowledge.”

 

Mark shook his head. The only French food he could think of off the top of his head was caviar.

 

“Right. Your specialty is Mexican.”

 

“How did you know that?”

 

“Jackson mentioned it. He said cooking was one of your good points.”

 

“What else did he say?”

 

“That you probably won't want to talk to me very much and that you have a terrible attitude but that you're hot enough to make up for it.” Jinyoung smiled a little. “His words, not mine.”

 

“So cooking was the only good point he bothered to mention other than what I looked like?”

 

“He also told me that in spite of your terrible attitude, that you're still one of the kindest and most genuine people he knows. I thought that was a pretty ringing endorsement.”

 

Mark was somewhat surprised that Jackson had said so. But then again, Jackson knew him better than anyone. Mark didn't have the same kind of barriers with Jackson that he had with everyone else, and when they hung out, he never worried too much about what he did or said the way he did with everyone else.

 

“I recommend the canard à la mangue,” Jinyoung said, pointing to it on the menu. “If you like duck, it's probably the best thing on the menu.”

 

Mark gave a little nod. He couldn't translate the rest of the menu, so he decided to take Jinyoung's word for it.

 

“As for me, I'm in a steak tartare mood. A little less classy, but still good. Have you reached the drinking age? The wine here is good, so we could have some if you want. Not too much, though. You'll need to drive home.”

 

Mark nodded. Even if he couldn't get drunk, he had the feeling he'd need a little bit of help to get through the night.

 

Jinyoung placed their order, and then it was just the two of them with silence to fill. Mark squirmed in place, his eyes darting around the room. What did people even say on dates? Was this the part he was supposed to spew out meaningless factoids about himself until Jinyoung decided he was too boring to endure anymore?

 

“So I'm really curious,” Jinyoung said, seemingly untroubled by the awkwardness of the atmosphere. “How did you and Jackson get food trucks?”

 

“A bet,” Mark said. He was a little surprised this was the first question he'd have to answer. He'd been expecting one of the basics: school, hobbies, family, the fact that he was a non-Korean living in Korea. “We worked at a salvage yard when we were eighteen, and the two trucks ended up there. Jackson was going on about how running a food cart would be a fun thing to try, and our boss joked that he'd give them to us if we managed to get them working before they were scheduled to be scrapped.”

 

“You worked at a salvage yard?” Jinyoung asked, looking amazed. “That's not your standard part-time position.”

 

“Yeah, well that's what happens when you put Jackson in charge of sending out applications.”

 

“You guys actually won the bet?”

 

“Yeah. I mean, we worked surrounded by replacement parts, so it wasn't that hard. And once we had managed to win them for free, it would have been a waste not to use them.”

 

“But you had to get licensed and certified and all that, right?”

 

Mark nodded. That had been the time consuming part.

 

“That's seriously impressive. Meanwhile I just work at the local library twice a week after school, doing readings in the children section. Pretty standard stuff. You and Jackson are real entrepreneurs.”

 

“If you were really looking forward to going out with him, I'm sorry,” Mark said. It felt like he needed to put that out there. “We have things in common, but personality-wise, we're opposites. He would have told that story in a really funny and interesting way. If he were here, you'd be laughing hysterically right now.”

 

“I wouldn't say 'excited',” Jinyoung said. “I mean, he sounded interesting, but so do a lot of people. And it's not as if you aren't interesting either. It's not every day I get to meet someone my age with their own taco truck and...” He trailed off. “I guess you never know what you're looking for until you find it, right? It's good to meet all kinds of people instead of more of the same.”

 

“Hmm,” Mark said. That was all well and good for Jinyoung, who was actively looking for someone. He wondered what kind of person someone like Jinyoung would decide was the perfect fit. Someone as put together as Jinyoung himself was? Someone smart and diligent?

 

“I checked, and you didn't have a dating profile on the app,” Jinyoung continued. “I was just wondering if you usually relied on Jackson to set you up.”

 

“God no,” Mark said, a little too directly. “He'd be the last person I'd trust to do that.”

 

Jinyoung blinked, at last looking a little caught off guard. “Uh...I don't know how to tell you this...”

 

“This...this is...it was...” Mark fumbled for the right thing to say other than 'he sprang this on me at the last minute and I couldn't find a way out of it.' “I mean, I wasn't really in the market to begin with. I wasn't actively looking. So because he knows that, I was a little bit surprised when he asked me to do this tonight, and I thought...”

 

“Ah, so it made you curious?” Jinyoung finished. It wasn't the exact right answer, but better than the one that was actually correct. “Why aren't you on the market?”

 

“I...don't really...enjoy dating. I guess? I had a bad experience.”

 

“Well, I can't exactly blame you for that. Most of the dates I've been on since joining the app have been pretty terrible. I was seriously thinking of deleting it.”

 

“Why didn't you?”

 

“Jackson started messaging me two seconds before I pressed the delete button. I thought it was like a sign, or something.”

 

Mark winced. “And then he hooked up with someone else.”

 

“Maybe the sign wasn't about Jackson. Maybe it was something else. Anyways, I think I was trying to give up too early to begin with. Wading through all the bad dates is just part of the process. You shouldn't write yourself off either.”

 

“I don't know. It's not that part that I don't like.”

 

“Which part don't you like, then?”

 

“The ending. And when the ending ruins the start.”

 

“Huh. Well, you're not wrong about that. An ending is never fun.” Jinyoung's eyes swept over his face, and Mark's feeling of awkwardness increased. He wished the food would arrive, but it hadn't actually been that long since they'd ordered it.

 

He rose to his feet. “Bathroom,” he said, pointing vaguely off into the distance.

 

Jinyoung sighed, his eyes growing a little downcast. He was probably marking it down as another bad date in his head. “Go on.”

 

Mark slipped into the men's room and locked himself into one of the toilet stalls. He noted that there was a window near the sink he could escape out of if it came to that. Jackson would kill him, but since he was going to kill Jackson for dragging him into this, it didn't really matter anyways. He hated being here and wasting Jinyoung's time like this when Jinyoung seemed like a genuinely sweet person. He hated that he was going to be another disappointment to someone who was putting so much effort into finding the person who fit with him. And he didn't like it that when Jinyoung did find that person, this pitiful date with Mark would probably be one of the hilarious anecdotes he'd share with the lucky guy. Mark imagined said lucky guy as a ridiculously hot guy, muscular and inexplicably shirtless. Someone like Rain, or something. He thought of that kind of guy laughing with Jinyoung over wine and steak tartare over what a joke Mark Tuan was. He slammed his head into the stall door a few times as punishment for letting his mind go there.

 

But fleeing out the men's room window would just make the eventual embarrassing story that would be told when Jinyoung found The One all the more embarrassing. He couldn't do that. He'd have to go back out there and struggle through the rest of it, even though his stomach felt like he was suffering from a very bad case of indigestion.

 

Squaring his shoulders, he went back to their table. Jinyoung actually looked surprised to see him, though he disguised it with a quick smile. “You're back,” he said. He really had an unfairly velvety voice.

 

“Yup,” Mark said. He felt even more humiliated that Jinyoung had thought he might run off, even though he had almost done exactly that.

 

“I'm glad.” He actually sounded like he genuinely meant it, too. “I wanted to ask about what made you decide on Mexican food, too.”

 


 

It wasn't as terrible as he thought it would be. That was what Mark determined about halfway through the meal. Jinyoung was one of those Good People who actually listened when you talked and encouraged you to say more. And when Mark started to get tired of talking, Jinyoung quickly picked up the slack and actually said interesting things. He wasn't condescending, self-centered, mindless, or obnoxious. He didn't check off a single box of the traits that Mark avoided at all costs—and Mark tended to avoid a lot of things.

 

The only thing that bothered Mark a little was that he reminded him too much of his ex. Which didn't make sense. The two of them didn't have much in common other than having nice voices to listen to and being genuinely friendly and kind. Jinyoung was far more subtle and deliberate, and, most noticeably, quiet. But the comfortable and almost soft feeling they gave off was very similar, and it kept Mark on edge even though it should have soothed him. He absolutely did not want anything that felt like that again. That was exactly why he didn't want to date in the first place.

 

Still, Jinyoung did manage to coax some smiles and laughs out of him as they worked through the dinner. Mark wasn't averse to enjoying himself, as long as it was on the right terms.

 

“So, I'm wondering what you're like at school,” Jinyoung was saying now. He'd finished his steak tartare and his wine, but was showing no signs of ending the evening just yet, which Mark wasn't sure if he was happy or annoyed by. “I don't get the feeling you're a club activity kind of guy, but I think you must be pretty studious, right?”

 

Mark shrugged. “I get good grades, but you're right about the club thing. I'm more focused on running GuacMan.

 

“Is that what you call your food truck? That's a cute name.”

 

“Hmm.”

 

“What's your guess as to what I'm like at school?”

 

“Perfect grades. Perfect everything.”

 

“Wrong. I'm not even close to perfect. I just try.” He stopped talking for a moment, simply looking at Mark with an unreadable look in his eyes. Mark still had no idea what Jinyoung thought of this entire set up. He wasn't fully sure anymore what he thought of it. He was pretty sure he actually liked talking to Jinyoung, but also pretty sure he was OK with it ending at that and never being spoken of again. It would be so easy to go back to the way things were before and forget such a person as Park Jinyoung ever existed in the world.

 

Mark made a point of deliberately looking at his watch. “Um. It's getting late.”

 

“Ah, right. We shouldn't be staying up too late on a school night.” Jinyoung rose to his feet. “Ready to go?”

 

“Aren't you forgetting the check?”

 

“Already taken care of,” Jinyoung said. “I told you, I arranged it with my sister.”

 

“Shouldn't I pay for my half?” Mark asked, a little alarmed.

 

“Don't worry about it. You were probably inconvenienced by this, so look at this as me...making up for that.” Jinyoung smiled at him, and Mark felt a bit of his earlier feeling of indigestion returning. He felt like he should protest further, but let it go.

 

They walked outside together, and there was a moment of awkwardness as Mark wondered what he was supposed to say. Nice knowing you? Sorry for wasting your time?

 

But Jinyoung had spotted GuacMan in the parking lot and gasped in delight. “That's such a cute design! Taco PacMan? But aren't you worried about copyright infringement?”

 

“I'd be shocked if anyone concerned ever found out about my dinky business and cared enough to sue me,” Mark said with a shrug.

 

“Did you paint it yourself?”

 

“No. My friend BamBam did it.”

 

“Well. He did a very good job with it. It must be nice to have your business on wheels.”

 

“Where are you parked?”

 

“I don't have a license, actually,” Jinyoung admitted. “I don't live that far from here, so I was going to walk.”

 

Mark frowned. It was pretty late. It definitely wouldn't be ideal for Jinyoung to walk home by himself, especially considering the possibility of drunk drivers on the street. However, the only alternative was offering him a ride home.

 

But what would be so bad about that?, Mark reminded himself. You survived an entire dinner with him. What would a few more minutes hurt?

 

“I'll take you home,” he said before he could second guess himself. “As long as you can navigate me there.”

 

Jinyoung looked momentarily surprised by the offer. “You're sure?”

 

“Yeah. It's no problem.”

 

“...OK.”

 

Mark unlocked the truck and Jinyoung hopped into the passenger seat. He glanced behind him, eyes widening in amazement at the carefully arranged equipment and tools in the back. “It smells like you,” he said, inexplicably.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I mean, you smell like Mexican food. And so does the truck.” Jinyoung winced a little at this explanation—finally he was matching Mark for awkwardness. It actually made Mark feel a little relieved. “Sorry, I don't know why I said that.”

 

“It's true, I guess.”

 

“It's a good smell. Makes me hungry.” He winced again. “God. I think I'm going to shut up for a bit.”

 

“You need to give me directions.”

 

“Right. I'll do that. Turn right out of the parking lot and head down the main road a bit. I'll let you know when you reach my street.”

 

They drove in silence. Mark was feeling a bit contemplative. He wasn't as pissed as he thought he'd be. He didn't really even feel like killing Jackson anymore. If he had to describe it, it felt like he was having an out of body experience. Like this evening belonged in the life of someone else, and when he woke up in the morning, it would have already been erased from his real world. And though that wasn't the case, it wasn't that far off either. They probably wouldn't be seeing each other again, and the next time Jinyoung tried for a date at Après un Rêve, it really would be with someone else, part of another story.

 

Après un Rêve...he'd learned a little bit of French once, but couldn't remember what that meant. Après meant 'after', he remembered. 'After' something. He didn't know what came after 'after'. Not that it mattered. It was just easier to think of that 'after' instead of what was waiting for him after this.

 

Jinyoung's house was a very short drive, and it ended almost as soon as it had begun. Jinyoung unbuckled his seatbelt, and Mark was once again left to wonder what to say. Would a simple “goodnight” suffice along with a “it was nothing” if Jinyoung thanked him?

 

But Jinyoung surprised him by not saying anything, not even a “thanks for the ride.” Instead he turned to Mark and took one of his hands in both of his, squeezing it gently. He fixed Mark in his gaze, and though there was something familiar in his look, there was something terrifyingly unknown. Mark felt goosebumps budding on his skin, but for once he didn't look away. It felt like Jinyoung was somehow challenging him not to.

 

After what was probably a few seconds, though it felt like an hour, Jinyoung released his hand and smiled softly. “Sweet dreams, Mark,” he said. With one last parting smile, he opened the door and shut it behind him without another word. Mark watched him blankly as he entered his house and at last was out of sight.

 

Mark leaned his head against the headrest, his whole body feeling strange, half buzzing with nerves, half entirely numb. “What the was tonight, even?” he whispered. Even the sound of his voice unnerved him. Everything felt weird, like it had been nudged just slightly out of place from how it had been.

 

He sat there a moment, then turned the key in the ignition and backed up to head back to his own place. He wasn't sure what kind of dreams he'd be having tonight, but he hoped that he wouldn't remember them in the morning and that when he opened his eyes again, everything would be back to normal.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Ooooh, I love starting new stories! Can't wait to hear what you guys think~

Chapters will be weekly every Monday :D