Wrong Intersection

Half-Century Angel

Opening her eyes, Naeun first saw a big and round moon up in the sky. That quiet silver light shone through the windshield into the car. The surroundings were so silent that only the sound of insects and her heart beats could be heard. She tried to move her finger. It is still real and intact, she hadn't die yet. She could feel her whole body collapsing, her bones and muscles are terribly painful. It was as if her body had just been separated into pieces, but is now stuck back together again. She has a slight feeling that it wasn't her body anymore.

She turned her head slowly to find Eunji beside her, still unconscious. 

She raised her right arm with difficulty and pushed Eunji. Just as she wanted to open and call her, she discovered that was so dry that no sound came out, and it feels as if all the water in was drawn out. She swallowed her saliva slowly, and pushed Eunji lightly again,"Eunji... Eunji..."

With this push, Eunji seemed to have some reactions, and slowly she started to regain her consciousness. She opened her eyes dimly, looking dazed. She shifted her body, but it was so painful that she exclaimed,"Ah!"

"Oh no! Am I dead..." Eunji held her head in her hands. Her skull was so painful as if it was broken into half, and was also burning.

"We are fine... Are you alright?" Naeun turned her head weakly to look at Eunji. She did not have enough strength herself, so she rested her head on the rest.

"Where...are we?" Eunji's mind is clearer now.

"I don't know too... We seemed to have driven into a...wasteland." Naeun looked around. They are now situated in a place filled with weeds which are as high as their car.

"We are supposed to be on the highway, how did we even came here?" Eunji rubbed her eyes roughly, hoping it would help her to see clearer.

"It probably was an accident..." Naeun did not know how to answer too, she paused for awhile and said, "Do you remember? It's those red and green lights... We charged towards the wall which seemed to be full of magnetic force, and after that, my body was like been torn into pieces, and I fainted out of pain... Then, we are here."

Both of them became silent. Indeed, everything happened too quickly, so fast that that they could not even confirm whether if it is a traffic accident or not.

Eunji lowered her head weakly, and said remorsefully,"It's all my fault, I shouldn't have competed with him. Now, I had even implicated you, I'm really sorry..."

"Don't be like that. We are fine, isn't it? It is just that... we do not know where we are now. We probably just charged to somewhere away from the highway, and just fell into the weeds beside the road." Naeun comforted her immediately. Of course, she didn't think that things could be this easy.

"Let's call the police." Naeun suggested, and fished out her phone from her pocket. But the phone had turned itself off automatically. She turned it on again, but there was no reception,"My phone can't receive any reception, let's try your phone."

Eunji turned around and got her phone from her bag in the backseat. When she took one glance at it, she realised that her phone had also unknowingly turned itself off. She turned it on and after waiting, she exclaimed in disappointment, "Why can't my phone receive any reception too?"

"This is too outrageous! I will definitely sue this network! The receiving of reception is so poor, and yet they still collect such expensive tax!" Eunji closed her phone angrily, and expressed all her anger on the network operations.

"Let's go out and look around, maybe we can find the highway." Naeun said.

"I guess that's the only way." Eunji sighed.

"Do you have any torches in your car?" Naeun asked. 

"Yes, there is!" Eunji opened the drawer in front of her and took out a mini torch.

The instant when Naeun opened the car door, a gush of cold wind entered the car, causing the both of them to tremble.

Naeun grabbed her blouse tightly and got out from the car. She pushed the long weeds that were blocking her way aside as she landed her feet on wet mud. The sharp cold wind blew against her face. The weather seemed to turn cold drastically, even the air seemed frozen.

She turned back and told Eunji, who was still in the car,"It seems to be very cold outside, can you check if there are any extra clothes in the car?"

"Okay." Eunji responded. She took out a handbag and randomly chose a jacket from the backseat to wear. When she was going to get out, she accidentally knocked down a bottle of mineral water beside the seat. As she picked up the bottle, she noticed the talisman beside it.

She took a glance at it and decided to take it with her. In such a deserted place, at least a talisman could let her feel more at ease.

"Wow! Why did the weather turn so cold suddenly... Ah, the weeds here are so long I can't even see the way!" Eunji got out of the car and the torch. She was frightened at the sight of the tall weeds.

"I will climb up the car to look at the surroundings." Naeun said, and she started to climb to the top of the car slowly. When she reached, she stood on the top of it and looked around. Her heart immediately turned cold.

Under the light from the torch, everywhere was pitch black, and there were no street lights nearby. They didn't fall near the highway, instead they had fallen in the middle of a deserted place. With the help of the weak silver light from the moon, she could see light coming from houses that were not far from them.

"Are there any street lights nearby?" Eunji raised her head and asked nervously.

"There aren't any street lights, but I think there is a village not far from us." Naeun answered disappointedly, and observed the distance between them and the village,"If we can walk in a straight line, I think we can reach there in half an hour."

"Let's just wait for someone to save us, or, let's wait until dawn before going to the village. It's so dark now, it's so scary to walk through here!" Just when Eunji finished, a gush of cold wind blew against them. It was so cold their mucus is starting to drip.

"Alright then, let's stay until dawn in the car. Let me come down first." Naeun replied, while preparing to jump down from the car top. But as she jumped, she slipped and lost her balance, falling to the ground.

"Ah! Naeun!" When Eunji saw that Naeun fell down, she was so shocked that she could feel her heart in . She rushed to help her up, and asked in panic, "Did you get hurt?"

Naeun struggled to sit up. Her left palm had been cut by a sharp rock.

"Ah... My left hand hurts..." Naeun used her right hand to support her left palm, and said in agony,"It seems to be bleeding..."

Eunji picked up the torch from the ground hurriedly, and used the torch light to inspect Naeun's left hand.

"You have been cut, and the wound is very deep, its bleeding profusely!" Eunji screamed in shock when she saw Naeun's bloodstained left hand. Fresh red blood gushed out from the wound, out of control. On the ground was a piece of bloodstained rock. It's sharp edge seemed to be mocking at them.

She quickly took off her jacket, and clumsily tried to wrap it around Naeun's hand, hoping it could stop the blood flow.

"If the blood keeps flowing, you may not be able to make it until tomorrow morning. Let's hurry up and go to the village to find people to call the police!" At the sight of blood, Eunji started to become dizzy, but she forced herself to calm down,"Let's drive there!"

"Drive there? With those long weeds blocking our sight, we wouldn't be able to see the way!" Naeun clenched her jaws together and said, enduring the pain.  By now she was very cold and in pain. "I guess the only way is to walk there..."

Eunji helped her up slowly and asked, "Then which direction should we go to?"

Naeun pointed towards the back of the car and said,"Walk straight towards that direction, and we would be able to reach there." 

The both of them started on their night journey. With the help of the mere light from the torch, they walked along the wilderness gingerly, mustering up their courage with every step they take. Eunji held the torch in one hand, while trying to push the weeds out of their way using the other. This journey was definitely the worst one for her since birth.

They endured the cold wind with every step they took, and within the first ten minutes, Eunji had already shrieked three times, all because of unknown insects flying around her, or small animals scurrying past when she pushed the long weeds out of the way. However, with every sudden shriek of hers, Naeun who was following behind her would always be at a loss.

Luckily, they finally walked out of the area of weeds after approximately twenty minutes of walk. They stepped onto the loess, leaving that scary path behind.

Eunji heaved a sigh of relief and said, " We finally got rid of those scary-looking weeds!"

Naeun looked into the distance. Silence enveloped the sleeping village, with only a bit of light here and there. She didn't know if it is because she had been frightened for too long, or is it because she had lost too much blood, she started to get dizzy. She tried to balance herself and said,"There's still light in that house not far away from us, let's hurry there."

Eunji helped her towards the small house and not long after, they had reached in front of it. As they stood on the doorstep, they can see that it was actually an old cottage, and it was built with red bricks and there was a large amount of black, thick moss on them.

Eunji started to knock on the door loudly while shouting, "Anybody in there?"

Within seconds, quick steps could be heard coming closer towards the door, and before it could be opened, they heard a man shout, "What's the matter?"

When the door opened, a man who was in his twenties, with short hair stood before them. He was very tall, with a robust figure, and he only wore a thin long sleeved t-shirt in the cold winter season. 

When that man saw two girls standing at the door, his eyes widened and stared at them for a long time, as if he had just seen an inconceivable monster. After he had regained his senses, he stammered,"What...can I do for you?"

Before him were two faces, one was in panic, and the other was pale.

Eunji hastily told him,"We got lost, and my friend here happened to be injured. She had lost a lot of blood, can you please help her to stop the blood and call the police?" 

That man looked towards Naeun. Seeing her pale complexion, she looked like she is going to faint any moment. He said quickly, "Come in!"

With him and Eunji holding onto each of Naeun's arms, they helped her inside the cottage. As soon as they got inside, that man shouted,"Gyu! Come out and help!"

With that, that guy who is called Gyu came stumbling out from a room, and while doing so he even dropped a slipper. He is around the same age as the guy who had opened the door, but his figure was more thin, had a very old fashioned hairstyle, and he wore a pair of black and thick glasses, making him look dull.

"What's the matter? What's the matter?" When Gyu walked out and saw the situation, he couldn't help but get shocked. Sitting on the chair was a girl whose hand was wrapped with a bloodstained jacket. His sight stopped at Eunji's face. Very beautiful, he had never seen a girl who was prettier than her.

Naeun sat on the chair weakly and she closed her eyes to rest. She heard people talking, but unfortunately she didn't have the strength to even reply.

"Go and fetch me the powder quickly!" The guy who had opened the door ordered Gyu hurriedly.

"Oh." After Gyu regained his composure, he immediately ran back to the room.

That guy lowered his head, while undoing the jacket around her hand carefully. As the jacket loosened, blood began oozing out from the wound, to his hands, and even dripping to the floor.

He froze, while looking at the fresh warm blood left on his hands. He lifted up his head slowly and looked at her. She closed her eyes, with her eyelashes quivering, and was slightly open, so that she could breathe. His soul has been captivated by this injured girl...

"The ointment's here!" Gyu ran out of the room, holding a roll of white bandage and a bottle of powder in his hands.

That guy regained his senses, and lowered his head to examine her wound, while comforting her, "The wound is neither too deep nor too big. It's alright, I'll apply some powder to stop the flow first."

After twisting the cap off the bottle, he tipped the powder directly onto the wound. Without another word, he used the bandage to wrap around her palm, and finished it off by tying a tight knot.

"Would the blood stop flowing this way?" Eunji who was standing at the side asked suspiciously. She doesn't believe that just a bottle of powder could have such a "magical" effect.

"Of course it would, this powder is known for stopping blood effectively, how could you not know?" That guy said.

"Why not just call the police first!" Eunji looked at him and said frantically.

"Call?" He looked at her weirdly, as if she just requested for something impossible, "Do you think there would be a telephone here?"

"Why not?" Now it's Eunji's turn to ask him,"If you don't have, then do your neighbours have?"

Eunji's attitude towards having a telephone at home caused that guy and Gyu to look at each other. For a moment, they do not know how to answer that.

"Miss, this is not an urban district, and this village only has ten houses, so no one would install a telephone." Gyu pushed up his glasses and tried to explain to her.

This time round, she looked around carefully. Indeed, the furnishings here are simple and crude. On the table there are two glass oil lamps, and the air smelled of wet soil. In addition, the interior layout was very old. An enamel washbasin with big red flowered designs lying on the floor, and even the kettle on the floor cabinet had rattan protecting over it. 

"Gyu, serve them some hot tea. Since this lady had lost a lot of blood, put some sugar in her tea." That guy held up Naeun's left hand and examined it. He smiled at Eunji in satisfaction while saying, "See, it had stopped bleeding."

Eunji lowered her head and looked. Sure enough, the blood had dried up.

"Did you two come from another country?" That guy stared at Naeun's face while asking Eunji.

"Another country?" Eunji got confused at his question, "Where is this place?"

"This is Seoul." That guy answered.

"Then we are not foreigners. We also study in Seoul." Eunji looked at Naeun's hand and answered casually.

"Oh... I didn't know there's a school near here." That guy sctratched his head,"I thought both of you just got back from overseas, since the way you two dress up is quite fashionable.

"The tea is here!" Gyu came out with two cups of hot tea, one which he gave to Eunji, and the other to that guy.

That guy carefully brought the cup to Naeun's lips and said,"Having some tea can help warm you up."

Naeun opened her eyes slowly and sipped a bit of the hot tea, it tastes sweet. She took another sip, and the warm tea flowed down her esophagus into her stomach, warming up her cold body bit by bit. Gradually, she came back to her senses. She saw the guy before her eyes helping her with the tea, he smiled at her with a gentle gaze.

After she finished the tea, she said softly,"Thanks."

He smiled in response.

"Excuse me, how do we address the both of you?" Eunji suddenly remembered that she had not known their saviours' names.

"My name is Kim Myungsoo, and he is my best friend, Kim Sunggyu." That guy introduced themselves. "But you can call me L, and call him Gyu."

Gyu stood aside, giving Eunji an enthusiastic smile. When he smiles, his dimples will be shown, making him look slightly silly.

"My name is Eunji, and she's Naeun." Eunji said politely.

"It's so late now, why would you two appear in this outskirt at this time?" L asked.

"Actually, I'm not sure either. We were originally driving when... Oh, did you two see the coloured lights that appeared in the sky just now? Along the way, I had been thinking about this weird phenomenon. I suspect it's the solar storm that caused the aurora, didn't the news broadcast it?" Eunji told them about their weird experience.

"We don't have any television here. What solar storm? It had been unusually quiet tonight, and there isn't any aurora either." Gyu joined in their discussion.

"Our car had been driven straight into a sudden magnetic field, after that we were in a descent and we lost our consciousness. When we woke up, we realised we are located in the middle of a deserted place, and we even walked for a long time to reach here."

As they were busy discussing, Naeun leaned against the chair and turned her head to see a set of blood-stained newspapers. Those newspapers caught her attention immediately, because instead of coloured, the paper was yellowish with red and black words. This kind of newspapers could probably only be seen in museums, but why is it lying around on the floor here?

She slowly tilted her body and picked up a newspaper with her right hand. She brought it close to her eyes, as she saw the words "Seoul Shinmun", and it was dated 1 December 1950.

She froze. 1950? She became sober instantly.

She swiftly used her sharp observation skills to look around the house, is this how it looks like in the 1950s? She observed the two men in front of her again. Shabby black jacket, yellowish undershirt, and not to forget Gyu's glasses and hairstyle... How did this happen? it's simply impossible!

Don't tell me...

"Excuse me..." Naeun suddenly spoke, causing the three to stop their discussion on whether there was a solar storm or not. They turned their attention to her at the same time. 

"I would like to ask... How did you guys get this newspaper?" Naeun showed the newspaper in her hand and gazed at L, with her heart threatening to jump out anytime.

He sensed fear and uncertainty in her eyes. 

"This newspapers... I bought it in the evening today. L casually said, but it was as though a bomb was thrown at her.

She was so shocked that she could feel her heart tighten, as if it had just stopped pumping. A wave of cold swept through her and goosebumps started to form.

She tried her best to calm herself down, as she continued nervously, "But the date on this is 1 December 1950?"

"Of course, because today is 1 December 1950. Is there a problem?" L replied with a serious face, without even a slight hint of unseriousness in his words.

After hearing that, Naeun's face turned pale. She opened while staring at L, as though he was going to kill her. 

Following which her words that came out of was broken involuntarily. Her voice turned into a whisper, "Eunji... Did you hear what he just said? He ...actually said...it is 1950 now! Is it...funny?"

She managed to give Eunji who was beside her a stiff smile. The aurora, solar storm, magnetic field they went through on the highway, are they related? She desperately needed Eunji's help at this moment.

L and Gyu watched Eunji as she widened her eyes, and her expression was shocked with opening and closing with no words coming out. She seemed to have suffered a huge boggle.

"No way, it's impossible... How could this happen..." Eunji stared blankly at Naeun, shaking her head vigorously. She was totally stunned.

She snatched the newspaper which Naeun was holding and focused on the date.

It's 1950!

They had traveled back 50 years in time.


Firstly, I am deeply sorry for not updating for more than a year. I had sort of a writers' blog and eventually I forgot all about this story. I know I'm a bad author and you can all lash out at me, I'm willing to take them without complain. :'< And a million thanks to those subscribers who had stayed with me, I can't thank you all enough. TTvTT I know this story is progressing very slowly, but I just wanted it to be slow and steady. I'm kind of confused with the story plot now and I'm not really sure how to connect everything together. :( But rest assure I won't give up on this story and I will try to update often~ ^^