No Turning Back...

Angela Kim

 

The next morning, Angela is sitting inside her Uncle’s office awaiting for the DNA results to come out. Jong Myung asked her to wait in his office, while he proceed to the medical Lab to retrieve the results. After picking up Angela from the airport, they went straight to Jong Myung’s clinic to submit the DNA samples. 

 

“Hyorin aa, the results are here.” Jong Myung called. He raised up the envelope for Angela to see. 

 

She smiled and took the envelope from her samchon. She opened the envelope and have a look to make sure the results are correct. ‘i guess there’s no going back now.’ Angela though to herself. Indeed she is Kim Jong Kook’s daughter. 

 

“Kajaa Hyorin-aa, we have a show to record.” Jong Myung led her niece to his car and drove away. He is also not sure if this will be a good idea or not. But he knows that his niece will not change her mind. ‘Like father, like daughter.’ He thought to himself. He purposely turn off his phone since last night to avoid calls from his dongsaeng. He knows that once he finds out, his brother will be calling him non-stop asking to speak with Hyorin. Hyorin also turn off her phone, she is sure that by know over 100 missed calls are waiting from her appa. 

 

Angela was lost in her thoughts, as she wondered if she will find her mother within this week. She hope that exposing herself to public scrutiny will be worth it. 

 

 

Flashback

 

WOAAA Kim Jong Kook keren banget… Iya kuat banget ya dy ngedorong hampir semuanya sampe jatoh lho tinggal 2 sekarang.

 

(Woa Kim Jong Kook is so cool… Yea he is so strong, he pushed almost everyone down until only 2 left.)

 

Angela went in and saw her classmates gathered around her best friend Erin, they are watching Running man’s 190th Episode. She placed her bag beside her table before joining the crowd. Eventually making her way to Erin’s side.

 

“Angela did u see that! Sparta kook did it again!! He ousted almost all his enemies!” Erin Cheered and pulled her best friend closer. Erin (Lee Ae Rin) is also Korean like Angela, they kind of grew up together since they are neighbours. She is also the only one, who knows about Angela’s true parentage in her school. Everyone thinks that Angela’s parents are scientist leading an expedition in Antartica, which is why she is lives with her Grandmother.  

 

‘uri appa da.’ Angela thought to herself and smiled proudly, though a hint of sadness is visible in her eyes. 

 

Erin, who saw Angela’s expression hit herself in the head… Pabo yaaa. She thought to herself… Angela, who saw her best friend hit herself in the head just laughed and smiled widely before saying “Gwenchana” to Erin, who looked very guilty. 

 

Angela longingly look at Erin’s laptop screen thinking how much she misses her appa. She made a note to herself to ask her halmeoni to video call her appa tonight so she can see him. 

 

She loves watching Korean Variety shows, especially when her appa is in it. She discovered Running Man 2 years ago, and have been watching it religiously every week to see her appa. She also like to watch Hello Counselor, a show hosted by 4 comedians, where citizens can send in their concerns, to be discussed in front of audience, and hope to reach mutual resolution. She watched an episode about a girl, who is controlled by her mom and has limited freedom. ‘Well at least you have a mom that is concern about you.’ Angela thought to herself. 

 

She grew to love the show, especially episodes involving moms. Although they were problems, but eventually when all is resolved, they hug it out and showed that they do care for each other. She did hope one day that her father will allow her to visit Korea and bring her to watch the show. She might convince her father to become guest on the show so that she can watch from the side and get the hosts autographs. 

 

She did not expect for things to end up like this though…

 

 

Back to Present…

 

Angela is sitting down with the producers for final round of interview before the live show begins. She hand over the DNA results to one of the Chief producer seating in the middle. He took out the results and were shock to see that all this is real. Kim Jong Kook’s daughter is really sitting in front of them right now. The other producers were mirroring his shock expression, as they tried to remain calm and collected. But how could they, when they literally just hit jackpot. The viewership rating for today’s episode will sure be sky high. 

 

The producers wanted to know more about Angela’s childhood and school life, which she gladly answered without missing any details. She told them that she was born in Seoul, and moved to Indonesia with her grandmother as a toddler, and never went back to Korea ever since. Her father visits her at least twice a year, and loves her very much. She introduced herself as Angela Kim to anyone she meets, that was what her father always reminded her to do. Angela was able to answer all the questions thrown by the producers except for…

 

“Did you ever hear anything about your mother Angela? Maybe from your father or Grandmother?” The producers carefully asked, while observing Angela’s expression and body language. 

 

Angela sighed. Unfortunately she doesn’t and wished she did a better job convincing her grandmother to tell her more about her mother. 

 

"No, and that is why i am here… to find out the truth from my mother.” Angela sound determined. “I want to know what exactly happened 12 years ago. From what i can tell my father is not exactly keen about my mother. Whenever i asked about who she is and what she’s like, he would just hug me tight and not utter any words. From that alone, i can sense his pain and understood why he would just stay quiet. One time i even caught him shed a tear, but dismiss my thoughts saying that the room was too dusty, I realised that my mother must have hurt him really bad.” Angela confessed. She can hear sniffles around her, as she tried to narrate her parents tragic past. 

 

The chief producer was the first one to snap back to reality, and cleared his throat to get everyones attention back to business. “Alright, I am sorry to hear that Angela, do you by any chance have a korean name? this may help your mother recognise you faster.” The producer thought of this idea, as english names are not widely used yet. Especially this case dates back to 12 years ago. 

 

“Nee i do… its Kim Hyo Rin.” Angela stated clearly. She wanted to make sure everything is perfect. 

 

“Ok, i think we have enough information for now Hyorin aaa.” The producer smiled. “Will it be fine for me to address you by your korean name? You are in korea after all, it might be better for your to use it here to blend in.” The producer suggested with a smile. 

 

“Gwenchana Ajhussi, i like that i finally get to use my korean name.” Angela smiled comfortably. The producers were very friendly to her, they prepared some snacks and juice box, as well as some books to keep her entertained. Her uncle decided to wait for her outside to let her speak comfortably, no boundary with the producers. After the chief producer finish interviewing Angela, he proceeds to approach her uncle and ask his colleagues to guide him into the audience seat. Since the content of today’s live show is confidential to only employees and guest invited to read out their concerns. His uncle wishes her good luck, and asked the producer to take good care of her niece before he left to be escorted to his seat. 

 

The chief producer made his way back to Angela and saw her look uneasy. He sat beside her and carefully asked. “Are you ok Hyorin, you seem to be worried about something?” 

 

“To be honest, my father doesn’t know that i am here. I really wish for this episode to air as soon as possible, because once he come back, that will be it. He is in Jakarta right now, we were suppose to spend time together now, the 3 of us. But here I am, in the verge of ruining my appa’s career.” She sadly thought. Despite so, she’s already gone too far and that there is no turning back. Eventually people are going to know, who she is. 

 

“Today’s show is a special reunion episode of the hit K-Drama Goong (Princess Hours), celebrating its 20 years and the 4 main actors will be coming in as guest today. On top of that, this will be the first time for us to record live. And so, the audience will be able to participate in Q&A session with the cast.” The producer slowly explained the theme of today’s show to Angela. 

 

“Fortunately, todays episode will air directly at the same time as we are recording it. No editing will be done for this episode, so make sure you prepare well Hyorin aaa.” The producer explained. 

 

Seems like all this coincidence is working to her favor. ‘Goong? It sounds familiar.’ Angela thought to herself.

 

“As for your appa’s career, don’t worry Hyorin aaa. A lot of his fans are already wishing him to get married as soon as possible. The discovery of her daughter will surely make them love your father even more.” The chief producer continued. 

 

“Your story will be the finale of today’s episode, because we always do save the best for last. Do make yourself comfortable in this room and we will let you know when its time.” The producer winked to encourage her, raising his hand in ‘fighting’ gesture before leaving the room to start todays recording. 

 

Her appearance on the show is only known by the producers. Even the hosts are not notified in advance, as they usually do. They were only given previews of the first 2 concerns. They will find out alongside the citizens of South Korea. 

 

Angela went back to the waiting room, she brought out her phone from her pocket and contemplate whether or not she should call her appa to inform him about the bomb she’s about to drop. But decided not to, as she could not afford to hear anything from him that might change her mind. She is determined that this is the right thing to do. If her father can’t give her answers on what happen 12 years ago. Guess she had to figure it out herself. 

 

“This is the right thing to do Hyorin aaa…” Angela tried to convince herself one last time. She was lost in her thoughts once again, until she heard the door open. Angela stood up to see a lady just entered her room looking confused. 

 

“Duguseyo?” (Who are you?), Angela tried to ask the stranger. ‘Yeppoda.’ Angela thought as she scanned the lady in front of her. She does look familiar. ‘O… isn’t she?’ 

 

“Song Ji Hyo”

 

Ji Hyo came into Angela’s room thinking it was her stylist’s room. She displayed her signature Mong expression, as she saw a little girl standing not far away from her. ‘Duguseyo?’ she heard, the little girl say. 

 

"Oh… i am sorry isn’t this Hong Da’s room?” Ji Hyo look flabbergasted. She was sure that the security pointed to this room, when she asked about her stylist’s whereabouts. 

 

“Aniyo this is my room.” Angela, who was equally surprised was too starstruck to say anything else. 

 

“aaa mian hae… i guess i came into the wrong room hehe.” Ji Hyo embarrassingly remarked, she was about to close the door but was quickly stopped by Angela. 

 

“Jamkkanman… hogsi are you Ji Hyo Imo from Running Man?” Angela carefully asked. She was not sure how to address the woman in front of her as this is their first meeting, and it surely won’t be their last. 

 

“Ne, I am Running Man Song Ji Hyo.” Ji Hyo smiled brightly at the little girl. She wasn’t sure why she felt very comfortable speaking with the girl, and something about her made Ji Hyo’s heart melt. 

 

“Are you a fan of Running Man?” Ji Hyo was going to offer her signature if the little girl is indeed a fan of the show. 

 

“Ani, Uri Appa do…” Angela almost revealed her identity. She stop herself thinking its not the time yet and decided to play along with Ji Hyo’s assumption. 

 

“Ne.. I am a big fan of Running Man”. Angela smiled. 

 

Ji Hyo spotted an A4 paper and a pen lying in the table, she led Angela to the couch. “Who should i address this signature too?” Ji Hyo smiled at Angela asking for her name. Something about this little girl is making her heart feel at peace.  

 

“Kim Hyo Rin im ni da.” Angela stated clearly for Ji Hyo to hear. 

 

Ji Hyo froze for a moment 'Seolma, it can’t be right…' Jihyo taught to herself. Her face turned sad and mind went blank for a moment.  

 

Angela got confuse for a moment looking at Ji Hyo’s expression. “Imo, Gwenchana?” 

 

Jihyo Snapped out of her thoughts. “Ne, i think i have to go now.” Ji Hyo quickly signed the paper and gave it to Angela. She left the room without looking back, leaving a confused Angela behind. 

 

She rushed to the corner of the building, where no one is around and pulled out her phone. She went though her contact list and stopped at the name of a man she once loved. She braved herself to press call and place her phone in her right ear. She unconsciously bit her left hand nails due to extreme nervousness. 

 

“Yoboseyo?” She can hear a cold tone coming from the receiver of her call. 

 

“Oppa…” Ji Hyo felt very nervous, became dry. 

 

For some reason, hearing the name of that little girl just now made Ji Hyo remember about her own daughter. She started to wonder how she’s doing and what she looks like know. She can’t believe its been 12 years, since she last saw her little angel. 

 

“Hyorin…jaljineseo?” Ji hyo Braved herself to ask. 

 

She anxiously wait for his reply. She did promise him to never ask about their daughter, she knows what she did back then was unforgivable. To this day, even if her daughter is standing in front of her, she does not think that she will be able to face her. She was the reason why her little family fell apart in the first place. ‘Mianhae Goongju aaa.’ 

 

But its been 12 years, a mother can hope right? But as expected…

 

“I don’t think you are suppose to say that sentence ever Song Ji Hyo ssii… You gave up the right to be her mother 12 years ago... I don’t think there is anything else to say, I will hang up now and pretend this never happen….”

 

toot… toot… toot…

 

“Jong Kook Oppa? Yoboseyo… Oppa… OPPAAA” Ji Hyo cried desperately. She lean into the wall and crouched down, burying her face. Trying to cry as silently as she can.

 

 

“I forgive you… But don’t ever show your face in front of our daughter…”

 

 

Back in Jakarta…

 

Jong Kook is sitting in the living room at his mother's place. Last nights talk with her mother gave him an absolute migrane. He can’t believe that his mother just let Hyorin go to Seoul without letting him know. Coincidentally, Ji Hyo called him just now asking about Hyorin all of a sudden. He pinch the bridge of his nose, and try to calm himself down. 

 

“Andwae this cannot go on, i should go back to Seoul as soon as possible.” He thought 

 

Jong Kook’s phone suddenly started to ring, displaying Gap Jin’s name.

 

“Eoo… Gap Jin aa, I was about to call you i really need your…”

 

Before Jong Kook can finish his sentence, Gap Jin had to cut him midway as he urgently need to inform his hyung. 

 

“Hyung… we have a problem.”

 


A/n: In this Alternate Universe, the drama Goong is under KBS instead of MBC. Hope you guys enjoy the update. I am very sorry about my bad grammar but hope you guys understood the point of the story. Please subscribe and do leave comments about what you think of this story. 

What exactly happen 12 years ago? Will the recording be smooth once Ji Hyo realise her daughter is standing in front of her? Will we get to see a happy family reunion or will it turn into a tragic goodbye? 

Stay Tune and find out in the next update! Cheers!!

Stay Safe and Healthy Everyone. We will get through this! ^_^