Final

Marry Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You and Yoora take a moment to admire the beautifully decorated building. It is the opening of the new branch of Yoora’s company. There is a buffet table set up and there are quite a number of people moving around the room, offering congratulations to Yoora and another man who you assume to be her boss.

 

You eye the buffet spread, already thinking of smuggling some cake for Junmyeon. It is quite convenient that the new branch is in the vicinity of Junmyeon’s studio. You still haven’t fully figured out what was going on with him, but he hasn’t been home as often enough for you to make any deductions. It doesn’t help either that you’re getting busier with work.

 

“You can probably take away some of the food,” Yoora tells you, pushing you lightly. “I doubt the people here can finish it all.”

 

“If you say so. But really, congratulations Yoora! This looks amazing,” you tell your best friend.

 

She laughs. “I’m just the manager of the place. Nothing big. It’s not like I actually own the place.”

 

“At least you hold enough authority to let me take away some of the food.”

 

“Nah, I’m sure Junmyeon will enjoy the surprise,” she chuckles, and upon seeing the look on your face, she freezes. “Uh, is everything alright between you two?”

 

You shake your head. “I haven’t even spoken to him properly for almost two weeks now. It’s like we’re just going through the motions now. He’s always working late nights, and- nevermind. Maybe I’m being too serious about it.”

 

“I could ask Sehun about it if you want? That would clarify things a little, I think. About that Soojung issue too.”

 

“Thanks, but it’s okay,” you mutter before looking downwards to avoid her piercing gaze. Bad idea. You just manage to catch sight of Yoora’s engagement ring which shines ever so prettily. “Everything will probably settle down on its own. I can handle it. We shouldn’t bring Sehun into this.”

 

“Let me just put this out there…” she starts, looking at you sheepishly. “What if you think he’s up to something because he’s about to propose? You read the article, didn’t you?”

 

“Oh my god. How would this situation in any way relate to him proposing?” You really wonder where Yoora’s head is sometimes. Although, you do appreciate her efforts of making you feel better. A proposal was the last thing on your mind.

 

Just then, your phone rings, and you are pleasantly surprised to see that it is from Junmyeon. You look at the time, and it is almost the end of lunch time. Why would he be calling you?

 

Yoora gestures for you to answer to call, a knowing smile gracing her lips. You roll your eyes at her, though with a small grin, and swipe at your phone screen. “Hello?”

 

“Hey babe,” he greets. Your heart clenches at how tired he sounds, but you manage to hear a hint of excitement behind his voice. “Where are you?”

 

“I’m at Yoora’s new branch opening in Cheongdam-dong. I’m heading back to my studio after lunch. What about you? Are you still working?”

 

“Work is practically eating me up right now. But enough about me. How would you like to go out for dinner at the Jung Sushi Cuisine this Saturday?”

 

You raise your eyebrows even though he can’t see you. “That place is expensive, though. What’s the occasion?”

 

“No occasion,” he laughs. It sounds refreshing. “Although, I am getting a great deal on one of my projects. I should be allowed to splurge on my princess once in a while, right?”

 

“Yeah, but I don’t want you to spend all your hard-earned money to take me out for dinner! Junmyeon!” you chide him. It is honestly flattering that he would want to do something like this, but you would feel rather guilty for all his long nights at work.

 

“It’s alright. I know someone. It’s a good deal.”

 

And then, everything clicks. “Soojung?”

 

He doesn’t seem to notice the tone of your voice. “Oh, you remember her?”

 

“Yeah, we met at your parents’ party last year. She mentioned something about a sushi place,” you tell him distractedly, already racking your brains to recall the memory from a few days back.

 

You spot Yoora tending to some of the guests, so you decide to step outside to continue the conversation. You could do with some fresh air too. Suddenly, as if you had suddenly developed super vision, something immediately catches your eye. You can’t believe you didn’t notice it before.

 

The words ‘JUNG SUSHI CUISINE’ hang above a very fancy-looking restaurant at the end of the street across yours. There are quite a number of people inside and you decide to walk closer to get a better look.

 

“I think I have to go now,” your boyfriend tells you apologetically but you are only half-listening. “Talk to you later?”

 

“Mm,” you agree. “Love you.”

 

“Love you too.”

 

The line goes dead and you feel much lighter. So, that was what their conversation at lunch must have been about. It is as if your worries from the past week have dissipated after a mere conversation with Junmyeon.

 

Wait, scratch that.

 

All at once, your emotions become something similar to a rollercoaster. You were worried and anxious when he started acting distant, slightly mad when you saw him with Soojung, happy after talking to him after a long while, and now…! You are very mad to see him with Soojung again.

 

The both of them emerge from the restaurant, with Junmyeon smiling brightly. You quickly conceal yourself by pretending to scroll through your phone, allowing your hair to cover most of your face. There are a number of people walking around you, so you shouldn’t be able to stand out too much.

 

You try not to make it too obvious when you stare at them. He’s saying something to her but you’re too far away to be able to read his lips. You can already picture it in your head.

 

“Thanks for the lovely time,” he would say. “And remember, don’t tell Jaera.”

 

Your blood boils at the scene before you. Closing your eyes, you tell yourself that there has to be a plausible explanation for all of this. You can’t go to jail for murdering your boyfriend and his lady friend, could you?

 

When you open your eyes, you almost let out a noise of surprise. The two of them are hugging. Hugging! The full-on arms around back, head on shoulder package! Your blood is no longer boiling, but waiting to explode out of you like a volcano waiting to erupt.

 

Deep breaths, you tell yourself. No need for a criminal record.

 

You would just have to confront him. Tonight.

 

-

 

“Where have you been?” you exclaim.

 

Junmyeon pauses in the midst of removing his shoes. The digital clock on the cabinet reads out 1:30am and neither of you should be up right now. Him even more so, to be returning from work at such a late hour.

 

“Why are you still awake?” he asks, slowly continuing his movement.

 

You let out a mirthless chuckle. “Are you really asking me that right now? Who on earth works until one o’ clock in the morning?!”

 

“What do you mean? I was rushing to finish my project. I’ve told you this before. This is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter