three

Part of Me | jaeten.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

⇜ three ⇝

 

Days and days went by and it was as if I never knew I had befriended a ghost. I questioned my sanity and asked myself why I still kept on dropping by just to see him despite what I knew. Was it because he needed a friend? Or was I the one who longed for his presence? Maybe both?

But there was one answer I was sure of, and it's because our friendship was already difficult to let go.

Although a part of my brain still tried to talk sense out of me, the thought of having a friend that no one else could see isn't even far from having an imaginary friend.

What if he's really just a figment of my imagination? A friend that only my mind invented when I was feeling lonely? There were times I couldn't stop questions from running inside my head.

But it was absurd. I wasn't that desperately in need of a company the day I met Ten and I would've even called Johnny if I needed one, but in all honesty, I would say that his presence was definitely a huge bonus. A blessing even.

I visited the place almost everyday and spent time talking to him like before, and on days I wasn't extremely exhausted after class, Ten continued to teach me the dance that I failed to completely memorize, bit by bit. He knew my studies became even more stressful for me, not to mention that I had been busy studying for my exams too.

Although as soon as my exams ended, there I was again under Ten's supervision, and his annoyingly adorable cheeky self wouldn't let me live with my body waves that weren't as great as his.

"You're so stiff Jaehyun what the frick." He giggled.

"Says the one who can't do the shoot dance properly."

I wheezed when Ten shot a dagger glare at me. "If I could wack your head right now your head would look like a plateau I swear."

"That's not possible we're not Tom and Jerry. Skulls aren't flexible and it's not as soft as when we were born since they harden by the time we're teenagers. The seams between the bones fuse—"

"Ok stop stop you're giving me a headache." He gave me his " what?" look while massaging his temple.

"Do ghosts even get headaches?"

"For fruit's sake Jaehyun stop taking things literally."

"You hate fruits why do you care about them."

"I—" He facepalmed. "You need help Jaehyun."

"I was kidding." I laughed at his exasperated reaction. It was really fun to .

After rehearsing a bit more, we decided to sit at the edge of the cliff to take a break. I knew Ten doesn't get tired but he knew I was exhausted, and so he eventually called it off for the day and gave me the time to rest.

"Hey hyung?"

"Yeah?"

Ten leaned forward to dangle his arms on the railings as he swayed his legs back and forth. For a moment I silently stared at the planes and curves of his face, the orange glow of the sun softening his features which made him look a few years younger.

"I've been meaning to ask..." I started off cautiously. "...although if it's only okay with you... can I... can I visit you at the hospital?"

The question seemed to have surprised him, but he otherwise looked like he considered the thought. "Hospital? You want to visit me there?"

"Yeah... if—if only it's okay."

At that he smiled at me; it was that kind of smile he would usually give whenever there was something that touched him.

"Of course. I can take you there on Sunday if you want."

"I thought for a second you wouldn't agree to it." I grinned at him. "It's a plan then."

The smile didn't leave his lips when he nodded in agreement.

Silence enveloped us as we gazed at the horizon, the sky tinged with pink and orange hinting that the sun was about to set. There was something about his expression that I couldn't really read, although I had a hunch that he wanted to say something.

"Jae?"

"Hmm?"

Ten bit his lower lip. "Can you help me communicate with my family once we get there?"

My eyes widened when I progressed what he had just requested. The idea never occurred to me before and I felt stupid for not thinking about it before. If it meant I could help him speak to his family again, I didn't have to think twice before I decided to agree.

"Yes of course."

"I just... I really miss them. Please tell them that and let them know I'm okay and they should take care too."

I nodded. "I just hope they'll believe I can really see and hear you though. After all I'm the first right?"

"Oh right." He sniffed. "Yeah I hope so too. I wouldn't want you to be kicked out of the hospital or worse be brought to a mental institution. I wouldn't be able to help you out."

"Funny how I thought you're actually from a mental hospital when I first saw you."

"How nice." He commented, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "But anyways, thank you you're the best as always." He fake sobbed and opened his arms wide, as if I could really feel his embrace once I get caged in them. "I would hug you if only I could right now."

"Save it once you wake up. You already owe me hundreds of hugs."


 



 

I was surprised and pleased at how I seemed to be performing better in my studies for the past months. Even Johnny took notice of it when he asked about my exam grades, and at home I didn't feel as gloomy as before.

It was like suddenly waking up the next morning feeling more optimistic than the night before. My fighting spirit felt like it was electrocuted back to life, and my mindset solely focused on what's waiting for me at the finish line. It also didn't affect me as much as it did before that my father still won't give a crap about my accomplishments, nor did I feel any sense of urgency to be in a relationship anytime soon.

"What changed?" Johnny suddenly asked me one day when we were on our way out of a cafe. I stared at him as if he said something stupid, although I couldn't help my lips from splitting into a smile as I sipped on the iced latte I bought. Why did I even smile? I didn't even know myself.

"That. I know that kind of smile." Johnny pointed an accusatory finger at me. "You're seeing a girl aren't you? What, is she pretty? Even prettier than Hyejin?"

"Just because I was smiling does it mean I'm already seeing someone? And to answer your question no hyung I'm not dating anyone."

"Who is it then?"

"Hyung I'm only seeing someone but not it's not that kind of "seeing someone" concept you have in mind. I'm just literally seeing someone from time to time and he teaches me new choreographies."

"Wait hold up." His face morphed into a confused look and stopped on his tracks. "Did you just say "he"? Who is this? And choreography? Since when did you get into dancing again Jung Jaehyun?"

"A couple of months ago I guess? It's a long story."

"You owe me a lot of stories do you realize that? I need to meet this guy whoever he is soon."

"You will, when the perfect time comes."

"What the heck does that suppose to mean?"

I sprinted towards my car and waved at him goodbye. "I'll let you know once he agrees to meet with you."

 

 

 

 

That day, Ten didn't seem like he was himself.

He was obviously less hyper, and he kept on spacing out from time to time in the middle of our conversations. I didn't know if he was just not in the mood to talk (which happens whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter