[ chapter one ]

Amor ° Markhyuck

Donghyuck was never focused on becoming something in his life. Only wanting to make it enjoyable and long.  Currently, at the ripe age of life, his Mother was ever encouraging of him to find someone or somewhere else to live. To her constant nagging, he would always tell her he had to stay and look after her seeing as his sister was currently in the capital working of the Monarchs of their growing country. He was never fond of her going to help them from her first mention of it almost a year ago. She was only 15 when she came up with the idea of working in the spiritual place near the centre of the capital 34 kilometres away. Yet she managed to persuade her mother to let her go saying it was her dream to work in the palace and help noblemen and women.

She hadn't made contact with her family since she left a year ago, not even a letter. Donghyuck's mother was never concerned saying that her daughter was strong and knew what was right even if Donghyuck disagreed. 

"Donghyuck when are you going to leave?" Donghyuck had only gotten out of bed and entered the main living space of their small family home only to be asked that question. His mother was sitting down on the dusty wooden floor picking out the grains of Spelt before placing them into a basket next to her.

"Mother you know I can't leave you here alone, you're getting older now" Smiling to her Donghyuck hides the painful numbing that sunk in from the question. Over the time his sister left his mother had constantly asked it not think of how it felt to the younger. Donghyuck makes it next to her and sits down stealing the plant from her hands and starts ripping the grains out himself. His mother sits there next to him watching him rip the grass apart and let the long, thin grains fall into the basket on the ground. She tears her eyes away with a weary expression before standing up and making her way to the fire that had been lit since she woke up. Pulling the pot hanging above it away she stirs it with a wooden rod before letting it sit and cool.

The older woman wiped her slightly wrinkled brow and looked at her son who was still stripping the poor plants of their fruit. She wanted him to live a more exciting life than the one he had now. He was at an age where he could easily have children and raise a family if he wanted too. She knew he wanted to have people special in his life and that was why she was pushing him away. Even she would give up her sunshine if she was making it glow only brighter. When Donghyuck's younger sister was born he would demand to look after her and would be the one to stop her from crying. People neighbouring the household would call the child Eleodoro (gift from the sun) as he would always ask if some were ok and would often get them thing to make them happy. She couldn't ask for a better son if she tried.

Donghyuck clabbers off the ground, bring the basket up with him placing the grains collected onto the poorly designed table which was near the fire he returns to get the waisted fibres from the spelt plant and walks outside with them. Outside the window, his mother is able to see him calling along the streets till one quite skinny pink and brown pig comes running up and rubbing its grubby self against his leg. Leaning down Donghyuck drops the scraps and whacks the pigs' side gently before returning to the house.

"Donghyuck did you do your morning prayers?" Donghyuck looks up at his mother smiling at her concern. Nodding gently he eases her thoughts. The recent attacks on religion had her petrified and Donghyuck knew this so he did whatever he could to stop her worrying.

"Come and eat then, it should have cooled a bit" His mother picks up a bowl from a bucket filled with cold water and wipes it down with the apron around her waist. Grabbing hold of a ladle she dips it into the mix inside the pot ready to pull it out and full the bowl in her other hand. Before she can lift Donghyuck grabs her hand stopping her. Out of shock, his mother doesn't move, giving Donghyuck an opportunity to slip both the bowl and ladle out of her hands. Grabbing her no empty hand he creases them softly, feeling the calluses forming on her palm. Looking at her with empathy he brings her hand up to his lips kissing her knuckles gently.

"You go ahead and eat. I have chores to do further into the town this morning. Save some for me" letting his mothers' hands drop he goes back into his room and grabs a satchel from near his bed.

"The food will spoil by then, eat it now before you go" Walking up to Donghyuck she traps him before he leaves his room. Continuing to walk Donghyuck kisses her forehead before brushing pasting leaving with a simple 'I love you' before disappearing.

Donghyuck was left at the door sighing at her sons' antics. She knew he was doing work near the towns centre, working on fixing the many planted planters which lay around a fountain. He and a friend brought it upon themselves when they volunteered. People in the community had given the boys flowers to full all the large boxes with going from Spanish bluebells to Gazania flowers which contrast beautifully. Donghyuck would come home once the sunset but never when it was dark and his mother would always wait for him to come back.

How she wished the family could all be back together again. Mother, daughter and son again.

 

 

Donghyuck was making his way back from finishing the planters in the town centre. He and a friend, Jisung, had spent most of the previous weeks working on filling them up with blooming flower to brighten the place up. He was extremely proud of what they had done. He was walking down the street his house was on. Jisung had left three streets earlier as his own family lived there. Making his way to the door he opens it to his own shock in seeing his sister who he hadn't seen in a year, sitting next to his mother on the ground wrapped in a blanket and tugged into their mother side. Stepping in slowly at the start he closes the door still looking at his sister. Dropping the satchel he was holding he runs over to them both before enveloping them into a hug. He doesn't cry in this situation of reuniting. He only smiles as his mother holds onto him dearly and his sister silently snuffles while clinging to his legs. He was joyous but utterly confused by her sudden appearance.

Staying together the rest of the night and no one dares to disrupt to the moment.