Hot Chocolate

Lake's Edge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2nd update!  Make sure you read Confrontation first!  Thanks!

Hot Chocolate

            It took me a full day to convince the doctor and nurses that I felt fine after they pumped my stomach.  They felt that I should stay at least another three or four days, but I told them if they didn’t release me, was just going to escape because my significant other would lose his if I didn’t come home soon.  They were all in tears when I told them that, for some reason.  But thankfully they let me go home without a fuss after that.

            Eunhyuk offered to pick me up.  Donghae worked from home, but was on an important work call that he couldn’t get out of.  I had already received a phone call from Officer Choi, informing me of Yesung’s arrest.  He also told me that Ryeowook’s cousin felt they had the wrong person.  I thought it interesting that both Ryeowook and Heechul felt so strongly about this, despite the proof that he’d already killed one person.  Seeing as I’d already heard the developments in the case, I figured that Eunhyuk would have nothing noteworthy to tell me.

            “Donghae’s moved in with me.”  He just blurted out.

            I turned down the music.  “You two back together then, I take it?”

            He nodded.

            “When did that happen?”

            He shrugged.  “Actually, I’m not really sure myself.  It kind of happened in steps.  He still owns the other place, but he never stays there anymore and we finally just decided to make it official.”

            “Congratulations.”

            “Thanks.  I feel good about it.  I’ve missed him the whole time he was gone.  It felt like…a piece of my heart was gone and now it’s back.  I feel complete again.”

            He had just summed up exactly what I felt about moving into the house and meeting Ryeowook.  Was I allowed to use the same lines on my ghost boyfriend or was that some kind of plagiarism?  If we became involved together, I would probably never be ablet to talk to anyone else about it except a handful of people.

            “I know what you mean.”

            “I kind of thought you might,” Eunhyuk said, pulling into my drive.  It was already dark out—it had been for over an hour, at least—and Ryeowook was probably wondering if I was dead or alive.  In fact, I felt pretty sure he was flipping out by the time we pulled up.  All the lights in my house were flipping on and off.  “Is Ryeowook doing that?”

            “Well, since we didn’t pass any other houses exhibiting Poltergeist activity, I assume so.  He’s never done this before, but that doesn’t mean he can’t.  Other people have told me they’ve seen lights flipping on and off before,” I said, opening the car door.

            “If it’s all the same, as long as you feel safe, I’m just going to head out,” Eunhyuk said, eyeing the house with trepidation.

            Did I feel safe walking into an electrical fury of emotions?  That was questionable.  But I certainly wasn’t going to hide behind someone who had finally just dealt with all his own emotional baggage from the past.  “Thanks for the ride, Hyuk!  Say hi to Donghae for me.”

            “Will do!”

            He drove off long before I reached the door to the house and Ryeowook must have heard the car drive off because suddenly, the house went dark except the outdoor light.  I unlocked the door and walked in. 

            “Ryeowook!”

            He materialized in a moment beside me.  “Where have you been?  I’ve been worried sick!”

            “They only now released me from the hospital,” I told him, locking the door and turning on the light.  “What was up with the lightshow?”

            Ryeowook looked away.  “I was panicked.”

            “I’ve never seen you control the electricity before,” I said, pointing around the room at the lights.

            “I don’t have control over it.  It just happens when I’m upset.”

            I hung up my coat, smiling.  “I missed you too.  I told them they needed to release me early because my boyfriend was flipping out at home.”

            He pivoted around.  “You didn’t really tell them that.”

            I walked into the kitchen, in search of a scissors to cut off my wristband from the hospital.  “I did.”  When I glanced over at him, I could see the slight pink of his cheeks.  I could mostly see through him yesterday, but I could swear, he looked just slightly more solid today.  But I also felt that it was probably a trick of the lighting, depending on how dark it was or how it was hitting him.  “The officers arrested Yesung for your murder, for the attack on me, and for the murder of Hyungsik.”

            Ryeowook sat down.  I’m not sure if ghosts really ever feel lightheaded from shocking news, but habits are so hard to break.  He stared at me in shock.  “For Hyungsik too?”

            “I nodded.  They found a body buried in his yard with his clothes and wallet.  Yesung confessed to murdering him.  In his confession, he claimed that he killed Hyungsik in revenge for killing you,” he explained.  “So, he did not confess to killing you or attacking me.  But they found the poison used in my coffee at the café.”

            “He murdered Hyungsik!  Hyungsik didn’t murder me!  What was he thinking?”

            I shook my head.  “And Siwon told me that when he told your cousin about it, he claimed that he believed Yesung’s story—as far as not having killed you, at least—so he feels somewhat conflicted about it.  But they have enough proof to go to trial, at least.”

            “No, I still have some doubt as well, but I don’t have answers either.  But did Yesung try to poison you to prevent you from finding out about murdering Hyungsik?” he questioned.

            I shook my head.  “It seems like it.”

            Ryeowook ran his hands through his hair and sighed heavily.  “Are you safe?”

            “I think so.”

            “I’ve been terrified since they took you away that something would happen.  I didn’t want anything to happen to you.  But if you did die, would you come back here or be stuck in the hospital?  Would I be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter