Chapter 8: The Plan

Secret Meeting

 

The sunset was reflecting on the dark blue ocean as Seulgi walked down the seemingly endless white sand beach. She couldn’t quite remember how she got here, but Sunmi was walking next to her, holding her hand firmly, so she didn’t really care.   As they stopped, and turned to look into each other’s eyes, Seulgi felt happier than she could remember, but then everything went black as she felt a sudden weight across her back, pushing her down. Opening her eyes, she realized she was in bed, and turning her head, she saw Joohyun laying across her back with a mischievous look on her face.  “Seulgi, wake up..” she said, “It’s time..”. Joohyun rolled off and sat up, straightening Seulgi’s blanket with a slightly guilty expression. Seulgi sat up too and rubbed her eyes, sad that it had just been a dream, but also slightly hopeful that Joohyun’s plan might let it become reality one day. “So what IS your plan, Joohyun-unnie?” she said curiously.  Joohyun hesitated a bit, “Well, I can’t say it yet, but you will find out as the plan comes together..” she continued cautiously. “We will need to make some phone calls to see if it’s ready. But I know we don’t have much time..” Seulgi nodded, thinking nervously about the second anonymous letter that had arrived a few days ago, letting her know that she only had a week to put the money inside a hidden compartment in the elevator of a downtown skyscraper before the pictures would be released.    She knew her performance with Sunmi had been well received, but realized something else would have to happen before those pictures would be accepted by the general population.

Seulgi scooted next to Joohyun, curious what would happen next. Joohyun took a deep breath, and looked through her phone contacts, pausing at the entry for Yongsun.   She gestured to Seulgi to be quiet, took a deep breath, and hit “call”. After what seemed like forever, they heard Yongsun answer cheerfully: “Joohyun, what a pleasant surprise! We don’t talk very often, what’s up?”.  Joohyun paused for bit, and then started slowly: “Yongsun, do you think we can move up our plan a few weeks? Something has happened to Seulgi that makes this time critical. Oh yeah, and I guess she is part of the plan now too” Joohyun added through slightly gritted teeth. “Oh i see..” Yongsun  said said slyly. “So you and S..” before she could continue Joohyun interrupted: “She has a girlfriend!” she said, blushing slightly. Seulgi inadvertently covered , realizing the plan must have something to do with girlfriends, and that Yongsun somehow thought Joohyun was hers. She couldn’t deny that she had sometimes wondered if their friendship could be more than what it was, but every time she had done something to test it, Joohyun had always made it too awkward to go any further.  She had a pang of regret realizing that this might mean Joohyun really did like girls, and maybe they could have had something, but then she remembered how Sunmi never made her doubt what she was doing, and always made her feel loved, and was reassured she had made the right choice.

Snapping herself out of the thoughts of what could have been, Seulgi paid attention to the phone call again.  Joohyun continued: “So… does that mean the four of you are ready?” Yongsun hesitated a bit before answering. “Yes, i think so.. I think most people basically know, but I agree it’s time to just spell it out to people.  Moonbyul is right here and is nodding, so I just need to talk to Wheein and Hyejin to see if they are ready too.. How about you, Joohyun?” Joohyun hesitated before she replied. “Yes, I am in too. I may be single, but that’s irrelevant in this context.  The more of us do it at the same time, the harder it will be for them to tear us down.” Yongsun concurred, and they then agreed to have another call in a few days to set up a final time and place. After hanging up, Joohyun looked at Seulgi with a slightly embarrassed expression. “I am not sure what you thought you heard, but I never implied to Yongsun that you and I... “ she trailed off, looking down, unusually lost for words.  Seulgi put her hand under Joohyun’s chin and tilted it up. “It’s okay, Unnie. I know a lot of people assume we are a thing and I think that’s cute. If I didn’t love Sunmi I would be lucky to have you as my girlfriend!” she continued, blushing at her own directness. “Sunmi is a lucky girl and I am happy for both of you!” Joohyun responded with a slightly awkward smile. Seulgi smiled back, grateful for having such a loyal and understanding friend.

“Okay.. ahem. Where were we?” Joohyun said, shaking her head and looking serious again.  “Ah yes.. Hani..”. Seulgi listen closely as Hani also confirmed that she would be ready to go. Next she called Sana and Eunha, who both said they were ready as well. After the last call, Joohyun put down the phone and looked intently at Seulgi.   “Okay.. you have probably figured out what the plan is, but here is the deal. In a week or so, we will hold a joint press conference, and all at once let the public know that we are gay, and that some of us are in relationships and some of us are not, but that that part is irrelevant;   It’s time our industry and our fans start to realize the truth, and the sooner they accept it, the sooner we can start living our lives without hiding who we are. It’s going to be tough at first, and there will be haters, but what happened to you proves that we can no longer give people with evil intent the opportunity to use how we love and who we love against us.” Seulgi looked at Joohyun with tears in her eyes and had never felt prouder of her leader.   She hugged her tightly and buried her face in her shoulder. “Joohyun.. You are amazing.. I know you said you were working on this for a while, but you are moving all this up just because of me..”. Joohyun petted her head gently and continued calmly: “Of course, Seulgi-ah. You have always been special to me, and I could never stand by and see someone hurt you or make your life miserable. And this is long overdue, so in some ways I am grateful to you and your impulsiveness..” she finished with a mischievous tone.  Seulgi blushed, and realized that that secret meeting could end up changing things forever for many of them. But she was also keenly aware it was too early to tell for sure if it would all be for the better.