Chapter Two

Always and Forever

 “That would be a waste of that artistic voice of yours."

Heechul's words from last night repeat themselves in Jong-woon's mind, over and over until he shakes his head, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips. He runs his fingers through his black hair, leaving it to fall haphazardly in his eyes afterward. He can't remember ever wanting to do anything other than sing, to make people feel something with his voice. Like performing magic without a wand.

Sunlight streams through the castle windows as he wanders, aimless in his destination. He just wants to clear his head. To stop thinking such depressing thoughts. Maybe he should go to Hogsmead. It's Saturday, and he needs to pick up some food for his pet turtles. They weren't techinally on the list of approved pets, but the Headmaster had made an exception for him since he was a Prefect.

The streets are crowded, as usual, and Jong-woon sighs again. Buying the food for Ddangkomaeng is easy enough, the wait in line surprisingly short. The cool fall air blows against his skin and he closes his eyes.

"Hey. watchit. Bloody wanker," somebody mumbles as the bump into.

He holds back yet another sigh and mumbles an apology, bowing quickly before walking on. His feet seem to carry him without thought until he winds up at the Shrieking Shack. Nobody ever comes here. He smiles to himself and sits down, leaning against the broken down fence. Maybe, here in the quiet forgotten place, he can practice his singing without being bothered. Or bothering anyone else.

"It’s coming, it’s falling, between the torn sky." He closes his eyes as he sings, letting the fragrent air wash over him. taking him far away from Hogsmeade and all his problems.


"One drop, two drops, a spring shower, I’m drawing you out, calling out to you."

He remembers the last relationship he'd had, and how badly it had ended. Sometimes, when he's alone at night just before he's about to fall asleep, he can still see Kyuhyun's face the way he used to look at him. That smirk playing along the edges of his lips but his eyes unable to hide a gentle softness most didn't get to see in the younger slytherin. 


"As dawn falls like the rain, all night, I’m in the rain under a paper umbrella." It had been Jong-woon's own fault it had ended. They were just too different. But at least Kyu doesn't hold a grudge. For a moment, he wonders if he should go to the Quidditch match today. Kyu was one of the Beaters on the team. It's been awhile since he went and cheered his friend on.

He takes a deep breath and gets to his feet. Maybe watching the match would take his mind of his melencholy mood. He brushes the bits of grass and dirt of his robes, making sure they were neat and tidy before heading back to the school. If he hurries, he won't miss anyyhing.

 

~*~*~

 

This was a bad idea, he thinks to himself as he watches the match. They were losing. They only seem to lose when he comes, he thinks morosly. He must be the team's bad luck charm. He winces as Kyu takes a bludger to the shoulder, nearly knocking him off his broomstick. The other beater, a girl his age named Annie, swoops in and hits it hard toward the Gryffindor's chaser, Siwon. Jong-woon's eyes widen as the tall, muscular man tries to dodge and fails, the bludger nicking him hard enough in the leg to send him spinning in circles. 

The crowd roars in excitement suddenly and Jong-woon blinks in confusion. Wha- Oh. They caught the damn snitch. He watches as the new Gryffindor Seeker hollars and does flips in midair, holding the snitch between his fingers. 

"Lee Hyukjae has caught the snitch! One hundred and fifty points to Gryffindor for the win!"

Jong-woon frowns, furrowing his brow as he stands to get a closer look at the seeker. His dark black hair is short and fluffer, his eyes sparkling as he grins. He has a cute smile that shows his gums, Jong-woon thinks to himself before shaking his head. Foolish to think that way about anyway, let alone a Gryffindor. 

"Damn it, we lost," Heechul mutters behind him. "I need to tell that idiot not to hit the bludgers so hard. Kyu almost fell out of the sky."

Jong-woon turns, only just now noticing his hyung. "What, hyung?" he asks, brows still furrowed.

Heechul sighs, tucking his hair behind his ear. "Kangin, that big oaf of a beater." As harsh as his words sound, there's a softness to them and Jong-woon remembers that the two were close friends. 

"Oh, you worry too much." Jong-woon looks over at the girl next to him and recognizes her instantly. Gemma Farley, a fellow Slytherin in the same year as him. "Kyuhyun's taken worse hits before," she continues, brushing her long, brown hair out her clear blue eyes.

Heechul glares at her, lips pursed. "Whatever," he scoffs.

Gemma rolls her eyes, a small smile on her face. "Don't be so sensitive," she chirps. "When's our next match against Ravenclaw?"

"Why would I know what?" Heechul asks, lip curled. 

Jong-woon chuckles. "In three weeks, I think," he answers.

She pouts a little, lips puckered together. "Well, that ," she replies with a sigh. "Three whole weeks seems so long."

Jong-woon raises an eyebrow. "Someone you're hoping to see?" he asks, curisoity tugging at him.

Her face turns deep red but she shakes her head. "No, uh, no. I, uh, have to go. Study. I need to go study. Yes. Bye!" 

Jong-woon watches in bemusement as she scurries off, her green and silver scarf trailing behind her. He turns back to Heechul and raises both brows as he notcies his hyng staring up at the commentator, Park Jeong-su. Heechul is scowling again, brows furrowed tight and lips turned down in a frown. "Hyung?" he asks, uncertain.

"What?" he snaps, before sighing. "Nevermind. Let's go."

Jong-woon follows behind him, wondering what could be bothering the older boy. Well, whatever it is, Heechul isn't likely to share it with him. A sharp pain shoots through his shoulder as someone runs into him. It's the second time today, only this time it isn't his fault.

"Ah, sorry, sunbaenim," a voice says.

Jong-woon looks down a bit and recognizes the boy as Lee Hyukjae. The seeker that had just stolen their victory.

"You should be more careful," Jong-woon says firmly, peering down at the slightly younger boy through his glasses. 

Hyukjae nods and bows again. "I will, I'm sorry."

Jong-woon can feel his ears turning a bit red as he notices what full, naturally pouty lips he has. Jong-woon shakes his head as he turns to walk away, trying to knock such ridiculous thoughts from his mind. 

You've sworn off dating, remember, idiot? You're not suited for it. Don't be foolish.

He sighs once again as he stares up at the darkening sky. Looks like rain. He closes his eyes as the first few drops fall down, splattering against his cheeks. This is what suites him. Clouds and rain.