Chapter One

Always and Forever

The dungeon is dank and musty and smells of rotting fruit today. Heechul idly spins his quill in his hand, a bored expression clear on his face. The increasingly louds sound of the Professor scolding one of his fellow students for a potion gone wrong is ringing in his ear, loud and obnoxious.

Heechul just wants the day to be over. Tomorrow’s a Quidditch match. A strange tingling sensation runs down his spine as he thinks about it. That stupid Ravenclaw, Park Jeong-su, would be providing his usual boring commentary during the match. He thinks he’s so special, Heechul thinks to himself, barely suppressing a scoff. Always stealing the spotlight and trying to be the center of everyone’s attention with his weird antics and that ridiculous laugh of his.

Heechul can see him clear in his mind. His deep, tanned skin and that big, bright smile. His dumb light brown hair, shining in the sun as he peers through his glasses at whatever book he’s studying. When he’s not attention seeking in the main halls or in the middle of class, Jeong-su is studying quietly, usually outside under a tree if the weather is nice enough. His thick brows furrowing in concentration, a thoughtful expression on his usually playful face.

So caught up in his own thoughts, Heechul doesn’t even realize potion’s class is over until the other students rush by him, bumping his table in their mad dash toward the exit. Slowly, he puts his spell books and materials back in his bag, a soft sigh escaping his lips. Classes are finally over for the day. He adjusts his black and green Slytherin robes before making his way through the door and out of the musty dungeon.

“Hey! Kim Heechul! Wait up,” a voice calls from behind him.

Heechul turns, his bored smirk turning into a soft smile at the sight of Kim KangIn running behind him, robes askew and his spikey hair a mess. “Your hair looks like you were on the wrong end of a baubillious charm,” Heechul replies as a way of greeting.

KangIn frowns, touching his hair gently as he reaches his friend. “Really? I spent hours on it today,” he whines, a pout forming on his square face. “Dammit.”

Heechul smirks, playfully hitting his childhood friend on the shoulder. “You should have spent a few more,” he quips.

KangIn continues to frown as they walk the halls, ignoring the whispers of their classmates. Theirs is an unlikely friendship; a Slytherin and a Gryffindor. But they had grown up together and not even the sorting hat could break their bond.

Heechul sighs. He’s the first Slytherin in his entire family. All the rest are proud Hufflepuffs. He can still remember the shock on his mother and father’s faces that first year, when they had found out their youngest child had been placed in the most loathed Hogwarts House.

But it isn’t as bad as people think. Not all Slytherin’s are bad people. Gen Farley, his fellow Head of House, is a sweet girl with a lot of ambition and pride. She enjoys helping the younger students and always has a smile on her face. She's the one who taught Heechul not to mind what the others said about Slytherins. She taught him that they didn’t all hate muggle borns, like most people claim. She even confided in him that her twin sister is a Squib. Sure, some are mean and nasty and prejudice, just like the rumours say. But those were just the loudest Slytherins, not the majority.

Heechul’s thoughts are interrupted when KangIn punches him in the shoulder. “Hey, don’t look so sour. Your boyfriend’s heading this way,” he teases.

Heechul looks up to see Jeong-su walking down the hall, surrounded by a crown of people and laughing his loud, dumb laugh. Heechul sneers. “I hate him so much,” he mutters.

KangIn snorts. “Yeah? Is that why I caught you staring at him during lunch yesterday?”

“I was staring with hatred.”

The sound of KangIn’s laughter echoes in the hall. “Right, it’s not because you think he’s cute, nope not at all.”

“I hate you, too,” Heechul retorts, frowning as he meets Jeong-su’s gaze. Jeong-su’s smile falters for a second before slipping back into place, highlighting the dimple that only appears on one side.

Heechul stumbles a bit as KangIn throws his arm around his shoulders, the younger but more bulky man’s weight too much for Heechul’s thin frame. “Oof. Get off,” he mutters, but smiles, no real heart behind his words.

"You can't fool me, Heenim. You're a softie under that snark of yours," KangIn says with a laugh.

Heechul frowns. "Say that again and I'll kill you," he replies. “Anyway, I have to go the common room. Gen wants to meet about Head of House .”

KangIn nods and ruffles Heechul’s perfectly kempt hair. “Yeah, Alexa wants to do the same. See ya later, hyung.”

Heechul frowns, fixing his hair the best he can before slowly making his way toward the Slytherin common room. The large dungeon area is always chilly, far too cold for his liking but Gen tries to warm the place up a bit by keeping the fire lit and blankets stock pilled nearby.

Heebum greets him when he enters with a loud and hungry meow. Heechul reaches down and picks up the large, grey cat and buries his face in his fur. At least his cat will keep him warm until the meeting is over.

~*~*~

Heechul suppresses a yawn and stretches, forcing Heebum to jump off his lap. The cat wanders off on his own, probably to catch some mice for his supper, and Heechul finally stands up. Gen had called an end to the meeting and most of the Prefects had left except Park Jong-woon.

The yonger boy’s black hair falls in front of his eyes, giving a very broody look to his thin, tall frame. His lips are pursed together as if he’s lost in his own thoughts. Heechul kicks his leg, a smirk already forming on his face.

Jong-woon stares up at him, frowning. “Yes, hyung?” he asks, his deep voice surprisingly calm for someone who had just been kick in the shin.

“Still deciding a stage name?” Heechul asks, smirk changing to a smile.

Jong-woon shrugs. “I don’t know, hyung. My parents want me to pick a different career. I wonder if I shouldn’t give up on being a singer.”

Heechul shrugs, placing a hand on his young friend’s shoulder. “And what would you do?”

Jong-woon crinkles his nose. “Mother wants me to become a herbologist. Father says I should do something practical, like become a Federal Wand Permit Officer.”

Heechul blanches at the thought. “That would be a waste of that artistic voice of yours,” he mumbles. “Anyway, don’t give up. Those jobs sound so boring for someone like you.”

Jong-woon nods absentmindedly, staring morosely into the fire pit. Heechul sighs. The common room was never a place he enjoyed hanging out in. Too damn cold.

He wanders the halls, grateful that it isn’t past hours yet. Somehow, he finds himself in the library. It’s quiet and empty as Heechul wanders the many rows.

A soft sound catches his ears. Is that the sound of someone crying? Curiously, he tiptoes toward the source, a few rows over by the books on magical creatures. His eyes widen in shock as he sees the usually smiling Park Jeong-su on the floor, surrounded by books, with tears flowing down his cheeks.

The Ravenclaw Head of House looks up at him, eyes widening in surprise as he wipes his face. “Kim Heechul? What are you doing here?” He whispers the question, his normally loud and obnoxious voice so soft and quiet and full of sadness.

A thousand questions flood Heechul’s mind as he stares down at the crying boy at his feet. He rubs the back of his neck, suddenly awkward and unsure of what to say.

Jeong-su sniffs and wipes his face again as he gets to his feet. “Don’t tell anyone, okay?” he whispers, the words sounding like a plea. He goes to walk away but Heechul grabs his wrist. He’s not even sure why he does it. He hates Jeong-su.

Doesn’t he?

“Why were you crying?” he asks, the question surprising him as soon as the words leave his mouth. He’s not sure why he cares, but his chest has felt tight ever since he first came upon the sight of Jeong-su in tears.

Jeong-su freezes, body tense. “I wasn’t. I was practicing for a scene in a play,” he replies, tone carefully casual as he tries to pull away.

“Bull,” Heechul replies, hand slipping off his wrist. “Whatever, I don’t care.”

As he walks away, he can hear Jeong-su sigh. It’s faint, but he’s sure he hears him say, “I know.”