2 - Zeroes

Abnormally Normal

It was here, the class she had been dreading. Gym class, the class where everything could go wrong. The most powerful kids didn't have to worry about anything, their reaction times and speeds just as good as teleportation. So, it's rather obvious Mirae was going to stick out. After all, she was a Zero - the people most looked down on in their world, the people with no power whatsoever.

"So, you're Mirae? My name's Mr. Jang, and I'm your gym teacher." Mirae nodded at his welcome, and quietly joined the rest of the students. She hated being so quiet, but it had only been half a day and she was pretty sure she gathered herself quite a lot of haters. So, she decided to lay low for a while. Preferably for the rest of the year, at this rate.

And somehow, she ended up playing... dodgeball. The most cliche way for someone to get bullied. To be fair, she didn't know if she was a target of bullying yet - what if everyone forgot about her? - but this still was horrible. Mirae sighed as the whistle screeched through her ear, and balls started whipping across the room like bullets. 

Standing awkwardly at the back of the gym, she realized her gym marks were the least of her concerns. 

"Hey... isn't that her?"

"Oh my god, I think it really is."

"Wow, she even looks powerless. Did you hear how she walked into Kai today? I can't believe the nerve of her - and she looks ugly, too."

Shooting a dodgeball away with flash in her eyes, just barely tilting her head, the taller of the girls suggested, "This is boring, as usual. What do you say... we have some fun today?" A smirk appeared on their faces, as they turned and walked to Mirae.

Mirae didn't want to be intimidated, but even the way they looked at her made her feel like she wanted to run away from the school (not that she didn't already). Still, she acted casual. "Hey, I'm Mirae. Who are you?"

The girl with smooth, shoulder-length brown hair scoffed, her perfectly sculpted eyes showing amusement. "Who the hell do you think you are, talking to us like that?" She was gorgeous, everything that Mirae was not. Her clear, bright skin and her rosy cheeks and lips made her look like a goddess - though evidently, her personality was more like that of a devil.

The other girl kicked Mirae's shin with her slim legs - so lightly that it was irritating. "Why don't we introduce ourselves so this little weakling over here can figure out what the problem is here?" Her Barbie-like long, blonde hair and her perfect bangs swayed slightly as she leaned down to talk to Mirae. "My name is Lisa, and I'm the most powerful girl at this school. My power level? 93. If you think you can even stand next to me, you're wrong." She gave a bright smile and shoved Mirae to the ground.

"And my name's Nayeon," the other girl followed her. "Everyone in this school listens to us, for your information. I'm quite disappointed you didn't hear about us earlier."

Leaning against the wall and feeling a bruise on her back, Mirae scoffed. "Hear about you earlier? I was here for half a day - not that I'd want to hear about people like you at all, anyways."

Nayeon glared at her, and it took just one punch from her before Mirae was out like a light.

"Wow, the Zeroes really live up to their name. Zero in power, zero in looks, zero in brain," Lisa laughed. Nayeon high-fived her.

"This could be fun for a while."

--------------------------------

Mirae's eyes softly opened, and she could just barely make out that she was in the school's hospital. She blinked a few times to clear her eyes, recalling what had just happened. Wow, I'm really screwed. Jeez, why did I even come to this school? I really should have known that this would happen.

A sudden voice startled her. "Hey there! You got your whooped in gym class, so I brought you here." She looked in the direction of the cheery voice, and saw a boy sitting on a chair, swinging his legs happily and waving. 

"Uh... who are you?" Mirae asked.

"I'm Byun Baekhyun, more commonly known as 'The Zero.' But now I'm not the only Zero, because you're here!" His chirpy voice caught her off guard, and she found herself smiling before she knew it. When he laughed, his bright smile and his attractive eyes -- Wait. Did I just call him attractive? Mirae thought to herself. 

Baekhyun looked at her with concern. "Hey... your cheeks are red. Should I call the doctor?"

Mirae shook her head quickly and tried to change the topic. "Nope, I'm fine. So, uh... how do you survive as a Zero in this place?"

He thought for a moment, and then grinned. "I don't. My friend just saves my every time."

"Your friend?"

"Yeah... Actually, you might have heard of him, because he's the most powerful person in our school. You know... Kai."

Mirae froze up at that name. Kai. That goddamn Kai. How the hell did such a nice guy like Baekhyun become friends with someone like Kim Jongin? She sighed. "Uh... I think I'd rather survive in a different way."

"You can hang out with us, you know. The three of us can be friends, and besides, what girl doesn't want to talk to Kai?" He wiggled his eyebrows and Mirae.

"Me," she deadpanned.

Baekhyun looked at her curiously, so she explained. "I walked into him. He kicked my . What else is there to say? That "friend" of yours has an awful temper." He frowned. 

"He's not all that bad, you know. He can be a really nice guy if you get to know him."

"Unfortunately, I really don't want to get to know him," Mirae responded. She paused, and there was an awkward silence for a few moments. "Let's just... talk about something else. It's been kind of overwhelming here, and I haven't even been here for a day." 

Baekhyun smiled understandingly and ruffled her hair, and she smiled gratefully back. At least... she wasn't completely alone.