1 - First Day

Abnormally Normal

Seo Mirae clutched the letter in her hand. 

"Congratulations," she read it out loud. "You have been accepted into Brookston High School… I CAN'T WAIT!" she squealed.

Mirae was incredibly smart, and with her intellect, she had gotten accepted to the top high school in Korea. She looked at her uniform. It was so pretty and it looked so high quality compared to her previous school's uniform. Today was her first day at Brookston, and it was going to be great. She lost a lot of weight recently, she got a new haircut, she had her new uniform, she was going to a new school - it was perfect. Except for two tiny issues.

First of all, transfer students would never be able to fit in. Everyone already made their friend groups and decided who they'd stick with for the rest of the year. If someone new ends up barging in, they're awkwardly out of place.

Second of all, she was normal. That's good, right? She wanted nothing more than to be invisible. The only problem was that nobody else was normal. Seo Mirae lived in a world where everyone had powers, except for her. And it's digging your own grave to strut into a high school with the most powerful kids in the country with no power of your own. She was abnormally normal.

Mirae sighed. She just destroyed her own hopes of having a great year. "Whatever," she thought to herself. "I'll do whatever I can to fit in." She figured that since she'd be with the smartest and strongest kids in the country, they'd hopefully be nicer. She put her pretty uniform on, combed her hair a few more times, and quickly fixed her soft pink lipstick. She went downstairs, but she was too nervous to eat anything. She drank a glass of milk and hugged her mom. "Good luck, sweetie. You'll be fine," Mrs. Seo reassured her. With a quick kiss and a pat on the back, Mirae was off to school.

--------------------------------

"Quiet down, class! HEY, XIUMIN! DON'T KICK CHEN! Can you all calm down?" The calculus teacher yelled. "We have a transfer student today." The class fell into silence, and then they became even louder. 

"Is it a girl or a boy?" "I hope it's a cute girl~" "I need a hot guy in my life right now!" The teacher hushed them. "She's a girl." The boys in the classroom sat up straight in their seats (and one girl in the classroom sat up lesbian in her seat). "Please come in."

Shaking with nervousness and excitement, Mirae walked into the classroom. "H - hi everyone! I'm Seo Mirae. Please take care of me!"

The class clapped. "Please take a seat next to Park Joy, right over there," the teacher pointed out a seat to Mirae. Joy smiled and moved her books over to give Mirae space. No longer shaking, she introduced herself to Joy.

"Hi, I'm Mirae."

"Hey, I'm Joy. Welcome to Brookston, Mirae! It's really fun here, I promise." Mirae smiled at Joy. This wouldn't be so bad after all, as long as nobody asked her the question.

"Hey Mirae, what's your power?" called two girls, curiously. Mirae froze up. 

What would she do? Would they hate her? Pity her? She didn't know what to say. She could lie and say that she had a power, something that they couldn't see. Mind reading? Hypnosis? Healing? There was nothing she could pretend to have for very long. Sooner or later, people would ask her to show it. She decided to tell the truth.

"I - I don't have a power." 

The class fell into silence. "You WHAT?" they chorused. 

Joy's facial expression turned sour and she moved her desk away in disgust. Mirae turned behind her to look at the two guys whose nametags read "Oh Sehun" and "Park Chanyeol," but they avoided her gaze as if she was Medusa and they'd turn to stone if they made eye contact. She looked to the desk beside her, but Son Wendy just gave her a sympathetic smile and turned away to continue whispering with her friends. She looked around the classroom. Nobody was looking at her, except for one tall boy sitting by the window and giving her a hard, calculating stare. 

Tears welled up in her eyes, and she bit her lip. Again... it was happening again. Stronger people didn't mean better people, it just meant they'd hurt her more painfully. She took a deep breath and decided that no matter what anyone thought, she'd make sure she had a great year all by herself.

She was wrong.

--------------------------------

She walked down the cafeteria, holding her lunch tray. Unlike her previous school, the rice was perfectly cooked and the cookies were soft and filled with gooey chocolate chips. She had planned this scene in her head before - she'd gracefully walk down the rows of tables as everyone would stare at her, and they'd all invite her to sit at their table, and she'd sassily reject all but one. 

But now, holding her luxurious tray of food, she felt incredibly out of place. Everyone stared at her, but it was because she was the weak girl. "They say she's a 0." "A literal 0? She has absolutely no power?" (Power is measured on a scale from 0 - 100. The average person is a 50, and the highest are around 95.) She trudged to the very back of the cafeteria, with her head low and her hair disheveled (after a couple of girls decided to pull her hair to show her that she's weak). Mirae wanted to disappear, and then what she had dreaded the most happened. She walked right into someone and spilled her food all over the floor. 

Everyone gasped. "That b*tch!" the girls whispered. "Damn, that's a first," the boys called. She looked up in embarrassment and saw that she just walked into the guy who was sitting by the windows.

"I - I'm sorry," she said through watery eyes while trying to read his name tag. "I'm really sorry Kim... Jongin."

The cafeteria fell into a hush. "Did she just call him by his real name?" Kim Jongin glared at her and brushed the food on his shoe against her jacket.

"," Mirae muttered. 

"That's Kai to you, girl," he said. "Not Jongin, and definitely not ." Mirae's face flushed with embarrassment. She may have said that too loud.

Kai's handsome face frowned in annoyance and disgust, and with a flick of his hand that seemed to be glowing, the food was gone. And with another flick of his hand, Seo Mirae flew across the cafeteria and was slammed into the wall. 

The strongest student in the country's top school combed his hair with his hands and walked out of the cafeteria. Mirae had just walked into the famous but terrifying Kim Jongin - rather,  - on her first day of school.

She thought to herself, "I'm so dead." 

For once, she was right.