Chapter 2

Summer Love

Seulgi, who is half asleep, walked her way to the dining room with her blanket wrapped around her body. She looked over the clock and began to whine when she realized that it’s still 6:30 in the morning. “Mom, the sun is not even out yet. Classes are over, why do I have to get up this early?”

“We’re all going to the mansion.” Her mom simply replied as she grab her by the shoulders and made her sit down in the chair.

“Do I really have to go?” She continued to whine.

“Can you stop whining and just eat? It’s too early for that.” Her brother Xiumin, replied before he shove a big spoon of rice in his mouth.

“Umin is going, right? Can he be my representative then? Mom, I’m tired.”

“Kang Seulgi, open your eyes and start eating before you get yourself on trouble.” Her mom began putting food in her plate. “I knew you came home late last night.”

Seulgi’s eyes widen before she glared at her brother.

“What are you looking at me for?” He replied in defense.

“You were such in a hurry that you didn’t even realized that you passed by your parents.” Their mom gave her that ‘you got busted’ look.

Xiumin, on the other hand, chuckled. “You idiot."

Seulgi just rolled her eyes and began eating. “By the way, where’s dad?” She asked as she looked around.

“Oh, he left early. He’s picking up someone from the city, so we will just meet him in the mansion.” Their mom replied.

“He went to the city? And he didn’t even take me with him? Wow, dad is really unbelievable.” Xiumin said in disbelief. “I’ve always wanted to go in the city and he promised me that he will take me with him next time.”

“Oh, stop whining. It’s too early for that.” Seulgi mocked.

“Shut up.” Xiumin replied. “What is he doing in the city, mom?”

“Picking up Madam’s granddaughter.”

“Madam’s granddaughter is real?” Seulgi asked.

“Of course, stupid.” Xiumin replied. “You think she just grab a picture from the internet, put it in a frame, and then hang it around the mansion? You're such a dummy.” He shook his head.

"Whatever." Seulgi replied as she rolled her eyes.

"Stop it you two. Too early for that." Their mom said. "Yes, Madam's granddaugther is real and she is going to be spending her summer here."

"A city girl spending her summer in this town?" Xiumin asked. "There's no way she's going to last here even for a week, mom."

Their mom nod, agreeing with what her son just stated. "It's going to be the first time too that she's going to be spending more than a day with Madam. I've heard a lot of things about her. Hopefully, everyone in the mansion will not be having a hard time."

"So, is she like the typical rich kid that is troublemaker?" Xiumin asked while Seulgi just listened to their conversation, looking back and forth to whoever is speaking.

"Xiumin, we are not supposed to judge someone based on what we heard about them. Didn't your dad and I thought you both about that?" Their mom began to lecture.

"You and your choice of words." Seulgi glared at her brother. "Mom, he just watches too much dramas on t.v. that he based everything on it." She paused. "So, mom. Is she the girl on the big frame by the stairs?"

"Madam only has one grandkid. Of course, that's her." Xiumin replied.

"Are you mom?" Seulgi asked and they began to banter.

"Stop!" They instantly stopped and looked at their mom with puppy eyes, hoping not to get themselves in trouble. "Both of you go get change and come down as soon as you're done. Hurry!"

Seulgi immediately got up, put her plates on the sink and run to her room. As soon as she shut the door, she saw the teddy bear on her bed. A smile plastered on her face when she remembered what exactly happened last night.

~

Seulgi arrived at the fair 30 minutes before their meet-up time. She was already at the ferris wheel, nervously waiting for her friends and Wendy. She still can't believed that she will be going on date with her longtime crush. 5 years later, now they are juniors going to be seniors. It took her long enough to have this moment with Wendy.

It was the third week of being a 6th grade student. She remembered exactly where she first saw her. It was during recess, under the tree at the field. Seulgi was playing dodge ball with her friends when the ball rolled towards the group of friends under the tree. She ran towards it and a girl was already holding it in her hands.

"Here." The girl as she hands the ball towards Seulgi.

"T-thank you." Seulgi replied before she grabbed the ball. She was about to ran back to her friends when the girl suddenly wiped her face with a handkerchief.

Seulgi just looked at the girl in shock. Confused on what just happened.

"Oh, there was a mud on your face. Sorry." The girl apologized. "My name is Wendy, by the way."

Seulgi just looked at her and she just absolutely feel her cheeks getting warm so instead of introducing herself, she just turned her back and ran towards her friends. Deeply embarassed by what she did that she decided never to associate herself around Wendy.

"Kang Seulgi." She looked back and saw the couple, Joy and Sungjae, walking towards her.

"Aren't we too excited here?" Sungjae began to teased. "You're too early."

"I'm always early. I've been awarded most punctual since I was in grade school." She sacrastically brag.

"Oh..." Sungjae replied with a tease.

"So, are you nervous?" Her bestfriend asked.

She nodded in response. "I've been cracking my knuckles ever since I got home. I don't know what to do."

"Relax. Just be you." Joy patted her shoulders.

5 minutes before 7, Wendy arrived at the ferris wheel. Seulgi being all shy, hid behind Joy. Her bestfriend literally had to drag her infront of her. They both greeted each other and they all began exploring the fair. After a few rides all together, the couple decided to ditch the two. Seulgi began feeling anxious because she's never good at talking to people. With Wendy's decision and Seulgi just going with the flow, they decided to try and ride the ferris wheel.

"So, will you still be going to the same school next year?" Wendy asked while eating cotton candy.

"Y-yeah." She paused. "You?"

Wendy nodded in response. "What about college? What's your plans?"

Seulgi shrugged in return. "I don't really know. What about you?"

"Hmm... My parents want me to go to Seoul for college but I wanted to study abroad."

"Th-that's nice." She began to feel sad when she heard about what her crush's plans for college. They stayed quiet for the rest of the ride, both were just admiring the view and mostly Seulgi stealing glances.

When it was time to go home, Wendy stated that she really had a lot of fun and that they should hang out more especially now that classes are over. They all agreed in response. Wendy bid goodbye to everyone and side-hugged Seulgi before she handed her the small teddy bear that she won earlier. Of course, the couple gave her a teasing look and Sungjae was about to say something when Joy elbowed his stomach, stopping him from teasing her bestfriend.

~

The Kang Family is one of the many families that works at the mansion. The owner of the mansion, an old lady that everyone calls Madam, is known to be the richest family in the town. Madam doesn't just own the mansion but also a farm and a small village wherein all her workers lives. She's not just rich but also has a kind heart. She sponsors and finance the town for improvement purposes. In short, she's the most respected person in town.

"Where did you go last night?" Their mom asked after she locked the front door of their house.

"I went out with Joy." She answered as the three of them began to walk towards the mansion. "Is she going to be there too?"

"Obviously, idiot. Mom just said that Madam wants everyone to be there in the mansion." Xiumin sarcastically replied. "Do you by chance know that her family also works for Madam?" He mockingly asked.

"Whatever." Seulgi said as she rolled her eyes.

"Is Joy dating the police man's kid?" Xiumin asked out of nowhere which caused Seulgi's eyes to widen. Joy being in a relationship is unknown in the village. Only her and Seulgi knew about her secret dating life.

"What?" Seulgi smiled and gave her brother a look, a signal that hopefully he will be able to get.

"Joy is dating?" Their mom looked at Seulgi.

"No." Seulgi shakes her head. "S-she's not."

"I saw them tho, that Sung...Sungjae? Yeah, that kid. The policeman's kid, mom. I saw him with Joy at the store. They were holding hands and eating ice creams."

"So, what are we supposed to do there mom?" Seulgi asked to change the topic.

"To welcome Madam's granddaughter." Their mom replied. Seulgi thanked all the Gods before she exhales and glared at her brother, who finally got her signal and went with the flow.

"Basically, we're throwing a feast to welcome her granddaughter?" He asked.

Their mom nodded in response. "Madam wants everyone to be there so her granddaughter will feel welcomed." Their mom smiled. "She was so excited when she received that call from her son saying that their daughter is going to be spending summer with her grandma. She was so happy that she was dancing around the mansion, a sight that no one has ever seen." She paused. "The two of you, please don't banter at the mansion. This day is important for Madam."

"Oh geez, mom. We're not kids anymore." Xiumin said.

"Both of you have been bantering this whole time."

"We're not, mom. Besides, Umin is probably going to hang out with Chanyeol while I will hang out with Joy." Seulgi said.

"So, is Joy really dating the policeman's kid?" Their mom asked that the siblings just looked at each other.

"The Kang's are here." They heard someone said and their mom's attention was immediately drifted from the topic and they all went in the mansion.

Everyone started greeting them as soon as they step in the mansion. Bowing here and there. Madam sure has a lot of workers considering that the mansion is almost full. Seulgi looked around for Joy and suddenly her bestfriend is already in front of her.

"Hey, I heard Madam's granddaughter is going to spend her summer here." Joy excitedly said.

Seulgi nodded in reply. "Yeah, it's like a feast in here."

"Mom said that she should be around our age."

"Really?"

"Yeah, maybe we can hang out all together." Joy paused. "If she's nice."

"Oh, come on. You're like Umin. Judging people based on where they are from."

"You never know, people from the city always thinks that people from outside the city are like ignorant cave men."

"They obviously have a lot of things going on in the city compared here and I'm sure there's a lot of things that we don't even know it exists until we go to the city."

Joy nodded. "I just hope she's nice." She smiled.

"Hopefully." Seulgi muttered.

 

 

A/N:

Hello. How have you all been?