Chapter 4

Cross Road

Hani

I still can't believe that I'm late today. I will miss my revision with Teacher Lee! I have lots to catch up in class. I grumbled to myself. 

What's worse is that unexpectedly I came to school with Sehun but he seemed happy to be late. Well, I'm not surprised, he's never early for once and he's always in detention with his mates. He seems to enjoy - wasting his time. After Teacher Yong got us to write down our names and classes, we were asked us to surrender our handphones and student IDs so that we won't skip detention after school. Throughout the whole day in school - I was in class, in fact, I didn't even go for lunch, I left the class only for toilet breaks.

Not long after, the bell rings, the school finally ended. As I was packing up my bag for detention, I heard a voice coming from the corridor of my class.

"Oh my god, I'll be going detention today! I can't wait to see Sehun!" I could hear the excitement in her voice.

When I looked up to see who it was, she was walking past my classroom,  Nam Rica, the dream girl to most guys at school but in her eyes, there was only Sehun. It got me realized how weird Sehun is - he couldn't care less for Rica.

She never gives up trying to get his attention though, she will even purposely come to school late, just to go detention. As soon as I've packed everything in my bag, I left my classroom - for detention.

"Alright, since the exam period is drawing near, I will give you revision time. Make full use of it!" announced Teacher Yong. I was so thankful to Teacher Yong for giving me the opportunity to do my self-study, at least I wasn't wasting any time doing all those corrective work in school.

Instantly, I took out my personal timetable to check what's the next subject, I need to go through for my personal revision. As soon as Teacher Yong left the classroom, the students all started to chit-chat. I was about to take out my earpiece from my bag when I remembered that I didn't have my phone with me. 

Damn... Hopefully, I'm able to concentrate with all this chattering. I said to myself.

I was just about to open my book when someone sat beside me. So I turn to look at who it was, to my surprise it was one of Sehun's friends. I only knew he is Sehun's friend but I had no clue what's his name. He gives off this impression of a cute, bubbly guy yet cheeky person at the same time.

He gave me a warm smile and said, "Hi! I'm Baekhyun! You are? I've never noticed you before. Which class are you in?" Suddenly I became aware of my current expression, I look bewildered; from the corner of my eyes, I could see someone grinning towards our direction but I couldn't care less.

He gives off a different presence unlike Sehun - aloof and He is somewhat overly friendly - unlike Sehun but the similarity is that they like to ask a few questions at a time and random ones too.

"Hi, I'm Lee Hani from class 4B," I said as I turn back to look at my book when he intercepted me with another question. 

"Oh, Hi Lee Hani. So we're the same age! Is this your first time in detention? I think so right?" He giggles and continued but this time his voice was slightly louder. "So you know Sehun? I saw you with him this morning. If you're coming to school with Sehun, then you'll always be late. Do keep that in mind." He laughed again and turn to look at Sehun from the other side of the classroom.

Though I don't understand why he said all that but he sure got everyone's attention on me. I never liked getting unnecessary attention, I preferred to avoid it at all cost. At that moment, I could feel someone staring intensely at me. I turned to face the owner of the stare and I saw Rica looking at me. The last thing I ever wanted was to get in her way, she's pretty much aggressive when it comes to Sehun. Overprotective I might add.

In an instant, I said, "Huh? Sehun? Who's that?" I had to pretend he didn't exist, well at least for these few hours.

"You don't know who he is? Are you sure? Hmm... It didn't seem like the case, this morning... I'm sure you guys..." Without having to finish his sentence, I interrupted him.

"You must have been mistaken Baekhyun-ssi and I'm the kind of person who doesn't notice my surroundings. I don't know anyone by the name of Sehun though." 

This guy might get me into trouble if he continues.' I thought.

"Anyway, I would like to continue with my self-study, you don't mind, right? Nice to meet you by the way Baekhyun-ssi." I gave him the most sincere smile I could and turned to my book.

I think I caught him off guard as he only replied me with "Ok." He then stands up and went back to sit with his mates.

Sehun

Just as Baek came back to his seat, I whispered to him, "Why did you do that? You'll get her into trouble, you know." As I gave a quick glance at her and back to Baekhyun. "Why not? She looks better than that Nam Rica, who keeps following you everywhere you go. It's so annoying."

Then the four of us turn to look at Rica, who happens to be looking at our direction and all of us turn back to face each other. 

"I mean, yes I know she's psychotic but because she is, I don't want Rica getting all aggressive towards Hani." That was the first time I ever said her name, all this while I never knew her name. I never got a chance to or I just didn't put the effort to know.

Suddenly I heard Jongin chuckled, "So you have changed, you were just ego not to admit it." He said in a mocking tone. 3 pairs of eyes, looking at me, waiting for me to admit it but I tried to divert their attention and changed the topic.

"We'll be having football training later right?" I asked making it sound like I was really curious.

"Of course we do, like always." Replied Chanyeol, being obvious. And I noticed from the corner of my eyes, that Jongin let out a sigh and shakes his head. 

He knows me too well, I sighed.

Hours later, the detention class ended. Teacher Yong was calling out our names one by one to return our handphones and Student IDs. After a while, only me and Hani were the only ones left.

"Oh Sehun." I stood up and walked towards Teacher Yong, I left the class after I retrieved back my stuff from him.

"Lee Hani." I could hear Teacher Yong calling out her name, just as I exited from the classroom door.

My footsteps came to a halt, so many things run through my mind in that instant - thinking if I should wait for her or just go off for my football training. That's when I felt a thud on my back - someone just bangs onto me.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." She said.

In an instant, I could recognize her voice. "Oh! You're still here? Why were you standing right in front of the door?" She asked.

I turned to look at her but my mind was blank. I didn't know what to say or how to start a conversation with her.

"You alright? Sehun?" She snapped her small frail fingers in between my eyes. That definitely worked! I snapped out of my daze.

"Oh? Ahh... I was just thinking if I might have left something in detention class... Urm, but guess not." I stammered.

"Oh. I see. Well, okay then. I'll make a move first. See you around." She smiled and turned to her right toward the stairs. I kept asking myself this, all the time and I still don't know the answer. Like a robot, I followed her. It felt like I couldn't control my body, it was like she had a remote controller to control my every move.

I stopped in my tracks when she turns to look at means asked, "Where are you going? Home?"

"Urm... Football training."

"But isn't the gym, the other way?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Ah... Yeah but I have to go to the locker first to put my stuff."

Fast thinking, Sehun ah! You could have gotten caught, I thought.

"Oh. Then you should have said earlier, we can walk down together. Come on, or you'll be late. But you're never early anyway right?" She teased me.

For the first time in my life, I felt that everything about a girl is mesmerizing. I've never really looked at other girls before, I mean, yes I've had crushes but that was it. With her, I'm doing things, I've never done before. An unknown feeling. Every little thing she does keeps me off guard and now she's even joking with me. 

"Oh. So you've been noticing me is it?" I gave her a cheeky smile and there she goes again! She begins to fluster, even her ears start to turn red. It was so easy to make her blush and I liked it. 

Why am I like this? I notice everything about her, I wondered.

"Hmm... Well, not really." She said shyly. "Well we should get going, you don't want to be late right?"

"Yeah let's go." As we walked done the stairs I asked her, "So where are you going after this? Home?"

"Oh. Urm... Probably the library? I'm going to continue my self-study, afterwards to work." 

"Work again? Aren't you tired? You don't seem to get enough sleep." I regretted what I said afterwards, I felt like I was some stalker.

"Huh? Oh. Urm... I'll take a nap at the library if I need to."

"Oh okay. Well, then I'll see you around." I said as we reached level 2, the same level as the library.

"Yeah. See you around." And she walks towards the library as I made my way down to the locker room. 

As I entered the room, the guys were there, still changing. "What took you so long? We changed slowly just to wait for you." Baekhyun said.

"Oh. Teacher Yong called out my name 2nd last. That's why." I said casually, it wasn't entirely a lie. Just then I noticed Jongin staring at me, his eyes filled with suspicion.

"Really? Or were you with Hani?" Jongin jested with a smirk on his face.

I knew he noticed something odd about me lately but I'm not going to admit it.

"No. Why would I be?" I said as I rolled my eyes.

I walked towards my locker and started changing into my football jersey. I tried my very best to pretend like everything is normal but knowing Jongin, I won't be able to keep this up for long. I'll get caught eventually, he just knows me too well.

"Hmm... Sehun ah! We've been friends for a long time already, I would like it if you stop pretending and just get the cat out of the bag. You like her don't you? But you don't know why and you're in a phase whereby you're confused. That's why you're not admitting to it." Jongin spoke his mind out.

I knew I was going to get caught but this is too soon, I thought I could still keep playing this game but I thought I gave in too easily when I actually admitted it to my best friends.

"Fine, I lost ok? I think I like her... I don't know. I'm unsure of my feelings too."

In an instant, I could hear them laughing. "My my, Sehun. It's the first time ever, you give up so easily. You've grown up!" Chanyeol said teasingly.

"We're your best friends, how could we not see the changes in you." Baekhyun joined in. "But aren't you admitting to it so easily? You must have been doing a lot of thinking, about this girl."

"Hmm... I don't know." I let out a sigh.