chapter three

evanescent

 

"I'm so tired." she said softly. 

 

Seulgi nodded, gulping as Joohyun glanced out the window back to her. 

 

Remnants of rain dripped down her cheekbones and dropped onto Seulgi's pants. 

 

"I know." Seulgi replied, her voice wavering. 

 

Joohyun exhaled deeply, one that must've stretched her lungs to their absolute limit. Her slender fingers ran through her dark hair, pushing it back slightly. 

 

Her button up shirt stuck to her skin, her pearly skin showing through the faded fabric, her holsters had been tossed aside, they cried out to their owner, they begged her to return.

 

"I want to," she started off strong, but her voice cracked and she trembled as she spoke, "Figure this out, so badly." 

 

Seulgi nodded again, "I know." 

 

Joohyun turned and leaned into the photographer, a storm brew within her eyes, it was weak at the moment but Seulgi could see it was picking up momentum, harsh winds blew within pools of brown. 

 

Her head hung above Seulgi's, her eyes ran over her features, settling slowly onto her lips. She towered over the sitting woman, darkness poured over the edges of her body.

 

Seulgi looked into the storm and wondered how much she would let it destroy her. 

 

"You're a good person Seulgi," she said, pulling back slightly, "I just hope this world doesn't tear you apart." 

 

"Let the world tear me apart, as long as you're here I won't mind it." she wanted to say. 

 

"Let's hope." she said instead, with a weak smile. 

 


 

Her hands trembled as they opened up the locker, a searing pain flashed within her eyes as she began to pull things out. 

 

She looked to the small coat that hung in the locker, although it seemed small, Seulgi remembered how it hung from Joohyun's small frame. 

 

She grasped at the soft fabric, it flowed through her fingers as she pulled it off the hook. She raised the fabric to her nose, the faint scent of perfume wafted up to her nostrils. She nearly whimpered into the fabric, her entire chest aching and tightening all at once. 

 

She closed her eyes, an overwhelming sensation of warmth filling her chest, the tightening loosened slowly and the aching began to dissolve into a dull throb. 

 

Seulgi heard low shuffling come from behind her, her eyes snapped open.

 

She swung around. Her hand curled tightly around the jacket. 

 

A small woman stood near a bench, a dark violet seemed to have perched itself under her large brown eyes. She adjusted her glasses before speaking. 

 

"Hi, I'm Jieun." 

 

"Hello." Seulgi replied, her voice dropped an octave as her eyes narrowed.

 

An awkward silence filled the space between them, Jieun stared into Seulgi's eyes with slight recognition, Seulgi stared back into the woman's eyes, searching for the sense of familiarity. 

 

Staring became too intimate, Jieun could see too much in her eyes, and above all Seulgi feared the woman could see Joohyun drowing in her irises. 

 

"Is there something you needed?" Seulgi asked. 

 

Jieun nodded, "That's my locker." 

 

Seulgi stood in front of the blue locker protectively, "This locker is already taken." 

 

Jieun turned a slip of paper towards her, in sharp script the number 241 was written. 

 

Her head lolled backwards as a groan burst from her lungs and shot up through . Curses flew through her mind while her fingers dug and kneaded into the sides of her head. 

 

"Go choose another one." she hissed, her head rolling forwards as her stance widened.

 

"You go choose another one." Jieun shot back, her eyebrows were furrowed yet her voice remained calm and quiet, it infuriated Seulgi like nothing else. 

 

Seulgi stared at the smaller woman for a few moments, her eyes roaming from head to toe. Anger bit at her skin and caused stinging pains to run up and down her body, she turned away sharply and began to pull the pictures off the walls, she grabbed the few books that littered the bottom of the locker. 

 

She dropped them into a large box and began to walk away, huffing as she pressed the box closer to her chest. 

 

"Hey," Jieun called out, "You forgot this." 

 

"Whoever owned that locker had good taste," Jieun mused, "This is a good book." 

 

She waved the book slightly before handing it to Seulgi. 

 

"Yeah, she did," she murmured, glancing at the book before placing it into the box, "Thanks."

 

Jieun nodded and turned back to her locker. 

 


 

"I'm sorry." her voice barely comes out above a whisper, a bird chirped somewhere in the distance as a darkness settled in Seulgi's living room. 

 

"For what?" she asked, watching Joohyun rest within the darkness, as if it was her home, darkness melted into her skin, it twirled within her veins and settled deep within her heart. 

 

"I wish you loved someone better." Joohyun murmured.

 

"You are the sun," she said with a slight gasp of amazement, "And you fell in love with the void." 

 

Joohyun seemed to crumble, her shoulders fell while her spine curled inwards. Her eyes echoed a loneliness that frightened Seulgi, Joohyun was a stray flower in a sea of weeds. Beautiful and complex, but would get killed along with the majority. 

 

"You know I always loved the things I couldn't understand" Seulgi said with a forced chuckle. 

 

"You love the things that will only kill you in the end." Joohyun replied, a weary look on her face. 

 

"Drain me of all my sunlight, leave me a dying star in the abyss. I don't care, I'd consider it blessing to have known you at all." 

 

But Seulgi swallowed her words, enduring the burn as she pulled Joohyun into her arms. 

 

"Just relax," she murmured into her scalp, closing her eyes as she smelled her shampoo, "You're just stressed out." 

 


 

Jieun stared at the screen, yawning before typing slowly. 

 

A loud error noise came from the computer, an unattractive dialogue box popped up on the screen, informing her of her incorrect password. 

 

She groaned, slightly slamming the tips of her fingers onto the keyboard. 

 

The yellow light flickered above her, but the bright blue light shot out of the screen and scattered through the dark station. 

 

The world had drifted into a yellow tint, the sweetness of amber and gold blended into a holy mixture. It was as if the individual particles of the world had begun to shake slowly, creating a grainy view of the world. 

 

"Joohyun." a voice murmured behind her. 

 

Jieun wanted to jump, she wanted to shout. But the voice felt so much like home, completely gentle and warm in every way. 

 

Her lips parted, her tongue flicked and barely touched the tips of her front two teeth. But her voice didn't belong to her, it was quieter and sweeter, gentle yet containing a depth like no other. 

 

"I forgot my password." 

 

The voice laughed, "You always forget it. That's why I know it." 

 

A laugh forced its way out of Jieun's mouth. 

 

Long arms reached over her shoulders and tapped on the keys. 

 

"It's bhyun1010." the voice said. 

 

Jieun looked up, her neck streching and slightly aching. It was a vulnerable position, the soft flesh of her neck being exposed to whoever was standing over her. But she felt safe.

 

The shades of yellow formed a person before her eyes, the individual gold and lemon colored grains pieced together a sweet smiling photographer. Her eyes were squinted as she looked down. 

 

The yellow shattered before her eyes, the grain subsided as quickly as it had come. The woman she had recognized had dissolved into the light.

 

Jieun snapped forwards, gripping onto the desk as she panted, she looked around frantically but the woman and the voice had all faded away. 

 

She took a shaky breath before approaching her computer, she slowly tapped on the keys: 

 

bhyun1010

 

The welcoming noise filled the station. 

 


 

Let me know what you think ;). 

say hello to emo seulrene