chapter one

evanescent

Warning there will be graphic descriptions of murder.

 

 

Seulgi adjusted her camera strap as she wandered into a secluded clump of houses near the edge of town.

 

 

Blaring police sirens filled the town, with each echo, the more haunting it became; heavy winds whipped her jacket to the side as she approached a small group of officers.

 

 

A smaller woman turned, "Nice of you to join us Kang." 

 

 

Seulgi chuckled to herself quietly as the woman came to a sudden stop, her dark shoes digging into the loose dirt, sending dust flying into the air, "Well it's good to see you too." 

 

 

Joohyun huffed softly before giving her a firm smile, "I'm glad you're here."  

 

 

"Someone got murdered Joohyun." she teased as she walked with the woman back towards the crime scene.

 

 

"I know, I'm still glad to see you though."

 

 

They approached the crime scene and Joohyun calmly greeted a sterner looking woman who stood only a few feet away from the body. 

 

 

After a few moments of fluid conversation that involved the woman chuckling they were allowed in. 

 

 

Seulgi reflected her camera, her eyes sifted through the scene while her pupils expanded in an attempt to use the scarce light that shot through the leaves of a nearby tree. 

 

  

A woman looked to have been crumpled and tossed, her body sagged against the ground but her legs remained slightly bent. Her hands were curled into loose bloody fists, a familiar crimson dripped from her knuckles. Seulgi's eyes raised up to the woman's face, hung open as if one last scream had erupted from . Her neck was raw and bruised, a thick of red and purple was slashed across and blended together to form a sickening yet all too familiar painting.

 

 

Even with the years Seulgi spent taking pictures of dead bodies, ones that were ripped and shredded into threads of weakened muscles and clumps of vibrant red tissue; and yet it all seemed like a speck of blood compared to horrors that seemed to ferment within the woman's body. Her stomach had been torn from side to side, her organs stewed within a pool of blood that poured over the edge and spilled onto the concrete. 

 

 

Seulgi closed her eyes for a second, a faint shard of disgust had rammed into her chest, it was the feeling that she had forgotten over the years of bruises and blood. 

 

 

Joohyun's voice whispered behind her, "Like a lamb-"

 

 

"To the slaughter," she interrupted quickly a faded smile stretching across her face. 

 

 

She playfully smacked the photographer's arm, "Go take your pictures and call me back when you're done."

 

 

"Have fun playing guard." Seulgi replied with a smirk.

 

 

She rolled her eyes before turning and walking away to deal with the growing crowd.

 

 

Seulgi fanned her face, attempting to push the nostril burning smell of death. She dropped her tripod to the ground, with three satisfying clicks of plastic colliding into concrete, she spun her camera on the tripod, adjusting her ISO and flash settings with a quick glance to the scene and back to her camera. She pulled a small ruler out of her bag and gently placed it close to the body. 

 

 

The click of the camera echoed through the cracks of their the quiet town, and it sounded like a twisted hybrid of a warning and a cry for help. 

 

 


 

 

Seulgi felt a clap on her shoulder, and hot breath cloud around her nape, "Wanna get some food after this?"

 

 

Joohyun's eyes lingered on the photographer, half of her face was squished together, her right eye barely peeking out of a layer of her puffy cheek.

 

 

Seulgi pulled herself from the camera, turning to face to face her, "Sure, where do you wanna go?"

 

 

"There's this small soup shop near my apartment. We could go there."

 

 

A wide grin stretched across Seulgi's face, "I was hoping you would say soup-"

 

 

"Because it's your favorite." Joohyun said with a smile. 

 

 

She chuckled to herself quietly, "I mean you're not exactly wrong." 

 

 

"Detective Bae!" a voice shouted.

 

 

In a split second her face dropped, her smile pressed into a firm line, not giving anyone the slightest hint of what she was thinking, or even feeling. Her arms flew up to her chest holsters, pulling the leather over her shoulders, patting both guns before moving to her shirt, her thin fingers ran over each button, then they rubbed over each wrinkle in her white dress shirt. She tucked the looser ends back into her pants before turning to see a familiar journalist waving wildly.

 

 

Seulgi peered over Joohyun's shoulder, hiding a playful smile when she saw a younger girl run up to the detective.

 

 

"Hello Yerim," Joohyun said as she ran her fingers through the younger girl's hair, "were you sent down here?"

 

 

"No," she said with a thin sigh, "everyone in this ing town wants stories about heroes who save cats in trees and happy endings and ." 

 

 

"But I'm going to do my actual job and tell the people about the things that actually happen here." 

 

 

"So, what do you wanna know?"  

 

 

"As much as you can, and anything you haven't told anyone else." she replied quickly. 

 

 

Her hand dropped to her side as she bit her pale colored lips. 

 

 

"We're assuming it's a gang related crime, she has a tattoo that's being sent through the database, we'll know if it matches any local gangs. We don't know if she died from her stomach wound because she has severe bruising around her neck which suggests she was strangled at some point." 

 

 

Seulgi watched as Yerim wrote quickly in her book, her eyes flying from the notebook to Joohyun every few seconds.

 

 

"More?" she asked.

 

 

Joohyun shook her head, "And remember, you didn't get it from me."

 

 

Yeri nodded before saying a quick thanks and rushing off.

 

 


 

 

Seulgi raised the steaming noodles to , hot broth spilled over her lips and onto her tongue; she closed her eyes and smiled happily as she dumped more noodles into .

 

 

Joohyun shook her head as she laughed, the other woman turned, her eyes squinting as her cheeks fluffed forwards.

 

 

"You're always so messy." Joohyun scolded playfully as she gently moved her finger under Seulgi's lip, the younger woman froze her eyes widening as Joohyun's finger moved across her skin slowly.

 

 

She rubbed the broth onto a napkin as Seulgi stared, she began to chew slowly and swallowed the large lump of noodles as she continued to stare.

 

 

Her heartbeat thumped wildly against her chest, the influx of blood and racing endorphins forced a shaky breath out of her slightly parted lips.

 

 

The yellow tinted lighting blended in smoothly with Joohyun's barely tanned skin, she echoed the quiet beauty of an idol, her hair cascaded down her shoulders as her thin fingers tapped against the table, her eyes had a gentle shine to them despite them drowning in a sea of bloody murders and unsolved cases. 

 

 

She turned from the quiet woman and back to her bowl and she made sure to dab a napkin on her face occasionally.

 

 

She quickly turned back to see Joohyun placing a few won onto the counter but she quickly slid the money back towards her. 

 

 

"You don't have to do that." Seulgi raced to pull her wallet out of her pocket. 

 

 

Seulgi felt two hands clasp onto her shoulders, her eyes slowly raised from her slightly empty wallet to two dark brown eyes staring back at her, her lips while dull were plump and shined beautifully in the flickering yellow light, she leaned in closely before saying, "Consider it my gift for doing a great job today." 

 

 

The distant smell of the savory broth filled the air as Seulgi chuckled, a blazing heat had flushed into her cheeks and she could feel her cheeks turning a vibrant shade of red. She pulled herself backwards, feeling Joohyun's hands slide off her shoulders and swing by her waist. 

 

 

"Goodnight Kang." She tapped on her holster and traced the buttons up to her collar before leaving.

 

 

Seulgi fell back onto her chair, trying her best to ignore the growing warmth in her cheeks as she poured the rest of the broth down . 

 

 

(But she walked home with a warmth churning within her cheeks and a heat simmering deep within her chest). 

 

 


 

 

 

Turns how I'm not only a for Fifth Harmony but literally any other girl group. 

 

 

EDIT 08/11/19:

I edited a lot of this chapter, hopefully it's easier to read and the dialogue isn't as clunky as it was before.

 

(It's fun to see how much my writing style has changed though!)

 

But let me know what you guys think, and comments and kudos are always appreciated! :)