The Chase, The Chaos and The Catch

Sempiternal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

WARNING!

*Depiction of behaviors involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something and may not be suitable for some readers.*


[  P  r  o  c  e  e  d    w  i  t  h    c  a  u  t  i  o  n  ]



I dedicate this chapter to my coffee,
thank you for keeping me up everynight
and just remember that you are the reason behind all the violence in this chapter,
I hope I'll make you proud. 



♠♠♠




 

(Myoui Mina)



It is 6:40 AM. I ran my way to our school, only 20 minutes left. I uttered silent curses under my breath. I am doing exactly two things I hate right now.

 

1) running

2) bumping into people.

 

This is why I despise 7:00 AM classes, it forces you to wake up early and wish the day ends as soon as it starts. I honestly can't imagine how did I manage to survive the first few weeks not being late and not losing my will to attend the school, it's always a tug of war against time every morning and to win the game, I do end up sacrificing breakfast - just like what I did today. I was catching my breath as I reached the school lobby. I took hurried strides while I trail the long way to the classroom.

 

6:55 AM

 

Sh*t! In business, the minutes you were late are the chances you lose to close the deal. And in the irrefutable Code of Akira; time is money.

I was raised not to waste people's time. And I hated myself as much when I'm the one who's beyond schedule. My desire to uphold to my father's standards runs through my veins and it aches to burst as every minute passes. But my steps became slower as I approached a bunch of male students who were standing in the hallway, looking at me murderously. I kept my ground while they came closer. They cornered me.

"What do you want from me?" I asked, not keeping my guard down. I can feel that any moment they will attack me but judging from their appearance and stance, they aren't as skilled as Sylvanis - I can take them down one by one.

"We just want to play, oh, you're so beautiful." The tallest of them who act like the head of the gang tried to touch my face but on reflex I slapped his hand. I heard a gasp from his team and they ended up laughing on him.


"Shut up!" He eyed the other men and looked at me angrily. "You!" He pointed his finger to me. "How dare you disrespect me. I'll teach you respect!" He faced his team, "This girl is my prey, don't you dare interfere while I with her, understand?!" 

 

"But the Queen's order is just to scare her.." His fellow which has a much smaller built said in a shivering voice.

 

The Queen? I clenched my fist. I have no idea what's going on.

 

The main man just snickered. "Wouldn't the Queen be happy if this girl will be gone for good? She may even give us a huge reward." He grabbed my collar. "Let's play." And he throw me to the ground. He took off his blazer and threw it to one of his minions, folded the sleeves of his white polo then jumped from side to side and practiced few jabs.

 

"Stand up. Don't be so boring." I smiled at his provocations. I didn't think I'd be using Sylvanis' teachings here. I stood up and fixed my uniform.

 

"There..that's how I like it." He added.

 

I smiled at him. "I wonder if you'd still like it after I break your bones." 

 

I literally saw the veins forming on his neck. He ran to me and throw a hard long punch but I just took a one side step and he got outbalanced, he fell flat on the floor. His team was stifling their laughter. Afraid to be embarrassed he stood up immediately. His face and ears were flushed red. He ran to me and gave me fast straight attacks. But his movements were raw, they are easy to predict. I managed to dodge each of his punches. Punching hard without hitting something is tiring. Not too long, he started to slow down. My eyes are quick to see an opening. I docked, took one step inside his reached and blow a full swing uppercut. I literally saw one of his tooth flew in the air when my fist met his jaw. And his body hit the floor even before his tooth can do. He was unconscious. His men looked at me with a mix of disbelief and amusement.

 

"I didn't come here to play. Relay that to your queen." Their heads nod in agreement. I left them in the hallway as they were reviving their leader.

 

 

Sh*t! I'm going to be late! I ran to my room but unfortunately the class already started. Ms Yu stopped in the middle of discussion -

 

"I'm so sorry to inform you but you are too early for your next class." The whole class laughed at how unusual our teacher had acknowledged my late presence. "Well better late than absent, now go to your seat and reflect on your sin."

 

It was embarrassing, yes, but I held my head high and went straight beside Momo. I'll remind my self later to hunt those rascals down to hell for making me late on my class.

 

"Why were you late?" Momo asked while looking at her book. 

 

"There were students who wanted to play with me at a very unexpected time." I started to scan our book as well, pretending to listen to Ms. Yu.

 

Momo who got the hint of sarcasm in my words straightened up and looked at me intently,  "Did they hurt you? What's their name? I'll make them pa-!" I covered with my hand to silenced her. I can't believe this girl who's full of brightness and sunshine can be dark and gloomy at an instant.

 

 

"I am totally fine." I assured her. 

 

"Are you sure? Because I-" I glared to shut her up.

 

"Alright, but to avoid this from happening again, we should go to school together from now on." She was serious. It seems that she'll throw a fit if I'd decline. It wasn't long that I discovered Momo's real identity. 

 

 

FLASH BACK:

 

 

I ran as fast as I could to get away from the school grounds. I reached a rather secluded garden which I later on realized as a bad move because I am not familiar with the school yet and I can't find my way back. I walked back tracing the path I ran but I really can't figure.

"This was a mistake, you should have not sent me here."

I heard a familiar voice.

"No, you could've chosen someone else. You knew very well why"

I went closer. The girl was standing, talking to someone over the phone. Yes, it's Momo. A smile formed on my lips when I confirmed it's her, knowing Momo, she memorized this University already. She'll know the way back. I wanted to run to her so we can go back to the condo together, but her next words froze me in my track.


"I'm sorry Mrs. Myoui but your daughter is drop dead gorgeous and girls like her are my weakness. How do you expect me to protect her?" 

 

Momo knew my mother?

Protect me?

"It's okay, you don't have to pay me. I'll just go back to Japan."

She then hang up the call. When she turned , I saw blood escaped her face. "M-M, " She scoffed, "Mina, I thought you're still talking to your girlfriend." She fidgeted her fingers under my judging eyes. Is this the girl my mom hired to protect me? Looks very reliable.

 

"What's the meaning of this?" I asked.

"I don't know what you mean." She looked away. 

"Are we playing guessing game here or you'll tell me why you were talking to my Mother?" I roared.

Her eyes widen. "You heard us-" she knelt down and bowed to me. "Forgive me, M'lady. It was not my intention to lie to you."

M'lady. I spurned upon hearing her address me in that way. I remembered the life I had lost.

"Stand up and tell me everything." Even though I already have an idea , I still wanted it to come from her. She hustled and complied. 

"Your mother picked me to be your butler here in Korea. I came here a day before you. And I am from the same clan as Sylvanis." She stated still looking down to her fidgeting hands.

"So you lied when you said you attended the campus tour?"

She nodded, "I just memorized the buildings when I checked last two days ago." I remained silent. She can't turn her head to face me, her gaze fixed on the ground.

"Your mother knew my past records yet she still hired me so I was very hopeful that it'll be fine this time. But when I saw you... you were so beautiful. I called your mother immediately to withdraw me from the job but she told me to stay, I had no choice but to follow her. However, earlier when I kissed you..."

She went down on both her knees, stride her hands on both side and her head touching the ground. "I-I failed as your butler, M'lady. You can have my life if you want."


She grabbed a small Japanese knife from her blazer, it was fully engraved with Japanese words. I know what that is, butlers have this in them every time. If their master died under their protection or if they have done something to endanger their masters, they are required to use this kind of knife for Seppuku (A/N: Seppuku is a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment.)

 

"How can you serve me if you're dead?" She turned her head up - confusion was written all over her face.

 

"..but I kissed you without your permission. It was a grave offense as a butler and I must be punis--"

 

"You said you had past records?" I changed the subject.

 

She nod, "I have done a lot of mistakes doing my chores because I am distracted with my master's beauty. The family I was serving got annoyed and I was always sent back to our clan. Other butlers would then replace me on the job. Because of that, my elders planned to kick me out but your mother was too nice to give me another chance yet, I still failed." I'm not blind not to notice the tears forming in the corner of her eyes nor numb to feel the sadness in her voice.

She will clearly be disowned if she goes back to Japan. Families work the same regardless of economic status.

"Then stay." I leaned down and held her chin up "..serve me until your last breath." She looked at me with disbelief.

"But I have failed. I was not able to stop my self and kissed you." She referred to the fact that she had kissed me as a failure. Others would have considered it as a huge success.

"If you are going to be my butler here then I want to set three rules.First, never address me as M'lady or anything honorific".

Her eyes widen in disapproval but she didn't say a word.

"Second, I want you to be my friend. Did you have friends before?" She shake her head. "Then can we be friends?" I asked extending my hand to her. She just looked at my hand and looked at me with hesitation.

"Don't you want to be friends with me?" I was annoyed by her delay.

"I do but I don't think it's proper for a master and her butler to be... friends". She hesitated to say the word friends like it will explode the moment she'll say it. Isn't she the same girl who can't get off her hands with me earlier before I blew her cover? Though I can't judge her, she was raised by that belief, even Sylvanis maintained that master-butler relationship with me.

 

"But it would be a different thing if it's your master's wish, right? Now, be my friend.. and that's an order." I extended my hand more waiting for her to accept. I heard her sigh. She stood up and grabbed my hand.

"Friends." She stated

"Yeah, friends." I confirmed.

"And what's the third rule, M'lady -oh I mean Mina?" I let go of her soft hand. And turned my back to her.

"Never fall inlove with me." 



 

END OF FLASHBACK


 

 

That's the beginning. I used to hate people and I think I still do. But if I'd go for a new start, I'll have to change some of my ways. I told her the whole story from my life being a Myoui, to what happened between me and Lisa until I got disowned which led me here in Korea. I also confessed that Im Nayeon is not my girlfriend. She laughed and said I was too mean to use another girl only to shoo her away.

"Alright, to check what you've learned on this chapter, you'll present a dance play. Find a partner and plan your routine. To give time for practices, we won't be having a class until next week but I'd be available for consultation every M W F between 3-4 pm at faculty lounge." The whole class was hyped on this announcement, including me. The thought of dancing again made me happy.

 

Most of my classmates had asked me to be their partner specially guys but I turned them down. "Are you good at dancing?" I turned to Momo. Who just looked at me."What?" I nudged her.

 

"M'lady-eh-I mean-Mina, are you asking me to be your dance partner?" She asked so unsure.

 

"Did you think I'd be dancing with just any of these people? Besides we're friends, aren't we?" I swear this girl has her way of making me talk a lot. I hate her .

She giggled. "You won't regret your choice. Back in Japan, my elders would call me the dancing machine of our clan." Her eyes twinkle as she brag.

"Then let's put that dancing machine Momo to work." I replied while putting my notes and book to my bag.

We were on our way to our next class which was in another building when I saw a group of male students running with bucket of water. I was totally convinced they were running towards me but I was not able to move when they splashed on me. Damn, I was soaked.

The students laughed.

But they were silenced by a loud thud and one male student fell on the floor, holding her head and grunting in pain. There stood Momo behind him holding a deformed bucket of water.

"Who's next?" She looked around with murderous intent.

The students stepped back in fear. Momo was about to smash another student but I stopped her.

"Enough!"

She looked at me. Her rage flashed before my eyes but thankfully, she calmed down a little. I assesed myself too as the cold started to screech in "I need to get changed." I'm shivering.

She took off her blazer to cover me. "I have spare clothes in the locker."

"Let's go." She gave deathly looks to the students before she let me drag her.

I spent the rest of my classes wearing a blue pullover and white jogging pants. My professors didn't seem to mind but I was still getting a lot of attention from the students.

"Do you know who's doing this to you?" Momo asked while we are walking back to our unit. Her gloomy aura never left the whole day. I already have someone in mind but I chose to keep it to myself. Seeing Momo in her current state now made me remember that she came from the same clan as Sylvanis - they are assassins.

"Not yet. " Was all I said.

"I will you tomorrow. Going to school." That wasn't a question. The only choice left for me was to agree.

"Sure." 







 

                                                                                                             ~///~





 

 

I was working on our dance routine when I heard a knock. I sure think this will be Sana. She has been visiting my unit every night annoying and teasing me about Nayeon eventhough Momo and I had been telling her that it was just a bluff.

"Hi!" A happy squirrel greeted me when I opened my door.

I just crosses my arms, and looked at her from head to toe. She was wearing an apron. So this girl has been cooking? Oh, does she even know how to cook should be the question.

"Done checking me out?" She bit her lips in a flirty way and winked. I closed my eyes immediately. Ugh, that wink should be considered harassment.

"Did you just came here to annoy me?" I said still closing my eyes. I wouldn't allow my self to be a victim of this girl's unfiltered winks.

"You're so mean to me. I went here to invite you for dinner." That forced me to open my eyes.

"Are you trying to poison me?" I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter