The Pretense

Sempiternal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi, I am Minatozaki Sana.

The only heiress of Minatozaki Corporation.

I got annoyed when I got a call from my Dad early in the morning.

"Ya! Why are you calling me so early?!" I shouted on the other line. We're not the typical daughter-afraid of father-relationship, it was more of father-afraid of-wife and daughter-relationship. He should be , otherwise, he'll have no one to take over his beloved company. I am the only child, and he's spoiling me without limit.

I heard him sigh. "I sent you a present. But you have to pick her up at the airport now."

I raised my brow upon hearing "her".

My Dad knows I change women as often as I change my clothes but he was not supportive about it. And now, he's sending a girl over?

That got my interest. " Whooo?!" I squeeled, unable to hide my excitement.

"Myoui Mina." And the line went dead.

Myoui Mina?

As in the Myoui Mina that I know?

My earlier excitement died down. I do still remember how the girl ignored me when we were at the same school in Japan. And my Dad wanted me to befriend her atleast because Dad was pretty close with her Mom - but Mina was as cold as ice to me.

And I won't forget the fact that she was undeniably scary. Well, I do admit that I had this little crush on her back then. She was drop dead georgeous during freshmen orientation and my litle crush on her had pushed me to drag and declare her as our club member. Though she didn't protest, it was very obvious that she wasn't happy about it.

I tried to make up to her and tried really hard to get close to her but, it all failed. We didn't even had a single conversation considering we are just on the same club.

And now what? She's here in Korea?

How come?

On what I heard- her father won't even let her go out alone because he was over protective with the famous heiress of the biggest corporation in Asia.

The curiosity can really kill a cat - and I'm thankful I am not a cat. I got up and tidy myself. I've decided to pick up the damsel in distress. Dad bought me a car so it won't take long till I'll be at the airport. I drove with a smile - couldn't hide the excitement to see Mina again. I wonder what she's up to now.



*



Incheon International Airport



I started to get impatient and suffocated because the waiting area was too crowded. Tried calling Dad but his phone was dead. Then I heard the crowed gasp in unison - I followed where they were looking and I smiled upon seeing Mina just standing at the exit. Still beautiful as ever.


"Minariiii!"

I waved frantically so she can see me through the crowd and I literally saw everything stopped when she looked at me. She walked towards me in slow motion. But I almost laugh at her reaction upon knowing it's me. So she wasn't expecting me , huh?

We went out of the airport silently - no one dared to talk. I had questions actually but cat got my tounge. I just can't think straight when I had this beautiful girl beside me - I guess my LITTLE crush on her went back?

"So..where I'll be staying?" Her soft voice broke the silence.. It also broke my cool.

She asked in Japanese and it was so Kawaiiiii!

I calmed myself before I glance at her. "Dad only asked me to pick you up, so I'm not sure. But you are free to stay with me. I can give you a good time." I sweetly pushed my luck. Everyone in our old school knows that she's into girls, so maybe I'll get lucky today?

"You're not my type." Her flat response.

Ouch. My little crush for her dive its way 6 feet below the ground of my heart. I sigh. Mina is still as scary, rude and insensitive as before.

I stopped in a nearby five star restaurant. It's time for Mina to taste Korean cooking. I also texted my Dad that I already have Mina with me. Hopefully, he'd call soon.


"Good morning, may I have your order for today?" Came a waitress in her neat uniform. Hmmm - she's pretty.

"Is your number on the Menu?" I asked while my finger playing on the tip of my hair. The waitress just giggled and politely shake her head. Welp, that's too bad. I thought somebody's gonna get laid tonight. Anyways, I still smiled at her. If not tonight, then maybe some other night.
"But here's my number..." I stood up, took her pen and wrote my name and number on the little stack of paper in her hand. As soon as I returned her pen, "..so call me maybe?" I signalled her to call me and I gave her my infamous wink.

Mina who witness it acted like she was about to throw up.

"I just lost my appetite." She said as she looked at me, to the waitress and back at me.

The waitress just scratched the back of her neck in shame. Mina purposely said it in Korean.That didn't shock me , I heard from Dad that she's multi-lingual. And he wanted me to be like her so he can be proud as well. My Dad is a typical Mina-stan.

"You really are no fun." But she just shrugged at her remark.

We gave our order and waited for our food in silence. Mina is busy playing with her phone and me?...... I'm busy admiring Mina.

How can a girl as fragile looking from the outside became so cold and hard inside? And why would a girl who have everything want to leave Japan come over to Korea? I knocked my fingers on the table to get her attention. "Uhmm, would you mind telling me why you decided to come here in Korea?" She didn't bother looking at me , she's so engrossed on her phone. "Mina, are you lis-"

"Ask your father." She cut me off.

But she then put down her phone and looked at me intently. "I'll tell you what I need.." She continued looking at me. I think this is the firsf time I got to see her eyes closely. And I'm melting under her gaze. "I need you to-"

But a sudden ringing made me snap back to reality. I checked my phone, it's Dad! I answered it quickly.

"Hello baby.." He opened.

"How dare you hung up on me!" Yep, that's hello for me.

"Look, I'm sorry my phone was acting up." Which made me roll my eyes. He still have this super outdated mobile phone that uses infrared instead of bluetooth. Mom and I had been nagging him to buy a new one instead but he's persistent that it's still working. Now, I hope he changes his mind. "I'll email you an address, kindly take Mina there. And she'll be attending your school, hope you two can get along. Oops, I have a meeting with a client. Call you later baby." - hang up.

Then my phone lit up and I opened the email. This is Mina's new address - which is also the UNIT NEXT TO MINE. She saw my expression changed.

"What did your old man say?", she was looking at me expectantly.

I scratch my brow.

" Uhmm, WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD!" I said with arms spread up high.




*


 

As soon as we finished breakfast, I took Mina to our condo and introduced her to our property manager to ger her keys. We were also informed that payment and contract had been arranged directly by her mother.

 

I escorted her to her unit and upon reaching, I went inside first. I didn't wait for her invitation 'cause I know she wouldn't.

 

"Oh, look! Your uniforms are all ready. " I pointed at the set of fabric laid on her bed with a brown envelope on top. Mina just looked at them and proceed unpacking.

 

Which I just noticed, "You only have one luggage?" Back in Japan, I wouldn't see her with the same clothes twice. That's how expensive her lifestyle is.

 

But she did not answer. I pout behind her - still the same Mina who keeps on ignoring me. 

 

Instead of sulking, I busy myself looking at her unit. Then, I decided to sit on her bed. Involuntarily, my hands reached for the brown envelope and took out her papers.

 

STUDENT NAME: Uzumaki Mina

 

Uzumaki? But she's a Myoui! Is this a typo error?

 

"Mina, I checked your admission slip but why is your lastname Uzumaki and not Myoui?" I asked her. I saw her flinched but she went back unpacking her luggage - again she did not answer me.

 

Tsk, maybe she wanted to hide her real identity. I just shrug it off.

 

DEPARTMENT: Music and Arts (II)

 

Cool! We're on the same department which means I'd be able to see her dance again - she looks so elegant when she dance , specially ballet. I giggled lying on her bed remembering how Mina danced back in Japan. And unknowingly my eyes darted on the young girl who's absorbed in fixing her things.

 

Sigh. 

 

A black swan indeed.

 

I checked her slip again.

 

STUDENT ID#: 10AZ3P4K (BLACK)

 

Black??

Wait, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Maybe I just mislook.

 

Black.

 

Black.

 

Black.

 

I rummage her uniform and saw her name engraved in black name plate.

 

"MINAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!" I called and she ran to me as fast as Usain Bolt.

 

She held me in my shoulder and made me face her. "What happened? Are you okay?" She scanned me from head to toe, checking my arms and knees. Worry is plastered in her beautiful face. Ah, so this is how it felt to be under Mina's care? It really felt good. In a moment, I wished something really happened to me so I can observe how she'd take care of me the whole day. But her expression turned dark and stoic after she realized I wasn't hurt.

 

"S-sorry if I startled you. I couldn't help it after I saw this." I handed her the admission slip. Her dark gaze burning my extended hand. Okay, for the love of my life, I made a mental note not to startle the mighty Mina again.

She hastily read the paper, "Tsk, I hate 7Am class." She stomped her foot and crinckled her nose. She looked like a 5th grader and I swear there's nothing more cute than that. But really? That's her concern?

 

I grabbed the slip off her hand and pointed my finger to the black word. It was too close to her face that she had to step backwards.

 

Aish. She looked at me with questioning look.

 

"Can't you see it? You're Blacklisted!" I screeched. "You're a Myoui, you should be in the Gold. Or the rank higher than the Gold if there's any!" I am not exaggerating. But Black is too low and more of an insult to Mina's background. Hello? Myoui? Mina? Again, hello?

 

"Sana calm down." She pinched her nose as she close her eyes. "Make me understand." I can see the weariness in her whole being. 

 

"Didn't Dad tell you that our school is..... different?" I calmed down and asked in a soft tone. 

 

She shook her head.

 

I sighed. 

 

"I don't know when this started but inside the university, the students were divided into four classes ;

 

Gold

Silver

Select

Black

 

And everything in the university works according to your class. The higher your class, the more perks and benefits you get.

 

Gold was mostly consist of corporate heirs, students from big and influential families, or sons and daughters of high end politicians.

 

Silver mainly from rich and influential families but not as huge as the Golds.

 

Select are mostly the students selected by the university, they are either super talented or super smart. They are also known as the Scholars.

 

And ofcourse, Black, the lowest of all class. They are consist of students who got in because of referral from someone influential, sons and daughters of the people working in the university like utility, guards , drivers etc."

 

That was a long explanation and just looked at me with blank expression. I snap my fingers in front of her and she gave a weak smile.

 

"There's nothing wrong with the slip. I am blacklisted. I am not a corporate heir, nor I came from an influential family and I was just referred by your fathef." She pulled a deep sigh before she turned and went back to her luggage.

 

What?

 

Am I missing something here? Because hello? She's Myoui Mina for Pete's sake! The University will be shaking if they knew there's a Myoui in one of their students.

 

"No, I don't understand why you are acting like that. But you should be Goldlisted. And why is Uzumaki written here? This should be changed to your real last name right away." I took out my phone, " I'd call the admin, we can ch-" I was about to dial the admin contact when Mina snatch my phone from my hand.

 

When I looked at her, I felt the room's temperature drop to 0°. 

 

"I appreciate the concern Sana, but who are you to meddle with my life?" Her question had kicked my little hope of us becoming friends out of the picture. But there's something about her that I can't look away. "I'm okay not being a Myoui. I'm okay being Blacklisted. I am not complaining so stop putting your nose in my business. Just live your own life!" She darkly stated. But what did I saw just now?

Was that sadness?

 

She looked away and walked on.

 

She threw my phone over which I had to use my ninja skills just to catch and she opened the door, waiting for me to get out.

 

I sighed. I walked myself out but I turned to her one last time. "Alright, if that's what you want. But as long as we're in Korea, call me Sana-unnie."

 

"Then enjoy the rest of your day, Sana-unnie." She stressed the last word before the slammed the door real hard.

 

I nearly jumped because of the loud sound. 



*

 

 

Hi, this is Mina.


After a discussion with Sana, I went outside to get a fresh air. I also took the chance to observe the vicinity of the condo. I greeted the guard politely as I went out. Guards are important, they will keep me safe. What I saw are high buildings and establishment. Unlike in Myoui Residence- there are a lot of trees around.

Tsk, I shook my head, I should start forgetting about the life I had. This is a new start, a new me.

Fancy seeing a quadrangle just beside the condo. So people here are health conscious huh? There are couple who jog and a bunch of people doing err-aerobics? No idea. Not far from the quadrangle, I saw a small breadshop. I think I'll know where to stay if it gets boring in my unit.

I hurriedly went inside. Cool, they have a good ambiance. Very refreshing and relaxing. There are two people lining up so I stood behind them. I let my eyes feast on the different kind of bread I can eat. I already listed what I want on my mind.

When I reached the counter, I gave my order, "Two croissant and a blueberry cheesecake for--"

"Two croissant and dark chocolate---" I stranger came out of nowhere. I slammed the counter. How dare this girl interrupt me. I came first, I lined first so I must order first.

"Two cruessant and a blue---"

"Do you know who I am?" This girl asking the counter girl while pointing at herself. Wow, is she going to ignore the part that I am here? But the counter girl nodded to her. "Then take my order first- a cruessant and dark chocolate cake for take out, go scram-"

"Wait- wait, wait!" I stopped her from finishing. "Excuse me, but I came here FIRST. Wouldn't it be proper if you get my order FIRST?" I emphasizes every word so these two would understand that it should be me FIRST.

The counter girl nod at me apologetically and went ahead to get what she were told while this creature beside just throw me a bored look. I inhaled sharply and think of happy thoughts. But damn- I don't have one. I can hear Mr.Minatozaki's warning behind my head.. "Stay out of trouble- you have to blend with normal people. Always keep your cool." Tsk, how can I do that? I clenched my fist.

"Here's your order Ms. Im." The counter girl put a brown paper bag. But before this creature can take it , I grabbed the paper bag and handed the bill in the counter. "Thanks and keep the change." I cooly said and started to walk but a figure suddenly appeared in front of me, arms crossed arms.

"Where are you going....to take my order?" She's looking at me like a specimen under a microscope. But it's not intimidating enough.

"Did you pay for this?" I asked while raising the brown bag.

I saw she got confused for a second. "No." She answered.

"Then this is NOT your order, I paid for it - it's mine." I said as a matter of factly. And just to rub it in her face, "I'd prefer blueberry cheese cake, but chocokate cake isn't that bad. Now get off my way, so I can go and enjoy MY order." I pushed her to the side so I can pass.

"How dare you push me! Do you even know me?" She hissed behind. I turned to her. I looked at her from head to toe- messy bun, nerdy specs, white t-shirt, gray running pants, gray socks and slippers. I looked at her straight in the eye.

"No, I don't." My flat reply.

She chuckled. Is she on drugs? "No wonder, because if you knew me, you'd be kissing my feet instead. The name is Im Nayeon, never forget that, peasant. " I saw how her expression changed before she purposely bumped me and went out of the bread shop.

The counter girl then went around the counter and came closer "Heol!! That was awesome! You are the first person to slam the Queen." She said clapping. Really? That girl? Queen? I didn't mind her and went outside. My first day in Korea is very messy. I should have stayed in Cuba instead.

 

 

*
 

 

I went back to my unit to eat my food and continue unpack my luggage.


Yet, the girl's image got stuck on my mind. If they we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter