Out the Gates

Mythos: Cries of the Kreo

The school was in poor conditions. Ash and rubbles scattered around the ground. The air was filled with debris and dust, heavy with the scent of smoke and fire. Walls were broken and glasses on the main buildings were broken. Some were injured; others were found dead.

Students were quickly escorted to a safe area. Instructors were quickly told to excuse themselves from their groups or other tasks for a quick meeting. It wasn't the first time that the Academy was invaded. There had been several attempts to infiltrate the Academy to see the students, to get the details behind the looming walls.

But it was the first time that there was so much damage, so much violence.

Jieun was about to go alone, but one of the Instructors saw the three students behind her.

"Bring them, too," he said.

"But they're my students—"

"They're the top three. They deserve to know what's going on," he said.

Jieun frowned, but allowed her students to follow her.

All the Instructors gathered in the depths of the forest, hiding away from the eyes of their students. Jaejoong was waiting for them in front of an old tree. He turned around and gazed down at the Instructors before making a small smile.

"Instructor Do Kyungsoo, will you do the honors and explain the situation to everyone so far?" Jaejoong asked.

"Certainly," Kyungsoo said. He took out a small notebook. "As we all have experienced, hours ago we were attacked by four unknown forces who disguised themselves as Instructors of the Academy. Two of them seemed to have done the most damage while the other two seemed to be looking for something." He looked at everyone. "If anyone has seen a glimpse of them or know who they are, speak now."

No one said anything. Jungkook looked at Jieun, who kept a neutral expression. He was about to raise his hand for her, but she grabbed his hand behind her back. He stared at her, but she didn't look back.

"No one?" Kyungsoo turned to Jaejoong. "So we conclude that they are an unknown force with unknown motives."

"How disappointing," Jaejoong murmured. He looked at everyone. "Well, we will continue our search about this. For now, help aid the students and the Instructors. Make sure that everyone is okay. We will start reconstruction as soon as we can."

"What should the rest do in the meantime?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Continue training them."

"Without a training ground? Our practice area was completely destroyed."

"Well, it'll be quite unfortunate to those who are still too young to explore outside, but for those who can leave, the whole world is their training ground, isn't it?" Jaejoong asked with a smile.

"Head Master, I'm not sure what you're trying to say…"

"Instructor Lee Jieun," Jaejoong said, calling her name. She looked at him. "You understand what I'm trying to say, right?"

She paused for a few minutes. "Yes. You want us to go with our students and go on a Mythos Hunt, right?"

A wide grin appeared on his face. "Precisely." Then, Jaejoong looked at her three students. "Your students. I hope they are to your liking."

"They're fine," Jieun said nonchalantly. "I hope you're not planning to play any of your little mind games."

Jaejoong continued to smile. "Surely not. You and I are the same after all."

The Instructors couldn't follow their conversation, but they knew that there was something going on between the two. Jieun only faked a smile and turned around.

"Is that it for the meeting? If so, I want to go now," Jieun said.

"We shall announce an official departure tomorrow. Instructors, tell your students to pack tonight," Jaejoong told them. Everyone lowered their heads, gesturing that the orders were clearly received. Jaejoong turned around and walked away.

Jieun turned around and smiled at her students.

"Well, you heard the Head Master. Start packing! I'll see you tomorrow in the morning for the Deviation Ceremony," Jieun told them. She walked away first, followed by the other Instructors. 

When the three were alone, Yuna looked at Jungkook.

"Why didn't you say anything?" she asked.

"Say what?" Jungkook responded.

"I saw that you were about to raise your hand to speak, but Jieun stopped you. What were you going to say?" she asked.

Jungkook kept quiet. "Nothing. Come on, we need to pack."

He walked away. Yuna gave him a stern stare while Seokmin playfully rubbed his chin.

"He's hiding something," Yuna said.

"Yeah, and it's weird for him to be hiding important stuff," Seokmin agreed. He looked at her. "Especially from us."

"I can't tell what he's thinking."

"Same. If I can't read him, then certainly you can't read him, either," Seokmin said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Yuna looked at Seokmin. "Yeah, but I'm different."

"How so?"

"I have a special bond with him."

Seokmin didn't say anything. He only nodded and walked off, following Jungkook.

As Jieun walked further away from the group, a white scarf appeared on her neck. She glanced down at it, then looked around to see if anyone was following or watching her. She hid behind a tree and extended a hand outward.

"The Keeper of the Kreo, summoning: The Gumiho."

The scarf slid off her shoulders and caressed around her hand. A slight breeze passed by as the white scarf gently flew off the tips of her fingers and swirled in the air, transforming into a beautiful elegant woman in a white traditional dress.

"Kang Hanna the Gumiho, Nine-Tailed Fox. Reporting for duty."

"Did you have something you want to say? You don't usually summon yourself like this," Jieun said.

"You know that you're going to have to tell them sooner or later," Hanna said.

"I know. I'll wait a little bit and see if they're ready."

Hanna stared at her with wide brown eyes—it was a look that was clearly different from earlier, when her eyes were shining vivaciously blue. 

"So you really are going to tell them?" Hanna asked.

"I have to. It's what he's planning, after all," Jieun murmured.

 

* * *

 

The next day, when everyone was still sleeping, Jungkook woke up when he felt someone creeping closer to him. His eyes shot wide open and he turned, ready to take his weapon until he saw Jieun with her hand extended out from her dull green cloak. She looked at him with eyes of surprised.

"I'm impressed," she remarked. "I didn't think you weren't vulnerable when you sleep."

Jungkook calmed down. "What are you doing here? This is the boy's dorm."

"I'm waking you all up," Jieun said. "Did you pack?" He nodded. "Perfect. Let's go."

"Go? Go where?" Jungkook asked.

"On our Mythos Hunt."

"What about the Deviation Ceremony?"

Jieun blew a raspberry. "That? That's just a stupid waste of time. We don't need to attend it."

"But it's proper—"

"As long as you let the school know that you're going out on a Mythos Hunt, you're fine. That ceremony is just a way for the Instructors and their students to feel proud of themselves," Jieun said. "Come on, hurry. Seokmin and Yuna are already outside waiting and it's cold."

Jungkook frowned. He watched Jieun turn and jump out of the window. He widened his eyes and looked down, finding that she landed safely from jumping off the five-story building. He let out an exasperated sigh and rubbed his face before changing his clothes.

Once he was all suited up, he took the stairs and went down the building quietly. Upon exiting the dorms, he saw Seokmin still half-asleep and Yuna making a deep frown. The two were clearly unprepared to be waken up in the middle of the night.

"Where the hell are we going now?" Yuna asked angrily.

Jieun smiled. "Outside, of course."

"And where after that?" she asked. "We don't even know where to start!"

"The perfect way to find the Mythos is to walk around and eavesdrop on people," Jieun said. She placed her hood over her head. "Come on. Let's go."

Yuna huffed angrily. "I really hate her."

"Don't we all?" Jungkook muttered, disappointed that he would not be able to attend the Deviation Ceremony.

"I just want to sleep," Seokmin murmured tiredly.

The three followed their Instructor and walked outside. Before they stepped out of the gates, Jieun turned and looked at the building. She stared at it for quite some time, causing the rest to stare at her with curiosity.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asked.

"No." Jieun smiled again. "Nothing."

He followed her gaze and realized that she was looking at the stadium. 

"Let's leave," she said.

"Were you thinking about Leo?" he asked. Jieun reacted to Leo's name. "So I'm right?"

"Mm… Well, you're not entirely wrong," she said, making a light laugh. "But that's for next time." She stepped outside of the gates and inhaled. "Wow, this is pretty refreshing."

The three were a bit hesitant to walk beyond the border, but did when Jieun was walking further away from them. Once they stepped out, they felt a little light-headed. For some reason, the air seemed more fresh than it was within the gates. Jieun turned and grinned.

"Did you feel something change?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" Jungkook asked.

Jieun looked at them, amused. "Nothing. Nothing at all."

"She's so vague," Yuna whispered.

"She has a lot of secrets, after all," Seokmin said quietly. "But that's expected of a Keeper. They usually keep their Mythos a secret."

"Oh," Jieun said, clasping her hands. "I need to show you three something important."

"Right now? Can't it wait until daylight? It's pretty dark outside," Seokmin pointed out.

"I have to show it at this time. I woke you three up for this reason," Jieun said. She gave them a tender expression. "With this, I hope you three don't keep any secrets from me. As a team, we need to work to trust each other, right?"

They nodded.

She extended out an arm to the side.

"Jungkook, you've already met her, but Yuna and Seokmin, you two were unconscious," she said. "The Keeper of the Kreo, summoning: The Gumiho."

A white glow appeared by her side. The glow turned to a human figure before it dissipated, revealing an alluring woman wearing a white hanbok. From behind, nine fluffy tails rose and danced in the air. The woman's eyes opened, showing a brief blue glow before turning to brown.

"Kang Hanna the Gumiho, Nine-Tailed Fox. Reporting for duty."

Seokmin widened his eyes and covered his opened mouth with a nervous fist. He kept tapping on Yuna's shoulder, who stared at the fox-like lady with dismay. Jungkook, recalling the familiar creature, looked at with her surprise only because Jieun was showcasing a mystical power.

"Y-Yuna! Yuna! Yuna! Do you see that?" Seokmin turned to Jungkook. "Jungkook! Jungkook, it's a—"

"Kreo creature," Jungkook finished.

Yuna was about to take out her weapon until the woman's eyes turned blue.

"Stand down," Hanna barked. "Or I'll kill you."

Yuna felt chills running through her spine.

"Now, now," Jieun said, calming the situation. "Hanna, we don't kill these guys. They are our friends." Hanna didn't believe her. "Seokmin, Yuna, Jungkook. This is Hanna. She is my Kreo creature that I made."

"What is your purpose for showing us this?" Jungkook asked.

"Well, as Mythos Hunters, I thought it would be a good idea to tell you that I, indeed, have the Mythos of Kreo in my possession."

"Prove it," Jungkook said. His plan was that when Jieun revealed the Mythos of Kreo, he would snatch it away and return to the school. 

"I can't," she said.

"So you don't have it?"

"That's not it." She pointed to her stomach. "I ate it."

There was a long pause.

Seokmin frowned. "You…ate it?"

"Yes."

"And it still works?" Seokmin asked, fascinated.

"Apparently."

Seokmin looked at Hanna. "Is she serious?"

"If that is what she says," Hanna said, "then that is what is true for us."

"But it's not… How does it… It doesn't make any sense!" Seokmin exclaimed.

"I assume that when I ate it, the Mythos of Kreo diffused and has become one with me," Jieun explained. "I don't know how to really explain it, either."

"I don't believe it," Jungkook declared.

Jieun didn't smile for a second, but replaced it quickly with a grin. "Well, I can't convince you otherwise."

"It does make sense," Seokmin murmured, still trying to calculate everything. "It could be a reason why the Ministry couldn't find the Mythos of Kreo on her…"

"Don't be stupid. She can't eat a Mythos," Yuna retorted.

"Why not? It's something that was never tested or imagined until now," Seokmin said. "She certainly could have eaten the Mythos of Kreo and its magical components could be in her blood now."

"Well, I just wanted to let you all know that Hanna will be accompanying us at any given time," Jieun said.

"And I wanted to let you know that if something happens to my Keeper, I will eat your hearts and livers," Hanna said in a menacing tone. The three went pale.

"Hanna might be intimidating, but she's very kind," Jieun said. "You can return, Hanna."

Hanna nodded. She bowed respectfully to Jieun before she turned back to a glowing ball and disappeared. The three students continued to stare at the air where Hanna once stood, unable to tell if they were still dreaming or not.

Then, Jungkook looked at Jieun. "Is that all?"

"What do you mean?" Jieun asked.

"Is Hanna the only one you wanted to show us? From what we've learned, the Mythos of Kreo holds all of the Kreo creatures that were ever created," Jungkook explained.

Jieun faked a smile with the moon shining behind her, casting a shadow on her face.

"Well, there's obviously more, but they won't be any use to me if they don't like me." She gave them a pitiful look. "And, unfortunately, I'm not a very likable person."