The Cotillion

Mythos: Cries of the Kreo

A few days after the Mythos Hunters returned to the Academy, they were welcomed and spoiled with cheers and gifts. They were quickly treated at the medical facility and nursed back to health. Out of the group, it took Jieun the longest to recover. Even though everyone else was discharged from the facility, Jieun was the only one who had to stay back for another extra week.

It had been nearly a month since the group arrived at the Academy. All Mythos Hunters were reported to return, and they came back in time for the Cotillion announcement. The Cotillion was a formal event that was rarely hosted in the Academy. It was reserved for very special occasions, and the retrieval of the Mythos of Sleef was worthy enough for the Academy to host one. Everyone knew that the Academy would go on spending a ridiculous amount of fortune on the event, which meant that training was canceled for a few days until the day of the Cotillion. 

On the day of Jieun's discharge, Seokmin urged Jungkook and Yuna that they should go and visit her.

"Why?" Jungkook asked, annoyed. "I don't see the need to visit her."

"Aw, come on!" Seokmin exclaimed. He was holding a bouquet of flowers in his arms. "Neither of you two visited her when she was conscious and recovering. She's been asking about you two."

"And you've been reporting to her about our well-being. Isn't that enough?" Jungkook pointed out.

Seokmin pouted. "Well, no. Telling her that you're fine compared to her seeing that you guys are okay are two completely different things!"

"Seokmin, Jungkook's tired. He's been getting measured and needing to talk to several important people all day. Give him a break," Yuna said.

Since the Cotillion was coming up, the Academy wanted Jungkook and his teammates to wear the finest clothing. They were getting custom designer wear and were expecting to look their best on the day of the dance. Jungkook desperately didn't want to go, but he knew that he couldn't refuse.

"Oh, come on. It won't hurt to just see her and check up on her," Seokmin argued. He let out a small sigh. "She's been lonely, you know? She can't summon her Kreo creatures in a place with high security. She literally has no one else to talk to except for us."

"What about Kyungsoo?" Jungkook pointed out.

"He's still getting therapy. I heard that he's been crying less, though."

"Hm." Jungkook grunted. "I don't think I need to see her."

Seokmin frowned, then looked at Yuna. "Yuna, my beloved, will you join me and—"

"Can't. Jungkook and I are going to look at the type of fabric that the designers are planning to use," Yuna said, interrupting him. She smiled warmly at Jungkook. "It's just going to be the two of us. I asked if they can make me and Jungkook look like a pair." She glanced at Seokmin. "Hope you don't mind that you'll be dressed as a pair with Jieun, but I doubt you do. After all, you get along with her great."

"Is that jealousy I hear?" Seokmin teased.

"In your dreams," Yuna said.

"At this rate, you won't see her until the night of the Cotillion," Seokmin said.

"Sounds great," Jungkook told him. He waved at him. "Tell Jieun that the flowers are from us."

Seokmin scowled, then let out a small chuckle.

"Ah, I can't stay mad at you," Seokmin said, grinning. "Alright. I'm going to go ahead." He looked at Jungkook one last time. "You sure you don't want to check up on her?"

"There's no need for me to keep my eyes on her when you're already doing it," Jungkook explained.

"Yeah, but right now, I'm not sticking next to her to spy on her. I'm visiting her like a friend," Seokmin said. 

"You're her student," Yuna reminded him. "Not her friend."

"Okay, so like her student. Basically, I'm sticking with her right now because I care," Seokmin explained. Jungkook's ears twitched when he heard the last word. "Well, you two wouldn't understand. After all, you guys both with basic manners…"

 

* * *

 

"I don't want to go," Jungkook muttered, feeling crossed.

He was already in his formal uniform for the event. He wore a white shirt with a black blazer with a golden embroidery running vertically on one side of his chest. He had a black and white continental cross tie that matched the rest of his uniform.

"Aw, come on," Seokmin said. "It's not going to be that bad. Besides, you just have to stay there until the Dance of Ending."

Seokmin, too, was in a formal attire similar to Jungkook's, but he was wearing a silky ruby-colored vest with golden swirls around it. Instead of a white shirt, he wore a long-sleeved black shirt that matched his pants. He had a smooth black puff tie running down inside his vest.

"What's taking them so long?" Jungkook asked impatiently.

"Girls take a little longer than us," Seokmin reminded him. "They'll be done soon."

"I want to go on ahead," Jungkook complained.

"Well, we can't do that. It's against the rules," Seokmin pointed out.

Jungkook sighed, frustrated. He continued to cross his arms and leaned against the wall, glaring at nothing in particular. Seokmin chuckled and leaned on the wall across from him.

"The Cotillion, huh? We haven't danced in ages," Seokmin said. "We were always taught to do it, but there wasn't any case for us to do it."

"I didn't like dancing, anyway," he muttered.

"Cheer up, Jungkook."

Jungkook didn't say anything. When both heard the door unlock, they turned their heads. 

Yuna slowly stepped out from the door, her cheeks slightly red in embarrassment. Her long rich black hair was beautifully braided with small blue flowers. She was wearing a blue velvet shoulderless dress with a halter neckline hugging her neck. Her dress was bordered with black and gold embroidery, matching the gold on Seokmin's and Jungkook's clothes.

"H-How do I look?" she asked nervously. Her eyes were glued to Jungkook, who seemed less tense before. Seokmin stopped leaning against the wall and turned his entire body, facing her, speechless.

"You look good," Jungkook commented. 

Her dress swayed against the floor. Yuna smiled and blushed.

"R-Really? I don't look too weird?" she asked.

"You look perfect," Seokmin whispered.

Yuna glared at him. "I wasn't asking you."

"What about me?" Seokmin asked, changing the subject. He smirked. "Don't I look great as well? Look, the gold is matching yours."

"And Jungkook's," Yuna remarked. She smiled at Jungkook. "Aren't you excited?"

"I'm so bored of waiting," Jungkook grumbled.

Yuna's smile faded. "Oh… Yeah, same."

"Look at the two of you," Seokmin said, shaking his head. He clicked his tongue. "You two are literally the center of our celebration, yet you both have the worse attitude for this dance."

"Where's Jieun?" Jungkook asked Yuna, completely ignoring Seokmin's comment.

"She's almost done," Yuna said.

"I'm done now," a voice said. The three turned and looked up. Jieun appeared out of the door with gracious steps. Jungkook's eyes widened a bit.

Jieun's hair was short, but she managed to tie a part of her brown hair into a small waterfall twist braid. Her outfit consisted of thin and flowing fabric that resembled what fairies would wear. The first part of her dress was in orange, looking tattered and rough, while the second part of her dress was in a soft yellow. Large golden embroidery covered the bottom of her yellow dress.

She looks like…

"A sunset," Jungkook whispered, finishing his thoughts out loud. Seokmin and Yuna darted their eyes at him before they looked back at Jieun.

"You look beautiful as well, Jieun," Seokmin said happily. He approached her and kissed the back of her hand.

Jieun laughed. "Aw, you flatter me, Seokmin! You look handsome, too!"

"I hope I can dance with you this evening," Seokmin said.

"You'll be my first dance if they allow it," Jieun told him. "I haven't been to a Cotillion in a while. I forget the customs there."

"No one remembers," Seokmin said in a matter-of-fact tone. "The Academy hosts the Cotillion so rarely, people just do as they're told at the dance."

"I'm not surprised," Jieun said, giggling. She beamed. "Hey, look! We're matching! It's like you and me are the sun and Jungkook and Yuna are like the moon."

They looked at their outfits. Seokmin and Jieun were definitely dressed in more brighter colors while Jungkook and Yuna dressed in cooler colors. Yuna took advantage of Jieun's comment and locked arms with Jungkook. She flashed them a smile.

"Then we can go in these pairs," Yuna said.

"Let's just hurry," Jungkook said. "We're running late."

Jungkook and Yuna walked off first. Jieun clicked her tongue.

"Somebody's grumpy," Jieun muttered. Seokmin extended out his arm for her to lock. She sighed and smiled. "Well, I'm glad you're my partner, Seokmin. You're one of the more decent ones in this group. I haven't seen those two guys for a really long time and they're treating me as if they saw me a few hours ago."

"I'm the only decent one in this group," Seokmin remarked. 

The two laughed and only stopped when Jungkook yelled at them to hurry.

 

* * *

 

"…Introducing the guests of honor: Instructor Lee Jieun and her students—Jeon Jungkook, Choi Yuna, and Lee Seokmin!"

Upon their arrival at the Cotillion, they saw everyone turn their heads to the top of the staircase. Everyone was dressed in elaborate clothings, but the four stood would with their golden embroiders and detailed sewing work. 

Jieun felt herself stiffen as she tried to smile at the large crowd. The venue was a lot bigger than she had imagined, and she didn't expect to see every single member of the Academy participate in the Cotillion. She took a step back, bumping into Jungkook. Jungkook let out an annoyed grunt, scowling at her lack of professionalism.

Seokmin walked over to Jieun and offered her his arm. Jieun hesitated, but took it. He smiled warmly at her as the two descended down the stairs. Jungkook followed suit, offering his arm to Yuna, who shyly accepted. She could feel the other girls glare at her, but she didn't care. At this moment, she felt like a princess—no, she felt like she was Jungkook's princess.

The four walked down the stairs. The audience kept their gaze on the four until they finally landed on the floor. 

Then, Jieun whispered to Seokmin, "How long are they going to stare at us?"

"Not too long. We're walking straight ahead to listen to the Ministry's speech," Seokmin informed her.

They continued to walk through the center of the room. People moved to the side, showing different reactions towards each member. When they finally arrived at the opposite end of the room, they found the three Ministry members sitting on their thrones.

On the left, a short slender woman with a teal edgy bob cut rested her legs on one arm of her seat while she leaned her back against the other arm of the chair. She had her right arm sticking out, showing off her richly painted nails. She gazed that the four with tired seductive eyes. She was wearing a seductive and tight grayish slit dress, exposing much of her thighs. A few blushed and looked away, with Seokmin being one of them.

On the right, there was a thin man with dark hair. His bangs nearly covered his eyes, but when he gazed down at everyone, people could see his cold look. He was wearing a white suit and a silver earring. He had a golden cane leaning against his chair. On the other side him, a tortoise about half his size was resting next to him, occupying himself with a snack of fruits.

Jaejoong, who was sitting in between the two Ministry members, finally stood up and smiled at Jieun before looking at her students.

"On behalf of the Ministry members," Jaejoong started, "we would like to thank you for your efforts in retrieving the Mythos of the Sleef. You are contributing to the safety of our world, and we appreciate all that you have done so far."

Jieun forced a smile. "You would think that if you were truly thankful, those two other Ministry members would be up on their feet as well."

Jaejoong smiled while everyone stared at Jieun with absolute shock. Then, Jaejoong glanced back at Gain and Yesung. The two exchanged looks before reluctantly getting up from their seat. They bowed with Jaejoong.

"We thank you," Jaejoong repeated. He lifted his head and gestured the Ministry members to sit down. They did without being told to do so. Jieun slowly nodded her head and faked a smile.

"I'd like to say that my students are only in charge of retrieving the Mythos," Jieun said. "If anything happens to the Mythos of Sleef from this point on, I'd like to make an announcement right now that we are not responsible for protecting it when it is in the Academy."

There were murmurs and mutters in the air. Jungkook glared at Jieun, offended. He was about to say something, but something made him stay silent.

"You don't need to worry," Jaejoong told her. "We will have our finest guard protect the Mythos of Sleef." He gave her a dangerous smile. "Just stick with collecting the other Mythos, understand?"

Jieun nodded. Jaejoong looked up at everyone.

"Everyone, please have a wonderful time at today's Cotillion," Jaejoong said. "For the remainder of the night, I would like to ask everyone to enjoy eating, dancing and socializing. Please do not leave until we have the Dance of Remembrance."

Jaejoong turned and sat down back at the throne to watch. The musicians began to strum their instruments. Everyone made space at the center for people to dance, but no one walked to the center.

Seokmin extended his hand out to Jieun. "May I have the first dance?"

Jieun smiled and took his head. "Why, of course!"

The two walked over to the center and began to dance. Soon, a few other pairs came out from the crowd and began to dance. The place became chatty and people were finally starting to feel comfortable enough to move around.

Jungkook turned around. Yuna, surprised, frantically caught up with him. She followed him in silence until he took a seat far from the crowd. Yuna anxiously looked at the dancers before looking back at Jungkook.

"Um, aren't you going to dance?" Yuna asked.

"No. Frankly, I want to get out of here as soon as possible," Jungkook said. He closed his eyes and crossed his arms.

"You're going to sleep?"

"I'll try, but I don't think I can with all these noise," Jungkook said.

"Oh…" There was disappointment in her tone, but Jungkook didn't catch it at all.

A few minutes later, he heard someone scurry over to his side. There were a few giggles and whispers, but Jungkook could immediately tell that it was some of his admirers attempting to ask him to dance.

"U-Um, Jungkook," someone said. Jungkook didn't bother to open his eyes. "I was wondering if you wanted to dance—"

"Get lost," Yuna snapped. "Jungkook's tired. Don't you know that he's been hunting for the Mythos all this time? Give him a break. He'll dance when he wants to."

He heard the girl whimper before she left. Jungkook opened his eyes and chuckled. Yuna's cheeks flushed red.

"W-What?" Yuna stammered.

"Nothing. I was just thinking that I can count on you when it comes to these things," Jungkook said, smiling. He looked at her. "Aren't you going to dance?"

Yuna squirmed at her spot. "Well, I don't have a dance partner…"

"Why don't you ask Seokmin to dance with you?" Jungkook suggested.

"He's dancing with Jieun."

"Yeah, but after that."

Yuna squirmed at her spot. "Well, yeah, but…" She shyly eyed at him. "I don't know. I was kind of hoping that you'd dance with me?" She felt herself get hot. "I-I don't mean to force you to dance or anything! I mean, I'm not sure if I'm good at dancing. Like, I'm kind of nervous to step on people's foot and all? I don't want to hurt anyone, and if I'm dancing with Seokmin, I have to wait…"

She nervously glanced at him. Please ask me to dance with you…

"Well, that's too bad. I guess you'll have to wait a bit longer," Jungkook said casually. 

Yuna felt her heart sink. "Yeah…"

For the rest of the hour, Yuna stood next to Jungkook, watching people dance enviously.

 

* * *

 

Jieun laughed as Seokmin twirled her around for the nth time. As he drew her back in his arms, Jieun grinned.

"Honestly, I didn't know how fun it would be to dance at the Cotillion," she said.

"Right?" Seokmin looked at the musicians. "It looks like this song is coming to an end." At the final note, he bowed to Jieun, who curtsied back. Then, he kissed the back of her hand. "I'm afraid that I must leave you to dance with the other ladies."

Jieun looked behind him and noticed a group of girls giggling and anxiously waiting for his dance.

"Wow, you're pretty popular," Jieun said.

"Not as popular as Jungkook. During this entire time, girls have been swarming towards him. Yuna's been chasing them away," Seokmin said, adding a laugh at the end of his sentence.

"Why don't you ask Yuna to dance next?" Jieun suggested.

"No, she wants her first dance to be with Jungkook, but it looks like Jungkook won't dance with her or with anyone," Seokmin remarked. The girls randomly grabbed Seokmin's arm and pulled him away, giggling and fighting for his next dance. As he was being dragged away, he yelled to Jieun, "Try to get him to dance, will you? It's kind of an eyesore."

Jieun laughed and nodded. As she watched Seokmin leave to dance with someone else, she finally turned to ask Jungkook to dance with her. However, the second she turned around, she saw Kyungsoo standing behind her. He seemed a lot better compared to the last time she had seen him. He smiled weakly at her and extended his hand.

"May I have your next dance?" Kyungsoo asked in a small voice.

Jieun nodded and took his hand.

The music cued once again. The two circled around, dancing in silence for the first minute until Kyungsoo decided to speak first.

"My group and I are being sent away to a faraway place," Kyungsoo told her. "You won't see me or my group mates for a long time."

"…Is it because you touched the Mythos of Sleef?" Jieun asked.

Kyungsoo paused, then nodded. "They told me that it would be more therapeutic for me to distance myself from everything and start the mission further away. This way, we can cover more ground."

Jieun looked at him sadly. "Be careful, Kyungsoo."

"Our group has been assigned to find the enemy's base," he added.

Jieun widened her eyes. "That's way too dangerous! Kyungsoo, those people are really good at fighting. From what I remember, they have two former Academy members there, and both of them were high-ranked."

"I know, but I think this will be better than hunting for the Mythos," Kyungsoo said. He kept quiet for a few minutes, then sighed. "It's a huge risk, I know, but don't worry. I'm good at knowing when to retreat, you know?"

Jieun frowned. "But still…"

"Don't worry about me," he assured her. "Oh, and don't worry about your secret with the Kreo. I'm keeping that a secret and I've instructed my students to stay secretive, too."

"Thanks," Jieun whispered. She continued to look glum as the two danced.

"Come on. Don't give me that kind of expression. We're both just doing our job."

"I didn't sign up for this."

"Well, I did." Kyungsoo finally smiled. "I'll be fine, Jieun. Don't worry. Take care of your own group mates, okay?"

"They're all brats," she complained.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "Oh, come on. You were worse than them. I mean, you got kicked out of the Academy."

"Yeah, for different reasons," she muttered. She pouted. "I'll miss you."

"Don't worry about me. Just keep doing what you need to do," he said. "I'm sure that you could've ran away at any given moment, but you chose to stay here and complied with the Ministry and the Academy. That says something, doesn't it?"

Jieun faked a grin. "As expected of you, Kyungsoo. You're sharp."

Kyungsoo didn't say anything else. The song came to an end, and he excused himself to dance with the others. Before he left, she grabbed his wrist. She gave him a painful expression.

"He's alive," she told him. She squeezed his wrist. "This isn't a lie."

Kyungsoo wasn't sure how to respond. He only pulled away, slowly shook his head, then walked back to the crowd. She let out a small sigh and looked around. When it seemed like no one wanted to dance with her, Seokmin swooped in and smiled.

"Another dance?" Seokmin asked.

Jieun managed to smile. "Sure, why not?"

 

* * *

 

Jungkook was bored. He refused to dance with everyone who came up and asked him for a dance. He was tired over constantly rejecting the dance offers and even tried to move to a different location, only to encounter the same results. It was easier when he had Yuna stand next to him the entire time, but Seokmin came by and dragged Yuna to the dance floor. Jungkook assumed that Yuna was getting bored of standing, and he didn't really blame her. Initially, Yuna had tried to refuse, but Seokmin was dragging her away at his own pace, leaving Jungkook alone for longer than he had expected.

A couple minutes later, he felt a presence stand before him. He groaned and looked up. He jolted in his seat, slightly surprised to see Jieun standing in front of him. Her skin was lightly coated with sweat from swinging around in circles for hours. She extended her hand and tilted her head.

"Dance with me?" Jieun asked.

Jungkook looked at her extended hand, then at her face. It was difficult to read her expression when the ceiling light was shining behind her, but he could make out the usual tender smile on her face.

"Me? Dance with you?" Jungkook repeated, keeping his arms crossed.

"Well, you don't have to," Jieun said. She continued to extend her hand, "but if you want to dance with me, you better take it now."

"Why don't you ask Seokmin to dance with you?" Jungkook suggested.

"We already danced a gazillion times." Jieun finally withdrew her hand. "Guess I'm not getting a dance from you?"

Jungkook snorted. "In your dreams—"

"May I have your attention, please?" Everyone turned their heads to the back of the room. Jaejoong smiled warmly at the Academy members with his dark eyes. "Thank you so much for attending the Cotillion. I hope you have experienced a joyous occasion with us tonight." Jaejoong extended his arms. "I now ask that the Instructor and one of their students to come up on the stage for our final celebratory dance: The Dance of Remembrance. Instructors, please pick a student of the opposite gender to dance with you at the center of the ballroom."

Jieun looked at Jungkook, who scowled. "Well, I guess I'm getting a dance after all."

"Go find Seokmin."

"I told you, I've already danced with him."

She extended her hand again. Jungkook looked at it. He knew that all eyes were on him and Jieun at this point. He let out a small sigh and took her hand, getting up from his chair and lead her to the dance floor. The two were welcomed by Kyungsoo and Jinsol, who gave them a small nod of approval. A tall male Instructor walked over to the dance floor with a thin and mature female student. The fourth and final instructor walked up with a female student with short hair and a smokey gaze.

All eight figures stood at the center of the ballroom, posed and ready to dance as soon as the music started. Jaejoong looked over his shoulders and nodded his head at the conductor. The old man nodded once and turned to the orchestra members. 

The piano played first, followed by the violins. The dancers began to move, the women swinging their dresses as the men guided the steps. All eyes were on the dancers, but most eyes followed the movements of one particular pair. Jieun giggled as she met eye-contact with Jungkook, who stared down at her with a blank expression.

"You're very popular," Jieun remarked. "I can feel all your fangirls' glaring down my back."

"You're imagining things," he said with a small sigh.

"Are you acting obnoxious or humble?"

"Neither." He spun her around once before bringing his hand back on her waist. "I'm only stating the truth."

"Now are you acting dumb?"

Jungkook sighed frustratedly. "I'm only interested in retrieving the Mythos. Nothing else."

"How boring," Jieun said. She watched him spin around her before bringing her back close. "You're very popular, you know that? I wouldn't be surprised if you had a girlfriend."

"I don't have one," he said.

"Then any girls that you're interested in?"

"I have none."

"What about Yuna?"

"Yuna?" Jungkook stared at her. "Yuna is just a friend. More like a sister, actually. She was the first person I knew as a kid at the Academy."

"What if…" Jieun's voice trailed off. She smiled and looked back at him. "No, never mind. I won't say anything until she says something first."

Jungkook stared at her questionably, but he didn't pursue the topic any further. The two continued to dance in silence. 

"What about you?" Jungkook asked.

"What?"

"Are you interested in someone?"

Jieun seemed a bit surprised that he had asked her such a question. "Why?"

"Curious," he said. He wasn't lying. He was curious over who she was interested in. Besides, then didn't that mean that she had a weak spot?

His eyes casted down on her. He felt his heart stop. She had a subtle expression on her face with a bitter-sweet smile. Her eyes were full of pain, yet her quiet gaze could not hide the love she harbored for the man she loved. She closed her eyes and listened to the music, keen on flooding her past with the sound of the violin's cry. 

"I am," she confessed, "but he is not interested in me anymore."

Jungkook watched her smile fade. She looked up at him slowly, then broke into another smile. Her steps slowed down and he followed her pace. When she stopped, he seemed confused as to why she stopped moving.

"Looks like the song has ended," Jieun said. Jungkook looked up and noticed that the song had stopped playing. People who had been watching clapped, blessed with the sight of the beautiful dance. Jungkook turned to the audience with Jieun and bowed.

The second they raised their heads, Jieun slowly slid her fingers out of his grasp. She was about to turn and walk away, but she felt something grab her wrist. Jieun turned and saw Jungkook holding onto her.

"Yes?" she asked. He snapped out of his thoughts and gasped. He looked up at her with an expression of shock before he quickly jerked away.

"S-Sorry," he stuttered. He felt his cheeks heat up.

"About what?"

"A-About… It looked like I brought back some bad memories for you," he stuttered.

Jieun laughed, her voice tinkering like silver bells. He felt his heart swell up.

"It's okay?" she said, unsure of how to respond. She gave him one final smile. "I'll see you around. I'm going to return to my room."

"You're leaving?"

"Yeah. Seokmin tired me out." She glanced over at the crowd. "Why don't you ask Yuna for a dance before you leave? I think she's been trying to ask you to dance."

Jungkook blinked. Before he could say anything else, Jieun made her way through the crowd and left the Cotillion. As she disappeared into the crowd, Jungkook couldn't help but keep his gaze on her. He felt something hollow in his heart, as if he had wanted to spend a little more time with Jieun. He looked down at his chest. A memory of Jieun's painful expression appeared in his head. His chest squeezed and he felt awful. He looked back up and stared at the direction where Jieun had left, like a puppy waiting for his owner to return to their home.

Finally, he turned around, only to see that Yuna was standing right behind him. She nearly jumped at her spot when she locked eyes with Jungkook.

"Oh, Yuna," Jungkook said. He paused. "I'm planning to return back to the dorms."

"O-Oh," she stuttered. "Oh, okay. Um, I'll go with you. Let me just let Seokmin know—"

He extended his hand. Yuna stared at it and blinked.

"What's this?" she asked.

"I thought we should dance at least once while we're here," Jungkook said. "Do you want to dance with me before we leave?"

Yuna felt her cheeks rise. She didn't get Jungkook's first dance, but she was getting Jungkook's last dance. She shyly nodded and took his hand. 

While they danced, Yuna could tell that all the girls were staring at her with pure jealous and hatred. Even though she seemed happy with her situation, she couldn't help but recall the expression he was making when Jieun was leaving. 

She had never seen such a soft expression on his face. She knew better than anyone that no women could make him look like that. Not even she could make him look like that. Her heart raced, anxious that she was losing the man she loved, wondering if he knew what kind of expression he had when he watched Jieun walk out of the doors.

 

* * *

 

"Let's dance!" Seven-year old Jieun grabbed Taekwoon's hands, forcing him to drop his book.

"B-But I can't dance…" The ten-year old stuttered. He weakly tried to resist her, but Jieun's energy was already something he could not resist. With his cheeks pink, he got up and was dragged outside in the garden. Jieun kept giggling and laughing, excited to dance with him.

They stopped next to a large tree. She posed and got ready, while Taekwoon clumsily tried to prepare himself for the dance.

"You dance funny," she said, giggling hysterically.

He turned red. "I-I can't dance, Jieun. I really can't…"

"You can! I believe in you! It's not that hard," she told him. "Watch!"

Her tiny feet guided the older boy. He felt embarrassed to dance outside, even though there was no one watching them. He was clumsy and stumbled over a few times, but he always managed to regain his balance and proper timing. Jieun counted out loud, laughing and smiling as they danced. Her cheeks were as red as the apples hanging on the branches above them. Her smile sparkled and every time she laughed, it made him smile, and his smile would make her heart race with fiery passion.

"Taekwoon, Taekwoon! Are you seeing this?" she exclaimed, proud that her tempo was starting to seem more consistent.

"Yes," he replied in a soft voice. "I'm always watching over you…"

Jieun opened her eyes. She looked out on the balcony, watching the moon glimmer in the sky. Her eyes watered slightly, but she refused to let her tears fall. She closed her eyes again, sagged her shoulders, then sighed.

"Liar," she whispered.

Then, she sensed someone creeping behind her. She whirled around and glared at the figure hiding in the shadows of the moonlight.

"Keeper of the Sleef," Jieun called, "or should I address you as a former Keeper?"

Jihoon lightly chuckled before he revealed himself. "Hello, Keeper of the Kreo."

"You're free," Jieun said. "Did you escape? I thought they were going to keep you as their prisoner."

"I sure did," he said.

"What about the Sleef? I don't see that you're carrying it."

"I've decided to leave it in the Academy. I'll take it back when the time is right," Jihoon told her.

Jieun smirked. "I doubt you can take it back. The Academy will be keeping a close watch on it."

"The Academy will not always be as peaceful at it is right now," Jihoon chirped back. Then, he frowned. "Keeper of the Kreo—"

"Jieun," she said. "Call me Jieun."

Jihoon nodded. "Jieun, I must warn you. Currently, everyone believes that if you make eye-contact with the Keeper of the Sleef, you will be under the Sleef's influence. However, that's not how it works."

Jieun paused. "And why are you telling me this? How can you know to trust me?"

"The Keeper of the Corolla informed me that you are a trustable Keeper." Jihoon paused. The two heard footsteps getting louder in the hall. Jihoon pulled over the sheet of blanket to cover his face. "If you ever need to find me, contact the Keeper of the Corolla."

"And where are you going?"

"Traveling," Jihoon said. He smiled. "I still have followers depending on me."

Jieun remained quiet, but eventually nodded. She closed her eyes for a few seconds, then opened them.

Jihoon was gone.

There was a knock on the door. 

"Come in," Jieun said calmly.

The door swung open. A guard stepped in.

"I heard voices," the guard told her. "Is there anyone here with you?"

"I was talking to myself, but you're free to search around," Jieun said. She kept her gaze on the guard, who took upon her offer and searched her room. In the corner of the eyes, she saw Jihoon sneaking out of the door and scurrying away. She closed her eyes and smiled at the guard, giggling at his foolishness.