What If...?

Where We Belong
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mamamoo are on their way back to Seoul after a schedule. It was an awkward ride back from Busan, where they performed at a University Festival. Solar and Wheein haven’t been talking to each other. It has been that way for a while now and it always got awkward inside the car since those two tend to be the loudest and with them not talking, basically no one is. Moonbyul and Hwasa tried to coax the two into playing around and making up but to no avail. Now, those two spend their time in the car sleeping side by side on the middle seats, with Solar in the front beside their manager and Wheein occupying the entire back seat, her face covered with either a blanket or a stuffed toy.

The car ride was quiet, save for Hwasa’s soft snoring and the rustling of Wheein’s clothes as she shuffled in the back. The manager unnie trying to drive a bit faster, not wanting to stay in the car any longer with the quiet and awkward atmosphere in it, not even the songs on the radio could chase out.

Amidst all this, Solar was quietly thinking. Just two weeks ago everything was fine between Wheein and her, but the latter suddenly started ignoring her and wouldn’t tell her why no matter how much she pleaded. Yesterday, she finally had enough and confronted Wheein. They were in the practice room, just the two of them, since Byuli and Hyejin hasn’t arrived yet. Yongsun approached Wheein and tentatively asked her why she was avoiding her. Wheein only looked at her with a blank expression that frustrated Yongsun. She didn’t know what to do anymore, she was tired of Wheein ignoring her and she was not stopping today until Wheein tells her why.

“Why are you ignoring me? Did I do anything wrong? For God’s sake Wheein! Just tell me!” Yongsun shouted, anger and frustration slowly consuming her.

“No unnie. I just… it’s nothing.” Wheein replied in a whisper, avoiding Yongsun’s eyes.

“Nothing? If it’s nothing then why won’t you talk to me? Why won’t you even look at me?! Wheein, please tell me. I’m your unnie and your leader, you should tell me if something’s bothering you so I can help you.”

“I said it’s nothing so can we please just stop talking about it? I can handle it by myself. I don’t need your help. Stop acting like you care about me for one second! I don’t need you... I don’t…” Wheein trailed off, with tears threatening to fall, she hurriedly picked up her bag and walked towards the door, bumping into Moonbyul and Hyejin.

x---------------------x

While Yongsun was busy replaying yesterday’s events in her mind, the car stopped at a gasoline station. Hyejin and Moonbyul were awake now. They were going to the convenience store to buy some snacks with their manager.

“Yongsun unnie, would you like something to drink? Soda?” Moonbyul asked her, to which Yongsun nodded a yes.

When they left, Yongsun glanced at Wheein, who was still lying down at the back. She knows Wheein has a slight fever before they performed that night. She decided to check on her.

She knelt on the space between the middle seats, without touching Wheein, she asked, “Wheein-ah, are you okay? Does your head hurt? Do you need anything?”

Without a word, Wheein pulled the blanket from her face and stared at Yongsun. It lasted for a few minutes before Yongsun spoke again.

“Uhm, I- I said, do you want me to get you something from the convenience store? I can get you something to drink if-if you like.” Yongsun stuttered, Wheein’s gaze making her nervous.

The car door opened, surprising them both, Moonbyul was standing there holding her snacks while looking at them and Yongsun was looking at Moonbyul, both too stunned to say anything. Hyejin came up from behind Byul to see what silenced the girl who was just talking to her seconds before. With a knowing look, Hyejin motioned to close the car door.

Yongsun looked back to Wheein who was still intently looking at her. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be bothering you. I’m gonna go, um…” She started to stand and move back to the front seat when Wheein held her wrist and made her look back.

“Please stay with me unnie.” Wheein said, barely a whisper. Yongsun nodded and motioned for Wheein to move. She sat by the window and Wheein sat closely beside her, her head resting on Yongsun’s shoulder, her eyed closed shut.

“Unnie, can I hold your hand?”

“Of course, anything for you.” Yongsun replied while interlacing their fingers. They stayed like that for a while, both not saying anything. Yongsun then knocked on the window, signaling the other two members outside that they can enter the car.

Seeing how the two are positioned, Hyejin and Moonbyul exchanged glances before throwing a questioning glance at Yongsun, who just smiled at them, equally confused.

x--------------------------x

They arrived at Wheein’s place after they dropped off Hyejin and Moonbyul at their houses. Yongsun tried waking up Wheein, but the latter could only groan weakly so she opted to carry her instead, with the help of their manager. After laying her down on the bed, Yongsun thanked their manager and told her that she’d stay to take care of Wheein.

After the manager left, Yongsun went to Wheein’s closet to take out a change of clothes for the girl, as well as a small hand towel. She went to the kitchen and filled a small bowl with lukewarm water and went back to Wheein and sat beside her. She lifted Wheein slightly off the bed and removed her shirt, as well as her pants and socks, ignoring the slight heat permeating her face and neck at the sight of the woman before her. She wiped down Wheein’s body methodically, almost mechanically, neither touching nor looking at Wheein’s private parts. When she finished, she dressed Wheein in a loose t – shirt and cotton shorts. She then wiped the sweat off of her face and proceeded to stand up when she felt a hand holding her wrist. By the time she turned around, Wheein was already looking at her, much like how she did back in the van.

“Unnie, don’t go.” said Wheein, showing Yongsun her puppy eyes, as well as a pout that made Yongsun weak.

“I’m not going anywhere Wheeinie, I’ m just gonna make you something to eat so you could take your medicine.” Yongsun smiled and stood up. Wheein whimpered, letting go of Yongsun’s hand reluctantly.

“Come back right away, please.” Yongsun chuckled and nodded her head.

Gosh, she’s so adorable. Yongsun thought as she made her way to the kitchen.

She made ramyun, because it’s easy and because it’s all Wheein had in her kitchen. Yongsun made a menta

Please log in to read the full chapter