Carelessly

Tell Me A Lie (Tell Me The Truth)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minhyun woke up the next day with a dry throat, a throbbing head and on top of that, a sore body. Memories from last night were foggy, only a few of them resurfacing in his head, like burned photographs. There’s a certain guilt gnawing his chest, whispers ringing in his ear, telling him he shouldn’t have done this but Minhyun couldn’t bring back yesterday. The deed is done and the best thing to do is move one and pretend it never happened.

All that’s left is to do is convince himself that it’s nothing.

Minhyun lets out a sigh, ruffling his hair in frustration. All this thinking is not good for his head. It doesn’t ease the pain and only brings him more stress. If Minki found out about his impulsive decision, he’ll surely be in house arrest for the next couple of weeks.

Despite being an easy going and enabling best friend, Choi Minki still sets boundaries. He doesn’t want his best friends going around, destroying their lives.

In their group, Minhyun’s probably the most conservative person and the last one who’ll give permission to a one night stand but in his defense, people change. There’s something in him that snapped overnight, tired from following the rules and being patient all the time. He didn’t have anyone to stop him so he did it.

And now, he regrets it.

He’s been in a daze for a few minutes now, only waking up when his phone vibrated. He takes a peek by the bedside table. A message from Minki. Tons of messages from Minki actually. There’s a few from their other friends, asking him if he’s still alive. Why is it that it’s always the first question? He’s not going to die overnight.

Shaking his head, Minhyun finally tries to assess his current situation.

The sounds of waves, clear skies and words engraved on the wall definitely told him he’s still in Jeju. He’s alive, still in one piece, breathing yet broken. Last, his partner from last night seemed to have fled.

The bathroom door is open, no sign of a living creature emerging from within. The balcony lets in a chilly breeze which catches his attention. Even outside, there’s no sign of a human. There’s no clothes, no shoes, no alcoholic smell permeating in the air. The biggest giveaway is the bed.

It’s fixed, as if no one slept there last night.

Minhyun never had an experience with one night stands, therefore, he deduced it as basic courtesy in this setting.

Leaving before the other wakes up, that way, they don’t have to be burdened with invitations of breakfast and morning coffee.

It’s strictly for fun for them.

It benefited both of them anyways. Minhyun forgot about his ex and he got the fun he wanted.

 

//

 

“You left me hanging for 3 days Minhyun. No calls, no text. I was ready to file a missing persons case!” His return to the office is not so great. Minki’s on his tail the moment they saw each other that morning. In his defense, the last 3 days he spent in Jeju was for healing and no stress (He got neither but there’s no way he’s telling Minki that).

“It’s called healing for a reason Minki” Minhyun sets down his chopsticks to grab something to drink, slightly chuckling when he saw Minki’s pouty face. Currently, they’re the only ones eating in the pantry.

A good number of his coworkers went out to try the newly opened Chinese restaurant across their building. If it wasn’t so hot outside, Minhyun would’ve joined them but Minki insists they eat inside.

“I smell something fishy and honestly Minhyun, you don’t heal in a place where you can suddenly bump into your ex boyfriend slash best friend” Minhyun winced at the words, his mind abruptly forgetting that he’s getting hot water for his coffee. It’s harsh but the truth cannot patch up the lies. “Hwang Minhyun!” Minki’s shout was enough to wake him up, just in time to remove the mug before it overflows. He came from a break but still absent minded as ever. This is not turning great for him so far.

“It’s still for healing!” Minhyun tries to counter, pouring the excess water over the sink. He can feel Minki’s stare boring holes on his back, the question lingering in the air.

What happened in Jeju?

“For healing he says” Minki huffs out, crossing his arms once Minhyun’s back in his chair. There’s not much food left on the younger’s plate, just a few vegetables and he can leave. Minhyun’s pretty sure he won’t though, considering he’s got nothing scheduled for the rest of the day. “Minhyun, what do you take me for? A caveman? A stranger? We grew up together! I know when you’re lying”

Ah yes. The powers of growing up. They develop some form of psychic abilities.

“I’m not lying!”

“Say that one more time and I’ll tell Jonghyun about your little escapade” Minhyun choked on air before he can even choke on his drink. Jonghyun is the last person who should find out about his little trip. He worries too much and ends up stressing himself a lot more than he should. Minhyun sends Minki a glare but it doesn’t faze the young model, too used to it by now.

“You won’t dare”

“Oh Min you know me”

A knock interrupts their conversation “Am I disturbing anything?”

The blood in his face drains at the sight of Jonghyun standing by the door. Minki didn’t purposely say that right? He’s not that evil as far as their history goes.

“Hey Hyun!” Minki greets him cheerfully, putting his food aside before Jonghyun could see. Minhyun raised a brow at the scene, confused as to why the model moved in such haste. When he turned around, Jonghyun’s walking towards them with a paper bag full of food, the smell wafting through the air. It’s an unfamiliar smell. Minhyun squints his eyes at the logo and immediately jumps in recognition.

“You got food from the new restaurant! You are a blessing” Minhyun sounds too excited, quickly patting the chair beside him but Minki beats him to it when he heard a scraping sound.

“Sit here and let’s see what you bought!” He’s a little preoccupied when Jonghyun starts to open the food, the lovely smell only making him hungrier (even if he just finished his food).

Minhyun’s about to compliment Jonghyun for his food choice when he noticed how close Minki’s leaning to his said friend. He m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter