Around November, Birthdays get Rosy Later Pt. 1

The Bloop Group
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(EDIT 12/12/18) A/N: Okay, I'm going to split this thing up into parts.  I hope the reading is easier this way.

 

 

 

(The November before Chaewon entered Polaris Prep)

 

“Really? She struck me as more of a winter person."

“You think everyone who doesn’t smile constantly was born in the winter, Yerim.” Kim Lip rolled her eyes at the younger girl.

“Well Yerim has a point, she does have a cold aura… eh? Get it? Because she has trapped emotions-”

A hand over Jinsoul’s mouth (kind of) stopped her from rambling on.

Kim Lip sneered looking at her two seasonally challenged buddies.

“Why do I hang out with you guys?”

Principal Lee chuckled.

“It’s okay, Jungeun, let them be.  November is almost like a winter month.”

Kim Lip retracted her hand and her judgement in order to listen to Principal Lee.  

The trio was in Lee’s office and though they didn’t know why they were pulled out of class, they were glad they were pulled out of class-

Except Kim Lip.

“Principal Lee, I’m always ready to send these dumbies out to run errands for you, especially when it has to do with Hyejoo, but I have to get ready for the regional debate competition coming up and-”

Principal Lee held up a hand, leading Kim Lip to close , prompting a chuckle from the two goofballs beside her.

“You’re right, I shouldn’t just randomly pull you out of class if I don’t get straight to the point: I just told you that Hyejoo’s birthday is coming up, but the real question is will you help me throw a party for her?  You guys are her only friends and I know she wouldn’t want a party thrown by her lame aunt so if-”

This time it was Yerim’s turn to hold up her hand, making Principal Lee look at her excitedly.

“Don’t worry Principal Lee, little do you know you just asked the best party planner in the world to throw a party for her super duper friend.”

Yerim beamed, her pigtails bouncing in excitement.

“This’ll be the best party Hyejoo’s ever had!”

Principal Lee smiled softly.

“Actually, this will be the first birthday party Hyejoo’s had in awhile.  Since it’s her first year here I really want to make it special to show her that I care about her.”

The trio of faithful friends nodded sincerely.

 

Their new buddy Hyejoo was going to have the party of her life.


 

---


 

“UNNIE GUESS WHAT?!? GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS UNNIE JUST GUESS I’LL GIVE YOU THREE SECONDS ONE TWO THRE-”

Haseul threw a pillow at her alarm, sitting up to stretch.

“OW UNNIE WHAT THE HECK YOU CAN’T DO THAT IT’S MY BIRTH-”

“Wow I guess alarms are getting less and less sensitive these days.” Haseul remarked as her ‘alarm’ got knocked off the bed from another swift pillow attack.

It was Yeojin’s birthday and, though Haseul knew this fact very well, the younger girl always woke Haseul up with her beautiful, and very loud, gift of a voice to sear it into her second cousin’s brain.

Haseul put on her glasses, kicking off the covers and sliding off the bed to walk into the bathroom she shared with her very energetic roommate.

As much as Haseul made fun of Yeojin, calling her ‘Pig’ and throwing pillows at her, she really loved her.  It just took a little extra effort more times than not.

Even though they were second cousins, the cousins who you’re supposed to see once every ten years during a huge family reunion or not recognize if you bump into them in the street, Haseul and Yeojin’s families were quite different.

Haseul’s mom and Yeojin’s mom had such a strong relationship as cousins that they wanted to see their children grow up around each other.  The dads, slowly becoming best friends after having to be together all the time, were definitely on board. So both families moved in together.  Haseul’s brother was currently at the boarding school Haseul attended in the US, so Yeojin was her resident younger sibling. She’d never replace one for the other though, she’s known both all her life.

Haseul smiled into the mirror as she brushed her teeth.  Today is gonna be a great day.

Yeojin was a teenager now, but all she can see is the chubby toddler hopping around like a little frog because of a nature show that was constantly playing on the living room TV.  Yeojin having a first crush, a first driver’s test, a first midterm, that was hard for Haseul to swallow.

The older girl rinsed and turned off the faucet, looking at the mirror one more time.

 

I’m going to give this girl an awesome birthday.


 

---


 

“Ruff. Ruff. Ruff.”

Heejin shook her head, putting the puppy toy down.

This won’t do.

Everything had to be perfect for her girlfriend’s birthday.  Going to two different schools was already hard, there was no way she was going to ruin their monthly meet up with a bad plan.

As she looked through the toy store window, she could see she was getting stares.  Usually this would amuse her and she’d lead on whoever was staring, but she had to focus.

Heejin could be number one with very little effort. She was number one at school in terms of dancing, beauty, prettiness, everything that counted.  But there was no book on how to be a number one girlfriend and this bothered her.

“Maybe toys aren’t right.  Maybe she wants a sportsy thing.”  Heejin zipped up her jacket the most it could go before walking away from the sale stand in front of the toy store.  

It was so chilly that when she exhaled it looked like she took a long drag from a cigarette.  Something she would never do, of course. Why ruin her flawless skin over something like smoking.

Heejin sighed, the little cloud of her breath dissipating as she looked down at her watch.

There was an hour until she was supposed to meet with Hyunjin at their favorite hangout spot.

 

Heejin was determined to get the best birthday gift.


 

---


 

“Pleaseeeee, pretty pleaseeeeee.”

“No, Yujin, I’m not putting that ridiculous thing on.”

“But we’ve been doing it since we were kids.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter