Chapter Three: The Trouble with Demons

Cranberry Candy

Chapter 3: The Trouble with Demons

[The Day After]

The ride to the office was just like any other day for Luhan, except for the fact that this ride wasn’t a bus but instead Oh Sehun’s car. As he recollected last night’s events in his head, he had to shut his eyes tightly to avoid smiling like an idiot.

Go out with me. Go out with me.

Luhan wanted to just smack himself because of how Sehun’s words rang like church bells in his head, but he was just so happy, he couldn’t stop internally chuckling.

“Is everything okay, Luhan?” his boyfriend, Oh Sehun, asked sweetly.

That’s right. Boyfriend. Oh Sehun. Luhan’s boyfriend.

With an overly enthusiastic nodding of his head, Luhan smiled in Sehun’s direction catching a few seconds of eye contact before Sehun’s focus went back to the stretch of asphalt ahead. Luhan’s gaze lingered for a while and he was incredibly glad his identity was found out.

[At Work]

The distance between the carpark to the office building felt too short as Sehun stood in front of the elevators staring at Luhan’s hand that was clasped in his.

“Someone might see…” Luhan said shyly, blinking at Sehun.

Sehun sighed and with one last squeeze, let go of Luhan’s hand. Smiling at each other for no particular reason, Sehun walked through the doors with Luhan by his side and for once in his life felt like everything was perfect.

“Yo, Oh Sehun!”

Until now, that is.

Stopping in their tracks, Sehun’s face automatically hardened at the deep voice that he heard nearly every single day as Park Chanyeol lightly ran towards them from the front entrance. With barely even 3 leaps, he reached where Sehun and Luhan stood.

Besides being annoying, Chanyeol was also unnecessarily tall with stupidly long legs that Sehun thought he’d be good at nothing besides athletics. Smiling a toothy grin Luhan’s way, Sehun suddenly became very aware of the dangerous situation that they had gotten themselves into.

“Hmm, suspicious. Coming to work together…” Chanyeol trailed off before getting closer to Luhan and sniffing his hair, “the scent of Sehun’s shampoo. Ah! And that tie that his father gave him when he got into the company! You two—Ow!”

Before Chanyeol could announce to the whole company that him and Luhan were an item, Sehun quickly pinched his right forearm in a satisfying twist.

“Be quiet or I’ll tell your mother you’ve been sending Kai to all the blind dates she sets you up on,” Sehun threatened, making Chanyeol freeze up immediately.

“Spare me, young master,” Chanyeol said half serious and half as a joke as all three of them made their way into the elevator.

Luhan covered his mouth muffling the soft laughs he was trying to hold back, his eyes squinting beautifully from attempting to compose himself. Sehun stared down at the head of brown hair that was bouncing slightly from Luhan’s giggles, before patting it subconsciously catching Luhan’s attention and coloring his cheeks a soft peach hue. Sehun thought he was just too adorable.

Chanyeol pretended to gag. “Don’t fall for his trap, Luhan. He’s a womanizer.”

Before Sehun could kick Chanyeol or retort to his false claims, Chanyeol already leapt into their section with a simple 5 steps from the elevator.

Curse his stars. I really pray you fall in love with a man too! Sehun thought with ill intent.

“Sehun,” Luhan said sternly, “Womanizer?”

With an awkward laugh, Sehun pinched a part of Luhan’s sleeve before smiling as innocently as possible.

Luhan let out a sharp sigh as his expression turned to judgment mode. “Ahh… well, with that face, it’d be hard not to be one, right?”

With a roll of his eyes and pulling his sleeve away from Sehun’s little grip playfully, Luhan walked away in the direction of his section.

[A week later]

“Luhan, where should this go?” Sehun asked, holding an orange pot of flowers.

Luhan looked around his new living room space and pointed to the area of the room with the best source of sunlight. “There would be good.”

Sehun adjusted the weight of the pot in his hand and brought it over to the area Luhan pointed. Luhan was sorting out some books on the floor as he finally saved enough money to move into a nice apartment. His mother kept telling him to just take her money but it didn’t feel right to use the money she got from seducing poor human men to lease an apartment. He was grateful for the thought (and apologized to the men for his mother’s actions) but he knew he could do it from his own efforts, and it finally came true.

Getting up to inject some feeling back into his numb legs, Luhan took in the new space that was his new home. Turning around to watch what Sehun was doing, Luhan became awestruck again at how handsome Oh Sehun was.

He was simply wearing a black t-shirt with slim fit jeans but watching him move around stuff near the window that had sunlight pouring through it made it look like Sehun was in a commercial. Luhan had to wonder who the incubus was between them two because Luhan sure as hell couldn’t attract people the way Oh Sehun seemed to easily do, much to his dismay.

Within a week of going out and spending time together after work, Luhan had counted the number of times Sehun was hit on by girls. In the span of 7 days, 12 girls had approached him and started flirting with him so casually. Luhan was so deep in thought about such girls that he didn’t notice Sehun who was in front of him.

“So serious,” Sehun said playfully. “Don’t tell me you’re one to fuss over placement in your house?”

Luhan smiled and shook his head. “I was just thinking how popular you are.”

Sehun gave a confused look before smiling smugly. “Is it because of all the women that approached me?”

Luhan reluctantly nodded and began playing with the hem of his long sleeve shirt. Sehun let out a laugh that filled the living room space, making Luhan frown. Sehun in turn hugged the grumpy Luhan.

“Don’t be jealous of them. Don’t you know how much I like you?” Sehun said as if he were stating facts.

“Who said I was jealous. Pff,” Luhan said feigning embarrassment, trying to wiggle his way out of Sehun’s hug. On the contrary, Sehun only pulled him closer.

Whispering in his ear, Sehun simply said a few words but the reassurance Luhan felt both elated and terrified him because it seemed like he was falling even more despite the inkling feeling that this was a bad thing.

“I can only see you, everyone else just fades away. So, let’s stay this way.”

Suddenly feeling hot, from the body warmth or the words Sehun said without even a falter, Luhan put some distance between them. “I… I get it so… stay away from me a while.”

“Huh?” Sehun said puzzled, making his way closer to a now far away Luhan.

“Don’t! I don’t want you to see me right now. It’s… It’s embarrassing,” Luhan whined and pleaded but of course, Oh Sehun just charged forward like he did with everything in their relationship so far.

Sehun studied Luhan’s face carefully, holding Luhan’s wrist firmly yet gentle enough to not be painful. “Your eyes are purple again.”

“Eh? Seriously?” Luhan exclaimed, making his way to the mirror that he just hung up. “Strange… I don’t feel hungry though.”

Staring at himself in the mirror, making a mental note to himself to ask his mother about this weird new occurrence, he suddenly heard Sehun’s muffled laughter in the background.

“What?” Luhan asked, finding Sehun so peculiar.

Stopping himself enough to let out a few words, Sehun began teasing Luhan. “Maybe you’re hungry for something other than blood…”

Inching closer, taking off the gloves he was wearing, Sehun hooked a finger onto one of the belt holder bits on Luhan’s jeans. “Maybe… me?”

Before Luhan could even catch a breath, Sehun had already swept him away mind, body and soul and had physically swept him away into the bedroom.

[2 Months Later]

A clang in the break room captured the attention of the employees in there as Sehun dropped his mug on the floor. Bowing and apologizing to the people around him, he began clearing up the broken mug.

“Hey, are you okay? Shouldn’t you take a sick leave? You look absolutely… well, ty,” Chanyeol said not so kindly.

Sehun frowned at his comment. “Thank you but I’m alright. Just a little dizzy.”

“If you say so, big boy,” Chanyeol said as they both made their way back to the office.

Sitting at his desk, Sehun laid his head on the flat surface and shut his eyes. A warm feeling on his right cheek woke him up and he was pleasantly surprised to see Luhan holding a can of coffee against his cheek.

“You should go home. Even though you’re still handsome, you could be handsomer with rest,” Luhan said playfully, trying to distract Sehun from the bugging headache he had.

Sehun smiled as he got up from his seat but shook his head. “It’s fine. Just the flu or something. It’ll pass.”

Worry strained the angel-like features of Luhan’s face and Sehun wanted to caress his cheek if it weren’t for the many pairs of eyes in the office.

“Well,” Luhan began. “I can come over and make you a light dinner since I can’t do much else.”

Resting a hand on Luhan’s shoulder, Sehun furrowed his eyebrows jokingly being angry, “Worrying will give you wrinkles. I don’t date old men.”

Luhan looked at him in disgust and smacked his chest playfully. “Too bad. I’m already old ‘cos of you.”

A call from Luhan’s manager cut their happiness short as Luhan was called back to his section to deal with a new contract that Luhan had managed to secure. With a curt wave and a ‘get better soon’ from Luhan, Sehun settled back into his chair, the companion he had been with the past 2 weeks banging wildly in his head.

Watching Luhan with heavy eyes, he was happy to see Luhan looking much chirpier and less lethargic compared to before. He was even doing well at work with acquiring two new clients. Sehun was really glad he could be of help to Luhan. Help wasn’t really the right word though, since he was with Luhan for his own selfish desires so who exactly was helping who? Sehun smiled to himself as he closed his eyes, picturing Luhan in his head to give him a bit of relief from the throbbing pain that was escalating more and more.

Getting up from the chair, Sehun regretted it immediately as he lost his balance and the world started spinning.

“Sehun!” he heard a voice yell out before blacking out.

Luhan stared and waited anxiously by Sehun’s bedside at Yin Hospital where Baekhyun became his overseeing physician.

“There’s nothing medically wrong with him but even from a glance, I can tell he’s feeling sick,” Baekhyun stated.

Luhan couldn’t help but agree. Sehun looked so pale that the dark circles under his eyes were so prominent that he could’ve auditioned to be in a Tim Burton film. He was skinnier than before and he seemed to fall asleep more often than before. What could’ve been wrong with him? He started getting sick two weeks ago and Luhan wracked his brain to think of what they did that time or what places they visited that could’ve made Sehun this sick.

“It could be a parasite,” Baekhyun chimed in as he stared into a chart. “All other tests came negative so that leaves that. I’ll ask someone I know to check. Relax Luhan. It’ll be fine.”

Luhan nodded weakly hoping that wasn’t the case, staring at the unconscious Sehun in front of him. Many thoughts ran through his head that Luhan didn’t even notice his mother’s presence next to him.

“So this is him,” his mother stated coldly. “Oh Sehun, was it?”

Luhan got out of his chair. “Oh, you’re here. Yeah, Sehun.”

Walking closer to where Sehun’s head was, Luhan’s mother laid her forefinger and middle finger on Sehun’s forehead before whistling. “You sure did a number on this boy, sweetie.”

“What are you talking about?” Luhan asked, half confused, half afraid.

Pointing to Sehun. “You slept with him right? That’s why he’s like this.”

“W-what?” Luhan stammered, not being able to process what was happening.

“How long has he been sick?”

“2 weeks…”

“And two weeks ago you did it, am I correct? You quite a bit of his life essence. Maybe since you’ve been sustaining yourself with those weak candies. They don’t even taste great. Why go through—“

“Mother, wait,” Luhan began. “Are you saying… I did this to him?”

His mother nodded slowly. “Why yes. You are my son. As my son, you have my powers. And you know what my powers are.”

Luhan fell to his chair, a billion racing thoughts passing through him but the one that rung the most was the thought that if he hadn’t approached Sehun, he wouldn’t be on a hospital bed at that moment. Before he could control himself, tears poured out with no end in sight and the whole situation was too much for him to bear.

“Why are you crying, dear? It’s normal. Just leave him and find someone new. It’s no big—“

“Stop! You can’t possibly understand what I’m going through right now! H-he’s… he’s important to me. You… You don’t know…” Luhan trailed off as his initial anger dissipated. “Please leave, mom.”

Feeling dejected and more so annoyed, Luhan’s mother quickly left but said a few more words as a parting gift. “You aren’t like them, sweetie. Don’t delude yourself into believing you’ll ever be anything like them.”

Staring at Sehun’s daunted face, listening to the the slow beeps of his heart monitor and watching the bustling of nurses and doctors in the hospital, Luhan realized it too. His mother was correct. He could never be anything like a human. He could try all his life and it would’ve never been true. He was no demon, nor was he human but being with Sehun was enough. It was the stuff of dreams and it made Luhan feel like he was part of a family who loved him. Sehun was the only one for him and yet, Luhan felt like he wasn’t right for Sehun.

Succumbing to the despair that clouded his mind, Luhan dug his face into Sehun’s bed hoping the sounds of his fervent sobbing would be drowned out. What was he to do now? He was so in love with Sehun that the thought of leaving him was tearing him apart. The feeling he had nurtured and grown with Sehun by his side was something he wanted to treasure forever, so why? Why did fate have to be this cruel to him?

Pulling his face out of the bed and holding onto Sehun’s hand, he made the decision to protect Sehun with all his might. He would save him the way Sehun had rescued him so many times before. This time, he would be the one to save Sehun, as one last token of his love.

[3 days later]

Feeling groggy and his vision hazy, Sehun finally woke up from what felt like a great 1 hour nap so he was surprised when Dr. Byun Baekhyun said he had been unconscious for 3 days.

“3 days? Was I that sick?” Sehun asked.

Dr. Baekhyun simply smiled softly, Sehun catching a slight twinge of sadness in it. “You were slightly malnourished and probably overworked yourself hence why the long slumber.”

“Yeah, you were like a log. You didn’t move at all!” Park Chanyeol exclaimed, Sehun not even sure if he was genuinely worried or he was just being annoying as usual. “Hello again, Dr. Byun Baekhyun.”

With an uninterested nod and not even one glance at Chanyeol, Dr. Baekhyun explained that Sehun could leave today after he signed some paperwork and paid the fees. Sehun was only half listening because watching Park Chanyeol exert so much effort into catching the attention of the doctor was hilarious but before he could fully enjoy the moment, the thought of Luhan sprang in his mind.

“Did Luhan come by?” Sehun asked, worried that he startled the guy with his sudden fainting spell.

Chanyeol’s face suddenly hardened which contrasted so much to how he was acting with Baekhyun before. Sehun noticed the two of them sharing a look before Chanyeol cleared his throat. “Sehun… Luhan handed in his one month notice yesterday. He’ll be leaving the company in a month’s time.”

[One Month Later]

Staring out into the clouds that they passed by, Luhan’s head was filled with what to say to Sehun the moment they would meet. Out of sheer luck, Luhan was tasked to oversee the new IT project the company was funding in Japan before he had to quit and it was a welcomed safe house for him after what he had done to Sehun. The clench in his heart tightened at the mere thought of Sehun’s name and it took him all his composure to not bawl out next to his manager in the already crowded plane.

“Ahh, finally going back feels great huh? I can’t wait to see my wife,” the manager cooed.

Luhan could only smile insincerely as he had to tackle the biggest crisis of his life.

Oh Sehun.

[Company HQ]

Luhan stared at the front of his work building for a good ten minutes, contemplating whether to go in or just go home for the day. He kept going back and forth between the pros and cons of meeting Sehun today as well as the day after.

That’s right. I can do this tomorrow. Sehun’s not here anyway, so—

“Yah!” Luhan heard someone yell, and he froze in place despite telling his feet to run.

Feeling the gust of wind beside him, a tall Oh Sehun wearing a dark grey coat greeted him with a scowl.

“H-hi,” Luhan blurted out, all speeches he created the past month flying far away, probably back to Japan.

Sehun’s scowl deepened. “How could you do this to me? Why are you doing this? I… I was worried sick about you!”

Luhan flinched at the tone Sehun was using. Sehun had never been angry at him and it made Luhan scared. Yet, he was glad Sehun looked brighter and better than how he was a month ago. Luhan reached out a hand subconsciously but stopped halfway when he realized what he was doing was going against what he promised himself.

Sehun’s expression softened but his scowl remained. “Explain everything now. Don’t skip any details.”

Luhan didn’t know why but Sehun had a magical pull that made him spill everything despite not wanting to. It was the same way at the rooftop, and it was the same now.

“I’m hurting you. Every time we… we get close, I make you sicker. You could die because of me. I don’t want that. I can’t live with that!” Luhan yelled.

“You don’t believe I can survive being with you?” Sehun asked grumpily.

Luhan nodded a little with his stare boring deep into the ground. “I… don’t want you to get hurt because of me. It was fine before wasn’t it? You—“

“Fine? You think after everything, things can just go back to being… fine?” Sehun asked sarcastically, his tone getting harsher and harsher with every word Luhan was saying. “There’s no way I would allow that.”

Sehun’s firm grip on Luhan’s wrist made it difficult to break free from and Luhan was suddenly locked in Sehun’s car. Luhan wanted to escape, no, he needed to escape. Sehun would be hurt if he was close to him. Sehun didn’t deserve that. Sehun was kind and wonderful even to a demon like him so it’s not right for Sehun to be hurt. Luhan had battled with his conscience so much that it became a habit to the point where he didn’t even realise Sehun’s fingers tracing his jaw.

“You… Don’t hurt yourself like this,” Sehun said, concern lacing his words making Luhan turn to face him.

“Hurt? You’re the one who got hurt ‘cos of… ‘cos of me,” Luhan said difficultly. The memory of Sehun being so sick engraved in his mind.

“I’m fine now, aren’t I?” Sehun said nonchalantly, making Luhan’s blood rise.

“How can you be so carefree! You could’ve died! All because…” Luhan trailed off as he started to feel tears well up.

“Because what?” Sehun asked. “Because we love each other? Because we had ?”

Luhan looked at him in shock.

“I heard from your mother. She’s… not to be taken lightly. That woman,” Sehun said carefully.

“You met my mother?” Luhan asked. Sehun nodded. “Why did she…”

“She was worried about you, though she didn’t express it. She also explained that humans can’t die from having their essence taken from them. Men would drop dead on the streets all the time that way. I only got that sick because… um…”

Luhan furrowed his brows. “What?”

Luhan noticed Sehun’s cheeks colorize into a deep pink. “Because we did it… a lot.”

Now, it was Luhan’s turn to blush like crazy. “O-okay. I get it but I hated it… seeing you that way. I was helpless. I couldn’t do anything…”

He felt Sehun intertwine their fingers together and met eyes with him as he tenderly gazed at Luhan. “I’m sorry.”

Kissing the back of his hand like he did when he confessed, Luhan thought that it was foul play.

“You said not to deny your feelings. That to live a life like that is pitiful. So, take your own advice and just come back to me,” Sehun said seriously, desperation inking his voice. “Please.”

How could Luhan say no to Sehun? It was impossible. He had been living in pure depression for the past month, he had to wonder if it was worth living at all. He yearned for Sehun every day when he was in Japan, and the amount of tears he cried into his pillow would probably make the hotel cleaners cry. Is it so wrong to just love the person he wanted to?

Sehun didn’t break eye contact from Luhan to show how determined he was about winning him back. A month without Xi Luhan in his life was like a living hell. Every step he took and every place he went reminded him of Luhan and he just couldn’t let him go like this, even though all signs pointed that Luhan had ruthlessly and heartlessly left him. He could see Luhan wavering from the movement of his violet hued eyes and he grabbed the chance.

Getting out of the car, Sehun opened Luhan’s side and dragged him to the nearby park. The cold air felt refreshing against his skin as they took a stroll until they reached a secluded area.

Sehun pulled Luhan in for a hug and placed his hands gently at the sides of his face. “Even if you say no, I will love you, Xi Luhan and I’m confident you will too.”

Before Luhan could make another peep, Sehun kissed him genuinely to show how much he loved and missed him all this while. Pulling away, a glimpse of a breathless Luhan made him sure that this path that they were staying on is the right one and that he would do everything in his power to protect it.

Luhan took a step back, concern masking his face. “It’s hard for me to say no to you, Oh Sehun but I’m scared… of hurting you again. I’m a demon after all. I was born to be bad…”

Taking a step forward and placing his hands on the sides of Sehun’s face, Luhan planted a short peck on Sehun’s lips. “But even if I’m scared, even though I’m like this… I’m sure you’ll reassure me. I can’t promise you I won’t try to run again but… I hope you’ll catch me and remind me just how much I love you.”

Sehun felt the insides of his stomach flip and his chest pounded from the joy he was feeling. “I’ll catch you a million times and then some. Demon or human, it doesn’t matter as long as it’s Xi Luhan, because you’re the only person I love this much.”

Luhan buried his face in Sehun’s chest and Sehun felt at peace for the first time in a long time.

Shy and embarrassed, yet happy and fulfilled, Luhan felt safe and protected in Sehun’s embrace, hoping a small hope that their love for one another would overcome everything.

Epilogue

Watching her son and his play thing, Oh Sehun, from a distance, she was glad things worked out in the end for the both of them, though she thought her son could do better.

“Mistress, shouldn’t you tell him?” her servant asked softly, earning him a kick in the shin.

“Don’t boss me around. What good would knowing do? He’ll be even more lovestruck with that kid,” Luhan’s mother scoffed.

Getting up from the pavement, Mr. Byun smiled knowingly at the Mistress. Despite her rough and cold actions, she doted on her one and only son very much and only wanted the best for him. “He looks happy, no?”

“Tch. Happiness is a fleeting thing,” Luhan’s mother stated negatively as she studied her nails.

Mr. Byun stared at the tall young man with the young master by the name of Oh Sehun. By any other pair of eyes, he would just seem like an ordinary human being but God surely created some interesting things in this world.

“To think he’s one of those humans with endless life essence. One of his parents was definitely a strong being. Definitely not human. Ugh. That scrawny little thing,” Luhan’s mother grumbled.

Mr. Byun furrowed his eyebrows as he stared at Oh Sehun. “Why do you dislike him so?”

“Because I didn’t find him first! And I’m not confident against my son! Shut up! Let’s get some macarons!”

With a smack to his head, Mr. Byun trailed along with the Mistress, catching one last glimpse of the young master and his lover. A smile radiated from both their faces and he wished for their eternal happiness despite the surprising future that awaited them.

The End.

A/N:

Hope this was enjoyable for you readers.

Thank you for your time in reading my story. 

Apologies for any shortcomings. 

Please upvote and leave a comment! 

xx