Epilogue

Guarding His Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Epilogue - Six Months Later*

It’s been an arduous process, sussing out anyone who knew of the Vice Premier’s devious scheme. After some bargaining for his life, the Vice Premier turned in his closest business partner who confessed to assisting with the stealing of gold but not knowing of the plan to murder the Crown Prince. Many other court officials were questioned and some dismissed, the king now preferring to take a proactive approach to eliminate potential traitors rather than end up shielding threats to his family or the people’s treasury.

The palace physician was one such casualty, given his suspiciously close relationship with the Vice Premier. Luckily, the Crown Prince is quick to suggest a suitable replacement: Yixing and Chanyeol come to reside in the palace the next day and immediately get to work updating the medical practices for the royal family and friends. They are permitted to hire Baekhyun as a scribe for the medical texts that detail their new techniques and herbal remedies. A few months in, and the court has never been healthier.

As for the Crown Prince and his guard, Kyungsoo uses the persistent concern about enemies in their midst as an excuse to keep Jongin particularly close. He was a mainstay at Kyungsoo’s side before, but Jongin now walks closer, stands guard nearer, and is included in virtually all of the Crown Prince’s activities.

Including his bath routine each night. It started as a simple request to brush out the prince’s hair because he did “such a good job the first time.” Halfway through detangling his hair, Jongin was caught off guard by Kyungsoo grabbing him by the collar and pulling him into the tub.

“Oops. Your uniform is all wet. Guess you have to take it off,” Kyungsoo said cheekily.

After getting over the shock of being in the water with a Crown Prince, Jongin wasted no time ridding himself of his clothes and pinning Kyungsoo back against the tub wall with a fierce kiss. In the privacy of the prince’s bathroom, amid floating rose petals, they could finally express their love openly. Hot breaths mixed love confessions with fervent kisses, their tender words accompanied by passionate touches. Bath water sloshed onto the floor with the movements of their coupling, the sound somewhat drowning out the moans passing between them as they fulfilled their burning desires.

Afterwards, Jongin scrambled on wobbly legs to find enough towels to clean up the flooded room.

“Next time,” Kyungsoo panted, still in the bath and surveying the mess, “I’ll ask them to fill the tub only half full.” The smirk on his lips made it evident he was completely unrepentant. Jongin didn’t hesitate to throw a wet towel at his face, much to Kyungsoo’s delight at his willingness to behave so informally. “Oh ho! Such disrespect. Should I punish you later?” he quipped with a suggestive brow.

Naughty prince.

Wet ‘n’ wild baths aside, the two do their best to keep up all appearances of decorum. Both Jongin and the Crown Prince are alarmed, then, when during one of their afternoon strolls in the gardens, the king sends a messenger to summon the Seja-igwisa. Kyungsoo grasps Jongin’s wrist, preventing him from following the king’s servant.

“He-- he can’t leave me unprotected,” the prince protests.

“Seja-igwisa, the king insisted that you come promptly,” the messenger replies, eyes respectfully low and not directly contradicting Kyungsoo, but making it clear that the Crown Prince does not have proper authority to overrule the king.

“Yes, I understand,” Jongin says, moving to follow the messenger while casting a brave smile at his prince. It’ll be okay, he tries to project, despite his apprehension.

“Well I’m coming, too, then,” Kyungsoo insists. He hastily catches up to walk by Jongin’s side, together to the king’s private quarters.

When they arrive, only Jongin is granted an audience with the king, the Cr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter