The Photograph

The Photograph

What did I do to deserve to wake up like this every morning?

Johnny would later blame his half asleep mind on having such thoughts, because there was no way he would be that soft were he in his right mind.

When he was conscious enough to get the cheesiness off of his mind, Johnny opened his eyes fully, smiling sleepily at the sight of Ten right next to him, peaceful and undisturbed.

“Wake up dumdum,” he whispered.

Ten only hummed, shifting and smushing his face into the pillow.

Johnny understood him, of course. Everything around them was soft, they were tangled in a blanket and each other, they were warm that way and were they to let go or get out, they’d both be cold.

“Wake up,” Johnny whispered again, scooting closer to brush his lips against Ten’s, gently.

“We have practice today, come on.”

Ten protested with another hum, but he finally opened his eyes. He watched Johnny, almost falling back asleep every minute. “I don’t wanna go,” he mumbled.

Johnny cupped his cheek, gently running his thumb along Ten’s bottom lip. “I know, but we have to.”

Ten let his eyes slide shut, leaning into the touch. “Don’t let go of me, okay? I’ll be cold... I don’t wanna be cold.”

“I’ll keep you warm,” Johnny promised and pressed a kiss to Ten’s nose before shuffling out of bed, leaving the other wrapped up in a blanket to stay warm.

Johnny stumbled around the room a bit until he found a hoodie for Ten to put on while they were getting ready for the day.

And like he’d asked, Johnny tried to keep him in an embrace any time they didn’t need to be apart, to keep him warm.

Ten’s sleepiness didn’t seem to go away not when he was dressed, almost ready to get out for breakfast.

But then he just fell back on the bed, draped himself across the sheets and closed his eyes, hoping he’d fall back asleep for the few more minutes Johnny needed to gather his things.

The elder turned around, sighing as he saw the sleepy boy. “Ten, we have to—” But the picture Johnny was faced with as he laid his eyes on the boy left him breathless.

What did I do to deserve him?

“Don’t move.”

Ten shifted, squinting at Johnny with sleepy eyes. “You want me to stay? I thought we had to leave.”

“Just for a second,” the elder explained, searching for his camera. It had to be somewhere around there...

When he found it, he quickly turned around and snapped a few pictures of Ten who looked absolutely ethereal in his sleepy state, the graceful way he was lying down.

Ten opened his eyes then, smiling lazily. “You can’t ever resist me.”

“You know I can’t,” Johnny admitted. After he’d left his camera back on the desk, Johnny kneeled by the bed and pressed the lightest of kisses to Ten’s cheeks and nose. He was nearly afraid to somehow disturb the image or break the delicate boy who trusted him so much.

“Now we have to go.”

Ten didn’t protest anymore. He stood up and took Johnny’s hand, leading him outside.