Seeking comfort

My unhappy ending

Even before James managed to get all of his things, the doorbell rang through the silent apartment. The duo looked at each other with widen eyes, for they never expected the guest to be THAT fast. AJ literally just got off the phone half a minute ago. Whoever that was behind the door must have been in the building when they made the call. AJ had a knowing smile on her face while clicking her tongue. ‘Of course she’s outside already.’

AJ got up to open the door too fast for James’ liking. He didn’t even finish putting on his jacket when he saw none other than the class president standing at the doorstep. ‘Krystal? So that was her on the phone…’

“How long have you been waiting outside?” He heard AJ asked, no greetings whatsoever. ‘Gosh llama, that’s not how you greet someone.’

“Only when I made the call.” James faintly heard the reply when he zipped up the jacket. The whoosh sound made Krystal turn to his direction in bewilder.

“J-James?” Looking back to AJ, she dropped her head a little. “Am I interrupting something? Should I just leave?”

James frantically run to the door, holding it open even wider than AJ did.

“No no no I was just about to leave. We were gaming anyways, no biggies!” He grinned handsomely, causing the girl in front to chuckle.

“Is that so? Then… have a safe trip back home, James.”

He nodded. “I’ll see you tomorrow Krystal. And dude, the Xbox is still on, you might wanna turn it off first.”

‘Will do. Night buddy!”

“Nighty night, llama”.

“He calls you llama?” Krystal asked in amusement, already settling down to the couch.

AJ scrunched up her nose. “Yeah, something about I looked like one, especially when I chew… So.. what brings you here?”

Krystal’s cheerful brown orbs instantly replaced by teary eyes, which alarmed AJ. Moving to the same couch, the shaggy-haired let out a small sigh.

“What’s wrong?”

Fiddling a bit, the class president asked in a shaking voice.

“It’s…nothing actually, but promise you won’t tell anyone?”

“Do I look like I gossip? Besides, if it’s nothing, why are you all teary?” Her hand reached up slowly to wipe the lone tear away. Krystal sniffed before croaking out.

“It’s Kai… he was kinda strange when we hung out today…”

“How strange can he be?” Ever the straight-forward AJ.

“He…was pressuring me…”

“…about what?”

“About…sleeping with him…” Krystal finally confessed, her tears choked back.

“Oh…” The shaggy-haired was at a loss for words. How was she supposed to reply at that moment? Why would Krystal even come to her regarding THAT matter? Despite the rebellious appearance, AJ was rather reserved and very conservative when it comes to acts of affection. She would, by no means, know an answer to that. Krystal was blushing hard it was easily noticeable. She quickly added to the unfinished story.

“But.. I do understand tho. Don’t all guys have the urge to do it with the one they love?”

“NO.” AJ snapped. It came out faster than she expected which even caught she herself off guard. Clearing , she reasoned.

“I mean, it’d be your first time right?” She asked timidly, hoping for an affirmation she didn’t know she needed. Krystal nodded slowly but refused to look at her, her cheeks flushed in a deep shade of red. AJ breathed out in relief, not aware of the fact she was holding her breath.

“The only difference between humans and animals is the ability to think and control our actions. If you’re not ready, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Men would be animals if they could not control their urges… Um… you do understand what I mean right?” Scratching her head awkwardly, AJ tried to lighten up the mood. Looking back at Krystal, the class president was already smiling gratefully at her, her left hand moved on top of AJ’s right hand and gave it a squeeze.

“I do. That’s exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for listening to my story.”

AJ walked the brunette back home as per usual. This time tho, the two of them came upon a fierce-looking man who AJ knew for sure was Krystal’s father.

Bowing her head in respect, she greeted the middle-aged man, but Mr. Jung misunderstood the situation.

“Young man, I don’t know who you are but if you were to take my daughter out, please take note of the time. Don’t you have school tomorrow too?”

AJ froze in panic. Before she could open , the brunette beat her to it.

“Dad! You got it all wrong. This is Amber, she just transferred to my class this year. We were just hanging at her place I lost track of time so she offered to walk me back, right Amber?” Giving the shaggy-haired one a light nudge and a wink, AJ immediately played along.

“Yes, sir. I apologize for keeping her at my place for too long. We were chatting and did not realize how late it was.”

Mr. Jung’s face relaxed right away, his eyes softened.

“Is that so? Well thank you Amber for walking my princess back. You see, this one is hopeless with directions. Are you okay walking home by yourself?” He chirped good-naturedly.

‘I see where she got her chirpiness from.’ AJ smiled and shook her head.

“I’m good, sir. I get mistaken as a guy quite often so no one bullies me.” Letting out a toothy grin, she took a step back, getting ready to leave.

“Oh my… that is so not nice. You better get going before it’s too late, Amber. And please feel free to come over some times, any friend of Soojung’s is a friend of ours too!” He chirped once more, and AJ honestly hadn’t felt that warm in a while.

“I sure will. Have a good night sir. It was very nice meeting you.” AJ bowed for the last time, waving at Krystal.

“See you at school, Soojung.”

As AJ’s silhouette disappeared at the corner, Mr. Jung spun his daughter into the house, his bubbly voice rang through the silence of the night.

“Ah Amber, seems like a very good kid, right princess?”

“Yes, dad. She’s a good one.”