The Transferee

My unhappy ending

[Flashback – Amber’s sophomore year in high school]

Shaggy hair and baggy clothes, perhaps the most exact description of Amber Liu, the transferee that avoided social interactions as much as possible. The first impression of her to classmates and everyone else at school was just, well, for a lack of better words, cold. A simple, lack of expression “Call me AJ” was all said as an introduction to her classmates. Having to transfer schools every two years had become a routine AJ had gotten used to due to the nature of her parents’ business, and so the 15-year-old girl decided not to stay close friends with anybody to avoid sad goodbyes. Flopping down to the only empty seat by the window, she remained unamused throughout that day, as well as the first month of school.

Until the basketball club announced a try-out for that school year.

“Hey you.”

Her classmate, whom she actually remembered as the Krystal Jung, the class president, looked up from her current seat on the try-out bench, obviously confused of the reason AJ was calling her.

“That’s mine you’re holding”. Came the short reply pertaining to the orange ball in her hand.

The class president immediately dropped the ball, making it bounce a few meters before clumsily picking it up and returning it to its rightful owner.

“I’m so sorry, it was lying in a corner so I thought it belonged to the club.” She apologized profusely, her cheeks blushed in a shade of deep red.

Waving her off, AJ nodded and was about to walk away until she felt slender fingers wrapping around her arm.

“Umm we’re actually in the same class if you haven’t realized. My name’s Krystal Jung.” The girl tried to initiate a conversation only to be cut off abruptly.

“I know. You’re the class president.” Boy did Krystal’s eyes widened, forming a perfect “O” shape.

“You know?”

AJ nodded and shrugged at the same time. The clueless action made Krystal giggle a bit, and for AJ, that giggle strangely made her heart flutter a tiny bit, not that she actually took note of.

 

“Hey you.”

Krystal happily skidded into the basketball court behind the school’s gym that afternoon. They had been accepted to the basketball club along with several other girls in the same class and were staying after school for practice sessions. After that day, Krystal did get herself a new basketball, an exact one with AJ’s nonetheless.

“I got the same one with you!” She announced cheerfully, to AJ’s dismay.

Noticing the white scribble on the orange ball, AJ cocked her head to the side.

“What’s with the scribble?”

“Oh it’s my initial, KJ as in Krystal Jung. I wrote it real pretty, didn’t I?” Without waiting for AJ’s reply, she realized another thing. “But hey it kinda looks like AJ too, from this angle, don’t you think?”

“Whatever, the correction fluid will wear off in no time.” Grumbled AJ.

A head suddenly popped out of nowhere “Or it could stand for Kim Jongin as well, right gorgeous?”

The school jock appeared all of a sudden, standing right behind the two of them. Kai, real name Kim Jongin, was the assigned coach for the girls’ basketball team, striker of the senior boys’ team. To most of the girls at school, he was the coolest, most handsome varsity player, the pride of the college; yet to AJ, he was nothing but a retake, one whose body functioned better than his brain.

Kai was an infamous heartbreaker, but that didn’t stop girls from fangirling over him. And that included Krystal as well, who was all flustered after his lame pick-up line and flirtatious smile. Looking at her blushing cheeks, AJ couldn’t help but snicker in annoyance before walking away.

“Hey you.”

Krystal called out but saw that AJ was actually sleeping in a corner of the basketball field during lunch break, the trees provided a comforting shade on an early autumn afternoon. The fallen leaves gathered around the sleeping girl, together with the sparkling sunshine reflected on AJ’s sweaty face created an ethereal picture which Krystal felt the need to capture, only to have the shutter sound wake the shaggy-haired one.

“It’s not nice to take pictures of a sleeping person, you know?”

 Heat rising up to the former’s cheeks, Krystal shyly lowered her phone and moved closer, offering some of her lunch.

“Do you want some? I noticed you left right after class, and I just happened to pack more food than usual.”

“I already ate. Thanks.” Came the usual short reply, yet Krystal didn’t mind. That was just AJ’s awkwardness which she had gotten used to the past months.

“Why are you sleeping here? Isn’t it hot? You could just go into one of the empty classrooms, I’m sure no one would mind, it’s lunch break anyways.”

Not only she was the class president, Krystal’s mom was the former principal of the college. She knew every crook and nook of the college, as well as every personnel there. AJ took note of that after having her hanging around a few times, yet never thought of taking advantages of those connections for her own benefits.

“Doesn’t matter. I’m up now, will head to class first.”

Strangely, the cold tone and that composure triggered the curiosity in Krystal. She needed to get to know more about this mysterious classmate of hers.

“Hey you.”

James, AJ’s seatmate, gave a hard slap on her shoulder as his usual way of greeting. Plopping down to the seat, he shared what he just witnessed in the hallway.

“Guess what? The school jock and miss class president are an item now. I saw them walking together, holding hands even.”

James was not a gossiper by nature, perhaps that was how and why they became friends. He only talked about what intrigued him, and to think he actually cared about that was odd. AJ didn’t even look at him, for all her attention was devoted into her PSP, playing the latest release of God of War. Still not taking her eyes off of the game, she questioned.

“Why do you care?”

James pulled his books out of his backpack while keeping up with the conversation.

“I have a bad feeling about this. Since you’re friends with Krystal, I think you should keep an eye on her.”

AJ was baffled. Why on earth should she be meddling with other’s relationship? Krystal and her talked a few times did not make them best of friends to do such thing. Noticing the perplexed look on her face, James chuckled.

“I didn’t know the composed AJ can look that adorable.” Yet he switched to serious mode right away. “I know you haven’t been here long enough to realize but that dude is trouble. I was surprised when I saw them together. You know, I actually thought she had the hots for you, considering how much she tried to get your attention.”

“What are you talk-“

BRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

Saved by the bell they said. AJ glared at the cheeky seatmate. James was having too much fun messing with her that day.