P1 Trapped.

Trapped in a well shaft.

So I ended up splitting this into two parts so here is part one. 

 

 

 

 

In a quiet kind neighbourhood. Where the most excitements are weddings and birthday parties. A young boy of age three smiles brightly as he rushes from his family car to his older by one year friend called Choi Minho. The two embrace with a fit of laughter and cheers. The elder of the two had been waiting eagerly all morning for his arrival. They was currently at the elders boys aunts home, who is about to childmind the two for the day, a common act of her living job. While their parents worked long hours or even away, they paid her to care for the two. She often had other children too mostly on weekdays but today it was just Taemin and Minho, as she had just moved into this new bigger practical home. She wanted them to test out the garden. It had already taken a while to move all toys from one home to another. The climbing frame the swing sets the toys. The sandpit. But she was finally settled in to open up her new home for work. Minho was family and Taemin his best friend and so they would get to see everything first.

 

The aunt smiles as she watches them holding hands and rushing around to view the new home. At least in the rooms she allowed, the blue room, the red room, the nap room. She stands at the kitchen entrance as they finally join her.  ‘Shall I make you those sandwiches?’

 

The two nod.

 

‘Want to try out the new garden?’

 

They grin and nod more.

 

And so as young boys do, the two rushed out to the back garden to play. Taemin the youngest of the two often liked hunting for pebbles. Though needed Minho to protect him from the bugs. Since the garden was new to them it was like a brand new adventure. Taemin would rush along the garden and pick up pebble after pebble, rock after rock. And Minho would hold onto them. Eventually they found an area of overgrown grass. With a large heavy rock placed over a hidden round piping. Minho being the eldest shoved the rock away with a few good pushes. Once off, they both leaned over to see inside. It was kinda dark, but it’s a new mystery to them. Taemin squats down and points. ‘Mino...I fink i see stones’.

 

Minho leans closer and reaches in his arm, he can feel a few thin branches that have grown through the well wall, and he also can feel the tip of something hard like a round pebble. He looks at Taemin ‘I will climb in a get it for you!’.He says with a smile.

 

The elder boy is confident he can step on the branch and grab it, as his arm cannot pull it from this angel. As Taemin steps back. Minho drops his right leg in first, and his toe steps onto the branch.

 

...

 

Taemin is screaming loudly pleading for help. Tears in his eyes. He is shouting and crying and Minho’s aunt drops the food in her hands, rushing outside in panic. ‘What is it? What is it?’

The small boy pulls her by the hand ‘Mino! Mino!’ He weeps ‘Mino fall down hole!’

 

The aunt frowns rushing with him as he leads her to the hole she hadn’t realised was at the far end of her new garden. When she realises it is a well shaft, and how small it is for herself to climb in, she drops to her knees at it and panics. ‘MINHO!’

 

The young male is heard with it, he is crying. ‘Help me!’ he calls. ‘Help me Auntie!’

 

Taemin is looking to the aunt with hope. But her panicked shrieks, as she reaches in her arm to grab at the child, then bangs her hands on the ground in pure hysteric panic, as he is too far down worries him. The aunt then rushes to the house grabbing her phone and calling for police. Taemin is still crying and looks down to see if he can see his best friend.

 

 

Kim Jonghyun bolts up at the calling from the car mic. ‘Yeah… what is it?’ He grumbles into it.

 

‘We have an accident going on, something about a kid in a well, can you check it out?’

 

Jonghyun shuffles sorting out his ruffled uniform. ‘My job ain't it!’ He turns on his sirens of the Police care and follows the instruction given and which home to find. On arrival, there are just the pale aunt who looks lost beyond reason, and Taemin. The aunt is panicked walking back and forth, like she has so much to do and so little time. And yet Taemin is still next to the well. He’s there listening to Minho’s pleads for help out of there. Because nothing has been done yet.

 

‘Miss can you tell me what happened?’

 

‘I dunno, I was inside making sandwiches and the little kid. He said that he fell down the well.’ She points at where Taemin is. ‘My nephew... He’s in that well shaft, it’s small and I can't get in it. What am I going to do!’.She grips her hair in despair and covers her face. ‘My brother will never forgive me for this!’

 

Jonghyun gently pats her shoulder. The officer then walks over, kneeling beside Taemin and looking into the small hole. ‘What’s his name?’

 

‘Mino!’ Taemin sobs. ‘Mino...can you get out? Mino scared!’

 

He smiles reassuringly at the child ‘I will do whatever I can do get your friend out okay?’

 

Taemin nods and the officer leans on his tummy, and tilts his head in at the hole entrance. He then grabs his flashlight and points it down. He can just about see him. ‘Minho? Minho can you hear me? My name is Jonghyun I am a police officer. Hello?’

 

‘Help me?’ The boys voice echos up ‘Help me!’ The fears is there. This young boy wants out and quickly. ‘Please help me!’ he begs and cries making Jonghyun pout.

 

‘Minho can you tell me how you fell down the well?’

 

The sobs quiet for a moment. ‘I stood on a branch and it broke and I fell in’. He tells. ‘Can you get me out! Please it’s dark down here!’

 

‘I’m gonna do whatever  I can to get you out Minho I promise’. He pulls the radio mic on his shoulder. ‘Hello, this is Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun area 6. Code 543 you gotta get down here. There is a kid stuck in a well shaft’. He looks at Taemin whose wet eyes are looking hopeful. ‘We gotta get him out’.

 

 

It already been two hours when Minho’s parents have finally been contacted and arrive, his mother is panicked and screams for her son to let him know she is there. He calls her name but it’s quieter than before. His mother sobs hard, turning to the police officer knelt down next to it. ‘Why haven't we got him out yet?’

 

‘I’m afraid it’s a bit more serious that we thought. Your son has already slipped further down the shaft after moving too much in panic. His arms are too small and weak preventing him from holding onto any rope. He says he has one leg stuck up the shaft. We think as he fell in, his legs split and that’s what keeping him wedged fully, we are lucky he didn’t go straight down. But we need you to be calm Mrs Choi Please.’

 

The mother sobs leaning over the hole and telling Minho she will get him out. She promises. Taemin is still there, curled up hugging his knees. He won't leave. Minho was just meant to get him a pebble that was all.  When his parents arrive it’s a fight to drag him from the site. No adult can make him move. No matter how many times he is taken inside he rushes back to Minho’s side.

 

The sky has turned dark. There is a crowd of workers and police and even a few reporters. And Jonghyun is struggling to hear from Minho. He is shouting Minho’s name but he cannot be heard. ‘Minho? Minho? Can you hear me Minho?’

 

‘I think it’s too cold down there’. A paramedic by the name of Kim Kibum speaks. ‘We need to get him heat and oxygen now, the lower he gets the worse it can be. If he stays in that position with his leg above him, heaven only knows what will happen because the blood won't be circulating properly. If he is there longer than 24 hours we might be having to aputate when he does get out.’

 

Jonghyun gulps and returns to shouting for Minho.

 

Kibum looks at Taemin who is sleepily sat, head lolling around as he starts anxiously waiting for Minho to make a noise or speak. ‘Hey Taemin?’

 

The little boy looks over.

 

‘Why don’t you go inside an rest your eyes. You need your nap’.

 

Taemin shakes his head. ‘No...Mino has to go out first’.

 

The two male sigh. Jonghyun pulls off his uniform jacket and places it around him. ‘You're gonna need this if you stay with us tonight’. Taemin wraps it around himself. ‘Fankyo’

 

Kibum leans closer to the well. ‘Minho?’ Minho?’

 

‘Do we have a microphone we can drop down?’

 

Kibum glances around and spots the TV crew. He walks over to the man with the camera. ‘How long is the wire to that mic?’

 

‘About a 3 meters with the extension?’

 

‘Good! Give it, we need it?’

 

The camera man laughs ‘Why would I give it to you?’

 

‘Because if you do we let you have the exclusive, you -’ he pauses his curse to look at Taemin who is pouting at the man to help. ‘Because that Kid needs to hear his friend’.

 

The camera man sighs. ‘You can have it, I want my exclusive’.

 

Kibum takes what he can, then using what else they drop the mic down and connect it to a speaker.

 

‘Minho?’ He calls.

 

‘Minho can you hear us?’ Jonghyun speaks.

 

Taemin frowns now fustrated with still not hearing his friends and leans closer, and with the top of his lungs he shouts. ‘MINO!!! Wake up and talk!’

 

‘Taemin?’ The sleepy voice is heard by many.

 

‘Minho can you hear us?’

 

‘Yeh’ he speaks. ‘It’s cold down here. I can’t-  I’m tired’. The child begins to cry again.

 

Kibum sighs ‘I knew it’ he looks at Jonghyun ‘We need to get him out soon what is taking so long to find someone to help this kid!!’.

 

Taemin is holding a teddy close. His mother has a radio mic in it and is keeping a listen with Minho’s parents from inside. They are close with his parents and are wanting Minho out just as much as their son. Since daylight has already faded into the night and way past the boys bedtime they worry for them both. But as long as Jonghyun and Kibum watch over Taemin and keep him warm, a continue to watch over Minho they should be fine.

 

It’s nearing 6am the next morning. And still Minho is trapped.

 

‘Minho! Minho can you hear me? Minho please talk back to me? Hellooo Minho! Come on kid talk to us we need to hear you? We need to know you are okay?’ Jonghyun’s voice is a little horse from all the shouting. He glances at Kibum who is checking the oxygen tank that’s been changed over. Around them and into the well is one long tube providing warm air for Minho. Another providing oxygen. There is the mic cord hung down so they can hear the male up top in the speaker. But as crowds made its appearance. Mostly the press. And they are noisy preventing the officer from hearing well.  

 

‘Minho please can you hear me? hello??’

 

Jonghyun sighs, as Kibum joins him.

 

‘He must be petrified. I don't know how we can get him to talk’.

 

As everyone around is talking loudly there are construction workers and others sorts around trying to make a plan and police that are cornering off the garden to prevent more people. The two male are only focused on Minho. Kibum wonders if Minho’s mothers might be able to help. But Jonghyun reminds him that she’s inside inside because the issue itself is too overwhelming for her.

 

Taemin appears after his mother forced him to change his clothes eat some breakfast and have a nappy change. He is almost running to Minho’s side and looks dissapointed that he is still in the hole.

 

‘When Mino out!!’

 

‘We need him to talk Taemin… can you talk to him?’

 

The child shouts his name a few times but he gets no response so leans in and to the surprise of everyone. He starts to sing.

 

‘One ickkle piggie go Oink oink oink. One ickkle sheepy go Baa baa baaa. One ickkle doggie go woof woof woof… Mino turn?’

 

He waits

 

He pauses and everyone around holds their breaths. Taemin is worried then slowly Minho’s voice can be heard echoing up.

 

‘And the cat on the fence goes Meow meow meow’.

 

Everyone sighs in relief. And Taemin smiles. Jonghyun leans closer to him and joins Taemin as the continues the song.

 

‘The duck in the pond goes Quack quack quack! The cow in the barn goes Moo Moo Moo!’.

‘The horse on the field goes Nehaw nehaw!.’

 

They wait and again Minho voice responds.

 

‘And the rooster on the roof goes Cockadoodledooo!

 

‘Mino you kay?’ Taemin asks. ‘Tell kay!?’

 

‘I’m sleepy and cold’ a voice is heard from the speaker. ‘Cold… Taemin can they get me out?’

 

Kibum turns to the people who are providing the aired heat. ‘Turn it up please’.

 

‘Mino… Taeme miss you. I not go till you out? I will sleep here kay?’

 

‘Will they get me out?’ the boy sounds fearful. It feels forever down there. He seems to have lost hope already.

Taemin looks at the others. The adults, the Police, the Paramedics, the News crews, the people who are meant to be saving Minho. They don't really know what to say, Taemin doesn't believe them when they give him false hope. Soon he knows is just a lie. He turns back to the well and leans in.

 

‘Mino be out cause Taeme say so!’. He gives the elders a warning glare. He means business. ‘You get Mino out!’

 

Kibum wraps a blanket around the younger boy, and lets him settle on his lap to keep him warm it’s gonna be another long day..

 

...

 

Lee Jinki enters the yard area. The green grass in covered in planks of wood, and there are cars, and trucks and many many people. He is lead through it all, and over to the chief of the investigation. Where he is introduced to the family.

 

‘This is Lee Jinki, he is the man who goes down and finds the bodies of miners who have gotten trapped in caves. He finds them and brings them back up’.

 

‘Dead bodies you mean’ Minho's mother hisses. ‘I want my baby out alive’.

 

Jinki nods to that ‘So do I! I have found many dead people yes. But I have also found people alive and gotten them out too’. He looks at the father ‘I’m your best hope, but I need your trust that I will do whatever I can to get your son out! No matter what the challenge. I have never started something without finishing it too’.

 

The father is quiet, he has been since he found out where his son was. Then he nods. ‘Get my son out. Please’.

 

‘How old is the kid?’

 

‘3 nearly 4’

 

‘How far down?’

 

‘We have the information here. He had slipped around 22 feet below ground. He’s now wedged in, and hasn't moved. But he is more lower than we would have like him to be, another 6 ft and he hits the water underground. We would rather he stay wedged, than slip further. We are aiming to find him by digging a huge hole alongside him and then across to him’.

 

The detective shows a diagram. Jinki frowns and shakes his head. ‘You need to go lower, dig across and then hopefully we can block the under part and pull him down and through. If you go straight at him you might end up slicing the kid in two’.

 

He grabs the papers heads outside the others following.

 

Taemin is snoozing in Kibum's lap. Jonghyun is currently singing a song which Minho is singing along too as well. Jinki investigating is shocked by the size of the hole.

‘He fell down that!’ He gasps.

 

The two males and Taemin who awakes in surprise of the voice, looks at the man. Jinki sighs. ‘This may be trickier than I thought’.

 

 

 

 

(May have to do some edits as I read over this in the morning. But please do leave comments so I know if it's any good. GiGi. )