Chapter One

Symbiosis

Pacing back and forth in the middle of Chaeyoung’s living room, was a girl she would consider family.

 

“So let me get this straight, Son Chaeyoung.” Her voice threatening to grow louder. “You mean to tell me, that you want us to help you fight the Dark Lord for a- a witch?!”

 

Chaeyoung would be lying to say she wasn’t a little intimidated. “Pretty much.” She responded weakly, under the strong glare from the other girl.

 

“Ease up a little, Nayeon.” A new voice cut in coolly. Chaeyoung and Nayeon both directed their attention to the new speaker.

 

“You can’t tell me that you’re not even a little angry, Jeongyeon.” Nayeon seethed.

 

“Oh believe me, I am.” Jeongyeon said darkly. “I’m just better at masking my emotions than you are.”

 

Nayeon grumbled a response, but it was clear she calmed down a little.

 

“So,” Jeongyeon said, looking around the room. “Where’s the witch?”

 

Chaeyoung had forgotten about her and that was the reason why everyone was here in the first place.

 

“Oh I told her to hide in case someone tried to kill her on sight.” Chaeyoung said, glancing at Nayeon who only huffed in return. “You can come out now Jihyo.”

 

And just like that, she loomed out of the shadows once again.

 

The air in the room immediately grew tense as everyone’s guards went up.

 

“Hi.” Jihyo waved her hand, but nobody waved back. 

 

Nayeon scowled. “Witch.”

 

“Ah yes, that is I.” Jihyo said with a smile. “You are all quite a friendly bunch aren’t you?”

 

“We can be.” Jeongyeon said while walking over towards Jihyo and extending her hand. “I’m Jeongyeon, and the person glaring daggers at you is Nayeon.”

 

Jihyo shook her hand, “it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

 

“Why are you being so friendly with her? She’s a witch, a murderer.” Nayeon chided.

 

“She hasn’t killed anyone.” Everyone turned to look at Chaeyoung. “Well I don’t think she’s killed anyone just because she felt like it.”

 

“And that’s supposed to make her better than those who kill for enjoyment?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Nayeon was shocked to say the least. “Are you some kind of witch sympathizer? Even after what happened?” She looked at Chaeyoung with a hidden sadness.

 

“Nayeon...” Jeongyeon’s voice was a warning for Nayeon to tread carefully with her words.

 

Chaeyoung stilled. “That... that has nothing to do with our current situation. My feelings regarding that are different than the ones I have right now.” She didn’t want to think about the memory that was hidden deep within.

 

“When I looked into Jihyo’s eyes, I could tell she was sincere with needing help. That’s why I asked you to help me with this. You guys are my family.”

 

Nayeon went silent and Jeongyeon looked at her as if she was trying to read her thoughts.

 

“Fine,” Nayeon sighed. “But we’re going to need to upgrade our equipment.”

 

“If I may,” Jihyo spoke, taking a step forward. “I have something that could help tremendously.”

 

¤¤¤¤¤

 

Placed in front of the girls, were crystals all in various colors.

 

"What are they?" Nayeon asked, keeping a safe distance from the unusual objects.

 

"They're elementi crystallinam." Jihyo answered, in an unfamiliar language. "Or to translate, they're elemental crystals."

 

Jeongyeon's eyes widened in surprise. "So these little things have elements inside?" She said while picking up a light purple one and examining it.

 

"Precisely! The one you're holding right now contains a lightning aspect." Jihyo said with excitement.

 

Chaeyoung herself was examining a few. One that was dark blue, and another that was a dark red-orange. "How do these work?"

 

"Well, for witches that were not born with the natural ability to perform magic, they use these for alchemy and spells. If you were to embed them into your weapons of choice, those weapons would be enhanced with that certain element." Jihyo confidently recited. 

 

"Were you born with the ability to use magic?" Chaeyoung asked.

 

congelationis.”

 

"Bless you."

 

Suddenly, the temperature dropped drastically and frost immediately started to form.

 

"A-alright, we g-get it." Nayeon said through chattering teeth. Watching as frost began to creep up her arm.

 

"tabula rasa!"

 

As soon as those words left Jihyo's mouth, everything went back to normal. 

 

"Woah." Jeongyeon whispered in astonishment. "That was so cool." Everyone groaned at her poor attempt of a pun.

 

Now aware of how much power Jihyo held, Chaeyoung was even more aware that if she did proceed to attack Jihyo previously, she'd be the one dead.

 

"I think it's painfully obvious that we desperately need these crystals if we even want to stand a chance against the Dark Lord." Chaeyoung reasoned. "We should pay Dahyun and Mina a visit at the smithy."

 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon nodded their heads in unison.

 

"Who are Dahyun and Mina?" Jihyo asked curiously.

 

"Blacksmiths."

 

¤¤¤¤¤

 

"So," Jihyo began trying to make conversation as the quad trekked through the woods. "What are Dahyun and Mina like?"

 

"None of your business." Nayeon grumbled, getting a warning look from Jeongyeon. "What? It's not like she has to know."

 

"Jihyo has been nothing but nice to us and yet you still want to act like that." Jeongyeon said shaking her head.

 

Nayeon shrugged her shoulders and continued walking ahead.

 

Chaeyoung sighed. "I'd apologize for her attitude towards you, but there's history and reasons behind it so I can't truly blame her."

 

Jihyo nodded her head in understanding. "No, I get it. I don't want to be asking for help from witch hunters either but here we are."

 

Chaeyoung couldn't help but laugh a little. "Yeah, but to answer your question about Dahyun and Mina, they're like the nicest people ever. Dahyun has been my best friend for years now and has the sickest colored hair, while Mina is a weapon genius."

 

Jihyo smiled at the younger girl. "Oh? I look forward to meeting them then."

 

Chaeyoung smiled in return and continued walking in a less tense silence until an explosion was heard in the distance.

 

"That came from Mina and Dahyun's place!" Nayeon yelled over her shoulder. "Let's pick up the pace."

 

The four of them shortly arrived in front of a little house made of stone with visible smoke coming out from everywhere.

 

"Dahyun I told you not to mix those two metals together." A voice scolded through the smoke.

 

Dahyun smiled cheekily at the older girl who helped get her outside. "I know you did Mina, but you know my impulse control is zero."

 

Nayeon coughed drawing attention to her and the others making their presence known.

 

Dahyun lifted her soot-filled goggles and smiled at the sight. "Well look what the cat dragged in."