Prologue

Symbiosis

It was hunting season, Chaeyoung's favorite season. Hunting deer, duck, and rabbit was nice and all but that wasn't what Chaeyoung was particularly interested in. No, she enjoyed the thrill of hunting those that had sold their souls to the devil. That's right, witches.

 

Chaeyoung trudged along a dense forest with her rifle, aiming at whatever she deemed fit to get some practice in. Now, has Chaeyoung ever killed a witch before? No, but her family has gone generations of being witch hunters and it just so happened that she was now old enough to kill one, or several, but Chaeyoung knew that being cocky could end up getting her killed instead.

 

Clicking her tongue for the umpteenth time as she missed her target, Chaeyoung decided it was time to head home and cook herself a warm meal because it was cold and she hated the cold. But upon arrival, Chaeyoung noticed that the door to her humble abode was a little ajar. 

 

'That's odd,' She thought to herself. Chaeyoung kept her guard up as she entered the house, checking all the rooms, closets, cellar, and basement for signs of an intruder. When she didn't find one, she let out a deep breath relaxing her nerves before preparing dinner.

 

While preparing dinner, Chaeyoung felt a chill creep up her neck which was strange because she was standing right next to the stove but she looked around for the source of her discomfort and again saw that the door was open, letting in a frigid breeze.

 

"What the hell?" Chaeyoung said, obviously perplexed. "I could've sworn I locked it." She made her way over to it once again, locking and shutting it, double checking that it was secured. Satisfied, she turned back to finish her cooking only to stop dead in her tracks. Over in the kitchen stood a woman tasting Chaeyoung's not quite ready yet chicken alfredo. 

 

Quicker than the eye could see, Chaeyoung had a knife pressed to the woman's throat. "Who are you and how did you get in here?" Chaeyoung asked, tightening her grip on the knife. The woman smirked and with a snap of her finger, vanished from Chaeyoung's grasp.

 

"Now, now, is that any way to treat a guest?" Her question asked in amusement. Chaeyoung couldn't tell where this person's voice was coming from. It was if she was talking from everywhere like an echo.

 

Growing frustrated with her childish games, Chaeyoung shouted. "Stop toying with me witch!" her voice laced with venom. "Tell me what you want before I kill you." There was silence and for a split second, Chaeyoung thought she had left until she saw the woman's figure step out from the shadows with her hands up in defeat.

 

"Fine, but just for the record, you couldn't kill me even if you tried your hardest." The witch said while pouting in a way that Chaeyoung was sure she was mocking her.

 

Unamused, Chaeyoung stepped towards her with the knife still in hand, ready to pierce the witch's heart when given the chance. "I told you to tell me what you want, witch."

 

"Well, this witch has a name and it's Jihyo for your information."

 

"I don't care."

 

"Jeez, so much for formalities." Jihyo shrugged, smiling. "I guess I'll tell you then."

 

Chaeyoung didn't say anything, but acknowledged the witch's words with a nod.

 

"This isn't easy for me to say, especially since it's coming from a more than proficient witch as myself," Jihyo said with a hint of arrogance. "But I need your help."

 

To say that Chaeyoung wasn't shocked at least a little bit would be a lie.

 

"Why?" Chaeyoung finally managed to croak out.

 

Jihyo's grin grew into a full blown smile. "Because I want to kill the Dark Lord."

 

Chaeyoung froze.

 

‘Kill the Dark Lord?’ She had to laugh, it was utter insanity. “You can’t kill the demon king, it’s impossible.”

 

“Alright so maybe I got a little ahead of myself,” Jihyo confessed. “But I still need to find a way to clear my name and not be branded as a traitor.”

 

Chaeyoung was confused. "What did you do?"

 

"Well, you see... I kinda, maybe, disobeyed a direct order from him..." Jihyo whispered while pushing her fingers together in an innocent manner.

 

Again, Chaeyoung couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Disobeying a direct order from your God? Are you stupid?"

 

"Hey!" Jihyo shouted. "It was for good reason. He wanted me to kill an innocent."

 

Chaeyoung's brows furrowed, "You didn't kill them?"

 

Jihyo looked taken aback. "What? Of course not! I may be a witch that praises Satan himself, but I am not a cold-blooded murderer."

 

Chaeyoung would say that she had good sense to tell if someone was lying or not, and looking in Jihyo's eyes, she knew she was telling the truth.

 

Sighing, she asks, "so why me of all people? Why not get help from those in your coven?"

 

For a split second, the young witch had a look of sadness which vanished as quickly as it came.

 

"I was kicked out."

 

"You were what?" Chaeyoung asked in disbelief.

 

“Yeahhh,” Jihyo sheepishly smiled. “Word travels fast when you’re defiant towards our leader.”

 

Nursing her temples from aggravation, Chaeyoung finds it within herself to ask one last question, hoping for an answer that won’t further piss her off.

 

“Is there anyone that you can still turn to?” Her annoyance evident in her tone. “Because you and I both know that if I were to help you, I still wouldn’t be enough. I mean it’s Lucifer for Christ sake!”

 

Jihyo thought to herself for a minute before speaking again. “I suppose there are a few others I could ask, but what about you? You can’t be the only capable witch hunter around here.”

 

“And I’m not,” Chaeyoung replied. “But asking witch hunters to help a witch, is like asking for a death wish.”

 

Chaeyoung paused, getting a confused look from Jihyo. 'Am I actually considering helping out a witch? Disregarding everything I've been taught about them?' She gave Jihyo a once over, and for the first time, actually took her all in. 'From what I can tell so far, she doesn't seem like an evil monster, stories have portrayed witches to be.'

 

Jihyo shifted uncomfortably under Chaeyoung's intense gaze. "What is it?"

 

Ignorant to her staring, Chaeyoung snapped out of it. "Nothing, but how can I really be certain you won't kill me the second I turn my back?"

 

"Because you don't reek of blood from slain witches." Chaeyoung's eyes widened. "You can trust me, I promise." Jihyo said, crossing her heart in an upside down cross.

 

Weighing her options, Chaeyoung came to a consensus. "Alright I'll help you, but if you break your promise, I will kill you." Her eyes were hard and cold, watching as Jihyo nodded her head. 

 

"Now then, let me call in some reinforcements." Chaeyoung said, pulling out her phone.

 

"Wait, I thought you said there weren't any hunters that would help me?" Jihyo asked surprised.

 

"There aren't," Chaeyoung answered. "But there are those that would probably help me."

 

"Oh, that's great! Who are they?"

 

Chaeyoung grinned, "only the best."